Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Hey guys! Here's another small preview of some new things I'm putting in for the next update.

The Grand Principality of Rozha

Did any of you ever play as the Morganites in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? Those guys whose specialty was to just sort of sit back and be rich as gently caress and even had a special victory condition where they could use their wealth to take over the world? Well that's who the Rozhans are.

Is there an enemy faction that thwarts your plans with Bitcoins? I don't know what the medieval equivalent would be, minting and reminting coins until they obtain a unique casting error, which is then carefully recorded by scribes in a set of voluminous tomes which are regularly distributed across the world for collectors to reference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Well, answered my own question, guess it was just the game lagging on me or something, because I let it go a day or two, and my Republic disappears anyways. :smith:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

HotCanadianChick posted:

Noooo. Everytime you capture someone's wife during raiding/sieging, take them as a concubine. Nothing else straight up says "VIKINGS MOTHERFUCKER" like stealing some king's wife and making her part of your harem. Especially when you can do it to someone like the basileus or the holy roman emperor. :getin:

I raided Constantinople once and ended up capturing the Basileus' sister, who had an inheritable claim.

And that's why Basileus Björn Rurikovich has a -1 diplomacy trait.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hey, can somebody help me out understanding the new tech system, since I'm gonna have to bottom-line it? I know what generates points (buildings and your stats), but not why some specific tech lines build themselves up over time while others don't, and also why you care about tech spreading outside your capital, since that's the only place you get the benefits in, except for stuff like City Management or whatever where it limits the complexity of the things you can build in each province.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

CapnAndy posted:

Hey, can somebody help me out understanding the new tech system, since I'm gonna have to bottom-line it? I know what generates points (buildings and your stats), but not why some specific tech lines build themselves up over time while others don't, and also why you care about tech spreading outside your capital, since that's the only place you get the benefits in, except for stuff like City Management or whatever where it limits the complexity of the things you can build in each province.

If you hover over the gain rates it'll show you how you get points, and you want it to spread to other counties because lots of technology opens up new buildings, as mentioned. I think some of the war technology also increases levies in counties that have it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Daeren posted:

If you hover over the gain rates it'll show you how you get points, and you want it to spread to other counties because lots of technology opens up new buildings, as mentioned. I think some of the war technology also increases levies in counties that have it.

Yeah naval tech will give your vassals more boats. Also trade organisation of 2 or above in a province will let you set up a merchant republic there.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Slowbeef said that the LP is a-okay. So there.

Well drat.

If you guys are doing a tutorial LP, anyone want to join me in a succession game like we once had before Old Gods? Also if anyone else wants to join in, anyone have any ideas on where to start?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Protagorean posted:

Well, answered my own question, guess it was just the game lagging on me or something, because I let it go a day or two, and my Republic disappears anyways. :smith:

Republics taking over empires are weird. I once took over the HRE with Venice and every time I loaded my game I jumped back to Dodge of Venice with the empire being a secondary title.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

The tech lines building themselves up (spinning gears) is spread from neighbouring counties I think, with very slow increase if the neighbours are at the same level and no increase if they are lower.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a limit on how many children you can have on one character?

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 20, 2013

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Broken Cog posted:

IS there a limit on how many children you can have on one character?
My best is 10, but Emperor Connal is super-fertile and he's on his third wife (they keep dying young!) so I've had an unending reign of young baby-machine wives. I think he can best it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Broken Cog posted:

Start at 1066 and go take a look at the King of Denmark.

(Your answer is no)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I think there is a limit for unlanded characters but I can't remember what it is. Don't think there is one for landed characters so it shouldn't effect the player.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Thanks guys, I couldn't find a definite answer, but I'm guessing it's just a soft cap at 10-15 or something.

CapnAndy posted:

My best is 10, but Emperor Connal is super-fertile and he's on his third wife (they keep dying young!) so I've had an unending reign of young baby-machine wives. I think he can best it.

My current 73 years old Norse guy has had 2 wives and 5 concubines, and currently has 13 (living) kids.

Gavelkind of course, so it's gonna be fun times when he dies.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

So that's what happens when you grant an entire kingdom to a vassal. In other news, the Byzantine Empire is now Lollard and Venice just won a holy war for Andalusia and then apparently granted a bunch of counts independence. :psyduck:

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
Did you win a great holy war and then just grant the entire kingdom and lower titles to one person?

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Did you win a great holy war and then just grant the entire kingdom and lower titles to one person?

Correct. Wasn't expecting the first great holy war target for the Slavic faith to be Cumania but I'll take it.

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
How'd it look a week later when he gave away most of the titles?

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

I SAID LISTEN posted:

How'd it look a week later when he gave away most of the titles?

