Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
The UK allies with and spheres Greece, then joins the Ottoman Empire's side in crises for Greek cores :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

OK, someone tell me about the suppression system in HoD. When should I be suppressing movements? Is it such a big deal if they become more radical?

I, too, would greatly appreciate an effort-post on the suppression system. The way I've been playing, I pretty much never use it because they come back like the next day and they're even more pissed, so why bother? I'm just going to slaughter them when they revolt anyhow, and if I suppress them, they will just be angrier and more numerous when they do eventually revolt, right? So, I guess it's only useful if you're already in dire straits and can't handle a rebellion at that moment?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Argh, gently caress you Paradox! I bought the Norse Faces pack just two days ago and now that poo poo is on sale? :argh:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Conservatives are more likely to vote for reforms depending on the radicalism of any ongoing movements, so suppressing reform movements is one way to get reforms passed. It sounds a little weird, but it's consistent with the whole "you have to be a tyrant if you want democracy" thing the game has going on.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Argh, gently caress you Paradox! I bought the Norse Faces pack just two days ago and now that poo poo is on sale? :argh:

That dollar you're missing is the difference between the African portraits pack and diddly squat!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The big question is does HOI 3 have a Tutorial Hitler trading card?

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Just bought the Victoria Collection + A Heart of Darkness. Now hell in the how do I play this game? I tried following an AAR of Japan on the Paradox forums but it just left me even more confused and overwhelmed. Is there a good AAR/LP that I can follow or a generally accepted newbie nation?

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

TropicalCoke posted:

Just bought the Victoria Collection + A Heart of Darkness. Now hell in the how do I play this game? I tried following an AAR of Japan on the Paradox forums but it just left me even more confused and overwhelmed. Is there a good AAR/LP that I can follow or a generally accepted newbie nation?

One was started at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552262 but it seems to have died on the vine, which is a shame. The first few posts at least explain a few things though, which should be able to get you started.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Drink Cheerwine posted:

I, too, would greatly appreciate an effort-post on the suppression system. The way I've been playing, I pretty much never use it because they come back like the next day and they're even more pissed, so why bother? I'm just going to slaughter them when they revolt anyhow, and if I suppress them, they will just be angrier and more numerous when they do eventually revolt, right? So, I guess it's only useful if you're already in dire straits and can't handle a rebellion at that moment?

It's kinda gamey, but if the biggest reform movement in your country is for a reform you don't want and the second-biggest is for one you do want, you can suppress the one you don't want and then pass the one you do want and only suffer a 10 radicalism penalty (plus a few years for it to get back up to its previous size) instead of 45 radicalism.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

DerLeo posted:

One was started at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552262 but it seems to have died on the vine, which is a shame. The first few posts at least explain a few things though, which should be able to get you started.

Isn't the Three-Month Rule in effect for HoD LPs? If not then I will gladly have something up by tomorrow evening if I have time (I might have a busy day tomorrow, not sure yet), although I can't guarantee that it'll be on the same level as the Kersch CK2 and EU3 LPs.

Edit: just checked and if the Three-Month Rule is in effect for HoD, the earliest anyone can LP it is around 16 July.

Edit 2:

DerLeo posted:

IIRC it got dev approval in this thread.

In that case I'll start playing and gathering screenshots. I figure one game as Japan ought to be good enough, since it can show off Westernizing as well as what it means to be a Great Power, all within a relatively brief timeframe. Maybe a Prussia one to show off the influence system and whatnot and how important it can be? As well as how important crises can get, given that Austria usually gets a ton of them in my experience. It also helps that Prussia/Germany tend to be right in the middle of almost everything whereas Japan is sort of in the periphery of global politics.

Edit 3:

Noreaus posted:

This has been asked before, LP mods said no, even with dev approval. Don't know why that one exists. Maybe the mods changed their mind.
Nevermind. I'll wait until July, in that case.

NEED TOILET PAPER fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 21, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

IIRC it got dev approval in this thread.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
This has been asked before, LP mods said no, even with dev approval. Don't know why that one exists. Maybe the mods changed their mind.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can someone point me at a reasonable up to date beginner's guide for Vicky 2? I've played the crap out of Eu3 and Ck2, but vicky is like a game from the moon.

edit- I guess I'm not the only one to ask.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Okay! I'm really excited.

I've taken my first steps into modding Victoria 2 and it seems to have worked. I created Cascadia!

(It was done before, but not "right" - it seemed too heavy Canadian focused, plus...)

...This is built on top of the New Nations Mod, which means it's just edited NNM files plus everything new (flags, plus newly edited provinces). It's working. NNM is working. The game is working. I'm pretty happy.

What I'd like is now to start learning how to make events. I'm not sure where to begin. Are there any good resources? I didn't see anything in the Paradox forums, but I might be overlooking a specific subforum or something.

