Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Fintilgin posted:

I've said it in multiple Paradox threads, but that 'province' makes me teeth grindingly, steam out of ears, stamp my feet mad. :mad:

What's the justification behind that one, anyways? Was it some sort of bizarre, actual historical thing, or was it meant to simulate the personal property of some noble or other who happened to be part of Burgundy and not France or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Crameltonian posted:

CK1/2, EU3/Rome, Victoria 1/2 and MotE (plus every expansion for those games minus The Old Gods) are now 75% off on Steam for today as part of their Daily Deal. I'm probably going to pick up MotE, the impression I get is that it's not a massively deep game but it's definitely worth £3.74.

Victoria Collection doesn't include Heart of Darkness but that expansion is also 75% off so good times.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tomn posted:

What's the justification behind that one, anyways? Was it some sort of bizarre, actual historical thing, or was it meant to simulate the personal property of some noble or other who happened to be part of Burgundy and not France or something?
It's probably just undue attention to that particular province (Gigau is French right?), not anything really specific to it. Compare this map of Schleswig-Holstein with the way it's presented in Paradox games:

If I remember it right, the most accurate way to present this in EU3 would probably be to have darker orange-brown be one province, owned directly by Denmark, the lighter one and the yellow another, ruled in a PU, with the rest of colors being another province ruled as a vassal. Not perfect, but closer to reality. Also really ugly, and trying to add complexity the game can't really handle, for no drat reason. If the game had significantly smaller provinces it should obviously be done, but that would also be a very different game.

It's basically like if provinces in EU3 were 4 times larger, and you then turned all the provinces of the Palatinate into a region, because they at some point where ruled by a single ruler.

FE:

Here's a map of the area in 1477, where you can see that the area around Lorraine looks like a terrible accident happened. While I do actually like the provinces to have a bit of character, instead of just being blobs, going that far is a bit too much even for me.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 21, 2013

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013

Tomn posted:

Looks like the Duchy of Nemours

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Tomn posted:

As far as I know, Metz, Toul, and Verdun, the Trois Eveches (Three Bishoprics) had their own bishops as leaders, but all three of them jumped ship at the same time from the HRE in the 1550s as part of an alliance between Henri II and the elector of Saxony in a war against Charles V.

beefart fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 21, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lawman 0 posted:

Can someone explain to me how provinces base tax was done in EUIII because honestly I have no clue. :psyduck:

What do you mean? Base tax is pre-defined in the history files on a province-by-province basis. It can be occasionally modified by events or decisions, but for the most part a province's base tax stays the same regardless of any outside factors.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012
So I've been working on this since this morning, and want to share it with the only people who might actually find this interesting. I took Wiz's Hohenzollern Mega-LP final map:

And I have started trying to reconstruct the history of the FIFA World Cup in this universe, with these national boundaries. I had to make a few assumptions to get started, but they can be altered to continue the thought experiment, especially if I can dig up some more details from the archived LP. The starting principles are as follows:

(1) Football and Soccer are interchangeable terms
(2) Soccer is as big an international pass-time in Paradox World as it is in reality, and essentially all nations participate to some degree.
(3) Superstar players will make it onto the international scene regardless of national issues (that is to say that war, poverty, politics, religion, etc. will not prevent someone from reaching real world potential)
(4) Similarly, great athletes from other sports wouldn't have chosen to play soccer instead, so no imagining Calvin Johnson as a striker.
(5) Players will be born in the same town/city as in the real world, even if the nation that owns that city has changed.
(6) Players will typically play for the nation in which they were born.
(7) There are no regional teams (Scottish and Welsh players play for Great Britain)

Assuming that there are no changes in the boundaries to the world map from above, there are five earth-shattering changes to the international soccer landscape:

(A) Jidligrib (replacement Argentina) would not only own all of Uruguay, but also Porto Alegre (home to Ronaldinho).
(B) The Netherlands would lay claim to the majority of significant Belgian Players (Ceulemans, Pfaff, van der Elst)
(C) Germany would have claim to all great Polish players, as well as (I think) the handful of great players from Lyon (Platini, Benzema)
(D) France, Occitania, and Brittany would split the French players, and none would have claim to any French colonial players (Desailley, Makelele, Fontaine, Thuram, Tresor, Vieira)
(E) Austria would have claim to a huge number of extremely talented Czech and Balkan players.
(F) There are way fewer teams than currently exist in FIFA, so teams that don't get better would probably get comparatively worse.

So there you have the thing I've been thinking about since the day I finished the Hohenzollern LP and my first initial thought was "Huh, Germany owns Algeria? So you're telling me that Zidane would've played for Germany in 2006." Please note that that's not the case, because Zidane was born in Marseilles to Algerian immigrant parents. I totally consider it up for debate if we can assume his parents would've moved to Germany in Paradox World.

