Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see rocks, so as chief rock curator, yeah you're cool to post here.

That place looks fun as hell to explore.. are the ruins accessible at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few shots with some rocks:

Danmarktur 2013 by azathosk, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

xzzy posted:

I see rocks, so as chief rock curator, yeah you're cool to post here.

That place looks fun as hell to explore.. are the ruins accessible at all?
Everybody says it's closed to the public, but there's a rumor that the parking garage across the street has an access tunnel -- which probably dates back to 900AD.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 21, 2013

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cool as hell. It fooled me and I kept waiting for it to load until I tilted my laptop back and got the right angle to see it. Is this first a brenizer method comp?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

Cool as hell. It fooled me and I kept waiting for it to load until I tilted my laptop back and got the right angle to see it. Is this first a brenizer method comp?

Thanks. The first one is 3 exposures. I think I took around 10, but the wider angle seemed superfluous when I sat down to edit it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

This is cool.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

Thanks. The first one is 3 exposures. I think I took around 10, but the wider angle seemed superfluous when I sat down to edit it.

I just hope you didn't remove anything :cheeky: With the 2nd one I'm not sure what is there and what I just think I'm seeing. Very cool

-----

New Zealand's highest mountain:

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
sometimes the land comes to you

tidal forces ii by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
This is powerful.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
This is really great, the "observatory" or whatever you would call that makes me uncomfortable... which heightens the feeling that it shouldn't be there at all. It's juxtaposition and poo poo, cool shot.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Did you submit this picture to NatGeo?

Edit: nevermind, that was someone else. you still have a fantastic photo.

Some of you should be submitting some of these photos to contests more.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 21, 2013

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Not that interesting as far as rocks go

Subiendo por las piedras by Mijaeus, on Flickr

Edit: forgot which was probably the best from the hike:

Santiago limpio by Mijaeus, on Flickr

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 23, 2013

chrith
Jan 7, 2009
Can waterscapes play?

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

DSCF2213.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2200.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

DSCF2192.jpg by fuglsnef, on Flickr

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Nice! Love the composition in this one

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Antelope Canyon was a madhouse. No time to compose or setup. I was lucky to be in the first tour group car, so at least I was able to get some shots without a million people in them. Someday I'd like to go back and take a photo tour, although from what I've read, it's almost the same as the 'normal' tour. (Except you get 30 seconds per shot instead of 10)

Both of these are beautiful. The silhouetted shoreline and trees add an interesting foreground in the second shot, but I do wish the trees didn't cover so much of those awesome mountains. Next time bring a boat ;)

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Those canyon shots are gorgeous.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Gambl0r posted:

Antelope Canyon was a madhouse. No time to compose or setup. I was lucky to be in the first tour group car, so at least I was able to get some shots without a million people in them. Someday I'd like to go back and take a photo tour, although from what I've read, it's almost the same as the 'normal' tour. (Except you get 30 seconds per shot instead of 10)

Both of these are beautiful. The silhouetted shoreline and trees add an interesting foreground in the second shot, but I do wish the trees didn't cover so much of those awesome mountains. Next time bring a boat ;)

Thanks. Thats a good point about the trees. There is actually a road right behind me and a lookout for the tourists about half a mile to the right of where I was so I probably should have moved that way a bit. Buuuuut I was in a hurry :)

Those Antelope Canyon shots are great, I couldn't handle taking photos in that situation. That first one I like how the vertical lines in the rock kind of look like light rays coming down!

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Took a trip to Southern NSW for a university practical last week and I'm glad I took my camera with me as it's an interesting place. Sorry in advance if some of the photo's look a little cruddy quite a few were taken from a moving bus which throws a mix of variables into the equation.

113.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

098.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr
Grain silo's in Cootamundra

080.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

065.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

023.jpg by drgarbanzo, on Flickr

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

Gambl0r posted:

Good lord, did you show up on a weekend at noon? I shudder to think that it got even more crowded than when I was there in 2006: 8-10 tour groups at a time, and 5-15 people in each group.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

quazi posted:

Good lord, did you show up on a weekend at noon? I shudder to think that it got even more crowded than when I was there in 2006: 8-10 tour groups at a time, and 5-15 people in each group.

