Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.
How on-the-ball are most banks when it comes to tracking unusual card activity? I only ask because I -never- travel. I haven't left the state in at least 4 years, maybe longer. But next week, I'm going to be heading a few states away to be in a friend's wedding, and with that comes a lot of expenses that are really beyond the norm for me. I'm just afraid my bank will freak out and lock my card and I won't be able to pay for the bachelor party all of a sudden. Should I call them and give them a heads-up or anything? I don't know how this works when they see that a guy who primarily eats at sub shops and burger joints is suddenly buying a $70 steak and pulling stacks of cash out of ATMs.

Edit: vvvv Thanks, folks below- I'll call them before I leave!

TShields fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
It varies, but it's safest just to call them up beforehand. I've had cards locked for really benign things (making an online purchase that was processed in another country, running the card as credit rather than debit for groceries) and ignored for other things (actually making large purchases while in another country) so I'm not sure exactly what criteria they use.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Yes. Just call your bank and tell them you're going to be traveling. They will place a travel alert on your card. It's a normal thing; I do it every time I go on a trip, and the people I talk to are always helpful and know exactly what to do.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

FCKGW posted:

What's the most successful film not released in theaters?

http://variety.com/2012/digital/news/direct-to-dvd-films-decline-1118050065/

quote:

Production budgets of movies conceived as video premieres by the majors have undergone commensurate declines. They peaked at $10 million to $15 million at the high end a few years ago and have dropped to the $5 million-$10 million range today. The studios have managed to maintain production values by shooting the titles in lower-cost facilities outside Hollywood — in places such as South Africa, Bulgaria and Michigan — and relying on film financing incentives offered by local governments.

Leaders in direct-to-video include Walt Disney with its animated “Tinker Bell” and live-action dog adventure “Buddies” properties, 20th Century Fox with the “Wrong Turn” franchise, and Universal with its “American Pie” and “Bring It On” video sequels.

Glenn Ross, executive VP and general manager of Universal 1440 Entertainment, the unit of Universal Studios Home Entertainment that generates lower-budget films distributed in all media, plucks properties from the Universal film library in what he calls “brand development.” Teen drama “Bring It On,” which began with the 2000 theatrical starring Kirsten Dunst, recently spawned a live stage national touring musical comedy after four direct-to-video sequels. “Very rarely are we looking at this as just making one-offs,” Ross said. “We are careful about the properties we pick and (make sure) we have the resources to market them properly.”

With its family brand, Disney takes an even a broader multimedia tack. For example its “Tinker Bell” direct-to-videos mesh with its huge-selling Disney Fairies consumer products property, which together “helped to drive a really healthy toy business,” says Lori MacPherson, exec VP of global product management at Walt Disney Studios.

Also financially healthy, per MacPherson, is Disney’s “Buddies” merchandise business, which launched in 1997 with the theatrical “Air Bud” and has since morphed into about a dozen “Air Bud” and “Air Buddies” DVD sequels, along with books and other ancillary merchandise — all populated by cuddly golden retriever puppies.

Some direct-to-DVD properties have pumped up their marketing muscle via exclusive deals with big retailers. 20th Century Fox’s “Marley & Me: The Puppy Years” was exclusive to Wal-Mart, and Samuel Goldwyn Films/ATO Pictures’ “Mao’s Last Dancer” launched only in Target stores.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

change my name posted:

If I went back in time and changed my past, then back to the future where there were now 2 of me, what would be the best course of action for my now displaced self? Try to buy a fake id, win big money off the stock market and move to the west coast? I can't imagine creating a new identity, especially when you have a fully documented identical double, would be easy.

Even though lifehacker gets on my nerves sometimes, I thought this article on disappearing was an interesting food-for-thought kind of read.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Why is the longest day of the year considered the start of summer? Wouldn't it be the middle of summer if it's the peak length?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Probably because the Earth is somewhat large (as you may have noticed) and it takes a long time to change temperature. So by the time you get to the summer solstice, temperatures are just starting to reach their highest points. If we define "summer" as "the time when it's hot", it just makes more sense to have it as June-August rather than May-July.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Does anybody know who the creator of the HALT HAMMERZEIT image is, or from where it came originally?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

returnh posted:

Why is the longest day of the year considered the start of summer? Wouldn't it be the middle of summer if it's the peak length?

