Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I hope he pulls an Ikkaku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
He does a lucky dance in the middle of a life or death battle?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

"All unreleased zanpakutou look the same"- that's a stupid objection, because, uh... sh-sh-sh-shut up. Oh, wait, hang on: Ichigo's didn't. The original one he had, a million years ago. Alright, it was an oversized copy of Rukia's, but that made it more like a giant meat cleaver with a katana's hilt than a giant katana. Or, you know, Ichigo is... one third (?) Hollow, so maybe he's working on those rules.

There was that whole thing about zanpakutos size being relative to the power of the wielder until they learn to control their power-level, I think it was covered briefly at the very beginning of bleach, and then touched upon later on when Isshin killed Grand Fisher, Ichigo sort of got around that whole thing by having his sword always released.

The one person who has sort of broken those rules though is Kenpachi, whose sword doesn't look like a regular katana, and I think his sword has looked like that since he found it. I'm sure he doesn't get around the rule by having his always released because he didn't actually know his sword's name.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

U-DO Burger posted:

Maybe it's "ICHIGO-KUN! ICHIGO-KUN! ICHIGO-KUN!", since that's what Orihime said to unleash Ichigo's inner Hollow.

Fixed that for you.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Not content with having all the powers, Ichigo now has two swords!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FrantzX posted:

He does a lucky dance in the middle of a life or death battle?

Come now, Ichigo isn't that cool and you know it.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Bushmaori posted:

Like a bunch of others were saying I was struck how it looked like a bow and arrow combo, with the big sword being the bow and the little one being the arrow.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Maybe he can fuse them into a Japanese-style longbow.

Pretty sure it's this.
http://i.imgur.com/5WAKfdu.png

Edit: Can't figure out how to spoilertag images, so you guys just get links.

rocketbrah fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 20, 2013

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013

Do you think the sword-bow will fire swords?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
Eh, it's been done.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
I think anyone using that is more likely to stab themselves than their opponents.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Surec posted:

Eh, it's been done.

apparently he doesn't know much about the Quincy either.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
So this is a perfect segue to something I was thinking about. Now that we [mostly] know the backstory of Isshin and Papa Ishida, I wonder exactly what DOES Uryuu know? Who was his grandfather who taught him the Quincy ways? The off panel husband of his bitchy grandmother? Someone else? What did his dad tell him about the Quincies and what were his motives for doing so?

Also, dual wielding Ichigo is bad rear end. The swords look a little like Exacto Knife blades, or surgeon scalpel blades, but still pretty awesome IMHO.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Surec posted:

Eh, it's been done.

He just told you he only uses a bow and arrow so those are obviously arrows despite any swordlike resemblance.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
I forgot YWACH used his sword to summon a bow that shot a sword:

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...
What is Zaraki going to do the next time he meets Ichigo? He's gonna want to fight him so bad now...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
So this is a perfect segue to something I was thinking about. Now that we [mostly] know the backstory of Isshin and Papa Ishida, I wonder exactly what DOES Uryuu know? Who was his grandfather who taught him the Quincy ways? The off panel husband of his bitchy grandmother? Someone else? What did his dad tell him about the Quincies and what were his motives for doing so?

Also, dual wielding Ichigo is bad rear end. The swords look a little like Exacto Knife blades, or surgeon scalpel blades, but still pretty awesome IMHO.

He was presumably Uryuu's paternal grandfather, yes. Good thing he probably died before all of his faith in quincies got poo poo on by YWACH casually murdering Uryuu's mom!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Autonomous Monster posted:

I may be alone in this, but I'm of the opinion that this is still the unreleased state, and we're going to see shikai later.

And it's going to be "Bite/Bark/Howl/Scream at the moon", calling it now. :colbert:

Kubo loves random English speaking bands, Bark at the Moon wouldn't surprise me at all if he's an Ozzy fan. I mean apparently the series is named Bleach because he liked how the album

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

He was presumably Uryuu's paternal grandfather, yes. Good thing he probably died before all of his faith in quincies got poo poo on by YWACH casually murdering Uryuu's mom!

Doubt it. He still managed to train Uryuu before he kicked the bucket so I assume he died after Katagiri did.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Soken taught Uryu since he was a kid, unlike Ichigo who pretty much knew nothing about himself till Rukia showed up.

Uryu was also a kid when Soken died, so it is possible and likely that Soken died before Katagiri.

And then as we all know Soken spent some time under the care of Mayuri before dying again. Depending on how long he lasted, Katagiri might've had her powers taken by YWACH and killed while he was in Soul Society, but at this point he was obviously in no position to know about it. I believe the relationship between Soken and Uryu was only revealed during his battle against Mayuri in Soul Society. Up until that point Uryu always referred to him as "sensei".

