Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I had initially thought that the Montreal one could be STL given the jewel box but the legeater so strongly suggests Montreal that I dropped it. If we could find the legeater in STL...

Has anyone gone and looked closely at the "Legeater" statue? If it is truly a cast piece that was replicated many times, it probably has a name that isn't Legeater. Maybe if we could find some identifying marks on the statue and go from there? Maybe it will lead us to the artist/manufacturer who can then tell us where others were sold and placed. Or, if there are no markings, maybe it really is a one-of-a-kind piece.

Do we know if it's even the only one in Montreal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

Urban Smurf posted:

I just finished editing my post on page 60 for SF. I think I just spotted a match to the woman's crossed arms.

Could you maybe draw an outline on the trees where this crossed arm match is? I honestly see no correlation at all to any of the shapes in the hands and I'm not sure if it's because I'm blind or you are.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho

:iiam:

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*

einTier posted:

Has anyone gone and looked closely at the "Legeater" statue? If it is truly a cast piece that was replicated many times, it probably has a name that isn't Legeater. Maybe if we could find some identifying marks on the statue and go from there? Maybe it will lead us to the artist/manufacturer who can then tell us where others were sold and placed. Or, if there are no markings, maybe it really is a one-of-a-kind piece.

This was my thought as well. If the "legeater" had been some stone sculpture, I would have bought the idea that it was specific to Montreal. But this is just a lamp. It's something that looks unique, but also looks like a generically Art Nouveau (or whatever, I dropped Art History 101) lamppost.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

According the origins map, the Alven came from the Lowlands, and in the Litany of the Jewels (where they're described as gnomes, not dwarves) their treasure stone was an opal. Opal is the birthstone for October, which I think is the picture we're using for Montreal. Has this been addressed by the Q4T folks

The introduction wasn't discussed at Q4T. It was verboten.

einTier posted:

Has anyone gone and looked closely at the "Legeater" statue? If it is truly a cast piece that was replicated many times, it probably has a name that isn't Legeater. Maybe if we could find some identifying marks on the statue and go from there? Maybe it will lead us to the artist/manufacturer who can then tell us where others were sold and placed.

Good luck. People have tried, none has succeeded.

BJG fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 21, 2013

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

einTier posted:

Here is what they have found out at Q4T:

The lamp was discovered by a user passing by in Aug 2006.
William Tutin Thomas built the house.
The lamps have no markings on them, they were closely looked at by one of the users.
The lamp is so old that they actually had to be converted from gas to electric at one point.
An old employee and administrator that was questioned believed they were made for the house.
No others have been found.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xie posted:

But really, Boston is suspect (though less so than I said 3 weeks ago!), NY seems solid but besides the gargoyle lacks image clues, etc.
There's nothing solid, but nobody seems to have found any better matches so far. It's natural to assume there's something there just because it's New York City, and I'm not sure whether I should assume that's the case or go against the trend. I kind of wish that the OP hadn't included the existing theories to avoid biasing us toward them, but the boat has sailed on that one.

For what it's worth, the other part of the book has a picture of lower Manhatan taken from the shore in Jersey city and one of the NYC supreme court.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Does anyone have the slightest idea what the hell this might be?[/b]

I rotated it 90° counterclockwise and it reminds me of a hood ornament from the art deco/streamline moderne era. I have to run to make my train, but I'll see if I can find a match when I'm at home.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005

That looks like cave interior. Any chance the treasure is in Sacramento or Fresno?

Edit: Actually, Pigeon Point Sea Cave (located south of Pescadero off Highway 1) makes the lat/lon bounding box from the pbworks site. The Point Reyes caves might barely make it on the north side of the bounding box, but it's doubtful.

Is there any kind of grotto in Golden Gate park?

Edit 2: Alternatively, this might just be a reference to Fisherman's Grotto / Wharf.

Nesetril fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 21, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ive posted angles of the legeater multiple times in the thread. Go look for my batch pics for montreal, its in there...

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

rookhunter posted:

The lamps have no markings on them, they were closely looked at by one of the users.
The lamp is so old that they actually had to be converted from gas to electric at one point.
An old employee and administrator that was questioned believed they were made for the house.

If they were specifically cast for the house then they must have some significance/meaning to the house. I find it hard to believe that William Thomas would tell someone "ok, so I want a cat/dog/lion thing to have a horse's leg coming out of it's mouth"....why? "because it's cool".

The house was built so long ago that the only way to find out what they could've possibly represented would be to find Thomas' relatives and see if any story was handed down through the family. (no, I'm not suggesting we bother his family, just saying).

