Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kind of off topic, but are the Witcher books worth reading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Lyer posted:

Yes! I recently finished all 7 and they're pretty decent overall. You'll understand more about the lore and history of the Northern Kingdoms and Nilfgaard that occurred in the games after the fact. There are two books already translated to English that you can buy. The others you'll have to get the fan translations from the witcher community forums.

I never played the first game but as far as I can tell the Witcher 2 continues from a point in the last book before it wraps up and pretends what happened past that point in the book didn't exist. I've seen the opening cutscene in the Witcher 1 where he's hunting that monster in a castle and that's in one of the short stories about Geralt.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh my god where is my Quen what happened here this makes me so sad

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always

Lyer posted:

I just finished The Last Wish and it's pretty B grade fantasy that's really only notable for having a more interesting concept than your straight run of the mill stuff, though part of that probably comes from losing a bit to translation. It's a short story collection though, so some are better than others. If you like the game it's definitely worth a read.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Is there another download link for the official mod?

I'm itching to try it out, but the link is getting hammered.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

General Morden posted:

Same here, the register and login have disappeared upon refreshing so there no way to grab it right now if you weren't login.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

Same here, the register and login have disappeared upon refreshing so there no way to grab it right now if you weren't login.

The download isn't working anyway. I'm reading that people who were mid-download lost their progress and when I went to try it just doesn't load.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

General Morden posted:

Torrent link to the mod here:

It's about 1.45GB

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x1snh40a52h7fdv/77_28dd2c7955ce926456240b2ff0100bde.zip.torrent

SmartCunt
Feb 10, 2005
hey whats up
so I picked up the enhanced edition last week but figured I'd wait until this new mod came out, I've played the game before but couldn't get into it because of the combat. do people recommend playing with a gamepad, or kb&m?

I'm excited to try out my new graphics card, this game looks pretty :haw:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

SmartCunt posted:

so I picked up the enhanced edition last week but figured I'd wait until this new mod came out, I've played the game before but couldn't get into it because of the combat. do people recommend playing with a gamepad, or kb&m?

I'm excited to try out my new graphics card, this game looks pretty :haw:

Coming from someone who couldn't get into the gameplay because of the combat but finally overcoming that thanks to goon tips, I use KB+M. Then again I haven't tried using a controller for this in months so...

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Does the combat mod require a new game? I just started one a few nights ago, not super far in yet but I'd rather not repeat it all again so quickly.

Snake Charmer
Aug 8, 2004

Thank you so much for this

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I prefer gamepad, but the inventory and other menus are essentially unusable. I think the combat is a lot more enjoyable, though.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Strategic Tea posted:

Wait, so Winter Is Coming? :v: I'm listening to the Yogscast interview in the background and now I see what I mean when they say it's Game of Thrones from before Game of Thrones.

Hell, that plot element was rolled out even in the very first (localized) Witcher book. In The Last Wish, it is mentioned on several occasions that there is some kind of creeping environmental shift that's going to make things much less hospitable for humans over the next generation or two.

Lunchtray
Jan 24, 2007
I was all of history's great robot actors. Acting Unit 0.8. Thespomat. David Duchovny!

Dominic White posted:

Hell, that plot element was rolled out even in the very first (localized) Witcher book. In The Last Wish, it is mentioned on several occasions that there is some kind of creeping environmental shift that's going to make things much less hospitable for humans over the next generation or two.

Yup, it's what's caused the Elves to die off quicker than just from Elf/Human conflict. As far as i can tell it's simply the enviroment and world changing from magic/monsters to techology/big civilization.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

404notfound posted:

Does the combat mod require a new game? I just started one a few nights ago, not super far in yet but I'd rather not repeat it all again so quickly.

I would like to know this as well, I have a save I would like to use. I imagine its in the ReadMe but I can't download anything so...

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Any good reviews of the combat mod yet?

Also, wasn't there a huge combat mod by the same guy for Witcher 1? How was that? Did it remove the god awful rhythm clicking system and give the game a proper combat system finally?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

GreatGreen posted:

Also, wasn't there a huge combat mod by the same guy for Witcher 1? How was that? Did it remove the god awful rhythm clicking system and give the game a proper combat system finally?

Yes, this guy also did FCR for Witcher 1, and it got him a job with CDPR. It didn't remove the rhythm clicking, but definitely made combat more engaging.

This torrent's speed is jumping up and down like crazy, but hopefully I'll be able to do some sort of write-up on this mod this weekend.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

404notfound posted:

Word from the modder in the thread is that it should work, but that starting a new game is recommended. One example of conflicts that's been mentioned so far is that since you unlock all the training skills by default with this mod, any points you've allocated there prior to installing the mod will be wasted.

It's probably worth just starting over.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I prefer gamepad, but the inventory and other menus are essentially unusable. I think the combat is a lot more enjoyable, though.

I wouldn't say unusable but they're certainly more of a pain than they need to be with a controller which is a shame because the combat is so much better with one.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Does anyone have any idea why my game and steam crashes as soon as the opening cutscene ends or I skip it? It used to do this all the time, then it didn't, and now its doing it again and its highly upsetting.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

This doesn't work. The tracker gives an HTTP Error 404.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

PureRok posted:

This doesn't work. The tracker gives an HTTP Error 404.
That's weird. It worked for me.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WASDF posted:

Does anyone have any idea why my game and steam crashes as soon as the opening cutscene ends or I skip it? It used to do this all the time, then it didn't, and now its doing it again and its highly upsetting.