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I just went back and read that fight for kicks. Man, Mayuri got toned down so loving hard after Soul Society. He used Nemu as bait to attack Uryu, then beat Nemu like a rented mule, tortured Uryu and gloated about all the horrible poo poo he did to the Quincies before, including this winner of a speech. :gonk:

Probably a good thing 'cause there's no way he'd still be alive if he hadn't been toned down to his current level.

EDIT: Oh, this makes WAY more sense now.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 21, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

VJeff posted:

I just went back and read that fight for kicks. Man, Mayuri got toned down so loving hard after Soul Society. He used Nemu as bait to attack Uryu, then beat Nemu like a rented mule, tortured Uryu and gloated about all the horrible poo poo he did to the Quincies before, including this winner of a speech. :gonk:

It's because he changed his hat.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I mean, Mayuri has been getting way better for a while. Everyone's gotten better. They all used to be a bunch of strong thugs and Mayuri was in prison around TBTP. The fact that Mayuri isn't literally killing people for fun right this second is pretty astonishing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
It is because his status has changed. Mayuri is still vile scum, a ghost Mengele devoid of empathy who has been going for more than a century. Mayuri is no longer the 'enemy', so no one on the vast, amoral and generally incompetent sword ghost faction is going to do anything about him no matter what he does. Mayuri could make a giant mech entirely made out of stitched-together, living, eternally suffering puppies for the sole purpose of bringing him drinks and anyone who noticed would just sort of shrug and go on their way.

Since Ichigo is never, ever going to try to actually change SS everyone else sort of just lets everything bad about the lovely japanese afterlife slide, which includes Mayuri's crimes against ghost humanity.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yeah, Mayuri is basically a terrible war criminal who fans seem to love, because he's no longer the bad guy. I remember when I watched the anime back when I was young, all of my friends and me hated him and thought he was terrible.

But hey, now he's a good guy! So lets just... sweep it all under the rug.

Edit: Really, I think Kenpachi, Ukitake, and Kyoraku are the only (important) Shinigami whose characterization didn't change a lot when they allied with Ichigo. Renji was basically a thug who showed no concern (and even threatened to kill) Rukia until SS arc, Soi Fon was completely nuts 'kill 'em all!' (which is still there...)

I guess Ikkaku hasn't changed much.

But yeah, it's really striking to go back and watch/read the Soul Society arc, and try to see how those people fit in with the 'new' characterizations.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 21, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Renji is just a giant tsundere. Only, he fails at that too.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Even when Mayuri isn't trying to kill the protagonists he's still a tremendously hosed up dude, nobody is really sweeping anything under the rug. SS has never really had a problem with what he does because "Hey, he's the science guy, he experiments on our enemies and poo poo!", as far as SS is concerned he's just doing the stuff that his title entails, the people who should have a problem with him are limited to pretty much just Uryuu and anyone that sympathises with his specific grievances, and I don't think we've seen Uryuu actually go into any detail explaining this stuff to his friends.

Mayuri has always been a hosed up character, but I've always thought he was tremendously cool because of it, the stuff posted earlier where he's talking about how uninterested in Uryuu because he thinks his research is complete is great.

Renji's characterization has been allover the place though, Byakuya's feelings on the situation were explained much better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nemu is a vice captain. She also has no rights and no one cares what Mayuri does to her. Again, no one cares about what he does.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I always liked Mayuri because he sort of fits that "psychopath scientist" kinda role similar to Hannibal Lecter. Brilliant loving mind, but evil as all hell.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nemu is a vice captain. She also has no rights and no one cares what Mayuri does to her. Again, no one cares about what he does.

Nobody cares what anyone not in their direct chain of command does in Soul Society. Crazy psychopaths killing their way to the top and fighting everything? gently caress if I care, not like I'm in Squad 11.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gyges posted:

Nobody cares what anyone not in their direct chain of command does in Soul Society. Crazy psychopaths killing their way to the top and fighting everything? gently caress if I care, not like I'm in Squad 11.

It all stemmed from centuries of Yamamoto's leadership. That is, he couldn't be arsed to deal with any problem that couldn't be resolved via setting people on fire. If the guy in charge didn't care, why should anyone else?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You're being far too generous in your portrayal of how much Yamamoto cared. There's lots of problems that could have been solved with fire that he still didn't deal with.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Uryu and Ichigo are the same age right? could Soken have died the same time as his mother and Ichigo's did? They both look "young" in those flashback chapters

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

treeboy posted:

Uryu and Ichigo are the same age right? could Soken have died the same time as his mother and Ichigo's did? They both look "young" in those flashback chapters

It's possible, sure. It'd explain why, even an old Master Quincy could possibly be killed by three hollows, short of them being adjucas or something.

