Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

whenever i read your posts I'm really happy i make lovely on premises apps for like 1 or 2 concurrent users and don't do anything difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

polpotpi posted:

whenever i read your posts I'm really happy i make lovely on premises apps for like 1 or 2 concurrent users and don't do anything difficult

same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Zombywuf posted:

MySQL is never good enough; Postgres damnit.

In general though, a simple relational db is fine up to a few thousand transactions per minute provided you code it properly. Decent architecture can often make most of your CAP theorem problems just stop existing. In general it seems the problems that the research into distributed systems are good for are MMOs (reads and writes in equal proportion with everyone to everyone data sharing) and systems with over 100,000 simultaneous users and fast growth.

the only thing that limits relational dbs in terms of performance is hardware (assuming you're using a real sql server). thousands of transactions a minute is nothing even on old junk hardware. the drawbacks to relational dbs are purely distribution related. when you hit the limits of your hardware you have to add more nodes and then you start running into the consistency vs availability problem.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Even if it's not really complex, it still shows some properties of distributed systems where you choose to lack consistency in favor of lowered latency, as described in PACELC. The more state needs to be replicated over many nodes, with the more operations over the data set, the more difficult it gets.

Caching a website is almost always a read heavy load which makes the problems trivial. Pass-through cache on read and you're most of the way there. The usual mechanism is a simple If-Modified-Since check.

Shaggar posted:

the only thing that limits relational dbs in terms of performance is hardware (assuming you're using a real sql server). thousands of transactions a minute is nothing even on old junk hardware. the drawbacks to relational dbs are purely distribution related. when you hit the limits of your hardware you have to add more nodes and then you start running into the consistency vs availability problem.

Yeah, my point is essentially that these limits are massively high for most people. And that the hardest problems are usually in gaming where you normally have soft real time constraints and everyone to everyone communication (i.e. you can't shard the data).

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Zombywuf posted:

Caching a website is almost always a read heavy load which makes the problems trivial. Pass-through cache on read and you're most of the way there. The usual mechanism is a simple If-Modified-Since check.

I did note it as trivial, and offered solutions for the problem mentioned. Thanks for missing the point entirely, though.

Also note that 'If-Modified-Since' doesn't necessarily work blindly on its own when what you get is a once-in-a-while request from a CDN or a service acting on your behalf to know if it's been updated or not and will only ask again once in a while.

To reuse the same example from my last post, I have index.html, which loads an external styles.css, which insert my-background.png. I push the new files on a server over whatever means you want, but for the sake of it, let's say I'm using SFTP, or rsync and I overwrite files as they're uploaded. I've got the following state combinations possible because uploading over only 2 servers, sequentially (<resource>, serv1, serv2):

• (index.html,v1,v1), (styles.css,v1,v1), (my-background.png,v1,v1)
  • (index.html,v2,v1), (styles.css,v1,v1), (my-background.png,v1,v1)
  • (index.html,v2,v1), (styles.css,v2,v1), (my-background.png,v1,v1)
  • (index.html,v2,v1), (styles.css,v2,v1), (my-background.png,v2,v1)
  • (index.html,v2,v2), (styles.css,v2,v1), (my-background.png,v2,v1)
  • (index.html,v2,v2), (styles.css,v2,v2), (my-background.png,v2,v1)
  • (index.html,v2,v2), (styles.css,v2,v2), (my-background.png,v2,v2)

If at any point between the first and the last step, a request for any of my resources that are cached by a CDN hit me on two different servers, there's potential to have bad data on the CDN, which might only refresh in how many minutes you configured it to check for changes. This leads to workarounds where you embed the version names in the URL, as I mentioned in my previous post, because it usually ends up being simpler to do things that way. Hell, it works to bypass lovely proxies in some networks that decide to do that caching for your users without you knowing about it.

If-Modified-Since only works in a somewhat foolproof way when you control the entirety of your data and that you are ready to deal with opening and closing connections just to check that the resource is up to date.

Anyway, the point was that caching is state replication and even that is subject to CAP shenanigans and distributed system properties, even on smaller systems. It's not a very severe problem, but it's one nonetheless.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 18, 2013

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

Also note that 'If-Modified-Since' doesn't necessarily work blindly on its own when what you get is a once-in-a-while request from a CDN or a service acting on your behalf to know if it's been updated or not and will only ask again once in a while.