I looked over and he actually did pretty well keeping counts in their right duchies. In a few years though things will probably go to poo poo because of the low crown authority, but who knows.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What determines how large a host gets?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

Daeren posted:

Start at 1066 and go take a look at the King of Denmark.

(Your answer is no)

Historically accurate too:

Wikipedia posted:

He was married three times, and fathered 20 children or more, including the five future kings Harald III Hen, Canute IV the Saint, Oluf I Hunger, Eric I Evergood and Niels out of wedlock.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I was really excited when I saw the entire Paradox catalog was 50% off on Steam because I wanted to grab ToG.

Apparently they're just lying to me :(

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Granted, that's a bit misleading, but all the same, it's maybe a little unrealistic to expect a 50% price cut on a DLC that isn't even a month old yet. That said, if you wait another month for the summer sale, it'll probably be 50% off by then!

If you're impatient you can also pick it up at 20% off on GMG.

e: Hah, I lied, here's TOG for 50% off: http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/crusader-kings-ii-the-old-gods/109653

Leb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 20, 2013

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum
Quick question, if I buy Sunset Invasion DLC during this sale will it invalidate my current saves? Will it still kick in?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Since all DLC functionality is already made available to/being used by the AI with each new patch, all DLC is save compatible; buying it will simply unlock it for the player.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
So, I'm playing as the Byzantines for the first time - its awesome. My current ruler, Crysogone the Confessor, is about 50 years old, and has ruled for 30. She is brave, wroth and zealous celibate poet, and she has purged byzantium of heresy. Her grandfather reformed orthodoxy, and when she came to power she was immediately plunged into a succession crisis that took years of brutal war to win. She realised that this was in large part because she still had many catholic vassals. This would change.

A combination of attracting the master of shadows Mattios (an intrigue super-eunuch with a 31 intrigue score) and many great generals (always had at least 3 at 20+), she was able to purge or cripple all catholics within the empire through assassination and war. She has conquered enough land that her son will be able to re-establish the roman empire, and to top it all off, she has just converted the antichrist to orthodoxy. Her courtier Eudoxia is a paranoid homosexual with all 7 of the deadly sins, and is possessed by Satan. When Eudoxia tried to convert Crysogone, the Empress was able to counter convert her to orthodoxy. Truly, she deserves the title of "The Saint" more than her thoroughly mediocre grandfather, but ah well...

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I've just started reading the Alexiad by Anna Komnenos, who for the uninitiated is the daughter of Alexios I Komnenos, the Byzantine Emperor prior and during the First Crusade. It's very interesting and really shows how deranged and brave some of the people were in this timeframe.

During one battle Alexios makes camp in a river bend, a short distance away there is a ditch caused by the natural changing of the river over the years that they use to fortify as an outer palisade. As far as military camps go it's quite defensible. Alexios decides to set up shop and have everyone pitch tents and make camp fires. Then he has the army leave the camp and stay a short distance away. The pretender Emperor charges into the semi-deserted camp during the night (people like scribes and presumably prostitutes given the timeframe still inhabited the camp and gave it the appearance of being active.) His troops figure that Alexios fled and break apart to start looting poo poo. At that moment Alexios' forces attack and start smashing up Nikephoros Basilakes' army and given it was nighttime there is shitloads of confusion.

quote:

During this time, a Frank, belonging to the Domestic's[The Imperial Army] troops, and, to make a long story short, a brave soldier, instinct with the spirit of Ares, noticed my father coming out from the enemy's centre, bare sword in hand, all smoking with blood, and took him for one of the enemy. In a trice he fell upon him, knocked him on the chest with his spear, and was within an ace of hurling the General off his horse, had the General not seated himself more firmly, and addressed the soldier by name, and threatened to cut off his head with his sword. However, the Frank, by pleading his want of recognition, and the confusion consequent upon a night-battle, was allowed to remain among the living!

Alexios literally gets speared in the chest by a Frank by mistake and just decides to yell at him.

quote:

Then, too, a certain Cappadocian, called Goules, a faithful servant of my father's, a hard-hitter, of ungovernable fury in battle, saw Basilacius, and making sure that it was he, struck him on his helmet. But he suffered the fate of Menelaus, when fighting against Paris; for his sword "shattered into 3 or 4 pieces," [Iliad 3:363] fell from his hand, and only the hilt remained in his grip. The General seeing this straightway mocked at him for not holding his sword tight, and called him a coward, but when the soldier shewed him the hilt of his sword which he still grasped, he became less abusive.

