Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright dudes, looking for a really, really good distortion pedal that I can trust regardless of what amp I'm using. I'll be using it with passive guitars mostly. I want something that plays well with other pedals/a wah and has a very solid brutal sound to go well with my 7 string. I'm leaning towards the Metal Muff since the YouTube demos sound incredible but I'm open to anything. The sound I want could be described as sludge with a punchy proggy tightness. Something between Mastodon and Meshuggah (I'm not stupid enough to expect those tones but I wanted an example.)
What amp are you using? Depending, the Zvexx 'Box of Rock' can tighten things up into some pretty brutal tones. I honestly don't think that there's a 'one size fits all' pedal tho', too much variance in amps. I pulled out my old original Rat to go in front of my Jubilee and it can get pretty brutal. A friend of mine who plays some pretty heavy stuff swears by his EH English Muffin into his Rockerverb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

iostream.h posted:

What amp are you using? Depending, the Zvexx 'Box of Rock' can tighten things up into some pretty brutal tones. I honestly don't think that there's a 'one size fits all' pedal tho', too much variance in amps. I pulled out my old original Rat to go in front of my Jubilee and it can get pretty brutal. A friend of mine who plays some pretty heavy stuff swears by his EH English Muffin into his Rockerverb.

Peavey XXX combo right now but I'm looking to upgrade later this year. That's why I was hoping to find one easy to mesh with a setup but yeah, that's not always simple. I totally forgot about the Rat. Are the current Rat 2s any good? I'll look into the others you mentioned. I've never heard the box of rock directly but people seem to really love it.

Sometimes I wish I liked how axe fxs sounded so could grab one and forget about pedal lusting haha.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Peavey XXX combo right now but I'm looking to upgrade later this year. That's why I was hoping to find one easy to mesh with a setup but yeah, that's not always simple. I totally forgot about the Rat. Are the current Rat 2s any good? I'll look into the others you mentioned. I've never heard the box of rock directly but people seem to really love it.

Sometimes I wish I liked how axe fxs sounded so could grab one and forget about pedal lusting haha.
No idea about the new Rats, I'm still using the one I bought back in high school.
I like my Box of Rock too, mainly for the 'boost' option, helps to open up a lot of dynamic possibilities that way, especially if you're on a single-ish channel amp.

For you, I dunno, I think the BoR has a better overall tone on its own, but if you're doing MOSTLY heavy HEAVY stuff I'd probably say use the Rat. Personally I'm not a huge fan of the Metal Muff, it just sounded brittle and harsh to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I used to have a Rat2 and it was good, better than the You Dirty Rat I have now that I'm trying to sell and I also liked it better than the Big Muff Pi I used to own for a few months. But I'd say something else could probably do a better job than the Rat2.

Then again, I haven't had too much experience with distortions v:shobon:v

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright dudes, looking for a really, really good distortion pedal that I can trust regardless of what amp I'm using. I'll be using it with passive guitars mostly. I want something that plays well with other pedals/a wah and has a very solid brutal sound to go well with my 7 string. I'm leaning towards the Metal Muff since the YouTube demos sound incredible but I'm open to anything. The sound I want could be described as sludge with a punchy proggy tightness. Something between Mastodon and Meshuggah (I'm not stupid enough to expect those tones but I wanted an example.)

I have one these, and it's pretty much what you're describing. Plus it's made by the dude who designed the 5150. Can't say enough good things about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp7EnYEQNIM

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I don't know if this is what you're looking for at all, but I love it:

http://www.blackouteffectors.com/?page_id=499

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I'm in the market for a tap tremolo. I think I have narrowed it down to either the Catalinbread Semaphore Tap Tremolo or the Empress Effects Tap Tremolo. Does anyone have any recommendations for the one or the other (or a third option, that I have perhaps not considered)? The tap feature is crucial for me, which means the Red Witch Pentavocal, which is awesome, is right out for me.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I've heard good things about the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper tremolo pedals.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Professor Science posted:

I don't know if this is what you're looking for at all, but I love it:

http://www.blackouteffectors.com/?page_id=499

I loved that pedal too, until I got a Blackout Blunderbuss, and for the type of stuff that Kilometers Davis was asking about, the Blunderbuss may be even better. Same low-end sludgy fuzz, but it has a bright, punchy clarity that the Musket lacks without another pedal in the mix.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Metal Muff is probably my favorite of my distortions; It has a lot of gain on offer, a very tweakable EQ section, and, as long as you're subtle (seriously, past 10 o'clock is inviting pain), the top boost is great for giving you a second tone to switch to between verse/chorus or whatever. I play a (poo poo) passive 7 string through mine and can get a decent Strapping Young Lad/Fear Factory-ish tone without any trouble, does the early KoRn chug well, and can do a passable impression of Rammstein. If you roll back the gain some, you can get some nice tight-but-hairy rhythm sounds. For £45 it's worth a punt, and EH stuff holds its value fairly well.

I set my amp's eq flat (Newer Peavey Bandit combo) and run the Muff into the clean channel, it's the basis of my dirty tone when playing. Currently goes with a Wasabi Chorus/trem and a Vox Time Machine delay, but behaved itself with a Whammy 4, plus various other pedals I used to own/borrowed.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 30, 2013

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Stayne Falls posted:

I've heard good things about the Lightfoot Labs Goatkeeper tremolo pedals.