I'm not sure whether to just leave Cascadia like it is, or create an event where they attempt to secede/start their own nation. Thoughts? This is all completely new to me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ExtraNoise posted:

(It was done before, but not "right" - it seemed too heavy Canadian focused, plus...)

I love this. The first cracks in Cascadian unity?

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I love this. The first cracks in Cascadian unity?

It's happening because of a Paradox game! :argh:

All kidding aside, the mod only had British culture recognized. I have mine set as Yankee primary, with Anglo Canadian and British cultures recognized.

Edit: I need to figure out whatever native american culture it is that should also be recognized.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

ExtraNoise posted:

What I'd like is now to start learning how to make events. I'm not sure where to begin. Are there any good resources? I didn't see anything in the Paradox forums, but I might be overlooking a specific subforum or something.

The easiest way to learn how to create events/decisions is simply to look at the vanilla ones and copy them.

http://www.paradoxian.org/vicky2wiki/Modding_Guides

The ones you mainly want to use are effects, modifiers and scopes for general information of what you can do and how to do it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Argh. I finished up a CK2+ game and wanted to convert it to EU3. I first loaded up EU3+ because that seemed like a natural progression, but I haven't played EU3 in a while and had forgotten about how big the provinces are, especially in Southern Italy (which was a focal point in the CK2+ game). Slightly frustrated with that, I attempted to install MEIOU next, because I remember it had a far-more-detailed map, except Gigau still hasn't properly updated to the latest patch, so instead of one clean-and-simple install, I've got to download one version of MEIOU, then install a patch and a hotfix and I guess 25 fixes on top of that? It's maddening.

What's the best EU3 mod to use as a base for a CK2 savegame conversion, nowadays?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

ExtraNoise posted:

Okay! I'm really excited.

I've taken my first steps into modding Victoria 2 and it seems to have worked. I created Cascadia!

...This is built on top of the New Nations Mod, which means it's just edited NNM files plus everything new (flags, plus newly edited provinces). It's working. NNM is working. The game is working. I'm pretty happy.

I'm not sure whether to just leave Cascadia like it is, or create an event where they attempt to secede/start their own nation. Thoughts? This is all completely new to me.
When you do learn to make events, be sure to always include the option to choose D. :v:

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

If you want a good map, DAO pretty much backports the V2 map, which I personally love and I think was the same as MEIOU. It's just a map fix so shouldn't be too complicated, and there's a version somewhere that also comes packaged with Miscmods if you wanted some minor fixes. Combining DAO into EU3+ should be possible, but it might break something? Not sure on that.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
MEIOU is the mod with the insane non-contiguous provinces and is very bad, the DAO map is really good though.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DerLeo posted:

If you want a good map, DAO pretty much backports the V2 map, which I personally love and I think was the same as MEIOU. It's just a map fix so shouldn't be too complicated, and there's a version somewhere that also comes packaged with Miscmods if you wanted some minor fixes. Combining DAO into EU3+ should be possible, but it might break something? Not sure on that.
The 'chans have a copy of the DAO/MiscMods combo floating around, so I snatched that one up.

One other question related to the savegame conversion: I started the CK2 game in 1081 as a culturally Roman emperor of the Byzantines, roleplaying a Byzantine classicist who decided the Sultanate of Rum had managed to conquer so much just because the Byzantines weren't being Roman enough. So he overthrew Alexios Komnenos, proclaimed himself emperor, vowed to retake Rome and promptly had every doux declare an independence war on him.

Flash forward to the 1360s, and the Empire has managed to retake most of Greece from the descendants of the rebel dukes, has taken just about all the Italian counties that border the Adriatic, and has moved its capital to Ravenna, because Rome still hasn't been retaken. Culturally it's still "Roman" and has managed to turn Ravenna and the surrounding counties Roman, but just about everything else is still either Greek or Italian. The Empire's doing decently for itself overall, though, and is finally able to start flexing its muscles against Rum, which of course is why the Pope decides to declare a crusade for Hellas(*) and oh dear. The crusade is lost, the Latin Empire is created and I fiddle with kingdom-level titles so that when the CK2+ event fires and the Byzantine title is destroyed, I end up King of the "Roman Realm" because I couldn't think of a better title in time.

Now it's 1401, I'm converting the above game to EU3, and I have a Latin-speaking kingdom descended from the remains of the Byzantine Empire, centered in Ravenna. What do I call this kingdom? The two ideas I've been waffling between are either the Kingdom of Rhomania/Rumania/Roumania/Romania or the Kingdom of Ravenna.

e: Just went over the in-game crusades and realized that was the fourth one. :v:

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 21, 2013

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

RabidWeasel posted:

MEIOU is the mod with the insane non-contiguous provinces and is very bad, the DAO map is really good though.