You are kind of inventing a problem here by having a lovely CDN that works this way. Even then you're describing a common household or garden race condition.

Not to say that CDNs can't be lovely, but I'm struggling to see an actual operational scenario like this. Which is kinda my point, there's a huge bundle of academic work on distributed data stores, each little branch having it's own jargon and it's own model of the whichever subset of the real world problems they're trying to solve and they are mostly irrelevant to the majority of people. To most people a network partition means their datacenter is on fire.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Zombywuf posted:

You are kind of inventing a problem here by having a lovely CDN that works this way. Even then you're describing a common household or garden race condition.

Not to say that CDNs can't be lovely, but I'm struggling to see an actual operational scenario like this. Which is kinda my point, there's a huge bundle of academic work on distributed data stores, each little branch having it's own jargon and it's own model of the whichever subset of the real world problems they're trying to solve and they are mostly irrelevant to the majority of people. To most people a network partition means their datacenter is on fire.

You can have Akamai work this way by using a simple TTL and having it refresh from time to time. Not all TTLs will be in perfect sync, and your state can get weird if that happens with long TTLs with some skew. It's a real world problem I've hit in production a few years ago when working for a dating website that suddenly had its homepage (visually) exploding because of it. It lasted for a few seconds to minutes, but users who happened to have their on-disk cache time out at the same time the CDN was in a borked state would end up complaining about the "broken website" a few hours after the fact.

It's not even a question of network partition in this case, it's a question of not having atomic updates across the board. Uploading new files wasn't equivalent to an ACID transaction and someone made multiple disjoint data reads from it and got an inconsistent view of the system later on.

It is a race condition by all means, but it's also a real thing about distributed systems. A netsplit will be a problem when you guarantee consistency. In this case, caching doesn't guarantee consistency by design, and this is one of the real world consequences of relaxing consistency for latency in PACELC (a fancier tool than CAP to discuss design, that differentiates strategies used when there is or isn't a netsplit). Such a cache would be a PA-EL (in case of Partition, go for Availability, Else choose Latency). Most SQL databases would be PC-EC (always consistent).

You can visualize the messed up state during the deployment to what would happen if the node you deploy from ended up in a netsplit halfway through the deployment. The consequences would be the same, but it would just take much longer to resolve the problem. For most practical purposes, a partition with a node is indistinguishable from high latency.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 18, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
y couldn't you treat the uploaded data as a set and require each node to wait to publish it locally until it has a good copy of the entire set?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

y couldn't you treat the uploaded data as a set and require each node to wait to publish it locally until it has a good copy of the entire set?

You could. This either means you need some extra software to manage it or use a protocol (or filesystem) that supports such a feature in the first place. It looks a lot like a database, but could be a valid option. Another alternative would be to have nodes standing by where you can just upgrade everything, then swap the live ones with the upgraded ones in one operation (say, reload HAProxy's config).

The original question was "at what size does MySQL/oracle stop being good enough, provided nothing stupid going on?" -- if you start installing these things or planning for them, the question's answer is likely "as soon as you get more than one node that stores and serves state, and that it is important that this state is synchronized."

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

MononcQc posted:

You can have Akamai work this way by using a simple TTL and having it refresh from time to time. Not all TTLs will be in perfect sync, and your state can get weird if that happens with long TTLs with some skew.
Well don't use Akamai that way *shakes fist*.

quote:

It's not even a question of network partition in this case, it's a question of not having atomic updates across the board. Uploading new files wasn't equivalent to an ACID transaction and someone made multiple disjoint data reads from it and got an inconsistent view of the system later on.

There are a number of ways you can make them atomic.

quote:

Most SQL databases would be PC-EC (always consistent).

How do you have a network partition with *an* SQL database? Most have support for (or have third party support) for many replication modes, with different capabilities. I've never found using the CAP metaphor useful for anything other than fielding demands from managers that it always do everything perfectly.

There are many questions you need to ask about a system with multiple interlocking parts, reducing it to 5 letters (with only 4 degrees of freedom) just seems an oversimplification.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Zombywuf posted:

How do you have a network partition with *an* SQL database?

quote:

Well… almost. Even though the Postgres server is always consistent, the distributed system composed of the server and client together may not be consistent. It’s possible for the client and server to disagree about whether or not a transaction took place.

