Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I'm able to download the Mavericks DP without being in the Mac Developer program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

I'm able to download the Mavericks DP without being in the Mac Developer program.

Where? I don't see it in the iOS Dev Center.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Why in the gently caress is NSScanner not case sensitive by default and why didn't I already know that and how did I miss it in the docs like ten times

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

lord funk posted:

Where? I don't see it in the iOS Dev Center.
That would be because it's in the Mac Dev Center. Not everything in the dev centers requires the applicable subscription.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Any opinions on which are the best / most useful WWDC videos to watch?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Malloreon posted:

The annual UIScrollView session was excellent (as usual). And you'll want to look at a couple of the iOS 7 UI sessions.

For nontechnical sessions, check out Painting the Future.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I got a peculiar question. We are migrating a compute cluster at my lab to Linux from Windows so I need to port my code to it. I originally started developing under OSX and was crossocompiling to windows through CMAKE so the porting should not be a major problem.

My question is, can I use an OSX machine to natively develop, cross compile (and potentially run) stuff for some linux distribution (most likely Ubuntu) without having to jump through a bunch of hoops? I'd like to avoid having to develop within a VM if possible.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

Aww, I had met a few iOS developers at WWDC who said they could download the 10.9 Mavericks beta. I'm still just seeing it available to enrolled Mac developers. I was hoping to start learning some of the new 10.9-only Xcode tools this Summer. :(

Last year there was a section of the WWDC website where you could download Mountain Lion and iOS6 as a WWDC attendee, regardless of what programs you were in. You might want to click around there a bit. One thing to be wary of is, if I remember correctly, last year the old/non-beta version of XCode didn't run in Mountain Lion.

Malloreon posted:

The Hidden Gems is cool. The Camera Capture on is pretty good too, if you're into that sort of thing.

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 18, 2013

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
The video about the new auto layout stuff was good. Also funny because the one presenter sounds like a total bro.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I put iOS 7 on my development iPod touch and I've been building our code from regular Xcode directly to it while developing. I did this last night and everything was fine. I come into the office this morning, I plug the iPod in and it won't show up in the Xcode drop down for some reason. I check Organizer and I get:

"The version of iOS on “My Retina iPod” is not supported by this installation of the iOS SDK. Please restore the device to a version of the OS listed below, or update to the latest version of the iOS SDK; which is available here.

OS Installed on My Retina iPod
7.0 (11A4372q)

Xcode Supported iOS Versions
"

The "here" just takes me to the iOS dev center. What the hell changed overnight?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ultramiraculous posted:

Last year there was a section of the WWDC website where you could download Mountain Lion and iOS6 as a WWDC attendee, regardless of what programs you were in. You might want to click around there a bit. One thing to be wary of is, if I remember correctly, last year the old/non-beta version of XCode didn't run in Mountain Lion.

The Hidden Gems is cool. The Camera Capture on is pretty good too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Just repartition your HD, I gave 40 gigs to Mavericks and it automounted the Mountain Lion partition and Spotlight found the 10.8 /Application dir so I didn't have to reinstall things like Chrome/Evernote etc...

As for worthwhile talks, What’s New in the LLVM Compiler, Advances in Objective-C, Debugging in XCode, Optimize Your Code Using LLVM, and Fixing Memory Issues were the ones I thought were best, but I don't do Coca Touch so maybe others would have a different opinion.

EDIT

Doh004 posted:

I put iOS 7 on my development iPod touch and I've been building our code from regular Xcode directly to it while developing. I did this last night and everything was fine. I come into the office this morning, I plug the iPod in and it won't show up in the Xcode drop down for some reason. I check Organizer and I get:

"The version of iOS on “My Retina iPod” is not supported by this installation of the iOS SDK. Please restore the device to a version of the OS listed below, or update to the latest version of the iOS SDK; which is available here.

7.0 (11A4372q)

"

The "here" just takes me to the iOS dev center. What the hell changed overnight?
Are you sure you're running the Xcode 5 DP? If you had both installed maybe spotlight/your shortcut is set for 4.6?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

I like the clever use of object subscripting in one of the JavaScript videos (are the titles under NDA?). I wish I had thought to do it for Lua.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Hughlander posted:

EDIT

Are you sure you're running the Xcode 5 DP? If you had both installed maybe spotlight/your shortcut is set for 4.6?