Here's the history of the World Cup. Obviously we have to figure out what to do with the pre-1950 World Cups, but I've highlighted those teams that placed that would no longer exist. I also have a Pele's top 100 players and Bloomberg Magazine's Top 50 players of 2012 with their new national allegiances worked out, if anyone wants them for discussion.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I think I love this post.

uPen fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 21, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Young Hegelian posted:

So I've been working on this since this morning, and want to share it with the only people who might actually find this interesting. I took Wiz's Hohenzollern Mega-LP final map:

And I have started trying to reconstruct the history of the FIFA World Cup in this universe, with these national boundaries. I had to make a few assumptions to get started, but they can be altered to continue the thought experiment, especially if I can dig up some more details from the archived LP. The starting principles are as follows:

(1) Football and Soccer are interchangeable terms
(2) Soccer is as big an international pass-time in Paradox World as it is in reality, and essentially all nations participate to some degree.
(3) Superstar players will make it onto the international scene regardless of national issues (that is to say that war, poverty, politics, religion, etc. will not prevent someone from reaching real world potential)
(4) Similarly, great athletes from other sports wouldn't have chosen to play soccer instead, so no imagining Calvin Johnson as a striker.
(5) Players will be born in the same town/city as in the real world, even if the nation that owns that city has changed.
(6) Players will typically play for the nation in which they were born.
(7) There are no regional teams (Scottish and Welsh players play for Great Britain)

Assuming that there are no changes in the boundaries to the world map from above, there are five earth-shattering changes to the international soccer landscape:

(A) Jidligrib (replacement Argentina) would not only own all of Uruguay, but also Porto Alegre (home to Ronaldinho).
(B) The Netherlands would lay claim to the majority of significant Belgian Players (Ceulemans, Pfaff, van der Elst)
(C) Germany would have claim to all great Polish players, as well as (I think) the handful of great players from Lyon (Platini, Benzema)
(D) France, Occitania, and Brittany would split the French players, and none would have claim to any French colonial players (Desailley, Makelele, Fontaine, Thuram, Tresor, Vieira)
(E) Austria would have claim to a huge number of extremely talented Czech and Balkan players.
(F) There are way fewer teams than currently exist in FIFA, so teams that don't get better would probably get comparatively worse.

So there you have the thing I've been thinking about since the day I finished the Hohenzollern LP and my first initial thought was "Huh, Germany owns Algeria? So you're telling me that Zidane would've played for Germany in 2006." Please note that that's not the case, because Zidane was born in Marseilles to Algerian immigrant parents. I totally consider it up for debate if we can assume his parents would've moved to Germany in Paradox World.

Here's the history of the World Cup. Obviously we have to figure out what to do with the pre-1950 World Cups, but I've highlighted those teams that placed that would no longer exist. I also have a Pele's top 100 players and Bloomberg Magazine's Top 50 players of 2012 with their new national allegiances worked out, if anyone wants them for discussion.

Whoa. That's amazing and I'm pretty sure this would only ever happen in a Paradox thread. I'd like to see those new top player lists too.

Now do one for Kaiserreich. Or model the Olympics from Crete. :getin:

edit: Additionally who wins now for those teams that don't exist anymore? Do you have a chart with who the world cup winners would be now?

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 21, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hmmm... But if we go from a historical perspective most of those players wouldn't have been born at all, specially in the new world where the migration pattern was completely different and their culture wouldn't even exist, so you can count out pretty much every Latin American player.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

axeil posted:

Whoa. That's amazing and I'm pretty sure this would only ever happen in a Paradox thread. I'd like to see those new top player lists too.

Now do one for Kaiserreich :getin:

edit: Additionally who wins now for those teams that don't exist anymore? Do you have a chart with who the world cup winners would be now?

Here is the Bloomberg list, unfortunately I did the other list by hand. Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100

Notable exceptions to the obvious equivalent nations for players on that list:

Ronaldinho - Jidligrib
Seedorf - Nova Aquitania
Edgar Davids - Nova Aquitania
Eusebio - Italian Africa
Shevchekno - Lithuania

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Hmmm... But if we go from a historical perspective most of those players wouldn't have been born at all, specially in the new world where the migration pattern was completely different and their culture wouldn't even exist, so you can count out pretty much every Latin American player.

You're almost definitely right, but it falls apart as a game if you just give up on everyone but Europe, or if you try to draw equivalencies based on size/wealth/religion/government.

axeil posted:

Like I said before, I don't think it makes any sense to try to do the ones from before the map I'm working on. Which sucks, because the only easy answer would be that if Uruguay and Argentina played in the 1930 world cup final, we can probably assume that those countries put together would've beaten the field.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

axeil posted:

If we do one for Kaiserreich, will we have to determine which players would have stayed in the UoB and which ones would have ended up in Canada?

