Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not really a fan of the holy trinity but if you drop it you better have a system in mind that's not stupid (hello GW2).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I'm still a fan of systems like City of Heroes, where every class has a defined role and one or two things they do really well but no one role is ever absolutely essential in any possible situation. Your team has no tank, so what. All the mobs are frozen in blocks of ice thanks to the controller anyway. You have no heals, oh no. The tank on his own can survive for way more than the ten seconds it takes the rest of the team to melt everything in the room.

Sure, it took some of the difficulty out of the gameplay by necessity but meh. I was never a fan of bashing my head against a brick wall anyway.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

quote:

I'd rate 10k group DPS as "low end of average", but then I generally stick to relaxed, casual groups instead of the "5k+++ AR ONLY NO NUBS" Agartha PuGs.

I have no idea what this guy is saying.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I do but he's wrong. There is no way the average group does 10k DPS, at the high or low ends. That would be an average of 2k DPS per person and I've seen many groups where no other person does that much damage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

guppy posted:

I do but he's wrong. There is no way the average group does 10k DPS, at the high or low ends. That would be an average of 2k DPS per person and I've seen many groups where no other person does that much damage.

And that's not taking into account the fact that one person has to be the tank, and one the healer. Given tanks tend to do around 800 DPS, that means that he thinks every DPS does just under 3.1k damage, not taking into account leech healers.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I was, actually, our tanks do a fair bit of damage, especially Rev, and we usually have leech healers these days. But you're right that the average group doesn't seem to do those things. Although I've seen an uptick in leech healers -- but I also have write demanding ads when I recruit for a group.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
Got this off steam during the sale. Read through the thread, didn't understand a single thing that was said. Uhhh. I'll play a little before I am going to hit you guys up, so I don't look like a total fool.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

extraordinary posted:

Got this off steam during the sale. Read through the thread, didn't understand a single thing that was said. Uhhh. I'll play a little before I am going to hit you guys up, so I don't look like a total fool.

We're all talking about endgame optimization bullshit. Ignore us, pick two weapons that sound cool (two, not one), and go hit some monsters and solve some puzzles. Report back.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

KaneTW posted:

Rift chloromancers

(ok ok you do a third-half the damage of yourself in a DPS role but still)
I dunno what it's like now, but pre-SL, Justicar hybrids were completely balanced on that front due to 2 things: First, their damage and healing stats were the same, which meant they didn't have to balance around the multiplier effect of leech percentages. (In fact, if TSW did that, it'd probably make Born Leader and 90% of the fist and blood passives not complete garbage.) Second, they were strictly AoE healers, which meant they weren't going to totally replace MT healers, they were just something you brought on AoE-heavy fights.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 21, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

guppy posted:

10k group dps? Were their other two dps d/c'ed? :smaug:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Bunch of questions.

- What would I be if I went shotguns/assault rifles? Don't want no magic or melee in my lovecraftian game.

- Is there any real difference between the "groups"? I'm not a big fan of the crazy magical ideal the Dragon seems to go for, and the "Old Money!" Templars also don't really sit that well with me. On the other hand crazy one world order Illuminati sounds hilarious to me. I know you get different handlers, but is there enough story that making another character to see the other guys stuff would be worth it? Is there a definitive "best" one? I'm going through each class in SWTOR right now for the different stories, so if they are different/worth it enough I might be willing to check out all three.

- I've heard there is a Cthulu "raid", does this game have story mode style thing for raids, so you can see them without a group, or will I need to whore myself out to goons to get into this stuff?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
-Shotguns/Assault Rifles is a fairly decent straight DPS build. It's not one you'll see all that often in the endgame, but there's very little wrong with it. Going solo you also get leeching, which is great.

-The main differences between the factions are the deck outfits, flavor text, and each one gets unique missions between the 'story' sections. As an example, between the first set of zones and the second set, the Templars get to deal with a ghost exorcism, the Dragon go through a haunted asylum, and the Illuminati go to that warehouse from the end of the first Indiana Jones. Outside of that different mission though, Illuminati win out handily in every category. You can try out the other factions if you want, but you aren't really missing out by not doing so.