The Goatkeeper is sexy, but a little more than I want to spend. It looks like Catalinbread it is!

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Try a Turbo Rat. I loved the one I tested out and would definitely buy it if I wasn't already saving up for a new fuzz and OD.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Has anyone tried one of those rackmount Crybaby wahs?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
what goes first, comp then boost or boost then comp, or would you not use them both simultaneously really so who cares?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
I find it depends on everything else, what guitar/amp, sound you're looking for etc, but it is generally accepted that the compressor goes first. This link explains why:

http://www.muzique.com/news/compressor-placement-on-your-pedalboard/

I get my best results with

Sheraton II>Tuner>Comp>Rotovibe>Boost>OD>Trem>DRRI

I almost always have my comp on so I do use boost and comp simultaneously.

That said, theres no reason NOT to mix it up. Try the comp everywhere and see if there's a sound you personally like by doing so. Pe3dals are all about being able to experiment at the drop of a hat no matter what convention says.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

uncle spero posted:

That said, theres no reason NOT to mix it up. Try the comp everywhere and see if there's a sound you personally like by doing so. Pedals are all about being able to experiment at the drop of a hat no matter what convention says.

Unfortunately I'm referring to rack gear, so that extensibility is a little harder to get, but I'll give them both a shot nonetheless.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
What are yall's choice for phasers? Tried and failed to fall for the block Phase 90 and 100, Subdecay Quasar, and the Red Witch Moonphase.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

burritonegro posted:

What are yall's choice for phasers? Tried and failed to fall for the block Phase 90 and 100, Subdecay Quasar, and the Red Witch Moonphase.

EHX Small Stone is my go-to for a very "phaser-y" phaser and Moog puts out a nice phaser as well.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

I like my script phase 90. The one with an LED. Doesn't sound shrill like the regular phase 90. To me there's a huge difference between the regular block one and this.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

If you're willing to roll your own the Madbeans Smoothie is an easy build. I splurged on a pair of matched transistors rather than buying a bag and trying to match my own. The only vid I could find of it without a vibe mod suffers from 'flipcam sound' but my end product was a nice quiet phaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMtElYKoKsI

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
I picked up a 1974 reissue script phase 90 and love it. The down side is it has no led or DC jack but the upside is the sound, exactly the phaser sound that's in my head.

Having said that, I have a Destination Rotation on my board at the moment and I use it as a kinda cross phaser/uni-vibe/Leslie thing.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I use a Dunlop rotovibe. It's not really a phaser but its sort of a hybrid phaser/ flanger/rotary hybrid. It's by far my favorite mod effect.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

I have a rotovibe as well, and its enough of a phaser sort of sound that either it or my smoothie are in my chain, but never both. I realy love the roto.

On the topic of modulation, I dug around a bit last night and I found my old Danelectro plastic chicken salad vibe. This thing is far greater than its cheap case and low price would suggest. It has a real LDR and blinking light inside to give you a really organic wobble. People do a simple mod to put some tin foil inside the LDR box and it really brings the thing alive.

I have been meaning to rebox it in a metal enclosure and convert it to a real true bypass switch for a long time. Next rainy weekend.

http://www.regiscoyne.com/tech/CS_mods/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/danelectro-dj15-chicken-salad-vibrato-pedal

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Unfortunately I'm referring to rack gear, so that extensibility is a little harder to get, but I'll give them both a shot nonetheless.

Go for a rack-mount patch bay! I have all the same questions, what comes before what comes before what? It probably plays hell with the tone, as the path from your instrument might go through some insane number of patch cables and worn jacks, but it can be good for establishing a preferred order, and once you're happy with it you can take everything off the patch bay and connect it in that order. Make a couple pedal chains, connect all the rack-mount stuff... I have a bunch of old pedals around that I don't want to put in a box somewhere, and this way they can be tried out without being embedded all the time. Those, and the rack things can be routed into each other.

I know you only mentioned comp and boost, and this is way overkill for just two things, but I figured I'd recommend it 'cause its neat to have around!

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

I bought a cheap Vox wah off SA-Mart in hopes of modding it for a 9v jack, true bypass and an LED but was pretty unsuccessful in every attempt. So I searched for a new Wah and didn't really find anything that fit the bill...I really liked the Vox v847 sound but the signal issues were super irritating. Ordered a JHS modded v847 in hopes it will solve all my problems and more - can't wait to play around with the voice knob:

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/mod-shop/vox-v847-super-wah/

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
I just called a halt to my wah-modding so that I don't break the thing again before my band's first real(ish) show. I'm currently quite happy with the sound. Started with a vanilla GCB-95, put in a new pot (100k), did True Bypass™, then standard resistor mods in hopes of getting a liquid-smooth sweep over a lower general register. Emphasis on "in hopes".

