Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Gladstone posted:

Blue Ivy Carter and North West

WTT 2 in 2030

Watch the Crib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Someone was asking me and I didn't know: if you buy the album directly off kanyewest.com what format are the files in?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

He named his loving daughter North West.

Kanye, you magnificent bastard :bravo:

Also, yeah, driving to this album amplifies the aggressive, scary nature of this thing. I had it on in the car earlier and it was shaking the gently caress out of my car and I didn't have the volume all the way up. It even made me like Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip, the 2 tracks I wasn't really sold on.

Drake Bate
Nov 2, 2011
Oh no, that poor rich girl with the world-wide superstar mom and dad is going to have such a hard life because she's called North West.

I'm sure she'll be fine.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

e: also every bad kanye line is excused by mayonnaise colored benz i push miracle whips

That's just another exhibit A-Z in horrible kanye lyrics. It's really a testament to his ridiculously good production and the listening public's forgiving view of his cheesy sense of humor and lame It's Hard Being Rich and Famous in Nightclubs misogyny that he can be such a bad rapper and lyricist but still be a really good artist.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah I've decided I'm really not feeling Yeezus at all. It's nice to theorize that all this is a meaningful product of Kanye's manic insecurity, but I think MBDTF tread this "I'm a loving legend but secretly I'm so hosed up and I don't know how to deal with women" ground with a lot more nuance (Blame Game) and showmanship whereas this album just feels like a sloppy kick in the ribs, badly planned, provocative, and mean-spirited without the consistent rage to back it up. Yeah, it's genuinely disquieting, and the menace in this album seems pretty consistent with what's been going on with his life and genuinely makes me worry for the guy, but it sounds like garbage cooked up by too many hands, rushed, and really uneven. I've listened to the album a dozen times and I still can't remember what Guilt Trip and Send It Up sound like. People really like the second half of this album?

Man, I love Kanye, but he wasn't able to carry this sort of production. Complete disconnect. Pretty disappointed. Maybe all this will eventually click with me but right now this just feels super hacky.

That isn't to say there aren't some great tracks. Black Skinhead and I Am a God are brutal, I feel like he really had something there, the seeds for the Yeezus that should have been. Bound 2 is an easy 10/10. I wonder what Bound 1 sounded like before Rubin gutted it.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Man, I love Kanye, but he wasn't able to carry this sort of production. Complete disconnect. Pretty disappointed. Maybe all this will eventually click with me but right now this just feels super hacky.

That isn't to say there aren't some great tracks. Black Skinhead and I Am a God are brutal, I feel like he really had something there, the seeds for the Yeezus that should have been. Bound 2 is an easy 10/10. I wonder what Bound 1 sounded like before Rubin gutted it.

The album felt like it was written in an afternoon, which it probably was. If this album had a bunch of features to drown out some of the shittier verses I really do think it'd be better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I've listened to the album a dozen times and I still can't remember what Guilt Trip and Send It Up sound like.

I had this problem! Send It Up made its way into my brain and now I think it's awesome. No such luck for Guilt Trip which is so far below the rest of the album for me that it's startling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Really disappointed we never got the rumoured Burial collab :( Are the bonus tracks out yet?

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yeah I've decided I'm really not feeling Yeezus at all. It's nice to theorize that all this is a meaningful product of Kanye's manic insecurity, but I think MBDTF tread this "I'm a loving legend but secretly I'm so hosed up and I don't know how to deal with women" ground with a lot more nuance (Blame Game) and showmanship whereas this album just feels like a sloppy kick in the ribs, badly planned, provocative, and mean-spirited without the consistent rage to back it up. Yeah, it's genuinely disquieting, and the menace in this album seems pretty consistent with what's been going on with his life and genuinely makes me worry for the guy, but it sounds like garbage cooked up by too many hands, rushed, and really uneven. I've listened to the album a dozen times and I still can't remember what Guilt Trip and Send It Up sound like. People really like the second half of this album?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Prefuse posted:

lol everybody look at this loving post

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

sick "ownage" bro. im sure everyone appreciates ur opnion and ur pedo homestuck avatar. please tell us again how "br00tal" blackskin head and im a god are o white homestuck fan

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

i love listenign to hiphop while watching mlp and reading homestuck haha u could say im "bound 2" it lol -

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yo I'm sure that breezy style of white noise posting has propelled you to bonafide superstardom in PHIZ but out here it just seems you're trying doubly hard not to care. Get post-racial already.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Deluxe probably ain't a thing, FWIW..

BestBuy posted:

We’re only aware of 10 tracks on Kanye West’s album, Yeezus. We originally advertised 14 tracks on the album by mistake. We apologize for any confusion.