Postgres' commit protocol, like most relational databases, is a special case of two-phase commit, or 2PC. In the first phase, the client votes to commit (or abort) the current transaction, and sends that message to the server. The server checks to see whether its consistency constraints allow the transaction to proceed, and if so, it votes to commit. It writes the transaction to storage and informs the client that the commit has taken place (or failed, as the case may be.) Now both the client and server agree on the outcome of the transaction.

What happens if the message acknowledging the commit is dropped before the client receives it? Then the client does’t know whether the commit succeeded or not! The 2PC protocol says that we must wait for the acknowledgement message to arrive in order to decide the outcome. If it doesn’t arrive, 2PC deadlocks. It’s not a partition-tolerant protocol. Waiting forever isn’t realistic for real systems, so at some point the client will time out and declare an error occurred. The commit protocol is now in an indeterminate state.

http://aphyr.com/posts/282-call-me-maybe-postgres

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Zombywuf posted:

Well don't use Akamai that way *shakes fist*.

That's an option. The other one was version counters on CSS poo poo so that we would never see requests for static assets past a few page loads. As far as I remember that's what went with in the end, and some hook that updated the value once the deployment was done or something. Been years since then though, and they might have changed how it works since then.

Zombywuf posted:

There are a number of ways you can make them atomic.

Yes, but that you need to make them atomic means that you're dealing with out-of-SQL distributed system shenanigans.

Zombywuf posted:

How do you have a network partition with *an* SQL database? Most have support for (or have third party support) for many replication modes, with different capabilities.

Well I mentioned that latency to a single node and a partition from a single node are often impossible to distinguish. The other part of that is that a failure and latency to a node are also pretty much impossible to distinguish unless there is some kind of explicit and reliable notification for it.

The fun thing about that is that you can start treating your master failing the same way as you would treat it going alone behind a partition from all the other nodes. You avoid the split brain problem and the node that failed can reasonably know it failed, but you can't necessarily assume that the problem is really that it crashed without possibly being wrong from the perspective of any other node in the system. You may also need to see clients as nodes in that system if they end up making decisions based on some of the state, and that may suddenly make things way more complex.

Because of this, you end up usually still having to think in CAP terms "just in case", but assuming that the master crashed when you're in a closed network in your control will be a much safer bet than when you do it over AWS in many separate geographical regions. The choice of distributed algorithm will often reflect that bet and impact the production experience.

E: if you meant for a single instance of a SQL DB, then yeah, partitions are very unlikely, although as posted above, clients can be considered part of the system and mess things up.

Zombywuf posted:

I've never found using the CAP metaphor useful for anything other than fielding demands from managers that it always do everything perfectly.

There are many questions you need to ask about a system with multiple interlocking parts, reducing it to 5 letters (with only 4 degrees of freedom) just seems an oversimplification.

I agree that CAP is pretty much just the assumption that "yeah, you can't have the system do everything" being proved, and so I will also agree with you it won't be useful outside of getting rid of ridiculous demands and some basic theorem to keep in mind. It didn't keep people (myself included) from using it blindly to describe everything distributed.

PACELC is an improvement because it does have the idea that partitions (and failures and high latency) aren't there all the time, and it brought the distinction that you could have consistency as much as you want when the cluster is healthy, although it may cost more.

It's an oversimplification, but it's as useful of a label as any other one when it comes to filtering technology. There's a shitload more ways to describe systems and ways they can mess your life up, but I guess we needed to start somewhere.

MononcQc fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 18, 2013

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
:unsmith:

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

:3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pro

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
Paging MononcQc: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3551821

just c/p your posts over tia

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

looking at this

E: it is a drat old thread and I have no idea what to post in there

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

This is your daily warning to move away from MySQL: https://blog.mariadb.org/mysql-man-pages-silently-relicensed-away-from-gpl/

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

this is your daily reminder that oracle owns:

[19 Jun 7:28] Norvald Ryeng
Description:
The man pages of Community Server should be GPL, but since 5.5.31, packages have contained man pages with a different license. 5.5.30 man pages are correctly licensed.

The bug exists in the latest release of 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7. I haven't checked older versions of 5.1, 5.6 or 5.7.

How to repeat:
Read the man pages.

Suggested fix:
Change back to the correct license.

[19 Jun 7:52] Yngve Svendsen
Thank you for the report. This is indeed a bug, where the build system erroneously and silently started pulling in man pages with the wrong set of copyright headers.

[19 Jun 8:23] Balasubramanian Kandasamy
Working on the fix.