This was on a non-holiday Wednesday at 1pm. Our group was small, only 8 people.... Somehow (luck) I was picked to go in the first car, which was a large SUV, instead of the normal transportation, which is a pickup truck with seats in the bed that can hold 12+ people. I think there were 6 of these filled for the 1pm tour, but you also have to deal with the 12pm people exiting as you are entering the canyon, and people from other tour companies. There has to be 200 people crammed in there, even at the off-peak times.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 24, 2013

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

There's no way to sneak up there on off-hours?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

The tones and the composition here are both dynamite.

Inn at Presque Isle, Erie PA by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

East Lake posted:

There's no way to sneak up there on off-hours?

Well, it would be a few miles hike into Native American land... I'm sure people have snuck in there after normal tour hours but it would be nearly pitch black anyway. The hours right around noon are the best for photography because you get the most light into the canyon. I imagine even morning or evening tours have to be pretty dark. There are other slot canyons in the area that aren't tourist traps - this was just the only one I was able to get to on this trip. Some of the other ones involve hikes, canyoneering, wading, etc. Even with the less-than-perfect shooting conditions, the canyon was amazing to see in person and I still highly recommend it (and the tour company I used, Chief Tsosie).

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Just got back from a week long hiking trip...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Slowly going through my photos, most are snapshots...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
More scans of Yosemite, cross post with the film thread

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Went to Jasper on the weekend, kinda disappointed in my shots, but I learned that one shouldn't experiment with a new neutral density filter when in the company of an impatient girlfriend...

Indian Ridge by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Athabasca River by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Medicine Lake by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Pyramid Lake and Pyramid Mountain by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

Maligne Canyon by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If your girl isn't willing to stand around for an hour while you dick with your camera, perhaps she's not "the one." :colbert:

I have the exact opposite problem.. I constantly feel guilty about making el wifey stand around while I futz. She insists it's okay but I still feel like a dork.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Spedman posted:

More scans of Yosemite, cross post with the film thread

The dynamic range in these is impressive and makes me want to shoot film. The purple & green 'tint' to both looks awesome - are you doing some kind of cross-process or split-tone technique in post or is this a result of the type of film you're using?

Edit: adding some photos of Coyote Buttes :swoon:

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 27, 2013

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Moved into the city in April, still haven't gotten proper Internet access, but plenty of photo opportunities of the cityscape.

Presidential. by ryantss, on Flickr

Southern Skyline via KPAC. by ryantss, on Flickr

"Come in," she said. by ryantss, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Gambl0r posted:

The dynamic range in these is impressive and makes me want to shoot film. The purple & green 'tint' to both looks awesome - are you doing some kind of cross-process or split-tone technique in post or is this a result of the type of film you're using?

Edit: adding some photos of Coyote Buttes :swoon:

They are some rad shots.

As for the tint, you can blame that on an uncalibrated monitor/home c41 processing and me not fixing the tint properly in Lightroom after a scan, but mostly me and Lightroom.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

neckbeard posted:

Went to Jasper on the weekend, kinda disappointed in my shots, but I learned that one shouldn't experiment with a new neutral density filter when in the company of an impatient girlfriend...

Athabasca River by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I took nearly the same photo a few years ago... I wonder how many people have the same one.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Dread Head posted:

I took nearly the same photo a few years ago... I wonder how many people have the same one.

Ha, probably a lot - they have a shot from that location on the wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabasca_River Love the river colour in yours, guess the glacier runoff was still going strong while I was there

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

So paper :toot:

Marvin Meatbat
Mar 2, 2006
This space intentionally left blank

Diamond Head Crater View by MRBWorth, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Gambl0r posted:

Well, it would be a few miles hike into Native American land... I'm sure people have snuck in there after normal tour hours but it would be nearly pitch black anyway. The hours right around noon are the best for photography because you get the most light into the canyon. I imagine even morning or evening tours have to be pretty dark. There are other slot canyons in the area that aren't tourist traps - this was just the only one I was able to get to on this trip. Some of the other ones involve hikes, canyoneering, wading, etc. Even with the less-than-perfect shooting conditions, the canyon was amazing to see in person and I still highly recommend it (and the tour company I used, Chief Tsosie).
Cool. I was looking up other slot canyons right after I asked that and there's plenty of options.