It's just a convenient placeholder for regular people. The 'official' seasons differ depending on who's defining it...there's meteorologic seasons, astronomic seasons, temperate and tropical seasons, and so on...Wikipedia had some interesting info:

[from 'Summer']

"From an astronomical view, the equinoxes and solstices would be the middle of the respective seasons,[1][2] but a variable seasonal lag means that the meteorological start of the season, which is based on average temperature patterns, occurs several weeks later than the start of the astronomical season.[3] According to meteorologists,[4][5] summer extends for the whole months of June, July, and August in the northern hemisphere and the whole months of December, January, and February in the southern hemisphere. Under meteorological definitions, all seasons are arbitrarily set to start at the beginning of a calendar month and end at the end of a month.[4] This meteorological definition of summer also aligns with the commonly viewed notion of summer as the season with the longest (and warmest) days of the year, in which daylight predominates. The meteorological reckoning of seasons is used in Austria, Denmark and the former Soviet Union; it is also used by many in the United Kingdom, where summer is thought of as extending from mid-May to mid-August. In Ireland, the summer months according to the national meteorological service, Met Éireann, are June, July and August. However, according to the Irish Calendar summer begins 1 May and ends 1 August. School textbooks in Ireland follow the cultural norm of summer commencing on 1 May rather than the meteorological definition of 1 June.The Western definition based on solstice to equinox is more frequently used where a temperature lag of up to half a season is common.[6]

and

In North America, summer is often the period from the summer solstice (usually June 20 or 21 in the Northern Hemisphere) to the autumn equinox.[7][8][9][10] The summer season in the United States is commonly regarded as beginning on Memorial Day weekend (the last weekend in May) and ending on Labor Day weekend (the first weekend in September), more closely in line with the meteorological definition; the similar Canadian tradition starts summer on Victoria Day one week prior (although summer conditions vary widely across Canada's expansive territory) and ends, as in the United States, on Labour Day."

Sweet.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
Oh, cool. That explains why I've always been confused about when the seasons actually are. Thanks.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Why is the displacement for smaller engines measured in cubic centimeters but measured in liters for larger engines?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Brother Jonathan posted:

Why is the displacement for smaller engines measured in cubic centimeters but measured in liters for larger engines?

There are 1000 cubic centimeters in a liter; a cubic centimeter is the same as a milliliter. It's done to avoid displaying very small fractional numbers (for small engines) or very large numbers (for big engines).

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

mlnhd posted:

There are 1000 cubic centimeters in a liter; a cubic centimeter is the same as a milliliter. It's done to avoid displaying very small fractional numbers (for small engines) or very large numbers (for big engines).

They could just use the metric suffixes, though. Instead of a motorcycle with a "500 cc" engine, you could just say a "500 ml" engine.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I've heard from time to time about people who were mistaken for dead, whether because they had disappeared or just through some clerical error, and the struggle they later have to go through to fix that when they turn up or realize the government or their insurance company thinks they're dead. Does anyone know of specific cases of this?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Brother Jonathan posted:

They could just use the metric suffixes, though. Instead of a motorcycle with a "500 cc" engine, you could just say a "500 ml" engine.

It's probably just the convention for the field. In the US, c.c. is also used for medical prescriptions, but there's a push to switch to mL because CC can look like 00 in terrible doctor handwriting, which can result in an overdose.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

I've heard from time to time about people who were mistaken for dead, whether because they had disappeared or just through some clerical error, and the struggle they later have to go through to fix that when they turn up or realize the government or their insurance company thinks they're dead. Does anyone know of specific cases of this?

I'm not sure of specific cases in the U.S., but in India it's apparently a real concern--people will be declared dead by bribing officials, and then their land stolen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22685924
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2054133,00.html

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
How much carbon monoxide would 950 ml of formic acid and 950 ml of sulfuric acid produce all at once?

What about a gallon of both?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Assuming 100% concentration on both you have:
100% * 950ml * 1.22g/ml = 1159g / 46.03g/mol = 25.18 mol of HCOOH
100% * 950ml * 1.84g/ml = 1748g / 98.08g/mol = 17.82 mol of H2SO4

Their reaction is, 1 + 1 -> 1 + 1
H2SO4(l) + HCOOH(l) -> CO(g) + H2SO4:H2O(l)

So you would end up with:
7.35 mol HCOOH
0 mol H2SO4
17.82 mol CO
17.82 mol H2SO4:H2O

The H2SO4:H2O and remaining HCOOH remain a liquid, the CO becomes a gas.
Under STP 17.82 mol of CO becomes:
V=17.82mol * .08206 * 298K
V=435 liters

A gallon each (4x as much) would make 4x as much gas. Either way, its a ton of CO which can quickly suffocate someone in a close space, and the reason this reaction is a dangerous one. It's also likely that you do not have pure concentrations of either acid, but starting from the beginning you can carry that change forward.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How important is the brand of contact lens solution? I always get the hard sell when I get new contacts but their bottles are 3x as much as the bargain stuff I buy. I've never had problems with my lenses and I've been using the cheap stuff for years, is there some sort of magical paradise land that I'm missing out on?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Xenoborg posted:

A gallon each (4x as much) would make 4x as much gas. Either way, its a ton of CO which can quickly suffocate someone in a close space, and the reason this reaction is a dangerous one. It's also likely that you do not have pure concentrations of either acid, but starting from the beginning you can carry that change forward.
Thanks for the murder tip!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

Assuming 100% concentration on both you have:
100% * 950ml * 1.22g/ml = 1159g / 46.03g/mol = 25.18 mol of HCOOH
100% * 950ml * 1.84g/ml = 1748g / 98.08g/mol = 17.82 mol of H2SO4

Their reaction is, 1 + 1 -> 1 + 1
H2SO4(l) + HCOOH(l) -> CO(g) + H2SO4:H2O(l)

So you would end up with:
7.35 mol HCOOH
0 mol H2SO4
17.82 mol CO
17.82 mol H2SO4:H2O

The H2SO4:H2O and remaining HCOOH remain a liquid, the CO becomes a gas.
Under STP 17.82 mol of CO becomes:
V=17.82mol * .08206 * 298K
V=435 liters

Thank you

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Thanks for the murder tip!