[19 Jun 8:47] Yngve Svendsen
Once the fixes have been made to the build system, we will rebuild the latest 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 releases plus the latest 5.7 milestone and make those available publicly asap.

[19 Jun 18:00] Yngve Svendsen
5.5 rebuilds started. Other versions will follow as soon as these have been confirmed to contain the correctly licensed man files.

[19 Jun 18:28] Balasubramanian Kandasamy
Fix tested on 5.5.32 release branch. GPL packages has got the correct man pages now.

Re-build in progress for 5.6.12 and 5.7.1 release branches.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

seriously, two people just pulled 10-hour workdays to fix four different open-source software branches because they had wrong documentation

which other open-source organization than oracle would do that in response to a bug report :aaaaa:

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

looking at this

E: it is a drat old thread and I have no idea what to post in there

post this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yArRnznVJwY

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Because distributed systems links just keep falling in my hands for no good reason these days, Notes on Distributed Systems for Young Bloods.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Max Facetime posted:

seriously, two people just pulled 10-hour workdays to fix four different open-source software branches because they had wrong documentation

which other open-source organization than oracle would do that in response to a bug report :aaaaa:

mozilla, red hat... pretty much all of them tbh

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

mozilla, red hat... pretty much all of them tbh

I want to see one obvious bug affecting multiple branches that isn't a security vulnerability get fixed in 10 hours without asking the reporter for more information, by Mozilla, redhat or comedy option GNU

linus says all kernel bugs are exploits waiting to happen so Linux kernel bugs don't apply

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Max Facetime posted:

I want to see one obvious bug affecting multiple branches that isn't a security vulnerability get fixed in 10 hours without asking the reporter for more information, by Mozilla, redhat or comedy option GNU

linus says all kernel bugs are exploits waiting to happen so Linux kernel bugs don't apply

yeah, we're talking about updating the license information for the documentation -- not a lot of people are going to treat that as high-priority

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
heres one i found after two seconds of looking

http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=14273

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

pretty good, but it looks like the second, older branch got its patch accepted only after about 1 week from the bug report

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
backports for glibc are done on a schedule. they cherry-pick all applicable commits at once.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
but hey if you want to knock them for sound engineering practices be my guest

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sound engineers must awesome for all other engineering disciplines to try to copy them :downsrim:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

but hey if you want to knock them for sound engineering practices be my guest

ok

their "engineering" "practices" make them inflexible and cause unnecessary delays in getting fixes to customers

and i'm done knocking

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

Because distributed systems links just keep falling in my hands for no good reason these days, Notes on Distributed Systems for Young Bloods.

I like that there's a distributed systems scene in SF and most of the people in it, probably because I only read their tweets ad blogs and chats and don't interact with them in SF

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK, its time for me to add some features to my twitter cop logger

I want to try to replace any street addresses that are clearly a business with that business name. For example, I know 2875 W MLK is the Walmart, I just want that to say "Walmart" instead of having the address. whats my best angle on this - google query for the address, scrape the first result? any ideas

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
code:
if state == 'AR':
    store = 'Walmart'

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
we were laughing about it in irc last night, basically the two walmarts in town are the most dispatched addresses by a factor of two. the third is the police station itself

imma rerun my parsers tonight and see how it looks after 11 months of tracking, last time i ran them was after 5

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Jonny 290 posted:

OK, its time for me to add some features to my twitter cop logger

I want to try to replace any street addresses that are clearly a business with that business name. For example, I know 2875 W MLK is the Walmart, I just want that to say "Walmart" instead of having the address. whats my best angle on this - google query for the address, scrape the first result? any ideas

Look through your last few months of logs, you will probably find that addresses follow an exponential distribution or something like it. Scrape google once for the top 100 or whatever and throw em in a lookup table.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah that will prob work tbqh

im going to start looking at heatmap libraries so i can make some crime maps

phase 2 is databasing the intake log records, and those have names and addresses, and that is when this here data mine will start to be really fun

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

we were laughing about it in irc last night, basically the two walmarts in town are the most dispatched addresses by a factor of two. the third is the police station itself

imma rerun my parsers tonight and see how it looks after 11 months of tracking, last time i ran them was after 5

there's a reason they call it fayettenam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
wait, arkansas has a fayettenam too apparently. i thought it was a north carolina exclusive, but i guess it's a chain.