E: Also, is there a map of the post-game Hohenzollern world?

Lustful Man Hugs fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 21, 2013

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ChaosSamusX posted:

If we do one for Kaiserreich, will we have to determine which players would have stayed in the UoB and which ones would have ended up in Canada?

Clearly we must determine who are dirty syndicalists and who support the true rulers of Great Britain.

Or we could just import the entire current Canadian team as the "real" British team for laughs.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

ChaosSamusX posted:

E: Also, is there a map of the post-game Hohenzollern world?

The map from my post

was the last one from the Hohenzollern LP. If Wiz has any later maps, or more detailed ones, I'd love to see them.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Is EU: Rome worth the purchase? It's at less than $3 now so it's bastard cheap, but I'm just curious as to what the goon consensus is. I heard the vanilla version isn't one of Paradox's best games but Wiz put together a mod that made it pretty good. Is this true?

I believe the goon consensus is that's it's a decent game with Wiz's mod. For the price it's at now you might as well.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Thanks to the rather splendid Steam sale I just bought March of the Eagles, EU3, HoI3, A Heart of Darkness, The Republic DLC, Ruler Designer DLC, and Sunset Invasion DLC all for less than £23 ($34).

Technically I already owned some of these, but they weren't the Steam versions and I bloody love Paradox and wanted to give them some money. Besides, who wants to go out in the sun during the summer?

Oh and this football business is amazing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ZearothK posted:

Literally none of the people we know today would be born. The slightest change in angle and timing of the ejaculation is going to re-roll a 50-500 million sided die, and only one of the results is going to make the same person result in the same genetic makeup. Every other result would be a person that's halfway between an identical twin and a regular sibling (since the egg is constant.) Move the intercourse, and the egg will of course also be different, and thus it's basically an alternate history sibling. If other people pair up, it changes again, to an alternate reality half-sibling. And that's in the very first generation of people affected by whatever change in history you're working from, and before you consider environmental factors effect on fetus developments (and after birth as well really).

These siblings and half-siblings will pair up in different ways than their real life counterparts, be killed in a war over 25 ducats, and all the other many changes that Paradox games allow the player. It's basically the question of historical determinism vs. sandbox, just applied to people loving and killing each other. In the end, it's of course the authors prerogative to decide whatever (s)he thinks makes a better story. For me, personally, it really breaks my suspension of disbelief to see historical figures that should by all rights never have been born, but hey, it's all just dumb stories in a historical setting. :v:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

6EQUJ5 posted:

Thanks to the rather splendid Steam sale I just bought March of the Eagles, EU3, HoI3, A Heart of Darkness, The Republic DLC, Ruler Designer DLC, and Sunset Invasion DLC all for less than £23 ($34).

Technically I already owned some of these, but they weren't the Steam versions and I bloody love Paradox and wanted to give them some money. Besides, who wants to go out in the sun during the summer?

Oh and this football business is amazing.

I wish I wish I wish I could transfer my gamersgate version of CK2 to Steam because I have Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome and that's just good enough that I can't justify the cost to myself of buying the whole lot again.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
What's the cheapest way to buy HoI3+exp, and is it worth it? I really wanna get into the HoI series, but I just can't handle the Europa engine.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Is there a good guide for how to play March of the Eagles anywhere? I tried, but then Russia Prussia and GB all DoW'ed me at once (I was Sweden) so...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nightblade posted:

What's the cheapest way to buy HoI3+exp, and is it worth it? I really wanna get into the HoI series, but I just can't handle the Europa engine.

Have you tried Darkest Hour? Yeah, it's Europa, but it also feels more like something different (scroll-wheel locational zooming, a gorgeous map, etc).

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drone posted:

Have you tried Darkest Hour? Yeah, it's Europa, but it also feels more like something different (scroll-wheel locational zooming, a gorgeous map, etc).

Yeah, I tried it. I didn't try it for long and I appreciated the scroll-wheel zoom, but it didn't really agree with me at all and it was incredibly slow, too. Much slower than AoD somehow. There's just so much about the earlier paradox titles you don't notice when you're familiar with them, but as a new player it's just horrible. All the little things like the way you select a nation to play for example. You have to right click one of the pre-selected nations, then scroll through a looong alphabetical list of nations instead of just selecting them on the world map. I love the detailed descriptions of every nation, though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Nightblade posted:

You have to right click one of the pre-selected nations, then scroll through a looong alphabetical list of nations instead of just selecting them on the world map.

I, too, think this is game breaking and completely ruins my enjoyment of things.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Drone posted:

I, too, think this is game breaking and completely ruins my enjoyment of things.
:hfive:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My project to port everything over to Steam is nearly complete!