-There are two raids so far, one of the against a massive Cthulhu, and one against a similarly beefy Lovecraftian-style dude in the middle of Times Square. Sadly there's no real way to see that without a group, but I don't know how vital that story actually is. There's also a dungeon in every zone that you need to do with a group, but those are entirely disconnected from the main story. You should do them anyway though, because outside of a few exceptions on the high end you're gonna be looking at the best-designed dungeons in MMOs.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 21, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't say the dungeons are disconnected from the story missions, since they fill in the blanks and are all connected to the overarching themes. They are not necessary to follow the main plot though.

Rookersh posted:

Bunch of questions.

- What would I be if I went shotguns/assault rifles? Don't want no magic or melee in my lovecraftian game.

- Is there any real difference between the "groups"? I'm not a big fan of the crazy magical ideal the Dragon seems to go for, and the "Old Money!" Templars also don't really sit that well with me. On the other hand crazy one world order Illuminati sounds hilarious to me. I know you get different handlers, but is there enough story that making another character to see the other guys stuff would be worth it? Is there a definitive "best" one? I'm going through each class in SWTOR right now for the different stories, so if they are different/worth it enough I might be willing to check out all three.

- I've heard there is a Cthulu "raid", does this game have story mode style thing for raids, so you can see them without a group, or will I need to whore myself out to goons to get into this stuff?
AR/shotgun is one of the cookie-cutter combinations for the endgame (nightmare dungeons + the raid), for levelling it's fine like just about every other weapon combination. You don't have to use magic if you don't want to (in fact nightmare beginner builds are usually pistol/shotgun) and only tanks are forced to use melee weapons.

More on factions here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552793&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post416662589

It comes down to deck/uniform outfits and two faction-specific missions each. And mission debriefings but they're mostly in text form. The illuminati are actually the money guys, templars are more about libraries, artifacts and proper clothing. Kirsten Geary, the illuminati handler, is pretty entertaining but I wouldn't say the illuminati win anything "handily", there's simply no best faction unless you REALLY love PvP (then "best" is server-specific) and you could make alts to do all the different faction missions but that requires getting skills to about quality level 8 so you can finish Egypt and start the pre-Transylvania mission of your faction.

There's no alternative way to do the tentacle monster raid, but the boss most people call Cthulhu is in the very first 5-man dungeon (they reused the model for a lair raid later). Some of the dungeons can eventually be soloed in their normal version but it's not hard to get people for them or their elite variants. Join Mumble/the awful chat channel and you usually find someone to run you through.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 21, 2013

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Cleretic posted:

-Shotguns/Assault Rifles is a fairly decent straight DPS build. It's not one you'll see all that often in the endgame, but there's very little wrong with it. Going solo you also get leeching, which is great.

it's one of the three most common, actually, along with AR/Elemental and Pistol/Shotgun.

(EDIT: That's with assault rifle as primary though, it's just got plain better builders and better range.)

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 21, 2013

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The main problem with a Shotgun/AR build is that you run around with two rifles on your back which looks kind of dumb.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The main benefit of a Shotgun/AR build is that you run around with two rifles on your back which looks kind of awesome.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Lum_ posted:

The main problem with a Shotgun/AR build is that you run around with two rifles on your back which looks kind of dumb.

I chose Shotgun/Elementalism initially, primarily because of exactly this.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Piell posted:

The main benefit of a Shotgun/AR build is that you run around with two rifles on your back which looks kind of awesome.

The main problem benefit with Shotgun/AR is that the rifle models merge into one Assault Shotgun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Would you guys say the areas past the first are better/have more variety?

This is mostly since I already did like half of it on a trial account ages ago but I am just sick of zombies and freaky fish dudes and I'm still only on phase 2 out of 18 of the main quest.

The quests that make you actually think and stuff were cool though :v:

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Would you guys say the areas past the first are better/have more variety?