But then Jonathan Streets (I don't know who that is), some dude that people are taking seriously [I'm out of touch I guess] tweeted that Deluxe is out 6/24 with 4 tracks, again 'supposedly'.

In addition, JukeboxDC.com says that the four additional tracks are as follows:

1. Teck
2. A Tour (Ft. Drake)
3. Awesome
4. Untilted (Ft. Jay Z)

Doubt it.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 21, 2013

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Yo I'm sure that breezy style of white noise posting has propelled you to bonafide superstardom in PHIZ but out here it just seems you're trying doubly hard not to care. Get post-racial already.
congrats on the worst post in an already very bad topic. im glad even fat white homestuck fans that post in games can appreciate the mastepiece that is kanye wests 7th album "yeezus". *listens to black skinhead while playing marvle heroes* drat its like kanyes talkin about me...so brutal

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I wonder what Bound 1 sounded like before Rubin gutted it.

Is this a joke?

Prefuse posted:

congrats on the worst post in an already very bad topic. im glad even fat white homestuck fans that post in games can appreciate the mastepiece that is kanye wests 7th album "yeezus". *listens to black skinhead while playing marvle heroes* drat its like kanyes talkin about me...so brutal

Behold, a lovely post.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 21, 2013

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Prefuse posted:

You could at least have picked someone who wasn't posting fairly and being clear and reasonable about their opinions, y'know

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Professor Funk posted:

Is this a joke?

Pretty sure it was confirmed somewhere earlier in the thread that Rubin ripped all of the R&B out of that song after Kanye brought him in and it ended up sounding totally different on the album.

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Bown posted:

You could at least have picked someone who wasn't posting fairly and being clear and reasonable about their opinions, y'know
actually the post was dumb but mainly the homestuck avatar and referring to something as "brutal" set off my nerd alarms. alright im done making GBS threads up the yeezus topic see ya *farts out*

Budget Prefuse fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 21, 2013

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Pretty sure it was confirmed somewhere earlier in the thread that Rubin ripped all of the R&B out of that song after Kanye brought him in and it ended up sounding totally different on the album.

Bound 2 fall in love

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Me in Reverse posted:

Deluxe probably ain't a thing, FWIW..

But then Jonathan Streets (I don't know who that is), some dude that people are taking seriously [I'm out of touch I guess] tweeted that Deluxe is out 6/24 with 4 tracks, again 'supposedly'.

In addition, JukeboxDC.com says that the four additional tracks are as follows:

1. Teck
2. A Tour (Ft. Drake)
3. Awesome
4. Untilted (Ft. Jay Z)

Doubt it.

Do deluxe editions ever come out a week after the retail standard edition? I've never heard of that before, so yeah, I'd doubt that's credible too.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Professor Funk posted:

Bound 2 fall in love

I think that's just a coincidence.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Rubin said that:

quote:

"He wanted the music to take a stripped-down minimal direction. He was always examining what we could take out instead of put in," Rubin detailed. "A good example would be the song that became 'Bound.' When he first played it for me, it was a more middle-of-the-road R&B song, done in an adult contemporary style. Kanye had the idea of combining that track with a cool sample he had found and liked — I removed all of the R&B elements leaving only a single note baseline in the hook which we processed to have a punk edge in the Suicide tradition."
Reading that as "before Rubin gutted it" is a little weird though, like you realize that this is what Kanye wanted, right?

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Get post-racial already.
Embracing this stuff seriously does you no favors. (see also: your avatar)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hey guys, all this mention of race in rap is making me uncomfortable can you please stop? It's inappropriate to talk about race in rap music (unless we're talking about how those mean ol' darkies keep oppressing white people, or why niggas need to just quit getting so uptight about white people saying nigga, it's just a word you know?).

edit-nigga

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

setafd posted:

I think that's just a coincidence.

Uhhhh

Also, didn't Rubin strip down basically EVERYTHING on the album? Like wasn't that why Kanye had Rubin Executive Produce in the first place?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Yeah he wanted Rubin to help clean out a lot of the stuff from the album. I think the "minimalism" of this album is a bit overblown, but it's definitely a change from his last album. 808's was actually pretty sparse itself, so it's not like Kanye couldn't do it before.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Yeah he wanted Rubin to help clean out a lot of the stuff from the album. I think the "minimalism" of this album is a bit overblown, but it's definitely a change from his last album. 808's was actually pretty sparse itself, so it's not like Kanye couldn't do it before.

It can really only be considered minimalism when compared to MBDTF, which was the most bombastic, overproduced album he's ever done (in a good way). It's definitely a lot more sparsely layered than MBDTF, College Dropout, and Late Registration (I need to listen to Graduation again).

