Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

nsaP posted:

Find someone who wants to trade down from a 1000 and leave it in 2nd.

Maybe this is a sign I should have went with the SV1000 I could have had from my dad instead of buying the 650.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Abe Froman posted:

"donorcycles.". Hurrr.

keeping with the theme clearly the solution is a suicide shifter

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Abe Froman posted:

Yeah, that's what I told the doctor, that I wished it was my right ankle because I ride. He then asked me if I knew that doctors called motorcycles "donorcycles.". Hurrr.

I must have a pretty good doctor because for the decade I've known him he's been pretty chill about all the crazy poo poo I do. He pretty much always says to rest when I have an injury but never really gives me any speeches about anything.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

echomadman posted:

keeping with the theme clearly the solution is a suicide shifter

Was going to recommend this, but one that looks like a big rig shifter with a skull on top

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 21, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Also the skull should light up with some sick LEDZ.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:toot:

1. Clean and re-oil air filter
2. Lube choke cable, add lithium grease to lever
3. Lube throttle cables
4. Spark Plugs
5. Tap breather bolt
6. New valve cover gasket
7. Alternator damper bushings are all toast, which was the cause of my awful alternator noise
8. Put weather stripping on every panel and hinge to prevent fairing vibrations when reassembled
9. New taillight bulbs
10. Fabricate bracket for rear Pyramid tire cowl
11. Source working front turn signals
12. Whatever else I see needing replacement is getting done

At this point it's just waiting for the goddamned parts to arrive. :argh:

Still looking for a bike for my girlfriend too. SoCal is literally the most garbage area of California. Looked at an EX500 with "new brakes" so bad I had to four-finger to prevent it rolling down the owner's driveway in neutral. Are people all just loving stupid?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Looks like I have to drive for an hour and buy an old engine at the wreckers tomorrow. 'cause there's no cam holders in North America for an '82 cm450c, and gently caress if I'm waiting 3 weeks to backorder one from Japan when it costs half as much as aforementioned wrecker engine anyways. :suicide:

Guys, never overtorque your bolts. Ever.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Rime posted:

Looks like I have to drive for an hour and buy an old engine at the wreckers tomorrow. 'cause there's no cam holders in North America for an '82 cm450c, and gently caress if I'm waiting 3 weeks to backorder one from Japan when it costs half as much as aforementioned wrecker engine anyways. :suicide:

stupid question, would an '81 CM200t's cam holders work? I've got one laying around if so.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Nope, 82-86 cb&cm 450 only. :(

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Xovaan posted:

Still looking for a bike for my girlfriend too. SoCal is literally the most garbage area of California. Looked at an EX500 with "new brakes" so bad I had to four-finger to prevent it rolling down the owner's driveway in neutral. Are people all just loving stupid?

Hey, those brakes were brand new three years ago!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rime posted:

Cam holders are matched to heads, fyi, if you're talking about the bits that hold the cams down.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Cam holders are matched to heads, fyi, if you're talking about the bits that hold the cams down.

This, a machine shop can do an align bore and hone to make the new cam caps fit properly though.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just bought a drat engine for $300. Now I have a spare cm450 with only 20k on it, minus that left cam holder! :woop:

Hurt my knee getting it out of the truck though. It dropped suddenly and now my knee feels...wierd.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Rime posted:

I just bought a drat engine for $300. Now I have a spare cm450 with only 20k on it, minus that left cam holder! :woop:

Hurt my knee getting it out of the truck though. It dropped suddenly and now my knee feels...wierd.

Get that knee looked at, I can tell you from experience that knee injuries can mess your life up worse than anything else.

tarzanspuma
Jan 23, 2006

Gorilla
Disassembled the R12ST for an ABS service (I'm a year overdue):

Partially reassembled for a test ride (please god, don't let me have screwed this up :ohdear:):

Seemed to work great! (whew!) And it was fun as hell riding that bike with no bodywork. Got some weird looks from the neighborhood.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I love how that thing looks without the bodywork.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Last night at 1:30 am I rolled up my sleeves and decided that it was time to really get into my new Z1000. I rode it around my city until my butt got numb - a hour and a half. No fuckin' cars clogging up the streets and bringing constant red lights, which was incredibly awesome.