Not murder, pal.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

Not murder, pal.

Suicide?

I'm just curious what else someone would need 435 liters of carbon monoxide for except as a solution to a homework problem.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

I'm researching for a story.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

I'm researching for a story.

An absolute classic murderer alibi.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Twitter is giving me a problem that I've never ran into until recently:

Whenever my search includes Spanish name like Juan or Pablo, it will give me search results in the English versions of those names (John, Paul). But if I search for someone famous with a Spanish name, like SF Giant Pablo Sandoval, it will give me the correct search results and not "Paul + Sandoval"

This is only happening on Chrome and as I said, it only started happening recently. When I use the Twitter iPhone app, it's fine.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
So I am about to depart my job, and I am privy to a bunch of tricks/resources that no one else knows. Since I like these people, and would like to facilitate future employment with them, I want to leave a little gift. I envision a program that runs and you input a question, and it pulls up keywords and spews out info. This way I can leave websites and hints and what-not.
Like help file, I suppose. I have no real programming knowledge beyond Basic, but I'm pretty good at jerry rigging things if I have a basic understanding. I was going to make an Access db, but I haven't used it in like 12 years.

Ideas?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I am about to depart my job, and I am privy to a bunch of tricks/resources that no one else knows. Since I like these people, and would like to facilitate future employment with them, I want to leave a little gift. I envision a program that runs and you input a question, and it pulls up keywords and spews out info. This way I can leave websites and hints and what-not.
Like help file, I suppose. I have no real programming knowledge beyond Basic, but I'm pretty good at jerry rigging things if I have a basic understanding. I was going to make an Access db, but I haven't used it in like 12 years.

Ideas?

A well-written .doc file. They can just ctrl-f for keywords. They can print it out. Etc.

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011

tarepanda posted:

A well-written .doc file. They can just ctrl-f for keywords. They can print it out. Etc.

True, but I'm trying to look fancy. Something like that would make me look like a sorceror.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Doctor_Acula posted:

True, but I'm trying to look fancy. Something like that would make me look like a sorceror.

Make a wiki.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Doctor_Acula posted:

Ideas?

An Arduino-connected Gameboy Camera Printer that spits out tips every time a user tweets @TidDataBitBase

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Doctor_Acula posted:

It's more likely you'll end up as tech support for your fancy program when they end up relying on it as a reference and something doesn't work right.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

You might be better off writing a document and giving it lots of personal touches, put more of your voice and character in it than a normal help doc.

They will think it's really sweet that you're writing a help doc whether or not it's sorcery

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Yeah but the thing is they think he is an actual sorcerer. If his legacy doesn't live up to that ideal then his rehire chances go right out the window.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

greazeball posted:

How important is the brand of contact lens solution? I always get the hard sell when I get new contacts but their bottles are 3x as much as the bargain stuff I buy. I've never had problems with my lenses and I've been using the cheap stuff for years, is there some sort of magical paradise land that I'm missing out on?

Maybe there are people who can tell the difference, but I'm not one of them. Over the last 25 years I've used all kinds of brands, including dollar store long-expired solution, and it's never made a difference.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I might be dreaming this up, but I recall a website where you can upload a piece of music and it will tell you where its from or songs that sound similar to it. Is this a real thing? Something like tineye but for melodies.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 22, 2013

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Is there a camera/photography megathread somewhere on SA? I checked Inspect Your Gadgets and Creative Convention but couldn't find anything. I tried looking through all the thread titles, and did two separate searches for "photo" and "camera" but neither worked.

Just in case someone reading this is camera savvy all I am just trying to find out is what this "up" icon on my camera means:

No mention of it in the manual, Google searches didn't help, and no amount of changing white balance/ISO/aperture/shutter speed has an affect on it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Dorkroom.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3184774

I have no clue about the icon though.

Optimus Prime Ribs
Jul 25, 2007

Well that explains why I didn't find it; had no clue that forum even existed. Thanks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Optimus Prime Ribs posted:

Is there a camera/photography megathread somewhere on SA? I checked Inspect Your Gadgets and Creative Convention but couldn't find anything. I tried looking through all the thread titles, and did two separate searches for "photo" and "camera" but neither worked.

Just in case someone reading this is camera savvy all I am just trying to find out is what this "up" icon on my camera means:

No mention of it in the manual, Google searches didn't help, and no amount of changing white balance/ISO/aperture/shutter speed has an affect on it.

It's "monitor sunlight" mode.
http://faq.fujifilm.com/digitalcamera/faq_detail.html?id=110201116&category=1242