Why would Yhwach take a pureblood Quincy powers? But then, Uryuu having Quincy powers is also kind of an anomaly, maybe the two could be connected?

I think recently has been the most active this thread's been in ages.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So any bets on the upcoming matchups? I'm thinking:

Ichigo v. Ishida
Kenpachi v. Ywach
Renji rematch v. Nodt
Captain Commander v. Hascwaltz (i.e. the real villain)

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

So any bets on the upcoming matchups? I'm thinking:

Ichigo v. Ishida
Kenpachi v. Ywach
Renji rematch v. Nodt
Captain Commander v. Hascwaltz (i.e. the real villain)

I'm thinking Ichigo will be facing against Ywach instead of Kenpachi, and if Hascwaltz is the real villain then Ichigo will probably be facing him too.

Nodt is dead, so that'll be a pretty close fight for Renji.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

TheHan posted:

I'm thinking Ichigo will be facing against Ywach instead of Kenpachi, and if Hascwaltz is the real villain then Ichigo will probably be facing him too.

c'mon. Hascwaltz is the Dragon to Ywach. Ichigo will start to fight him, maybe get a few good licks in then he'll pull out some bullshit ability at which point Kenpachi shows up tells Ichigo to go deal with the big bad while he deals with this guy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TheHan posted:

Nodt, Buzzbee and Najahkoop survived Yamamoto's attack. Buzzbee was clearly seen alive in a later scene so we can assume the other two pulled it out too.

I mean I dunno why people are even assuming that he's dead. How stupid would it be for this guy to show up, personally beat the poo poo out of Byakuya, steal his Bankai and nearly kill him right in front of Renji just for him to get one-shotted by Yamamoto? Say what you will about Kubo, but he's not that blatantly subversive of basic frickin' Shonen fight-y time structure.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm hoping Kenpachi will get a couple of chapters where he can cut loose on several Alphabetty Spaghetti Soldiers. Ideally it'd be because several of them bust in to the middle of a dojo ninja style while Kenpachi and Ichigo are dueling for funsies before they team up to destroy 6 or 7 of them, and Konamura busts through the wall as a dog-dragon mid-way through to chomp one in half, but I know that'll never happen, even with Kubo's recent turn for the better. I'll take any chapter of Kenpachi sawing through a couple of people in quick succession though and I'd say there's a good chance of that at least.

Since Ichigo is never, ever going to try to actually change SS everyone else sort of just lets everything bad about the lovely japanese afterlife slide, which includes Mayuri's crimes against ghost humanity.

I still love the idea Kubo floated a while back that Ichigo had immeasurably and eternally changed Soul Society for the better, was it when all the captains were giving Ichigo his power during the Fullbringer arc? Despite the change in characters like Mayuri's portrayal, it still feels like utter bullshit the characters are saying when Mayuri is still an active member of Soul Society suffering no consequences for anything he's ever done and Genryuusai nor the Head 44 guys (or whatever they were called) didn't change squat following their actions during the SS arc. Especially given that the Soul King is probably the real leader in many ways and Ichigo never even saw the guy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tsob posted:

I still love the idea Kubo floated a while back that Ichigo had immeasurably and eternally changed Soul Society for the better, was it when all the captains were giving Ichigo his power during the Fullbringer arc? Despite the change in characters like Mayuri's portrayal, it still feels like utter bullshit the characters are saying when Mayuri is still an active member of Soul Society suffering no consequences for anything he's ever done and Genryuusai nor the Head 44 guys (or whatever they were called) didn't change squat following their actions during the SS arc. Especially given that the Soul King is probably the real leader in many ways and Ichigo never even saw the guy.

Yamamoto did change somewhat; he spared the lives of Harribel's Fracciones, remember? His reaction to Mayuri killing a bunch of random people (to stop the world from being destroyed, but still) does show he's still pretty extreme, though.

And the Central 46 changed completely, because the ones who played a role in SS arc were killed by Aizen; the ones who sentenced Aizen were presumably new. (It's not clear who appoints them them, though. Yamamoto or the Soul King?)

Now Shunsui has replaced Yamamoto, though, and he's a pretty chill guy.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I think it would have been great if Ichigo had jumped from trying to rescue Rukia into reforming SS. SS sucks, and Ichigo got a guided tour of every way that it sucked. The infinite slum town, the justice system, the psychotic captains, the existence of Ganju- it was all irredeemably terrible.

A tale of revolution and social reform (with sword fights) certainly sounds a lot more interesting than the years of sword pushing and Aizen we got. Unfortunately, that was never what Bleach was about. Dwelling on what could have been leads to fan fiction, and no one wants that.

• Locked thread