What I got from my ride: the marvelous low RPM punch of the big liter which often precluded the need to go into the higher RPMs, the sweet intake noise (intake is right under my seat!), the boomy rumble from 1k RPM to 3k RPM (kinda inconvenient when I'm trying to crawl around sleeping neighborhoods), the intimidatingly smooth nature of the bike compared to my 636, the poo poo suspension. I currently have no true confidence yet ripping around on the bike - I can't dive into corners without bouncing around and feeling as if I'm gonna flip off the bike. It's more of a point-and-shoot bike right now.

I stopped by Wegmans to take a few pictures of the bike in the lighted parking lot. A group of college kids drove up to me in their car in the parking lot, and did donuts around me while one kid jumped up on the roof, rolling on his back and doing a "wheelie" gesture, his arms and legs flailing wildly. That was also awesome.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 25, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

I love how that thing looks without the bodywork.

Looks kinda like a Transformer that got stuck mid-transform.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I tried pulling the rod on my airhead but couldn't get it out in the current engine position. The largest allen key that fits on my crankshaft just strips the bolt, meaning I can't turn the engine to get the rod out. :saddowns:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Put it in gear and use the wheel?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Yup, doing the valves on the KTM I always put it in 2nd or 3rd and walk it forward or back to reach TDC.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Changed my oil for the 3rd time this month. They didn't have Mobil 1 at the Autozone I found in in Texas when I changed it down there so I went with Castrol synthetic. I won't do that again; by 2000 miles on that oil it was breaking down and condensing out of the breather as a yellow snot-like goo. Pretty gross.

2.75 qt of fresh Mobil1 in the swing arm. Still need to change the primary oil and I am waiting for my brake parts to arrive.

Anybody else keep maintenance records? Since last February the Ulysses has clocked about 17,000 miles and it's cost me about $1780 to maintain. Almost half of that total is tires, another $180 into a belt. The rest, mostly oil changes.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:gonk: Really? That's the stuff I'm using. I hope it doesn't do that when I reach 2k.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I wouldn't worry too much, I was basically subjecting mine to torture and the engine is naturally pretty mean to its lubricant already. I've used that oil in the past and it's held up fine for around-town riding in 40-90 degree weather. 2000 miles of 100+ degree riding through low speed limit national parks is rough on anything, but on the way down the M1 I had seemed to hold together better. By the end of the life of that castrol, it sounded like my top-end wanted to explode on cold starts.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Changed my oil for the 3rd time this month. They didn't have Mobil 1 at the Autozone I found in in Texas when I changed it down there so I went with Castrol synthetic. I won't do that again; by 2000 miles on that oil it was breaking down and condensing out of the breather as a yellow snot-like goo. Pretty gross.

2.75 qt of fresh Mobil1 in the swing arm. Still need to change the primary oil and I am waiting for my brake parts to arrive.

Anybody else keep maintenance records? Since last February the Ulysses has clocked about 17,000 miles and it's cost me about $1780 to maintain. Almost half of that total is tires, another $180 into a belt. The rest, mostly oil changes.

Dang. Do you use the standard 5000mi interval or do you change it more often? I'm doing the 10,000 stuff this weekend, so that includes adjusting the primary chain, haven't done that before. The book also says to adjust the clutch but it feels perfect so I don't think I'll bother. And I really need to get around to repainting my exhaust.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I target about 4000 miles or 6 months between crankcase oil under normal circumstances, but I also change oil for spring tune-up, before big trips, and after severe use so it's often done earlier.

I'm going to inspect the primary chain when I change out the Formula+ this weekend. I haven't checked it in the 17k miles I put on it, though the clutch engages fine and it doesn't make excessive noise so I am expecting to not have to touch it. I adjusted the cable before my trip.

Oh hey, I put 17k on the Buell with only a bunch of oil changes, a few wear items, and a couple minor issues after picking it up with 37k. That's as many miles as I put on my Vstar, fresh from the crate, before it needed its cases split to repair the gearbox which alone cost more than all the upkeep I've done on the Ulysses. Knocking on wood here, you don't see many Thunderstorms on pace for 60,000, which I'll probably pass this summer.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The stock ninja front bulb is really loving bad (I outrun it at 30mph) so I changed it today. Bike looks hilarious without the front fairing.

