Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
What eviljelly said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Fair enough. I was mainly going there for the snorkelling and looking at the pictures/itinerary it seems were in fact going to be mostly staying on Koh Nangyuan, but I'm still not sure.

Were taking one of those day trip tour things if I wasn't clear.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Just got back from a few days in Phangan. I stayed at Coco Garden, which was about a ten minute walk from Thong Sala. The beach there isn't great, but the site itself is awesome, and the staff are really good. I was there way before the full moon party, so it wasn't too crazy, although if you were looking for a night out, it wasn't too hard to find it. The weather was actually pretty good-it was cloudy pretty much the whole time but the temperature was perfect. I'm honestly kind of bummed to be back in Bangkok.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
What is the weather going to be like on Koh Samui in mid July? Wet wet wet?

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

duckmaster posted:

What is the weather going to be like on Koh Samui in mid July? Wet wet wet?

So the guy at my guesthouse said Phangan is even different than Samui, but my best guess is that it'll definitely rain, but not nearly as hard as it will on the west coast.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Brimmy posted:

I've been thinking of going to Malayasia after my time in Korea is up next February. If you don't mind me asking is your school a proper private school or a cram school? If it's proper private how did you go about finding it and what are the working conditions like?

Not sure how much I can help you there, the school I'm at is due to having met the guy who's setting it up in China. It's a branch of Wall Street English, which is pretty big in China and has just opened their first branch here. It's selling to professionals and adult learners, their big selling point being giving an English speaking environment. It concentrates quite a bit on encouraging students to hang around for a bit and talk to one another (thought that's less of a selling point in KL versus countries where noone speaks English). I know a couple of the other teachers here though work with international schools (since we have weird hours it kind of sucks for anyone with a family). I can ask them about how they got into those schools if you're still looking for some guidance.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

4 Day Weekend posted:

Fair enough. I was mainly going there for the snorkelling and looking at the pictures/itinerary it seems were in fact going to be mostly staying on Koh Nangyuan, but I'm still not sure.

Were taking one of those day trip tour things if I wasn't clear.

Koh Nangyuan is a tiny little speck of an island so it's easily doable as a daytrip, if you are okay with spending a ton of time in transit on the taxi to the pier, then on the ferry, then doing those again on the way back. It is quite beautiful, although you will probably see the beauty through a haze of Korean and Chinese tourists freely touching corals and dropping garbage as they snorkel around the bays. The bar is quite nice, although their drinks are wildly overpriced. There's a wonderful viewpoint which is about a 15 minute well-marked climb up some stairs and then about a 1 minute climb up some boulders.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah we went there today and it was really nice. Boat trip back was quite long due to bad weather but the rest was awesome. They don't allow flippers or any plastic bottles so all tourists were well behaved.

Would you say its worth it to do ang Thong in addition to Koh Nangyuan?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Heeey, you know? You know!? Sit down, you know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMlMhV6B5co

Thai man points pistol at Russian visitor in Phuket, you know

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I saw that and my first thought was, "This has to be staged." Okay, maybe the Russian happens to film this and acts completely stoic while being beaten around, but the calmly closing the door and the saunter back to the computer took the cake, heh.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

4 Day Weekend posted:

Would you say its worth it to do ang Thong in addition to Koh Nangyuan?

I've never been, but from what I understand it's not as 'spectacular' but much more nature-y, as it's actually a marine park rather than a tourist trap owned by a ferry company.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

ReindeerF posted:

I saw that and my first thought was, "This has to be staged." Okay, maybe the Russian happens to film this and acts completely stoic while being beaten around, but the calmly closing the door and the saunter back to the computer took the cake, heh.

He's Russian, having your door pounded on by an angry man who slaps you around with a pistol is probably a weekly ritual.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

He's Russian, having your door pounded on by an angry man who slaps you around with a pistol is probably a weekly ritual.
I assume even in Russia, you then rush to lock the door and to get a bat or a stick or something, heh.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I call bullshit. Russians (at least the ones I've seen/met/teach the children of) think Thais are beneath them.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Staged. Russian never shut the gently caress up.

e: Someone else go put this in the China thread please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbPWitSTe2k

raton fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 20, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The alleged story behind the gun video:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/thai-man-points-pistol-at-russian-visitor-in-phuket-video-40246.php

quote:

Thai man points pistol at Russian visitor in Phuket

PHUKET: Vasiliy Tubaev, a visitor from Russia, had a gun pointed at his head by a Thai man, in what appeared to be a misunderstanding over a Thai woman in Phuket.