Another soldier actually finds Nikephoros Basilakes, who was leading the revolt, and breaks his sword on the helmet when slashing at his head. Basilakes decides the best thing to do is just call him a coward who can't hold his sword properly until he notices the soldier was still holding the hilt in his hand. :hist101:

The prose is easily readable and is actually quite interesting.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/AnnaComnena-Alexiad-intro.asp

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
That is super interesting, thanks for posting it!

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Um, is there a bug in the first TOG version (that I'm still playing)? Because I have complete control of the duchies of sicily and antioch as well as everything else, but the decision has them as crosses rather than ticks and won't let me create the Roman Empire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrSunshine posted:

LODS OF EMONE

I've been enjoying Sonendar all day as the Clockwater dynasty but this insane Morganite brilliance is something else. :10bux:

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a limit on how many children you can have on one character?

Not a hard limit but I believe there are a couple of modifiers that reduce your chances of having more kids as you have them. I might be full of poo poo though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Stumiester posted:

Um, is there a bug in the first TOG version (that I'm still playing)? Because I have complete control of the duchies of sicily and antioch as well as everything else, but the decision has them as crosses rather than ticks and won't let me create the Roman Empire.
Are you sure that it's completely controlled? If a single barony is independent or controlled by someone outside your realm, you need to take it over.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Stumiester posted:

Echoing what Strudel Man said, but especially for Sicily remember that Malta is part of Sicily.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Is it possible to play as different families of a single republic in Multiplayer? If so, I have a stupid idea for a game with some friends.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kalos posted:

Is it possible to play as different families of a single republic in Multiplayer? If so, I have a stupid idea for a game with some friends.

Sure! Just click on the republic and then select the family under the "vassals" displayed under the ruler's portrait on the right hand side.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just picked this up again after not getting into it the first time. I started as Dublin as per many people's recommendation as a newbie. My father hasn't died yet so I still only have dublin. What should I be doing in the meantime to give myself a good start. What structures should I focus on and such? How about neighbors, anything in particular that I should be looking for/ doing?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zotix posted:

I just picked this up again after not getting into it the first time. I started as Dublin as per many people's recommendation as a newbie. My father hasn't died yet so I still only have dublin. What should I be doing in the meantime to give myself a good start. What structures should I focus on and such? How about neighbors, anything in particular that I should be looking for/ doing?

Send your chancellor to fabricate claims in a neighboring county. If you grab a certain one of them (Kildare I think?), you'd be able to crown yourself the Duke of Meath, which nets you some prestige and lets you have counts (aka earls) as vassals, and also lets you interact with the technology system. Try to marry a neighboring ruler's daughter, so that you can call in an ally in wars, and so that your kids could eventually press their claim on granddad's county.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
I'd just like to throw out a recommendation for the Umbra Spherae mod:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588964

Basically a "Whole Eurasia" mod, with some pretty detailed kingdom/empire setups in the 1066 start (though it's playable on the other dates as well). The current version has some annoying bugs, but hopefully with some incentive the author will give it the polish it deserves. Certainly is fun starting out as the Turks and actually having to worry about the Indian kingdoms to the east, or trying to unite China ROT3K-style.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So pops died and I got the county of Leinster. However one of my sons is heir to Dublin, and one to Leinster. I assume when my character dies, I'll lose one of those territories based on which son I take command of. How do I unify them? I was looking for a way to create a duchy including Dublin and Leinster, but it doesn't seem possible. Is there an IRC channel?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sulla posted:

I'd just like to throw out a recommendation for the Umbra Spherae mod:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?588964

Basically a "Whole Eurasia" mod, with some pretty detailed kingdom/empire setups in the 1066 start (though it's playable on the other dates as well). The current version has some annoying bugs, but hopefully with some incentive the author will give it the polish it deserves. Certainly is fun starting out as the Turks and actually having to worry about the Indian kingdoms to the east, or trying to unite China ROT3K-style.

Last time I tried this, I tried Korea, and the terrain was off (huge, jagged spikes shooting up into the air) and provinces were like, off centre or something? It was difficult to click on them and you weren't actually clicking on the province. I assume that's all better now? I tried it a good while ago, maybe when LoR came out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zotix posted:

So pops died and I got the county of Leinster. However one of my sons is heir to Dublin, and one to Leinster. I assume when my character dies, I'll lose one of those territories based on which son I take command of. How do I unify them? I was looking for a way to create a duchy including Dublin and Leinster, but it doesn't seem possible. Is there an IRC channel?
Looks like you've got yourself a gavelkind problem. Now, if your eldest son is a glorious beacon of all things good and your younger son is a worthless loser, then give the second son a church and he should be out of the succession. In my experience, however, the opposite tends to be true, in which case you have to have your oldest son murdered because typically you aren't allowed to give the oldest son a church(try it if you want, though, I might be wrong).

• Locked thread