This is mostly since I already did like half of it on a trial account ages ago but I am just sick of zombies and freaky fish dudes and I'm still only on phase 2 out of 18 of the main quest.

The quests that make you actually think and stuff were cool though :v:

Well the second area has Hell leaking into it, vicious bugs that like to knock you down and kick your rear end, a magic school that is leaking magic and bringing back ghosts in it, and of course more zombies. So more variety, but I'm no sure what you mean by better. If you're not enjoying the storylines and the quests, they don't really "get better" than what currently is there.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nah I worded that sloppily, I more just meant better as in more variety. I actually do enjoy alot of the storylines and stuff.

Good to know though, that sounds pretty sweet.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Nah I worded that sloppily, I more just meant better as in more variety. I actually do enjoy alot of the storylines and stuff.

Good to know though, that sounds pretty sweet.

To be clear, the game is not populated by 17 types of reskinned boars, goblins, bears, and skeletons.

There are some overlap between sub-zones of a major zone (i.e. Kingsmouth/Savage Coast/Blue Mountain share some assets), but for the most part, with the exception of some very generic things like zombies/ghosts, you'll get very different enemies and backdrops in each major zone.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
Short trip report: I absolutely love the atmosphere of this game. And I am really digging the illuminati debriefs, KG is so bitchy, awesome. Combat is interesting, though I think I have to rebind the controls a little. I am working on two weapons like suggested, but to be honest I am only using AR right now, took elem to grab the outfit Illuminati get for that combo. Right now I am just running around in Kingsmouth looking for lore and doing sidequests, that's one great idea funcom implemented there.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

extraordinary posted:

Combat is interesting, though I think I have to rebind the controls a little.

I am working on two weapons like suggested, but to be honest I am only using AR right now,

Bind your builder to spacebar. Its the most readily accessible key and you will mash your builder an awful lot.

AR is good and can do the whole game completely by itself. Also early on, with less of the skills filled out, you will just not have as much to pull from for your weapons; its definitely not uncommon to get the feel that you are hardly using your secondary. Though definitely keep a consumer for your secondary weapon, you are building those resources anyway, might as well get use out of them (well, unless you are using anima shot exclusively as your builder since that only generate AR resources, if you are doing that consider putting in another builder or a second builder [anima shot is a 'healing' skill and like all healing skills only generates resources for its weapon, while all damage builders generate resources for both weapons, but anima shot is also really good solo])

As you move into Egypt you will get significantly more AP/SP and be much more able to change up weapons if you want. It just doesn't seem that way when running around the first few zones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Reverend Dr posted:

Bind your builder to spacebar. Its the most readily accessible key and you will mash your builder an awful lot.

AR is good and can do the whole game completely by itself. Also early on, with less of the skills filled out, you will just not have as much to pull from for your weapons; its definitely not uncommon to get the feel that you are hardly using your secondary. Though definitely keep a consumer for your secondary weapon, you are building those resources anyway, might as well get use out of them (well, unless you are using anima shot exclusively as your builder since that only generate AR resources, if you are doing that consider putting in another builder or a second builder [anima shot is a 'healing' skill and like all healing skills only generates resources for its weapon, while all damage builders generate resources for both weapons, but anima shot is also really good solo])

As you move into Egypt you will get significantly more AP/SP and be much more able to change up weapons if you want. It just doesn't seem that way when running around the first few zones.

My builder is set to "e" most used consumer "q" and my aux weapon "r". That way the farthest I have to reach is the 5 which I have a cool down on. My normal rotation is eeeq4 and throw 5 in when it's off cool down. But I also tank and can't DPS to save my rear end. I pull 10.2 DPS numbers in full 10.4s

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
^^^ Are there any auto attacks? Mashing my most used attack gets annoying after a while.

General Maximus posted:

I'm still a fan of systems like City of Heroes, where every class has a defined role and one or two things they do really well but no one role is ever absolutely essential in any possible situation. Your team has no tank, so what. All the mobs are frozen in blocks of ice thanks to the controller anyway. You have no heals, oh no. The tank on his own can survive for way more than the ten seconds it takes the rest of the team to melt everything in the room.