Mr Tubaev came to Thailand on April 5 and rented an apartment in PK Mansion in Phuket Town, not far from Central Festival.

After a month or so he got to know a Thai woman called Karn who lived in the same building and worked in an office on the ground floor.

Mr Tubaev told The Phuket News’ Russian-language sister paper Novosti Phuketa that he knew she was “living with some guy” but that he was led to believe that the man was her brother.

He had lunch with Karn and her colleagues a couple of times and then, on May 26, the girls invited him to go with them to Khao Lak.

On June 5, however, Karn said they could no longer see each other. She would not say why.

The very next day Mr Tubaev heard somebody knocking on his door and trying to open it. He didn’t unlock the door and the visitor went away. At about 3 pm there was again a knocking at the door.

This time Mr Tubaev set up his camera and pressed the record button before opening the door.

The man who came in produced a pistol, pointed it at the Russian and ordered him to his knees. He told Mr Tubaev to stay away from Karn, who he said was his wife, and to go back to Russia.

He reinforced the message with several slaps to Mr Tubaev’s face and head, then put the gun to his forehead and pulled the trigger. The gun did not fire and the Thai man left.

Mr Tubaev moved out of the building the same day and, two days later, reported the incident to the police. The Thai was arrested three days later.

The Russian told The Phuket News that the Thai, who was not named, had offered his apologies and B10,000 compensation, but that he decided not to accept either.

The case is now going through the courts. Mr Tubaev has now left Phuket.

Police told The Phuket News the gun was a replica, and could not fire bullets.
While that's all plausible, the video itself is way too staged to be believable.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
So what do you think they're doing then? What was the point of faking it? Just getting hits?

Maybe it's a long game, and he's trying to set the stage for faking his own death for insurance purposes.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

CronoGamer posted:

Just getting hits?
I would assume, yeah. The entire story comes from its Russian "sister newspaper." They do report that police said something at the end, but they don't quote it or name anyone. Russians understand linkbait and viral marketing pretty well and this kind of controversy would really fire up both countries since there's a large and simmering resentment between Thais and Russians right now over Russian behavior in Thailand and their special visa status.

I mean, you know, maybe it's real. It's certainly far from an unprecedented event, especially in a shithole Southern Thai area full of dirtbag tourists and jaded Thais like Phuket is. Just based on the video, though, I'd be really surprised if it were.

:gets smacked around with a gun: :stays completely calm and silent: :saunters back to webcam nonchalantly:

It's very difficult for me to buy the video, not the story.

EDIT: I don't think anyone in Bangkok thinks much of either the Post or Nation, I certainly don't, but the Phuket/Pattaya rags make them look like the NY Times & Washington Post by comparison.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 20, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I think I've posted in here once before, vaguely, but things are starting to resolve.

I'm looking at SE Asia for my honeymoon, arriving Nov 3ish and leaving Nov 28ish.

Our current loose itinerary is Seattle -> Hanoi -> Halong Bay -> Hanoi -> Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Seattle

What I'm wondering is:

• Are Sapa and/or Ninh Binh easy to get to and worth the detour from Hanoi? Is there much there besides the postcard view?
  • How much are we missing by not going to Thai beaches? Part of me feels like I can go to a beach anytime and should do more SE Asian-unique things while I'm there.
  • Do we have time to bus into Cambodia from Bangkok to see Angkor Wat?
  • What should we do in Chiang Mai besides eat, play with elephants, and get massages? Anything else to see in that area?
  • Anything close to this route that you'd recommend we add to the itinerary?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

blk posted:

I think I've posted in here once before, vaguely, but things are starting to resolve.