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

rookhunter posted:

Has anyone tried contacting the local Historical Society to see if they have any other info?

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

xie posted:

I think some people on Q4T feel that one could be Vancouver, but I forget which. Possibly Charleston/SF? I haven't waded through absolutely everything so far.

The issue once again is that Preiss confirmed a St. Louis connection. Either something else is going to be in a St. Louis park, a park named St. Louis, etc. You can interpret his e-mails to kingdom come, I don't want to get too far down that rabbit hole. I just think it's really dumb to ignore possibilities because of what we think we know.

It is pretty plain to see that Preiss was a snarky bastard who loved puzzles. His mention of St. Louis could have just been referencing St. Louis Cathedral in NOLA. I'm not sure putting a ton of stock in anything he hinted about is a great idea, even the "there is something in Canada" remark. After no one finding these for years after him writing the book I'm sure he was getting more and more confident about his "brilliance", in that he created something so unique and difficult that no one could crack them.

I have no issue with dismissing anything being anywhere either. I believe it was in Q4T where someone was using Cask 9 based upon "purina" looking checkers for STL. I don't see that theory as conclusive as the legeater in the picture for Montreal. If it was Urban Smurf's idea then I'm a bit less inclined to think it's really in St. Louis. Purina vs. legeater, I think legeater wins.

At this point we're so far away from knowing that I think we should still keep an open mind about the possibility that they are not where we think they are.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Prof. Numbers posted:

This was my thought as well. If the "legeater" had been some stone sculpture, I would have bought the idea that it was specific to Montreal. But this is just a lamp. It's something that looks unique, but also looks like a generically Art Nouveau (or whatever, I dropped Art History 101) lamppost.
Wow. From the other photos, I thought the legeater itself was larger -- like person sized large.

I can see how it got missed for so long. It does seem rather unique though and does match the image almost exactly. If it's the correct one, I would think it would have to be near where the cask is buried. The small clues like that don't seem to be general markers. If the cask can't be located somewhere close to that, I would say that we've got the wrong city/painting pairing.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Yeah, I thought the legeater was part of some monument instead of just a regular lamp. It's gotta be a very specific clue, and I'm sure that the cask has to be very close by.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Milwaukee

The Plankinton building of the Grand Avenue does indeed have 23 stairs on each of the 4 sets, making it 92 stairs total.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

The Monkey Man posted:

Yeah, I thought the legeater was part of some monument instead of just a regular lamp. It's gotta be a very specific clue, and I'm sure that the cask has to be very close by.

In past solves, anything that small that appears that large in the painting is a marker either saying "you are at the starting point for the verse" or "you are right here, dig soon". If you believe that the supposed Montreal painting belongs to another city, I would suggest looking for similar legeaters near where you think the treasure might be buried.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

Mnemosyne posted:

Has anyone tried contacting the local Historical Society to see if they have any other info?

There was quite a bit of research done. They contacted the club, the Mcgill Library and Mccord Museum as well as various vendors/brass producers. I did not see a reference to a historical society but i briefly reviewed the 90+ pages that are just for the image.
Perhaps a fresh look from a Montreal resident might reveal something new.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I'd make a post in the Montreal thread in Your City Sucks asking for scouting help, but I think that someone else could probably do a better job of summarizing the situation than I could.

Also, here's what lemontiger thinks about Montreal:

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/montrealhunt.pdf

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Cask 9 Verse 10

Why does the legeater drawing break the square? Seems like an odd thing to do. This large metal sculpture in Vancouver looks into Stanley Park where miniature train engine No.374 can be found. The No.374 was the first train to journey all the way across Canada on the first transcontinental railroad credited to Lord Mount Stephen whom owned the legeater lamp in Montreal.

The Gateway to the Northwest Passage:

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 21, 2013

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Welp you made good use of your crazy theory today. :monocle:

E: Sorry to pick, I do enjoy reading these and ya neva know...

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

GWBBQ posted:

I rotated it 90° counterclockwise and it reminds me of a hood ornament from the art deco/streamline moderne era. I have to run to make my train, but I'll see if I can find a match when I'm at home.

Looks like a genies lamp.

if I knew it was actually a clue and I were to guess though, I would say it is an outline of a lake/river.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Milwaukee

The Plankinton building of the Grand Avenue does indeed have 23 stairs on each of the 4 sets, making it 92 stairs total.

Which really makes me think this whole phrase,

Cast in copper
Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

refers to that area(cast a penny in the fountain in the center of the 92 step staircase at 200 Grand Avenue). Does that make sense to anyone else?