Verify the game files in Steam.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

General thoughts: New skill tree doesn't seem to work in arena, and isn't accessible in the prologue, so I can't judge yet.
Aard and Igni are always AoE/cone, which makes them much useful at lower levels (although the lack of a projectile in the animation is weird)
The pirouette only works intermittently.
Active Quen is pretty cool, but does occasionally bother the AI - if they see you do it they tend to not attack, and sometimes just stand there like lemons when you stop Quenning
The reduced bounce when they parry you is nice, you can properly start waling on one guy if he's backed into a corner.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Right now I've got the mod installed, and I'm trying to do the riposte with a controller. Parrying is now, apparently, just using Quen, but the sword symbol never seems to show up to actually allow the riposte to go through. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: I've only spent like, an hour on this game before, but instead of a sword icon, I'm getting a circle with a cross in the center.

Edit2: Actually, having watched some videos, the lock on icon is what I'm seeing, and it only appears when they bounce off my Quen. Apparently the icon is not appearing when it's supposed to at all.

Edit3: Enabling Ubersampling brought the icons, but I still can't figure out how to do a non-Quen Parry or the Riposte

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 20, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Regarding blocking with FCR2, you are ALWAYS blocking so long as you're not attacking or rolling. It's Geralts default state. You can run towards a crossbowman and he'll automatically deflect arrows, too. The block button has been replaced by a counter-Quen which forcibly deflects attacks.

It's a pretty interesting change to how the game plays.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Geralt just seems to stand there in the tutorial, though they may disable auto-blocking while trying to learn how to parry. Meanwhile, I've got the targeting icon to show up, but I haven't seen the riposte icon when I'm using active Quen.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Geralt just seems to stand there in the tutorial, though they may disable auto-blocking while trying to learn how to parry. Meanwhile, I've got the targeting icon to show up, but I haven't seen the riposte icon when I'm using active Quen.

I don't think the tutorial works properly. The biggest problem the mod had in earlier versions (according to the development thread) is that the tutorial didn't work at all at first. Now it seems a bit of a kludge.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
It's way more responsive now, but the counter quen/passive blocking is way way way way less interesting. But at least I have a power other than quen on my hotkey.

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is

Kaubocks posted:

That's weird. It worked for me.

"worked" for me too, but with lightning fast download speeds of 0.1 and a time remaining of 3 years ... yeah, I think I'll wait :(

so, it's best to start a new game with the patch, right?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Deadlink posted:

"worked" for me too, but with lightning fast download speeds of 0.1 and a time remaining of 3 years ... yeah, I think I'll wait :(

so, it's best to start a new game with the patch, right?

Oh yeah, I think mine may have wiped my saves. So yes, new game.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

It's way more responsive now, but the counter quen/passive blocking is way way way way less interesting. But at least I have a power other than quen on my hotkey.
I like the sound of that change - the perma-quen - because I never, ever used Quen unless I had to in my first playthrough and I generally disliked how narrow the game's combat system was, ie there was really "one" way to do combat properly. I hope this psuedo-perma-quen system adds some potential for variation.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Still new to the game but I installed the new combat mod for shits and gigs and now the game is way hard! :drat:

When I was trying to get into the game, goons gave me tips such as "abuse the hell out of Quen" except now that's not really doable. What strategies should I be employing now? I'm getting ploughed every which way.

EDIT: Also a couple times I tried throwing a bomb and Geralt got stuck in a t-pose and there was nothing I could do until I got smacked out of it. This happen to anyone else?

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 20, 2013

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Yeah I got that same bug, it's kinda funny really. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0v-59aihNQ

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Are there any mods that will add quest markers? A few hours in and I'm getting a little frustrated wandering around in the dark so much.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Right now I've got the mod installed, and I'm trying to do the riposte with a controller. Parrying is now, apparently, just using Quen, but the sword symbol never seems to show up to actually allow the riposte to go through. Anyone know what's going on?

Edit: I've only spent like, an hour on this game before, but instead of a sword icon, I'm getting a circle with a cross in the center.

Edit2: Actually, having watched some videos, the lock on icon is what I'm seeing, and it only appears when they bounce off my Quen. Apparently the icon is not appearing when it's supposed to at all.

Edit3: Enabling Ubersampling brought the icons, but I still can't figure out how to do a non-Quen Parry or the Riposte
I'm unfortunately having this exact problem. (or is it a feature?)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You can get it from the Nexus, which doesn't have the best servers either for such huge mods, but it's an option:

http://witcher.nexusmods.com/mods/635/

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

:siren:FIX FOR MISSING SKILL TREE DESCRIPTIONS:siren:

Flash posted:

Hey, guys. As you've already noticed, unfortunately there's a bug in mod installer. Localization file is installed in wrong directory so you won't get new skill descriptions. To fix this issue, please move en0.w2string file from
\Documents\Witcher 2\UserContent\fcr2_arena\
to
witcher_installation_folder\CookedPC\
before overriding the file make a backup.
Sorry for inconvenience. I'll reupload fixed installer when Redkit website becomes more stable.

If there was ever a time that this game needed a respec mod... :argh:

EDIT: The (badly translated) text is pretty hilarious, though. Lots of stuff about "parades" when I assume it means "pirouettes".

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Just a heads-up, Flash intends to release a patch this weekend that should fix the various issues that have been discovered since release. Might be worth holding off just a tiny bit longer.

• Locked thread