Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of it is just loosely going through UC events in a drunken haze anyhow! So it's appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ImpAtom posted:

The only design we have so far is Prometheus.

How does it lift the Crucifix? It's full of mercy! Also rockets.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The next Heavy Arms will be a giant missile.

That explodes into a bunch of tiny Heavy Arms.

Who are also missiles.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well if they want to get really dumb then Heavy Arms will just use Trowa as a missile. Star Driver style.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

I don't even know.. What is this abomination? The Crossbone suits are great designs so how can someone muck it up so badly?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kuroyama posted:

The only things worth remembering is that the Heavyarms is the best Gundam and the Taurus is the best grunt suit.:colbert:

The tallgeese is awesome and totally worth remembering you heathen :mad:

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 20, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Dol posted:

I don't even know.. What is this abomination? The Crossbone suits are great designs so how can someone muck it up so badly?

Dude I love crossbone but I have you SEEN the Jupiter suits? Not to mention this is from roughly the same era as beam helicopters, motorads, motorcycle battleships, and a mobile suit with wing sabers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

muike posted:

and a mobile suit with wing sabers.

You had better not be implying the V2 is dumb. :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I love the V2 but the V2 Assault Buster has a shield with a big V on it and I'm pretty sure it can shoot out a V-shaped beam.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
The tallgeese is the best mobile suit ever made and one of the best mechs ever I will brook no arguments to the contrary :colbert:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The tallgeese is the best mobile suit ever made and one of the best mechs ever I will brook no arguments to the contrary :colbert:

It's also a pretty badass Master Grade:

:allears:

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

I should have been more specific: The Crossbone Gundams themselves are some of the best Gundam designs in my opinion. This new green thing does not measure up to it's predecessors.

And while there are a lot of very strange designs in Crossbone overall I still think the Batara is one of the best enemy grunt suits in the whole franchise.

p.s. V2 is one of the best Gundams ever so no bad mouthing of it or it's other forms will be tolerated :colbert:.

*edit= Spelling is hard.*

Dol fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 20, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah the Crossbones are probably some of my favorite Gundam designs. Except for the X-3. Its I-Field generators make it cool but everything else is kinda uninteresting to me.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

The Tallgeese are not Gundams only because of the "What counts as a Gundam" rules. Besides, the Gouf is the best mobile suit. The Taurus is a close second and the best AC MS.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Kuroyama posted:

The Tallgeese are not Gundams only because of the "What counts as a Gundam" rules. Besides, the Gouf is the best mobile suit. The Taurus is a close second and the best AC MS.

The Gouf is pretty cool, but it's no zaaaaAHHHHH:shepicide:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm so glad that line isn't in the novels.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kuroyama posted:

Duh, the Tallgeese is just a Leo with a hat on.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I think my favorite thing about Tallgeese is how no-frills it was. It's just like, "Ok, Give it a dober gun, a beamsaber, a shield...Now throw on a vernier booster so fast it'll most likely kill it's pilot."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dol posted:

Man, have you never seen the original Crossbone art? It's basically a suit where it only looks good when the original manga artist isn't drawing it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I think my favorite thing about Tallgeese is how no-frills it was. It's just like, "Ok, Give it a dober gun, a beamsaber, a shield...Now throw on a vernier booster so fast it'll most likely kill it's pilot."

"COLONEL ZECHS, IM GONNA PILOT THIS MOTHERFUCKER SO HARD I DIE"

Then he piloted that motherfucker so hard he died :911:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

"COLONEL ZECHS, IM GONNA PILOT THIS MOTHERFUCKER SO HARD I DIE"

Then he piloted that motherfucker so hard he died :911:

Tallgeese is a Real American Mobile Suit and Otto a Real American Hero.

The Overflag is basically the Tallgeese of 00, so it owns as well. Being piloted by a crazy motherfucker helps, too.

:911:

chumbler fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 21, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Don't forget awesome pseudo-Roman helmet. Hell I think that and the booster are the two things that got upgraded for the Tallgeese II.

EDIT: ^Holy poo poo that's beautiful.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 21, 2013

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
God damnit, I'm going to have to buy a MG Tallgeese now.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Tomino had some stuff to say in Yomiuri Shimbun and someone on /m/ translated it.

The growth of the post-Gundam otaku anime market posted:

The representative work of the genre of youths being drawn into near-future wars fought with giant robots, Mobile Suit Gundam (1979-1980), was filled with deep and esoteric dialogue and complex relationships, and as a result was popular not with the original target group of anime, elementary schoolers, but by older people; Middle schoolers and above. As a result, it is frequently referred to as an "anime for adults", but Mr Tomino says that it is "the exact opposite. Children came first.". What was important was the message: "Things that, as adults, we have to tell children, have to have them remember."

However, Tomino's policy is "even if it's for children, there is no need to simplify things and break them down". But Gundam, with its main theme of "the horrors of war" despite being directed at children, was leaps away from the traditional robot anime story of heroes fighting villains trying to invade Earth, and with low ratings when it first aired the show planned to be 52 episodes long was cut short at 43. "I did feel like (the show being cancelled) was a loss, but at the same time it was a good thing. When writing stories, what's most important is how to compress everything in and make it thicker and deeper. Thanks to this (MSG) didn't end up as a sloppy, unsloven show."With the reruns, the show caught popularity with otaku. "Personally, I'd rather they stop losing themselves in fantasy worlds like anime and think more about the message behind the story." With Gundam and its continuous sequels, and other unrelated but analogous shows as a starting point, the otaku-centric anime market grew exponentially.