It went well but I made an unpleasant discovery:

:siren: "YOUR BIKE IS TOO loving LOW FOR CALIFORNIA DIPSHIT" :siren:

The bottom fairing is basically like bashplate :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is your bike lowered? Pretty normal to get scrapes of a sort there on a big pothole or from riding off a curb.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah it's lower than stock. From what I've seen, the sidewalk ramps in california are waaay steeper than on the east coast. I'm entirely sure this one was caused by my apartment's parking lot ramp.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

M42 posted:

Yeah it's lower than stock. From what I've seen, the sidewalk ramps in california are waaay steeper than on the east coast. I'm entirely sure this one was caused by my apartment's parking lot ramp.

Welcome to my hell, the Connie's lowest clearance point is 3.5". Bonus points that it's the exhaust that scrapes...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I did the same thing going from dual sports to a rented goldwing: parking lot speedbump? Full thrott--oh wait poo poo poo poo poo poo brakessss! KUDGE!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

:catbert:

Also I need to helicoil one of my valve cover bolts because Z3N OVER TIGHTENED THEN TO 25FTLBS :argh: damnit Z3n!

new plugs, cleaned and re-oiled air filter, new alternator dampers (rattle from alternator gone! Old dampers were half the size and half-sludge oh my god not good), new valve cover gasket, oiled and adjusted throttle cables, topped off brake fluid, and put foam camper padding everywhere on my bike:

So now the bike sounds like a screaming sewing machine instead of a screaming sewing machine filled with bees and buckshot. Test run gave me a sputter at 7k, which I can likely attribute to either spark plug #3's connector not fully seated or plug #4 not being tightened to the same torque as the other cylinders due to inability to fit a torque wrench in there.

Still need brake and license light bulbs but other than that the thing runs like an entirely new (terrifying) bike. :sun:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

No I didn't you tightened all the bolts.

I have the worst time working on your bike.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Oops. Welp that's what I get for not using a torque wrench.

It's a beast that doesn't wish to be tamed. I think most of the issues are sorted out now though!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Popped a 3rd gen zx10r rear suspension setup on the SV tonight. I was too tired to test ride it, but I'm excited to ride something not as bouncy-castle-esque tomorrow. It took some finangling and some repositioning of the undertail, but it mounted right up. I'm pretty pleased with it.

On a related note, is there some loving secret trick to getting rear wheels on quickly? I swear between things not lining up, spacers falling out, and my constant need of more than two arms, it takes me like 45 goddamn minutes to get one back on, every single time.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 27, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Let's see...Put a new chain and sprocket set on the DRZ, three up in the back. New longer shift lever, and case savers on both sides, as well as a SS brake line; it seems to have improved the stock brakes some, though both the clutch and the front brake need to be put out a little, they pinch my fingers. Most useful, I put black nail polish over the outrageously bright highbeam and neutral indicators, they were literally blinding. Next up, 3x3 mod (I've been waiting for my street bike to get back from it's scheduled service) and carb work.

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
New choke cable to replace the one I killed last week in my tumble
I bought one on saturday, but the plastic bolt snapped while tightening it onto the bracket (on the dash) and I had to wait for my local Honda dealership to order another

Was also going to add my new gear pedal today, but I forgot to order the rubber grip for it so I'll have to wait until it gets in (hopefully tomorrow)

Mayor Poopenmayer fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jun 27, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

What's up with those plugs? They look pretty dark, and I cannot tell if they are carbon fouled (rich) or oil fouled (rings/valves):negative:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bike was like riding diabetes. My air filters were likely only flowing about 66% the necessary air due to the oil leak completely coating the pods in a shell of sticky road grime, and the jet kit that existed in the engine was not happy, not at all. This would also explain my ever-decreasing mileage (from 37 city to 30 :gonk: )

I'm really excited for a shakedown run today but I don't know where to take it in urbania to do so. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

Popped a 3rd gen zx10r rear suspension setup on the SV tonight. I was too tired to test ride it, but I'm excited to ride something not as bouncy-castle-esque tomorrow. It took some finangling and some repositioning of the undertail, but it mounted right up. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Wow. So this is what suspension is supposed to feel like. Next up: GSXR front end swap.