I'm looking at SE Asia for my honeymoon, arriving Nov 3ish and leaving Nov 28ish.

Our current loose itinerary is Seattle -> Hanoi -> Halong Bay -> Hanoi -> Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Bangkok -> Seattle

What I'm wondering is:

• Are Sapa and/or Ninh Binh easy to get to and worth the detour from Hanoi? Is there much there besides the postcard view?
  • How much are we missing by not going to Thai beaches? Part of me feels like I can go to a beach anytime and should do more SE Asian-unique things while I'm there.
  • What should we do in Chiang Mai besides eat, play with elephants, and get massages? Anything else to see in that area?
My short answer after noodling over your itinerary is that I'd kill one of either Chiang Mai or Halong Bay (probably Halong Bay, which from all accounts is incredibly overrated as a travel experience) and put Angkor Wat in there for 4 days 3 nights (that's a half day for travel each way and 2 full days in Siem Reap and the temples).

On the Thai islands, it really depends on what you want and where you go. I feel like certain islands have a very cool vibe while other islands, yeah, could just be anywhere in the world. The problem is, the whole hanging-out-on-an-island-cool-vibe thing isn't really something you get a lot out of in 3d2n itineraries. In this case, you're probably best to skip the islands since they're a huge travel detour for such a short trip.

Chiang Mai, you can do all that hill tribe trek poo poo I guess, everyone seems to love all that. For me, the only interesting part about Northern Thailand are the rural peoples, the beautiful scenery and the local foods like nam prik num and sai oua and khao soi and so on. All the elephants and hill tribes (with Coke machines in the chieftan's hut) and that stuff isn't my bag. Jogging into the countryside into coffee fields and chatting with villagers and eating at little local stalls is more fun.

One thing most people don't immediately get about Thailand is that outside of heavily urban or touristed areas, there are almost no fences or rules of conduct as long as you're nice, polite and respectful. You can walk up to anyone, go anywhere, ask about/for anything and, again, as long as you basically khoor anuyot (ask permission) upon doing it you'll be greeted warmly. So just dicking around jogging or biking through villages and mountain passes and stuff for a day is great for me. Farmers offer you fresh fruit and stuff, kids swarm around yelling GOOD MORNING! (at 16:00) and it's what you'd kinda hoped Thailand would be like, as opposed to YOU GO LADY BAR!?

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Have I been in Cambodia long enough that I can tell everyone who comes to this thread that they MUST MUST MUST go to Cambodia or do I have to wait till I've bought my bar??

Edit for useful advice: the bus from Bangkok to the Cambodian border is boring. I'm told the train journey is absolutely stunning, although it takes twice as long, so you might look into that when you (definitely) go to Cambodia. It's also hilariously cheap, like 100 baht or something.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 21, 2013

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

blk posted:

Are Sapa and/or Ninh Binh easy to get to and worth the detour from Hanoi? Is there much there besides the postcard view?
I found Ninh Binh itself a bit boring to be honest. The surrounding countryside is nice enough for cycling around but not really worth the detour unless you're passing through. Sapa is better if you want to see a slightly different side to Vietnam. I'd take Ha Long Bay over either though.

duckmaster posted:

Have I been in Cambodia long enough that I can tell everyone who comes to this thread that they MUST MUST MUST go to Cambodia or do I have to wait till I've bought my bar??
So is your bar going to offer a goon discount?

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
duckmaster buys a bar. eviljelly marries a prostitute. Let's turn this into ThaiVisa!

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I have a strict white women only policy :whatup:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

eviljelly posted:

So you married a Russian prostitute?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

marry russian prostitute, move to pattaya :coal:

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Tytan posted:

I found Ninh Binh itself a bit boring to be honest. The surrounding countryside is nice enough for cycling around but not really worth the detour unless you're passing through. Sapa is better if you want to see a slightly different side to Vietnam. I'd take Ha Long Bay over either though.

So is your bar going to offer a goon discount?