:colbert: There are like, two of those. Aside from the Baltic, which is bit hosed up for historical reasons, MEIOU's map is fantastic. It may not run as fast as other mods and have a slow release cycle, but MEIOU is my favorite mod, mainly because of the map.

Though the DAO map is pretty good too.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ofaloaf posted:

Now it's 1401, I'm converting the above game to EU3, and I have a Latin-speaking kingdom descended from the remains of the Byzantine Empire, centered in Ravenna. What do I call this kingdom? The two ideas I've been waffling between are either the Kingdom of Rhomania/Rumania/Roumania/Romania or the Kingdom of Ravenna.

Bulgaria. Old Great Bulgarian Empire.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Bulgaria. Old Great Bulgarian Empire.

If I hadn't fiddled with kingdom titles just after the Crusade for Hellas ended, that's actually the kingdom title I would've used.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Puella Magissima posted:

:colbert: There are like, two of those. Aside from the Baltic, which is bit hosed up for historical reasons, MEIOU's map is fantastic. It may not run as fast as other mods and have a slow release cycle, but MEIOU is my favorite mod, mainly because of the map.

Though the DAO map is pretty good too.

The non-map related things are unbalanced/broken as poo poo, though. I tried to love it, I really did, but it hated me.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, not made by Paradox but published by them, is Ship Simulator Extremes any decent?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Puella Magissima posted:

The handful of insane provinces for historical reasons are a good example of the general design of the mod not really taking factors such as "does this add anything fun or compelling to gameplay?" into consideration. Though I'll admit I haven't played the mod for like 18 months at least so maybe it's better now.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
A current game of mine is crashing every few days after loading it. My other saves still work, so I guess it's some kind of bug in the safe file, is there something obvious I could look for in the save state to fix it ?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

The handful of insane provinces for historical reasons are a good example of the general design of the mod not really taking factors such as "does this add anything fun or compelling to gameplay?" into consideration. Though I'll admit I haven't played the mod for like 18 months at least so maybe it's better now.
Thats the mod with the tiny snakey provinces in europe right?
Can someone explain to me how provinces base tax was done in EUIII because honestly I have no clue. :psyduck:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Lawman 0 posted:

Thats the mod with the tiny snakey provinces in europe right?
Can someone explain to me how provinces base tax was done in EUIII because honestly I have no clue. :psyduck:

If memory serves, one of the provinces in Lorraine is actually three separate dots which don't actually touch each other.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can't talk about something like that without including screenshots. :colbert:

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

You can't talk about something like that without including screenshots. :colbert:

EDIT: Whoops, turns out I never un-installed it in the first place :downs:

Anyway here is Europe

Peruser fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 21, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I have it downloaded but can't get the damnable thing to run, but here's a zoomed-in bit of Europe from its provinces.bmp:

Note the four five teal blobs near the bottom there. That's all one province.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
CK1/2, EU3/Rome, Victoria 1/2 and MotE (plus every expansion for those games minus The Old Gods) are now 75% off on Steam for today as part of their Daily Deal. I'm probably going to pick up MotE, the impression I get is that it's not a massively deep game but it's definitely worth £3.74.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Crameltonian posted:

CK1/2, EU3/Rome, Victoria 1/2 and MotE (plus every expansion for those games minus The Old Gods) are now 75% off on Steam for today as part of their Daily Deal. I'm probably going to pick up MotE, the impression I get is that it's not a massively deep game but it's definitely worth £3.74.

It's a great game for that price, doubly so if you can talk some friends into playing with you.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
Is EU: Rome worth the purchase? It's at less than $3 now so it's bastard cheap, but I'm just curious as to what the goon consensus is. I heard the vanilla version isn't one of Paradox's best games but Wiz put together a mod that made it pretty good. Is this true?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Peruser posted:

Anyway here is Europe

quote:

EIRE WILL BE FREE
:haw:

Custom army names are the best.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Conservatives are more likely to vote for reforms depending on the radicalism of any ongoing movements, so suppressing reform movements is one way to get reforms passed. It sounds a little weird, but it's consistent with the whole "you have to be a tyrant if you want democracy" thing the game has going on.

That's only indirect though, isn't it? Isn't Conservative support only dependant on average militancy? I think each point of average MIL gives 10% more conservatives in favor of reforms.
Suppressing movements probably raises their militancy when they reappear, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ofaloaf posted:

I have it downloaded but can't get the damnable thing to run, but here's a zoomed-in bit of Europe from its provinces.bmp:

Note the four five teal blobs near the bottom there. That's all one province.

I've said it in multiple Paradox threads, but that 'province' makes me teeth grindingly, steam out of ears, stamp my feet mad. :mad:

• Locked thread