Sure, it took some of the difficulty out of the gameplay by necessity but meh. I was never a fan of bashing my head against a brick wall anyway.

I miss that loving game :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MadJackMcJack posted:

^^^ Are there any auto attacks? Mashing my most used attack gets annoying after a while.

I miss that loving game :smith:

There are no autoattacks. You have to smash that builder like there's no tomorrow.

Lyrhea;1603443 posted:

Removed additional posts that were getting petty and derailing the point of the thread. Please refrain from that sort of posting or I shall unleash a herd of frenzied leet upon you. :)

...then again, that would probably just encourage said behavior. ^^

The worst forum mods. :bravo:

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Found someone in London who had happened upon the only good use for any of the new cash shop clothes:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Reverend Dr posted:

Something interesting I noticed while playing was the the number 1 skill slot was also bound to one of my side buttons on the mouse by the default without me needing to rebind anything.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I take it there's no way to get shooter style movement controls in this game? Turning with the keyboard is really awkward.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Man I should really get back into this game, got a lifetime sub and played the hell out of it when it came out, but I kind of drifted away when all my friends here lost interest. :(

Ocana
Mar 6, 2009

Am i right or Wrong

Mill Village posted:

I take it there's no way to get shooter style movement controls in this game? Turning with the keyboard is really awkward.

i play with a Naga Razer mause and while the movement controls is the same, at least you dont have to use the numbers on the keyboard since they are on the side of the mouse. I hope that helps

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
press "T"

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Mill Village posted:

Is that to say you don't like holding a mouse button to turn? Like, holding RMB and turning with the mouse won't work for some reason? I've accidentally activated the 't' targeting mode dozens of times since this is the only MMO that doesn't start typing in the chat box when you hit '/' and I can't stand that mode.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Mill Village posted:

Where the mouse is slaved to where you look, with out needing to use the right mouse button? You can try the alternate combat mode, which makes the gameplay a bit more like an FPS. I think the default key is F.

Most people will advise against using this combat mode. It is buggy and it forces your primary and defensive targets based on what your looking at. I will probably get flamed for even admitting the feature is in the game.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mill Village posted:

In any MMO I immediately remap A and D to strafe instead of turn, then just use the right mouse button to aim the camera/steer myself. Works perfectly in TSW.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Is it wrong of me to really be frustrated that 90% of the hammer abilities seem exactly the same as older ones? Or they're at least so similar that it really negates having quite so many abilities to choose from...?

Is it that I'm just a dumb newbie? Are the other ability branches like this?

I feel terrible spending so many points on (what appears to be) a rubbish ability.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

KiddieGrinder posted:

Is it wrong of me to really be frustrated that 90% of the hammer abilities seem exactly the same as older ones? Or they're at least so similar that it really negates having quite so many abilities to choose from...?

Is it that I'm just a dumb newbie? Are the other ability branches like this?

I feel terrible spending so many points on (what appears to be) a rubbish ability.

It is not wrong at all, and a lot of the other branches are kinda like that.

If you're referring to one hammer Active that you got as 'a rubbish ability', it's not a complete waste since each branch within Hammer tends to have at least one useful or noteworthy Active in it. (One of the Elites makes a volcano!) If you're referring to Hammers in general, it's pretty strong in the current meta as a Tank weapon (particularly for bringing higher DPS), so don't feel like you've wasted time.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've got an MMO itch and would like to request a trial key. Tried the game when it was in open beta and generally liked it, although for some reason Kingsmouth felt really... dry to me. The P2P system seems intriguing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I've got an MMO itch and would like to request a trial key. Tried the game when it was in open beta and generally liked it, although for some reason Kingsmouth felt really... dry to me. The P2P system seems intriguing though.

4LAZJJW3972QB8GLJWHQ
There you go.

• Locked thread