From last month's Amazon sale, I bought the CK2 Collection and one of the combo packs that had [Victoria 2+AHD] and [HOI3+Semper Fi+For the Motherland]. With today's sale, I bought Crusader Kings 1, Victoria 1 Complete and Heart of Darkness, and I already had EU3 Chronicles (from the forum giveaway even), Darkest Hour and March of the Eagles from a while back. Now I just need Their Finest Hour to go on a daily deal.

Nightblade posted:

It's not a daily deal yet, so wait until it is or it's the last day.

One of HOI 3's last remaining problems is really that there are way too many provinces. They've more-or-less fixed everything else, but actually conducting the war is still a huge hassle because even the Spanish Civil War is going to need something like two dozen divisions just to establish a contiguous front, which is crazy. Someone needs to port Victoria 2's map over to HOI 3.

That said, if you can't stand the Europa engine, even after Darkest Hour's improvements, you kind of have no choice, except perhaps throwing another 20 years onto the end-game of Victoria 2.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of HOI 3's last remaining problems is really that there are way too many provinces. They've more-or-less fixed everything else, but actually conducting the war is still a huge hassle because even the Spanish Civil War is going to need something like two dozen divisions just to establish a contiguous front, which is crazy. Someone needs to port Victoria 2's map over to HOI 3.

This and the Order of Battle I think. I can play Darkest Hour just fine but the fact that all divisions in HOI3 are separate counters makes - for me - managing large offensives impossible. I guess it comes from having so drat many provinces though. If someone did port the V2 map, could they make corps a single counter again or is that hardcoded?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DerLeo posted:

This and the Order of Battle I think. I can play Darkest Hour just fine but the fact that all divisions in HOI3 are separate counters makes - for me - managing large offensives impossible. I guess it comes from having so drat many provinces though. If someone did port the V2 map, could they make corps a single counter again or is that hardcoded?

I think you can fudge it by increasing the maximum number of brigades allowed in a unit. A Corps should have something like ... 12 Brigades? Not sure how this would play with the combat system or the AI, though.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Speaking of Darkest Hour, it's 50% off($5) on Steam for the weekend.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Which version of EU3 should I be getting here? I'm only seeing EU3 complete; the one that has a giant DO NOT BUY warning in the OP.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

Which version of EU3 should I be getting here? I'm only seeing EU3 complete; the one that has a giant DO NOT BUY warning in the OP.

EU3 Chronicles, go for EU3 Chronicles. It's Complete + Heir To The Throne and Divine Wind. You'll want those two.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Ofaloaf posted:

EU3 Chronicles, go for EU3 Chronicles. It's Complete + Heir To The Throne and Divine Wind. You'll want those two.

Thanks! found it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Can you spot what's missing from this screenshot?

Here's a hint: No religious icons are showing. Even if I hover my mouse over where the icon should be in the display, no information appears. The religious map still shows the different religions and I still get the appropriate diplomatic bonuses and maluses for religion, but it doesn't actually load up any of the icons. Anyone have any idea why?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I was being a dick and illustrating that your quibble has no bearing on the actual gameplay of Darkest Hour and that maybe you're judging it unfairly. :shrug:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Ofaloaf posted:

Can you spot what's missing from this screenshot?

Here's a hint: No religious icons are showing. Even if I hover my mouse over where the icon should be in the display, no information appears. The religious map still shows the different religions and I still get the appropriate diplomatic bonuses and maluses for religion, but it doesn't actually load up any of the icons. Anyone have any idea why?

I'm not sure what mod this is, but did you by chance, rename the mod folder or something like that? If so, one of the .gfx or .gui files in the mod's interface folder is possibly looking for the icons in a location that doesn't exist.

edit: open up provincepanel.gui in the mod's interface folder and search for "GFX_icon_religion", make sure that the destination that section of code points to exists.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 22, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Drone posted:

I was being a dick and illustrating that your quibble has no bearing on the actual gameplay of Darkest Hour and that maybe you're judging it unfairly. :shrug:

Nightblade's stated position is "there are a lot of small problems that, together, add up to enough of an annoyance that I can't enjoy Darkest Hour; here's an example of one of those tiny problems." Your retort was, "that's just a tiny problem, what's your issue?"

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Holy poo poo this is great.

Can you repost this and the other stuff on my Darkest Hour thread on the official forums please?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?565808-Hegemonia-An-Alternate-History-Mod

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

axeil posted:

All you need to know about Kaiserreich is that Argentina controls Uruguay, which gives them 4 championships combined to Brazil's 5. poo poo just got real in South America.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I bought Vicky + all addons.

I'm Mexico, and USA keeps beating me up every 5 years. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Or is this inevitable unless you are really good at this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Tomn posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Bishoprics / http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trois-%C9v%EAch%E9s

• Locked thread