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

thathonkey posted:

As much as I love Frank Ocean's section on New Slaves it just feels slapped on and abrupt. Maybe that was the intent, but it is always super jarring when it hits.

Its my favorite moment on the entire album. The jarring entry into something more.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Professor Funk posted:

It can really only be considered minimalism when compared to MBDTF, which was the most bombastic, overproduced album he's ever done (in a good way). It's definitely a lot more sparsely layered than MBDTF, College Dropout, and Late Registration (I need to listen to Graduation again).

Yeah it's more stripped down than Graduation as well. And honestly, I do get what he means when he was talking about minimalism because for the most part, he's always firmly believed that "more is more", but after relistening to 808's some of the production on there is just so sparse and empty. I do agree with some of the people who have said you can hear elements of all his previous stuff in Yeesus (which is something I think he's always done really well-incorporating the stylistic changes he tried in previous albums into his new work).

Honestly I'm trying to be somewhat objective about how good this album is but Kanye's one of my fav all-time artists so it's a bit difficult. Just feel like typing a pitchfork-style review every time I listen to one of his songs...

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

alansmithee posted:

Honestly I'm trying to be somewhat objective about how good this album is but Kanye's one of my fav all-time artists so it's a bit difficult. Just feel like typing a pitchfork-style review every time I listen to one of his songs...

It's a really interesting album. I don't even find myself actually enjoying it that much, but I get great joy out of trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Two specific things have bothered me about a lot of reviews of the album:

1. "Bound 2 is a happy ending to the album! Classic, soulful Kanye!" I mean sure, it's a classic Kanye beat, but it's hardly a happy ending to the album. If anything, things are looking pretty bleak for Kanye. A song about finding true love or whatever that is peppered with lines like "I wanna gently caress you hard on the sink/leave spunk on your mink" and "I don't remember when we first met" and all of that makes you think that Kanye is just going to keep making the same mistakes over and over again, never actually figuring poo poo out. Or maybe the song is just completely unsure on the issue, which is probably the point of the whole album.

2. "I'm In It is the worst song/it's just gross/it's creepy." It's all of those things, but I think it might be the most effective track on the album along with I Am A God. I'm In It is a pretty horrifying song, and really drives home the corrosive nature of Kanye's views on sex and love.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

het posted:

Reading that as "before Rubin gutted it" is a little weird though, like you realize that this is what Kanye wanted, right?

I guess "gutted" had a negative connotation that I wasn't really looking for, it really is my favorite song on the album. Just meant that Rubin supposedly really stripped that track down.

het posted:

Embracing this stuff seriously does you no favors. (see also: your avatar)

I've never had ten dollars bite me in the rear end so hard.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

*ahem* Kanye clearly steps back so that he does NOT get spunk on the mink.

:eng101:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Me in Reverse posted:

*ahem* Kanye clearly steps back so that he does NOT get spunk on the mink.

:eng101:

I think it's pretty clear that I am wrong and that he really does understand true love. :allears:

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

thathonkey posted:

I like to think Kanye is oblivious to the fact that the line is inaccurate and everybody he works with was too scared to tell him.

It's not a mistake at all. "300 like the Romans" means CCC, like the Roman numerals: cool, calm, and collected. He keeps it cool, calm, and collected.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

buttcoin smuggler posted:

It's not a mistake at all. "300 like the Romans" means CCC, like the Roman numerals: cool, calm, and collected. He keeps it cool, calm, and collected.

I'm not 100% convinced that's what he meant, but it does make a lot more sense than it being a movie reference. Because if it's a movie reference, the line doesn't make any sense at all, for more than one reason.

E: vvv Yeah. Works really well.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 21, 2013

buttcoin smuggler
Jun 25, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I'm not 100% convinced that's what he meant, but it does make a lot more sense than it being a movie reference. Because if it's a movie reference, the line doesn't make any sense at all, for more than one reason.

Kanye West does not make mistakes. :colbert:

It is a segue into a movie reference in the next line, though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People really hate the "Eatin' Asian pussy, all I need was sweet and sour sauce" line, but I think the whole point is that the idiocy and simplicity of it contrasts with the "Chasin' love, all the bittersweet hours lost" beforehand.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Mexcillent posted:

Its my favorite moment on the entire album. The jarring entry into something more.

Definitely one of my favorite parts as well. The first 3.5 songs are so aggressive, and then right when the Frank Ocean section hits in the middle of New Slaves there's a very distinct shift in musical tone for the rest of the album. Really cool transition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Put the pussy in a sarcophagus.
Anyone want to try.

• Locked thread