I am not running Xcode 5. Last night I was able to build from 4.6 onto my iOS 7 device - this morning I cannot.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What's the general wisdom regarding incorporating GPL code into iOS applications? Obviously, I would have to make the full source code available for the app in question, but would that be enough considering that iOS is, in essence, a closed platform?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

PT6A posted:

What's the general wisdom regarding incorporating GPL code into iOS applications? Obviously, I would have to make the full source code available for the app in question, but would that be enough considering that iOS is, in essence, a closed platform?

I seem to remember an app getting taken out of the App Store because VLC is licensed under the GPL. (Might have been just a straight VLC app.)

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

GPL is effectively verboten in the App Store. It basically doesn't work, mainly because you aren't the distributor. If you're working on something high profile enough, people might even come out of the woodwork and start poo poo, like with VLC's attempt at making an App.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

VLC had to put a lot of effort into relicensing to LGPL to get back into the App Store.

Apple doesn't explicitly ban GPL stuff so I guess you could just hope that the copyright owner doesn't complain, but I wouldn't build a business around that.

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

Hopefully someone here can answer this question, I've looked around and cannot seem to find a good solution to my problem.

I have a UITableView that, on the press of a UIButton outside the table view, changes width. When the width changes the ImageView moves out of the main screen. I want the Image to move back to it's normal x postition (which i obtained using tableview.frame.size.width). All non-visable cells make the change when moved into view, but the visable cells do not. I can reload the cells and everything works, but i run into an issue if someone moves the table view when a cell is selected.

A selected cell grows in height equal to tableView.frame.size.height, then a new view appears inside the cell. If I reload cells at this point the view in the cell disappears and only reappears if i deselect and reselect the cell.

Is there a way to animate the Image view on all cells that are visible without reloading? I can seem to get only one imageView to move without reloading and even then it seems to be a crapshoot to which cell actually moves the imageView. I don't need to reload the entire cell, just change the position of the imageView.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Doh004 posted:

7.0 (11A4372q)

"

Apple just updated Xcode 4.6, and after upgrading I am also no longer able to install & run apps on an iOS 7 device from Xcode 4.6.

Probably an unmentioned "fix" in the update.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Garbd posted:

Is there a way to animate the Image view on all cells that are visible without reloading?

code:

[tableView.visibleCells makeObjectsPerformSelector:@selector(animateImageView)];
assuming your cells implement a method called -animateImageView.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doc Block posted:

Apple just updated Xcode 4.6, and after upgrading I am also no longer able to install & run apps on an iOS 7 device from Xcode 4.6.

Well that's quite poopy :saddowns:

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm stuck with Lion on my work laptop so can't install the Xcode 5 beta. It did seem a bit strange to me that I could deploy to iOS 7 from a non-beta Xcode - I've been doing iOS betas for the last 3 years and have always had to use a corresponding beta of Xcode previously.

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

pokeyman posted:

code:
[tableView.visibleCells makeObjectsPerformSelector:@selector(animateImageView)];
assuming your cells implement a method called -animateImageView.

This gives me a unrecognized selector error, any idea why? I've been reading up on it but I can't quite figure it out. I'm guessing the -animateImageView method should be in a custom UITableViewCell class? Currently i'm not using a custom cell

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Garbd posted:

This gives me a unrecognized selector error, any idea why? I've been reading up on it but I can't quite figure it out. I'm guessing the -animateImageView method should be in a custom UITableViewCell class? Currently i'm not using a custom cell

Your guess is right. You could try putting in @selector(setNeedsLayout) but I don't think that will animate.

Garbd
Dec 29, 2008

Yep, Just made a custom cell class and switched a couple things and now it works! Thanks a lot for the help!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Someone at Apple has a sense of humor. Here's an error I encountered while debugging one of my apps:

*** -[__NSCFCalendar components:fromDate:]: date cannot be nil
I mean really, what do you think that operation is supposed to mean with a nil date?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
This is probably the greatest programming thread in the history of mankind. Hint: read the scanned printouts of code samples with handwritten notes. They get more insane as time goes on.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm having a really hard time following him. I think he's both old and not a native English user.