Prof. Numbers
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a genius! *ow*
Image 9: Montreal

What is the community consensus on the number 12? Clearly not a coordinate nor birth month.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Sham I Am posted:

Looks like a genies lamp.

if I knew it was actually a clue and I were to guess though, I would say it is an outline of a lake/river.

Reminds me of Lake Huron but far from a perfect match.

What say we contact the illustrator and offer him 100 dollars a picture to tell us everything he remembers?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Sten Freak posted:

Welp you made good use of your crazy theory today. :monocle:

E: Sorry to pick, I do enjoy reading these and ya neva know...

"The mistake is thinking that there can be an antidote to the uncertainty." -D. Levithan

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.
Houston

I'm still working around my alternate theory that the cask was buried downtown, not in Hermann Park. Mainly because I think HP has been worked over so completely despite not finding many concrete clues that the treasure is there.

The City of Houston has a wonderful website on all the outdoor art you'll find around town, and I happend to find this there.

It's called Sounds of the Past, and it doesn't look like much, and I can't figure out when it was installed. However, it has a very unique feature: As you approach the overlook pictured to the left, a recording of a steam horn is blasted over a loud speaker.

I was wondering if this was the "whistle sounds" referred to in the verse.

[edit]
Never mind. Dean Ruck, the artist who built this, has only been working in Houston since 1987 -- and he would have been just 20 if it was installed in 1982.

Oh well. Still the CoH public spaces art website is pretty good for tracking down elements that might be found in the picture or referred to in the verse, as is this Houston Architecture website.

[edit][edit]
I did find this that's located in Tranquility Park....

Perspective should not be lost
In the center of four alike

There's four alike (the bronze disks), and are we getting close on having those poles line up with the poles in the background of the Houston picture?

einTier fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 21, 2013

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Houston

Currently in Houston scouting a location proposed by rookhunter. Got a few pics that I may post later (that don't give away the location).

Next step will more than likely be to call a GPR guy and get a price quote.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
Milwaukee

TipsyMc posted:

Which really makes me think this whole phrase,

Cast in copper
Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200

refers to that area(cast a penny in the fountain in the center of the 92 step staircase at 200 Grand Avenue). Does that make sense to anyone else?

Makes as much sense as any other theory thus far. But where do we go from there?

The Wisconsin Avenue bridge, just down the street from the mall, angles southeast. There's a red ball on the top of the bridge's watchtower. Also, there's a 4 sided clock on south sidewalk just before the bridge. Maybe that's the compass?

After the bridge, on the north side of the street, are three trees. Birches? I can't really tell. And who knows if they were there decades ago... seems like they'd be bigger by now?

Looking across the street after passing the third tree, you'll see a (sort of) 5 story building. There's some kind of scroll (possibly with writing?)at the top of the 5th floor. Maybe this is our letter from the country?

There are some planters on the southern side of that building, that *I guess* something could be buried in? No idea how old they are. Don't see any other big patches of grass around there.

The red ball is probably the most interesting bit, ESPECIALLY if that thing raises/lowers/lights up as part of a signal to oncoming boats. I'm not super confident in anything I have beyond that, though. I'd sure like to know if there's a German inscription on that 5th floor scroll. Don't have a good view of it from google maps, but there is definitely some kind of writing on it.

EDIT: Well, that's a dead end. It says "IRON BLOCK home of Capitol Bankers Life". Or, at least that's what it used to say. The building was recently restored and now just says "Iron Block". I imagine this means the planters on the south side of the building aren't very old either. Oh well. Also, those three trees wouldn't have been in front of the Wells Fargo building. That building was redone in 1989, so whatever may have been there in 1980 is long gone.

Captain Morose fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 22, 2013

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Firstly, I love this thread, it's defiantly been great to look through all the tinfoil, crazy theories and be completely in love with the hunt, for every minute of it, at the same time.

I've been following the Cask 9, and only recently interested in Cask 2.

I bring this up because I've not felt that there's been any solid theory that 9 is in st.louis or montreal, aside from the very convincing legeater. However, the legeater lamppost outside the club house seemingly could be a mass production lamp of the time so it could be quite easily be present elsewhere with a similar French background (I'm willing to make this step), but on the other hand, there is the explicit mentioning of at least one of the casks being located in Canada.

The reason I am still stuck betwixt the two locations is that I found the head shape of the fellow to cask 9, shares an eerily similar disposition to the general shape of st.louis albeit at a 90 degree angle. In fact the island that sits in river lines up with the blank pocket in the swirl of his hair. (if the hairline is thought of as the river flow itself. In this case, I attach the wrinkles, and folds of his crows feet, and skin of his mouth to coincide with the main road shapes.