Buy 10 get 1 free.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

blk posted:

What I'm wondering is:

I was just in Hanoi and Halong Bay last month. Frankly, if you had to decide between Angkor Wat and Halong Bay as tourist destinations, go with the former. Halong Bay was kinda depressingly dirty.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

eviljelly posted:

:thaivisa:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

duckmaster posted:

Join the chorus of me and, uh, Tytan I guess? Heh.

duckmaster posted:

Edit for useful advice: the bus from Bangkok to the Cambodian border is boring. I'm told the train journey is absolutely stunning, although it takes twice as long, so you might look into that when you (definitely) go to Cambodia. It's also hilariously cheap, like 100 baht or something.
I prefer this route:

Bus from Bangkok to Chanthaburi
Saengtaew (ask for "Rot Pakard") from Chanthaburi to Baan Pakard Border Crossing
Moto from Cambodian side to Pailin
Taxi from Pailin to Battambang

The Baan Pakard crossing is quaint, small and largely scam free and it's a much prettier, more peaceful trip than through Poipet. If you opt to stay in Battambang (you should) for at least a night - it's only a couple of hours from Pailin - then it breaks up what is otherwise an Uncomfortable-To-Hellish 7+ hour bus trip from Poipet to Phnom Penh. Chanthaburi is a cool city, the scenery from there to Baan Pakard is beautiful, Pailin is quaint and interesting old gem trading & Khmer Rouge capital, Battambang is a comfortable, but not overrun old provincial capital (technically Cambodia's second largest city, but you won't believe it) with a small collection of great food (Gecko Cafe, Pomme D'amour, White Rose) and awesome expat bar outposts (Madison Corner). The whole trip is very nice.

Ringo R posted:

duckmaster buys a bar. eviljelly marries a prostitute. Let's turn this into ThaiVisa!
For that we'll need at least one person living in Isaan posting twice a month about what old fart died, what old fart is sick and which bar they refuse to go to because the owner is a real oval office who charges too much for Chang and don't know how to make a proper pie anyhow, mate.

eviljelly posted:

Groping passing tourists on Koh Tao after your 5th bottle of Chang doesn't constitute a policy!

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 21, 2013

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

ReindeerF posted:

Chiang Mai, you can do all that hill tribe trek poo poo I guess, everyone seems to love all that. For me, the only interesting part about Northern Thailand are the rural peoples, the beautiful scenery and the local foods like nam prik num and sai oua and khao soi and so on. All the elephants and hill tribes (with Coke machines in the chieftan's hut) and that stuff isn't my bag. Jogging into the countryside into coffee fields and chatting with villagers and eating at little local stalls is more fun.

Yeah I'm with ReindeerF on this one. I spent two months in Chiang Mai after doing the SE Asia loop and I'm still a bit hard pressed to describe why it's such a huge tourist destination. Sure, the food is great (but so is most food in northern Thailand, and you can get most specialties in Bangkok) and the city is pretty chill, but I'd want more time in Cambodia or southern Thailand over just Chiang Mai. Elephant stuff is take it or leave it for me, and the hill tribe treks aren't my bag. If you motorbike, though, there are some nice day rides from the area, and Chiang Rai is kinda cool with its White Temple and equally alluring day rides.

If you're into outdoors-y stuff, you could always try something like Umphang or the Mae Hong Son area instead (just promise us you don't do some "long neck" poo poo). Haven't been to either yet, but Umphang is supposed to have some great hiking and decent rafting, and it's pretty off the beaten path Thailand-wise. Some people also swear that the Mae Sariang -- Umphang route is among the prettiest in Thailand, should you choose that route if you come south from Chiang Mai (but that's getting a bit convoluted, I suppose). Now, getting there from Bangkok would require a Nok flight or bus to Tak or Mae Sot, and I suppose neither area exactly screams "honeymoon."

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 21, 2013

Randomnessity
Feb 22, 2006
I have to say, I love that this thread is still going strong! When I first decided to go to SE Asia after university some 6 years ago, this thread was my inspiration - and now again it has tempted me back to beg for some knowledge!