Tomino originally wanted to be a movie director, but instead joined Tezuka Osamu's Mushi Productions and became part of the anime industry. The first show he worked on was Tetsuwan Atom (63-66). After becoming a freelancer, he made many shows that would later go on to become famous, as well as several comedies, and "learned how to make drama". He was also involved in the vanguard of the otaku boom, Space Battleship Yamato (74-75). "With Gundam I wanted to make an antithesis to Yamato, where the ship itself became a character and gained popularity. But it ended up the same in the end, with the mecha becoming popular as characters."

Next year is Gundam's 35th anniversary. Tomino speaks of how in Neon Genesis Evangelion (95-96) which inherited the genealogy of otaku he "found a new opening", but of everything else he says that "it's all the same stuff made by anime lovers". "A new Gundam to serve as an antithesis to everything else Gundam up till now. I'd like to make one more show like that."

6/20 Yomiuri Shimbun

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, have you never seen the original Crossbone art? It's basically a suit where it only looks good when the original manga artist isn't drawing it.

If a design can endure that guy's art style it must be something special.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guyver posted:

Tomino had some stuff to say in Yomiuri Shimbun and someone on /m/ translated it.

Looks like ~someone~ isn't happy that his attempt to put the Gundam franchise to bed once and for all with Turn A was rejected by Sunrise's marketing department.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

I'm pissed about it and I'm just a consumer, I can't even begin to imagine how he feels about the commercial reaction to what is probably his magnum opus.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
While he might have been the creator of Gundam, Gundam is less a specific series now and more of a subgenre of war anime at this point. He already made his personal "New Gundam to serve as an antithesis to everything else Gundam up till now" - it was called Turn A Gundam and it was very good. That was his love letter/farewell to his opus, but just because Tomino is done telling stories using the Gundam framework doesn't mean other people need to be, really. Yeah, we get dogshit like SEED Destiny and AGE out of it, but we also get things like Astray and Unicorn.

I guess I kind of view his negative opinions on modern Gundam productions like if the guy who invented the JRPG got annoyed that people are still making JRPGs even though he personally is "done" with them.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've never seen anything connected with the Wingverse but I'm all for whatever crazy poo poo they do because sometimes you just wanna let your inner ten year-old fly and mine is telling me that this-

-is just totally badass.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Where do they even get cloaks that large.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They borrow them from the Five Star Stories universe.

Alternately a Black Getter spare.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pureauthor posted:

Probably the same people that Sandrock keeps getting his.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Tomino: Just one more time, I'd like to make a show that's basically shooting a giant bird at the producers and suits at Sunrise.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

So its been what about a year and a half since this G Reko thing was kind of announced. I sure would like to find out what that is for realzies sometime.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Pureauthor posted:

MuffinCloak button.

Raku posted:

Tomino: Just one more time, I'd like to make a show that's basically shooting a giant bird at the producers and suits at Sunrise.

I wouldn't, because it'll probably end up being a rather anger and angst filled like Victory. Not that Victory isn't enjoyable, it's just enjoyable despite it's problems - not because of them. I'd prefer to see something where he's just earnest in his attempts to communicate with the fans and happy enough in himself that he can just tell a good story, not try and give out to them or anyone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raku posted:

A Yuusha series already did that.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

tsob posted:

I wouldn't, because it'll probably end up being a rather anger and angst filled like Victory. Not that Victory isn't enjoyable, it's just enjoyable despite it's problems - not because of them. I'd prefer to see something where he's just earnest in his attempts to communicate with the fans and happy enough in himself that he can just tell a good story, not try and give out to them or anyone else.

Have you not seen Turn A Gundam or something

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Turn-A is pretty much what I had in mind when I wrote that, in terms of what I'd like to see him give us, not what I wouldn't. While I suppose he was screwing over Bandai merchandise wise, he didn't seem like he was in a particularly angry place or trying to give out to anyone, more that it was just the way the cards fell that people didn't like the designs rather than that he deliberately set out to find someone who'd submit designs that wouldn't sell.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

tsob posted:

Turn-A is pretty much what I had in mind when I wrote that, in terms of what I'd like to see him give us, not what I wouldn't. While I suppose he was screwing over Bandai merchandise wise, he didn't seem like he was in a particularly angry place or trying to give out to anyone, more that it was just the way the cards fell that people didn't like the designs rather than that he deliberately set out to find someone who'd submit designs that wouldn't sell.

You do realize half of the design decisions were deliberately "Haha gently caress you Sunrise" right? The whole black and effeminate male protagonist was because they wouldn't let him have a female one?

Tomino is capable of sticking them up one without going "grimdark" or whatever.

He's not trying to make an anime that nobody would like or whatever the hell; that's not what he was saying. He's saying he wants something that bucks trends and inspires people to think about things and not just be a pure self-insertion fantasy / wank or whatever. Turn A is pretty much that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

tsob posted:

While I suppose he was screwing over Bandai merchandise wise,

More like Bandai is screwing the consumers over. You have no idea how many people want a MG Turn X, Sumo, etc.

EDIT: Hell I literally have a MG Turn A on my desk right now.

• Locked thread