I use the general map atlas in g-maps, not the satellite version, since it's closer to what is represented in the maps of the time. There can be some large difference between the satellite and map images, in terms of how forests, roads and bodies of water are draw, so I flick in between sometimes just to make sure I'm not imagining things, with weight strongly applied to the plain map.

So, to re-submit, does anyone thing that the Cask-9 fellows face line up with the general shape of st.louis at 90 degrees or is it just me? :)

Guuse
May 11, 2009

rookhunter posted:

There was quite a bit of research done. They contacted the club, the Mcgill Library and Mccord Museum as well as various vendors/brass producers. I did not see a reference to a historical society but i briefly reviewed the 90+ pages that are just for the image.
Perhaps a fresh look from a Montreal resident might reveal something new.

Back when I was researching it, I came across these guys who did restoration work on some of the iron railings outside the club. If someone wanted to contact them, maybe they'd have some insight on the lamp posts and could maybe point to similar features around Montreal. Also, someone should probably tell them that their website is horrifying.

einTier posted:

Wow. From the other photos, I thought the legeater itself was larger -- like person sized large.

I can see how it got missed for so long. It does seem rather unique though and does match the image almost exactly. If it's the correct one, I would think it would have to be near where the cask is buried. The small clues like that don't seem to be general markers. If the cask can't be located somewhere close to that, I would say that we've got the wrong city/painting pairing.

If people buy into the theory that rookhunter posted earlier about it being in the parking lot behind the club, then they should getting hopping on following up on it since it may be getting developed soon.

PunkNickel posted:

If they were specifically cast for the house then they must have some significance/meaning to the house. I find it hard to believe that William Thomas would tell someone "ok, so I want a cat/dog/lion thing to have a horse's leg coming out of it's mouth"....why? "because it's cool".

From what I read it really was just a style thing. Whether it was a lion paw or deer hoof or whatever was just because that's what happened to be in fashion at the time.

rookhunter
Jun 14, 2013

What say we contact the illustrator and offer him 100 dollars a picture to tell us everything he remembers?

I second this.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Fishbus posted:

So, to re-submit, does anyone thing that the Cask-9 fellows face line up with the general shape of st.louis at 90 degrees or is it just me? :)

There is a lot about it that screams St. Louis to me - the legeater is the only thing that doesn't. The Jewel Box. The St. Louis Blues. The Dred Scott Courthouse. I suspect it would be in Forest Park and would match verse 2.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

rookhunter posted:

I second this.

Anyone know how to get in touch? I would front 100 dollar for the "Boston" picture.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Palencar still considers himself under contract and won't talk about any unfound casks, so bribing him is out.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

We have pretty well confirmed that there was not, in fact, a water spout in McGovern Lake in 1982 (I think somebody said it was added in the early 2000s or something).

A new water spout was put there in the early 2000s. Here's proof that there was a fountain at least as far back as 1991:

via:The 1991 University of Houston Yearbook

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Monkey Man posted:

Palencar still considers himself under contract and won't talk about any unfound casks, so bribing him is out.

Author is dead, company is defunct...when was the last time he was contacted?

In any event, I was looking for street lights in Saint Louis and found this interesting book. On page 39 it pictures a fifth avenue, NYC street light with something similar at the base that I can't work out.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OS0ZAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Author is dead, company is defunct...when was the last time he was contacted?

In any event, I was looking for street lights in Saint Louis and found this interesting book. On page 39 it pictures a fifth avenue, NYC street light with something similar at the base that I can't work out.

http://books.google.com/books?id=OS0ZAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

And actually back in that article that Rookhunter posted it was mentioned that there was a plan in place for someone else to get the solutions from the bank vault if Preiss died and take over managing things. Since that obviously never happened, maybe pointing that out to the artist would make him a little more willing to loosen his tongue. He won't actually know the location of the casks, but in lieu of having someone to mail a photo of where we think the cask is, maybe he'd be willing to answer yes/no if asked "do these photos line up with the items that Preiss specifically told you to include in the pictures."

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Anyone know how to get in touch? I would front 100 dollar for the "Boston" picture.

Make sure you sign your correspondence "Dr. Invicta Hog, MD." Artists often lack good health insurance so maybe he'll want to barter.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Fistgrrl posted:

Make sure you sign your correspondence "Dr. Invicta Hog, MD." Artists often lack good health insurance so maybe he'll want to barter.

Like I would ever not sign my correspondence that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
The square at the top of the boston picture looks like a right angle sign. so like on a test if two lines intersect at a right angle there will be a little square near the vertex. This is strange since it's inside a circle. I don't know what it means though. Something math-y?