In January 2014 I'm looking at a 4 weeks away, and was initially looking at flying to Kuala Lumpur, heading to Vietnam and travelling up the country by train (about a week), flying over to Burma for a bit (another week) then spending a few days before heading home in Southern Thailand. My concern is if this is cramming too much in to a short space of time - the first few times I've been to this neck of the world, things have always stopped me getting to Vietnam (girlfriend got food poisoning, bad weather...) and I really would like to get there. But reading the last dozen pages on here, doesn't seem like people have much good to say about the country! Is it really that bad or does it have some redeeming parts?

And then there's Burma - I'm guessing information is still very light on the country but are there any particularly good blogs or anything to check out for there? It seems like you need to be pretty organised in advance due to visas and limited accommodation but is that really the case?

The other thing was are there any decent alternative to Southern Thailand for a nice beach-chillout before heading home? I'd love to try somewhere new, but the diving around Ko Tao really was awesome...

Any and all help appreciated! :3:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I'm not a huge help on your questions, other than to say that The Philippines can be a great place to bum around on a beach if you really, really want to get away from everyone and everything alive, heh (Boracay and a few other tourist beaches that aren't beloved excepted). I've always liked Kph Phangan, but it's not exactly remote. You might try Sri Racha/Koh Si Chang and some of the Eastern Thai islands, maybe with a jaunt over to Koh Kong on the Khmer side.

On the question of your broad itinerary, some of us do poo poo on Vietnam a bit, but if I'd already been to Thailand and I was picking between Malaysia or Vietnam, I'd personally choose Vietnam unless I specifically wanted to see the marine parks and natural beauty aspects of Malaysia. I don't dislike Malaysia, I would just weight Vietnam more to my personal tastes even though I really don't like a few things about it.

On the topic of Burma, there's a new wealth of info out there since its emergence from decades of isolation. I don't have any travel resources handy, but just hit google and wikitravel and I'm sure you'll find plenty. The only thing I've heard is that hotel prices are still through the roof in the cities (particularly Mandalay and Yangon) with all the chancers flooding in.

Onta vasa
Oct 15, 2004

Look what I made :drugnerd:
If you travel off season Burma you can find places for as low as $5/night if you look hard enough but $10/pp.pn is pretty easy to find. January or peek season, every place is booked solid well in advance and prices are (I'm told) 4x that of low season (You can always stay in monasteries if that's your thing).

I have some posts on my blog (https://www.whereswil.com) from my trip there last month (and more posts coming) including information on connectivity and atms.

The top notch guesthouses I'd recommend are...
Hann Si - Yangon
Remember Inn - Inle
A.D.1 - Mandalay (Amazing location)
Lily's - Hsipaw
...the others I stayed in were just alright.

Ngwe Saung is a beautiful beach that hasn't made it to the typical tourist trail yet. It's beautiful, relaxing and there were only a handful of people there when I was.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

I'm headed off to :nam: for the start of august - Saigon for a few days then whatever I decide seems like a good idea. Who is going to be kicking about? Senso, are you still in town, or are you away home?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
This place is going to be even more locked-down and boring than usual for Idul Fitri (early August), so I'm going to take the week off and try to hit up Saigon/Hanoi and/or Phnom Phen. Part of me wants to scout them out as possible teaching locations for 2014 but I also need a drat holiday. What's fun?

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm scheduled to leave Saigon on August 16 so anything before that, I'll be available to hit the bars and all that.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
You could also check out Hpa-an in Karen State, Burma. It's supposed to have some good hiking, and it's a bit off the tourist trail. Or you can also get wild and try to get down into the Mergui archipelago. Ferries are a bit pricy and so is lodging (relatively), but it's basically a relatively tourist free Andaman destination.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
This is the part where I say "Phnom Penh," but if you're looking for a vacation experience involving vacation-y stuff, that may not be the case, heh. I just love the old French architecture, the people, the Western and international food, the running and biking across the ferry, the bars and so on. It's a great break from Bangkok in that it's got the character of what Bangkok would've been like 40 years ago in some ways (speed of life, friendly people, small community, etc) and in other ways it's very cosmopolitan. If you're coming from somewhere else, that may not be the case.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Started watching this for the parrot, finished watching it for the dank rear end bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo-ZTTyKe3M

Also every time I see those candy cane curbs I get nostalgic.