Fake edit: Egads, his name on the printouts is suspciously Danish. Sorry about my country :denmark:

Real edit: Jesus he keeps quoting himself and replying to himself, it's madness

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Old and most likely somewhere on the autism spectrum... The part where he starts to try to work out the velocity of his cache (I think?) is just :stare: I also like the way the posts constantly flip between him just not understanding Objective-C and him coming up with bizarre philosophical ideas about computers.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://devforums.apple.com/thread/166345?start=50#738665

:allears:

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Has anybody ever had any experiences with weird orientation rotation behavior when using presentViewController in 6.1? I'm making changes to my Game Center code to support 6.1 and the dashboards that come up show a strange rotation, like things are shifting into place and not rotating. This is when using the modalPresentationStyle=UIModalPresentationCurrentContext to show my game screen underneath when the transition occurs. If I use the default modalPresentationStyle, the background is black as Game Center moves into place, but the dashboard rotates just fine. Plus, I'm forced to do my own transition animation because using presentViewController with animated=YES actually DOESN'T animate it (dismissing it does animate though). Everything was working fine before 6.0. I do some custom things for rotating my game screen view (getting device orientation notifications, animating manually, etc) so I'm thinking maybe that's the culprit but I try Googling about this strange rotation behavior and of the two places I've seen it mentioned nobody can give a solution.

I might end up creating a new view controller which doesn't do any custom rotation, attach a snapshot of my game to a view on that, set that as the root controller, and have Game Center present from that.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
iOS 6 changed some rotation stuff. A lot of people's custom rotation handling code had to be rewritten once their deployment target was 6.0.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Ender.uNF posted:

This is probably the greatest programming thread in the history of mankind. Hint: read the scanned printouts of code samples with handwritten notes. They get more insane as time goes on.

If the  always do a scale on grafics. Could I then, have a resolution of (960*540) 60 fps. With a Mac Mini (16 GB) and Projector? I think that one would suite my needs, and ( there might be a stereo there...). Love You.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Well! Here it is. The Commodore Amiga has the power for the people......

(Programmers like me......)

It will not do a cut on Yours ....

(Some of us would like to programme....!)

Yours product  is allright for common people, and will allways be...!

But some of us! would really like to be able to programme our computers!

A pure hardware optimized Linux, only for the Commodore....... (within the Hardware)

We have waited for that solution, in many years.

That is the future for us......(Nothing can compete with that and Commodore USA has the industrial potential for that!)

Then we sort of wait for the Motorola.

You cant beat that one, and thats not nessesary(!).

But people and computers would have a future.....C=

(Either way, Windows8 , sucks!)

You decided: Not to be a programmers Computer.

In the future Commodore USA, will rule the Computer world. (1985 = Amiga1000)

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
So there are four 2.3GHz cores in each four corner Mac Mini? drat educated stupid programmers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"It is allways good to remember, that no matter what you do on a computer, it will allways be a bunch of binarys."

Truer words were never spoken.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I had mentioned an app that used a private UITouch API (pathMajorRadius), and Apple is now pulling it from the store:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/06/hands-off-apple-wants-to-pull-orphion-music-app-over-touch-apis/

If you have a moment, and you think using the touch size would be a useful tool for your apps, please head over to Bug Reporting and put in a feature request. We're trying to keep it positive, use examples, and ask for a public API that exposes this interface in a useful way.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone care to suggest what the most up to date book suggestion is? Looking for something from Orellly or at least on their Safari bookshelf. Coming from .NET / C# stuff looking to do a simple app for personal use on iOS.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Is there any way to render a UIRemoteView into a UIImage? Calling renderInContext on the local view doesn't make it show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

lord funk posted:

I had mentioned an app that used a private UITouch API (pathMajorRadius), and Apple is now pulling it from the store:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2013/06/hands-off-apple-wants-to-pull-orphion-music-app-over-touch-apis/

If you have a moment, and you think using the touch size would be a useful tool for your apps, please head over to Bug Reporting and put in a feature request. We're trying to keep it positive, use examples, and ask for a public API that exposes this interface in a useful way.

That sucks :-/ Didn't that app's feature even get added over a year ago? I kinda wish Apple wasn't this capricious.

HiriseSoftware posted:

Is there any way to render a UIRemoteView into a UIImage? Calling renderInContext on the local view doesn't make it show up.

Pretty sure the answer is no. If you mess around with them a bit, you'll see that they're not even really in your view hierarchy. I can't find the source, but I think they're even run in a separate process. I remember reading speculation that they'd allow for more cross-process/app communication.

Edit: This is what I was thinking of http://oleb.net/blog/2012/10/remote-view-controllers-in-ios-6/

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 20, 2013