I did all that years ago and got a weird and sort of usable sound, but still with horrible "knocking." Opening the thing up again it became evident that my ability to read resistor colour codes is pathetic. Luckily there is literally an app for that now. With closer values in place and a new capacitor (salvaged from a horrible Behringer box) the sweep is finally a lot more fluid, the register is not too shrill, and it has a noticeable boost when engaged— which I like. I found the mods to be a huge help once I did a better job of them, and I didn't touch the inductor at all or use any high-spec parts. The effect was really cumulative though; each one only made an incremental difference, and honestly one of the deciding factors in a better sweep was properly lubricating the treadle.

I'd love to do a version like the JHS thing with external controls for the key values, but I'll probably start a new project for that. If I were going to buy one I'd probably go with a Wilson since they offer Boomrang, Macari and Ibanez circuits and those all interest me a lot more than the standard Vox and Dunlop sounds.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

I have completely given up trying to read resistor values by the color bands. I hit them all with the multimeter before they go in.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I usually use a chart to help remember figure out resistor values. For the life of me I can not memorize color band values. Not that I have built anything in the past couple of months other than a looper. I really need to get free time again so I can make this poo poo.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
The app seems to have helped a lot, and the few resistors I did test seemed close to what it said. by far the biggest source of error seemed to be my eyes/brain. :eng99:

Also, although the wah is usable now and doesn't seem to be a major source of noise, it get no sound in bypass mode unless I disconnect and insulate the end of the ground wire where it's supposed to connect to the shell. It still passes signal when the effect is engaged, which seems to me like the opposite of how it should work. I've just been using it as-is since it's basically this way, but I would like to un-gently caress whatever I did once I don't have a show coming up. Especially since I want to start using a power adapter, and I'm slightly concerned that anything wrong in the circuit could result in damage when I do.

Also 2: Anyone have recommendations for bulk cable and connectors, and ideally a supplier in Canada? I feel like most of the stuff I see marketed to guitarists is overpriced, or has features I don't really need like solid cores or silver content. I just want serviceable, decent quality unbalanced cable for wiring up my pedalboard and making the occasional patch cord. If any of the nice ones really do have amazing hum rejection or low handling noise I guess that's cool, but I've never had much of a problem with either of those things in the past. I know Mogami and Canare are popular, but for my purposes (and I suspect most guitar purposes) I get the feeling they're overkill.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Hopefully someone here knows, is the Crybaby 535Q true bypass or not?
The internet seems to say that they may be NOW or not, but no one seems to know for sure except that 'old ones' definitely aren't.

My new rig has some tone issues SOMEWHERE and I'm trying to rule out the candidates.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

iostream.h posted:

Hopefully someone here knows, is the Crybaby 535Q true bypass or not?
The internet seems to say that they may be NOW or not, but no one seems to know for sure except that 'old ones' definitely aren't.

That's pretty much it. It depends on when yours was manufactured.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly I would cut out the middle man and just send Dunlop an email with all the info on it. They're a really solid company and will probably give you an answer quickly.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Hey dudes/dudettes. I have a circa early 90s Boss CS-3 that has seemed to kick the bucket. The pedal still powers on but the sound while the pedal is on is all hosed up, more like a lovely distortion than anything else. Does this seem like a quick/easy repair or should I not even bother?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

Hey dudes/dudettes. I have a circa early 90s Boss CS-3 that has seemed to kick the bucket. The pedal still powers on but the sound while the pedal is on is all hosed up, more like a lovely distortion than anything else. Does this seem like a quick/easy repair or should I not even bother?

Are you powering it with a 9v or through the power jack? I recently just drove myself insane thinking my micro pog poo poo the bed when it turned out to be a bent power adapter plug. Couldn't get a good clean tone for poo poo with it on. Then tried it with a different adapter plug and voila.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

With a onespot. I tried it with what I thought was a good 9v and it didnt work.

Panterica
Oct 24, 2003
Any recommendations for a chorus, flanger, and tuner? I was considering getting a multi-effects, but those three in addition to a wah I already own are the only effects I need. I've got 4 ESP's with EMG's going into a Mesa Mark V.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

I'm pretty happy with my MXR micro chorus - it's a decent choice if you want something small, simple, and under 100. If you want more customization out of chorus though the earthquaker sea machine looks pretty sick, but costs twice as much. For a tuner I use a boss tu-3 which I got for a steal on craigslist otherwise I would've gone with something cheaper - I don't really see the point in splurging on a super expensive tuner pedal though. You just want something that doesn't kill your tone when you're not using it, has good visibility in low light, and mutes when you use it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Panterica posted:

Any recommendations for a chorus, flanger, and tuner? I was considering getting a multi-effects, but those three in addition to a wah I already own are the only effects I need. I've got 4 ESP's with EMG's going into a Mesa Mark V.

Getting a Zoom MS-50G will run you about $100, or a little more than a high quality chorus or flanger and even has a built in tuner.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Speaking of Zoom effect pedals, they are probably the best multi-effect pedals I have ever had the pleasure of loving around with. Get into the guts of one and start poking around with gator clips/probes and you will never be in want of crazy sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Stravinsky posted:

Speaking of Zoom effect pedals, they are probably the best multi-effect pedals I have ever had the pleasure of loving around with.

O_O

Just how many multi-effect pedals do you have experience with?