Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

n8r posted:

I don't think anyone in this thread can actually back a bike in. Requesting video evidence of anyone in here actually doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGBWKMa1OgE

Edit: I'm on ignore :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

There's a time and a place for hooning and apparently it's on residential city streets with traffic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

There's a time and a place for hooning and apparently it's on residential city streets with traffic.

You're goddamn right it is.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

nsaP posted:

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that a man on a sumo might ride it like a maniac.

JP Money posted:

As far as hooning, some people just like to gently caress around and try to ride wheelies and jump stupid poo poo. I'm certainly no sumo star nor do I claim to be good at anything but I can say without a doubt compared to all my sportbike friends who ride from Pt. A to Pt. B I do a lot more stupid poo poo.

Maybe you're reading into the posts a bit much. Everyone that has a supermoto talks it up like that because it really is more fun than a sportbike for messing around. You don't have to be the next big French star on a race-ready CRF450 to mess around and have fun.

It's all about being far more capable at breaking the social contract/laws dictating what you can do on the road, for instance I got stuck behind a row of cars trying to enter a convenience store/gas station parking lot while others were trying to get out and others were blocking everybody waiting for a turn at the pump, so I hopped the curb, rode over the grass and snaked a spot that was just opening up. Some ladies leaving were dying laughing at my chutzpa. If you're not doing things other people wish they could do but can't/won't you're missing the point of hooning.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked that a man on a sumo might ride it like a maniac.

It's all about being far more capable at breaking the social contract/laws dictating what you can do on the road, for instance I got stuck behind a row of cars trying to enter a convenience store/gas station parking lot while others were trying to get out and others were blocking everybody waiting for a turn at the pump, so I hopped the curb, rode over the grass and snaked a spot that was just opening up. Some ladies leaving were dying laughing at my chutzpa. If you're not doing things other people wish they could do but can't/won't you're missing the point of hooning.

I agree with this 100%. It's very satisfying being able to hop curbs to avoid cars that are being idiots. There are a lot of gated areas around here where people pull up to and don't realize they can't go through. It's usually faster to just hop the curb and get out of there than it would be to back all the way up and let them u-turn and then go through.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It's all about being far more capable at breaking the social contract/laws dictating what you can do on the road
Go back to D&D with your social contract bullshit plz.

nsaP posted:

Well that was 3 minutes of my life I wish I could have back. All I saw was a bunch of non-balance point wheelies and some lovely stoppies followed by almost flicking himself off the highside or something near the end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

Go back to D&D with your social contract bullshit plz.

Well that was 3 minutes of my life I wish I could have back. All I saw was a bunch of non-balance point wheelies and some lovely stoppies followed by almost flicking himself off the highside or something near the end.

Ahh, I see why you were complaining about the lack of hooning. You can't recognize balance point wheelies and you can't recognize backing it in.

DRZ doesn't go fast enough to do good stoppies though, you got me there.

Bonus not balance point wheelies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7syR-joOU

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 20, 2013

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Z3n posted:

Ahh, I see why you were complaining about the lack of hooning. You can't recognize balance point wheelies and you can't recognize backing it in.

Bonus not balance point wheelies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad7syR-joOU

You really do live in your own little dream world. I sometimes regret not reading 98% of your posts because it's like being taken into another universe where you're king badass of riding.

You were accelerating/shifting through all those wheelies, you're not balancing or maintaining a constant speed. You were probably near the balance point or briefly on it but whatever. Shifting through a gear and accelerating is a much safer way to sorta wheelie.

Your 'backing it in' appeared to involve about .5 seconds of wagging around the rear end so congrats? If that's what your definition of backing it in is then go with it.

Your excuse of the DRZ not being fast enough to stoppie is hilarious.

I now await your 5 paragraph filibuster style reply that I will not read...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

:colbert:

drat near 100mph isnt fast enough to do a stoppie?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Z3n, n8r, this one's for you.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

n8r posted:

You really do live in your own little dream world. I sometimes regret not reading 98% of your posts because it's like being taken into another universe where you're king badass of riding.

You were accelerating/shifting through all those wheelies, you're not balancing or maintaining a constant speed. You were probably near the balance point or briefly on it but whatever. Shifting through a gear and accelerating is a much safer way to sorta wheelie.

Your 'backing it in' appeared to involve about .5 seconds of wagging around the rear end so congrats? If that's what your definition of backing it in is then go with it.

Your excuse of the DRZ not being fast enough to stoppie is hilarious.

I now await your 5 paragraph filibuster style reply that I will not read...

Ok, now that we are not discussing only backing it in I am hereby requesting that you provide video of your balance point wheelies.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

JP Money posted:

Ok, now that we are not discussing only backing it in I am hereby requesting that you provide video of your balance point wheelies.

Don't have a dirtbike anymore and I don't like to wheelie things I can't afford to hop off of. I don't claim to be particularly good at them.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Adding the last post to shitty_excuses.txt :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:colbert:

drat near 100mph isnt fast enough to do a stoppie?

Not when you're busy doing accelerating slowly through not balance point wheelies!

quote:

Why don't you come visit? I'll pay for the trackday and you can show me how's it's done. :allears:

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
Who is n8r and why is he so mad?

The youtube of the guy riding wheelies through gears is much more impressive than some fool riding around at 20 in 3rd maintaining a same speed wheelie.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChewedFood posted:

Who is n8r and why is he so mad?

He's a curmudgeon from IRC who comes around every once in a while to poo poo on things.

He's like the forum grandpa

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I miss my supermoto, but I found out a 650+lb shaft drive will stand up happily. That was unexpected and awesome. My wife took it way better than I expected. After the front end came back down I got a "That was awesome!" in the helmet coms instead of a smack in the helmet like I was expecting.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

I don't even give a poo poo about hooning or stoppies or retarded looking dirtbikes that have no business being on the street, but even I know this is a really dumb, ignorant statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQnReV3iw8

I used to do stoppies on a goddamn mountain bike, speed has nothing to do with doing stoppies. (I broke my wrist as a teenager doing an inadvertent stoppie on a bicycle).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It can do them but the point he's making is that bikes with bigger rotors and much stronger Brembo calipers have an easier go of it. DRZ's are somewhat heavier and you run out of front suspension travel pretty quick if you jam on the front. That combined with so-so brakes means that it's not as easy as grabbing a lever with 1 finger on a bike with brembo calipers and a radial master.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

JP Money posted:

It can do them but the point he's making is that bikes with bigger rotors and much stronger Brembo calipers have an easier go of it. DRZ's are somewhat heavier and you run out of front suspension travel pretty quick if you jam on the front. That combined with so-so brakes means that it's not as easy as grabbing a lever with 1 finger on a bike with brembo calipers and a radial master.

That is absolutely not what he said

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Ok well then just take that as my point so that we can end this loving derail and quit speculating on retarded points.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Yeah, there's literally no reason you can't roll a stoppie on a KLR.

e:DRZ HAHAHA that's even worse.

invision fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 21, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

JP Money posted:

Sorta this but also sorta I'll agree with n8, stoppies at below about 80mph are lame. Getting a drz up to 80mph just takes too long. Thats why I bought a zx10.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Stoppies at low speed are awesome if you can manage to convert into a wheelie as soon as the rear hits the ground, especially at traffic lights. It's hard to get the timing of both the maneuver and the lights right though, I've only managed this maybe 3 times in 5 years.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HotCanadianChick posted:

I don't even give a poo poo about...retarded looking dirtbikes that have no business being on the street

Please leave this thread :colbert:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Retarded derails and deluded humblebragging aside.
Has anyone done much to improve the ergos of their DRZ? I find the bars a small bit too low to ride standing up for long periods. I'm 6'0'' but I have a long back and a short inseam. can anyone recommend some bar risers or even just a better position for the handlebars to make it a bit more comfortable.

edit

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please leave this thread :colbert:

He bought an FZ1 as a first bike and has nevereven broken the speed limit, there's no reasoning with him regarding the use of all the capabilities of a motorcycle (or even a tiny fraction of them)

echomadman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 21, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Do you have generic ones or the Renthals or some other aftermarket ones? You can try CR Hi's from Renthal or look for some cheap risers. I've always found rotating the bars up/forward helps with making them more comfortable if you're in the proper dirt riding position where your elbows are up and out. This may help with standing as well and it's easy to try that out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

echomadman posted:

Retarded derails and deluded humblebragging aside.
Has anyone done much to improve the ergos of their DRZ? I find the bars a small bit too low to ride standing up for long periods. I'm 6'0'' but I have a long back and a short inseam. can anyone recommend some bar risers or even just a better position for the handlebars to make it a bit more comfortable.

edit

He bought an FZ1 as a first bike and has nevereven broken the speed limit, there's no reasoning with him regarding the use of all the capabilities of a motorcycle (or even a tiny fraction of them)

If you're only looking for a little bit of rise, you can get some bar risers for pretty cheap, you shouldn't need to do anything with the cables or otherwise.

Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tusk-Handle...eb5a371&vxp=mtr

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also any of the one jillion 7/8" bar risers out there will work.

alk4life
Jul 22, 2004
I did a supermoto school at Sonoma Raceway last Saturday, had a blast.

http://mikedoran.zenfolio.com/p88663317/h67291302#h67291302

Foot out:
http://mikedoran.zenfolio.com/p88663317/h62b36ca0#h62b36ca0

Jumps!
http://mikedoran.zenfolio.com/p88663317/h6696f275#h6696f275

It was a lot to process at first. Sit on the side of the seat opposite of the direction you're turning, sit forward on the bike, feet back on the pegs, push the bike down into turns, smooth throttle over jumps, don't chop the throttle in the air, stand up, enter turns wide, accelerate when you hit the apex, etc., etc., etc...!

I definitely got better, faster, and more confident as the day went on.

I was surprised how much fun the Honda 230s were.

I'm now on the prowl for my own sm.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3884875400.html

Is 13.5k a lot for these bikes?

alk4life fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 22, 2013

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
tell me about the husky te610. have a friend offering me one with sumo rims for $3500. please tell me its horrible and talk me out of buying it.

this thing

Veritas fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 21, 2013

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Veritas posted:

please tell me its horrible and talk me out of buying it.

Excitement wise it's probably about on par with stuffing greased weasels in your pants.

EDIT: oh you said talk you out of it, uh. Hmm, I guess being crippled by a massive boner every time you get off it might be a downside?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 22, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Veritas posted:

tell me about the husky te610. have a friend offering me one with sumo rims for $3500. please tell me its horrible and talk me out of buying it.

this thing

As an SM610 owner, the oil change interval is a little annoying?

Such a good bike!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
The company essentially no longer exists, so factor possible parts availability into your decision.

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012

Veritas posted:

for $3500. please tell me its horrible and talk me out of buying it.

Buy it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Snowdens Secret posted:

The company essentially no longer exists, so factor possible parts availability into your decision.

Swap one of their lawnmower engines into it if it pops

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
convert it to electric with one of their sewing machine motors

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Swap one of their chainsaw engines into it if it pops

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

SaNChEzZ posted:

I back into my parking spot every day, what of it? :smug:

Sometimes I do it in my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did 180 or so miles on the drz today. No wheelies.

I did however corner it constantly at extralegal speeds, wouldn't want to lose ALL of my CA cred.

• Locked thread