Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Golden Boy.

So, how do you like my swimming? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Relambrien posted:

The setting is not unique at all--it's just a city in modern Japan (though unless I'm misremembering, not too modern as it lacks computers and cell phones). The pervading surrealism is actually one of two things the writer/company he writes for is known for. The other thing they're known for is the kind of drama you saw in Angel Beats.

So while Clannad does have the same kind of surrealism and supernatural things going on, it's not at all the primary factor in the show and isn't nearly as prominent. On the drama side, Clannad has it in spades.

If you watch it (and since I loving love Clannad, I'm going to say you should), make sure to watch both the series Clannad and Clannad ~After Story~, the latter being the second season and significantly better than the first.

As an aside, Clannad was originally a visual novel developed by the company Key, and they've also produced Kanon, Air, Planetarian, Little Busters!, and most recently, Rewrite. The main writer for this company was the writer for Angel Beats--it turns out he can't really write anything else but he does what he does pretty drat well :v:
You're forgetting something very important.

I really like comedies where the main character is just being a jerk for no reason.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So I recently finished the Patlabor TV series and the only Patlabor thing I have left to watch is the 2nd OVA series. I'll get to that eventually, but in the meantime I'm wondering if there's anything else quite like it. I mean in the sense that it has a great, diverse cast of characters and has no trouble shifting gears from comedy to serious drama and then going back to comedy all while making it feel completely organic. Something that usually fails more often than not, in my experience.

It doesn't have to have giant robots or anything like that. Another example of this sort of thing would be Gintama, which has a gigantic, rather Springfield-esque cast of characters that are used well no matter the tone an episode is going for.

I've seen some City Hunter and it's not exactly what I'm looking for; it's fun to watch every now and then but there are few reoccurring characters and it gets rather repetitive. And I've seen plenty of Lupin III stuff too which I guess *sorta* fits but not exactly; I love the Lupin cast but due to the nature of the series they're mostly static characters.

Due to the nature of the sort of show I'm looking for they tend to not have overarching plots and run for well over the typical 13/26 episodes, but hey if there's an exception to that I'd be down for it too.

Srice fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 16, 2013

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

A lot of the flavor of Patlabor comes from Headgear member and co-founder Masami Yuuki. You can trace pretty much all the humor of the franchise from him and his style of manga. He did the original Patlabor manga of which two volumes were released and scanlations go up to volume four... of 22. Yuuki's work is mostly untranslated but two have a good amount in English Birdy the Mighty and Kyuukyoku Choujin R.

Birdy the Mighty is about an intergalactic police officer who accidentally "kills" an earth boy. To save his life she shares her body with his mind until the aliens can fix his body. It's funny, there's a lot of action and the story is pretty good. But like I said no one is tripping over themselves to translate it. Birdy has gone through a couple different manga incarnations because of magazine problems. The original Birdy is translated, Birdy II the longest running version is only about half translated and the newer Birdy Evolution from 2008 isn't at all. There was an OVA directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri in the 90s which is drat good with some slick action and a TV show Birdy the Mighty Decode a couple years ago which was also great. Decode was more of a modern retelling instead of a adaptation though. Still good.

Kyuukyoku Choujin R is about a robot. A robot named R that wants to go to school; hijinks ensue. That's it. It's a simple gag manga but the jokes and characters are funny. Only about two volumes have been translated. There was an OVA but there's no subs.

There's also Assemble Insert. Which has none of the manga translated but there was an OVA that made it over to the states. It's okay.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I completely forgot that Birdy the Mighty was made by one of the creators of Patlabor. I like the 90s OVA but I've only seen a few episodes of the recent tv series. Sounds like I should go and fix that. Thanks!

Shame that most of Yuuki's manga is only partially translated at best, but I'll have to check out those other titles too.

e: VVVVV Yeah I gotta get to watching that too, I've seen a little bit of it but I hear Oshii had a lot more freedom to do whatever he wanted in the later episodes. I've just been lazy about getting to that point!

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 16, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you can take Rumiko Takahashi's stuff you could try the Urusei Yatsura TV series, a lot of the same people who worked on the Patlabor anime previously worked on that. It's about a billion episodes long though.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
I just got to episode 26 of Legend of Galactic Heroes and I don't know if I can handle more of this.

There had better be a good ending for Reinhard in this, but somehow I'm getting some serious villain vibes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sarcophallus posted:

I just got to episode 26 of Legend of Galactic Heroes and I don't know if I can handle more of this.

There had better be a good ending for Reinhard in this, but somehow I'm getting some serious villain vibes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUa9nqj0Iw

(Disclaimer: I only watched a season and a half of LoGH before getting bored and do not actually know the answer to your question.)

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUa9nqj0Iw

(Disclaimer: I only watched a season and a half of LoGH before getting bored and do not actually know the answer to your question.)
Totally missed an opportunity for a Kaiser Caspar joke in there.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ViggyNash posted:

Can someone recommend me a random thing? I'm not sure what I want to watch right now since I've watched most of the shows I've been interested in.

The Twelve Kingdoms, a really good coming of age "normal person transported to fantasy world" story that did character development better than anything else I've ever watched. Caveat: a pretty drat slow start, but you realize why it was necessary later.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Looking for some decent death/near death game series to read/watch

I already read Kaiji, Zero, Liar Game, and Kami-sama no Iutoori and since I'm caught up with all of those I really need something to scratch that itch.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gamble Fish is like that except pretty trashy. It's definitely a guilty pleasure, so you might not like it, but you could always try.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Finally finished watching Robotic;Notes and boy was it worth it. A show where most episodes left me smiling at the end. Thanks to those who recommended it to me after having seen Steins;Gate.

Is there anything similar out there in tone to RB?

Something with fun characters and plotlines that just mesh well together. It doesn't have to get super serious or plot-twisty but if it does that's fine!

Also are those that produced RB and SG working on anything else wonderful?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a Steins;Gate movie hitting Japanese theaters soon, the trailers have me pretty excited to see it.

For your request: I think Otome Youkai Zakuro has a great cast and the whole bunch of them bounce of each other really well. And for great characters and interaction you really can't go wrong with Chihayafuru and Kids on the Slope. Neither of those are scifi, if that matters though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The Steins;Gate sequel will inevitably get an anime adaptation as well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The Steins;Gate sequel will inevitably get an anime adaptation as well.

Is it really a sequel? The way it was described was more like a series of different stories that follow various characters from the original. It doesn't seem like it's going to have some overarching plot (though it could), so it would be a very different show than the original.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Last Emperor posted:

Something with fun characters and plotlines that just mesh well together. It doesn't have to get super serious or plot-twisty but if it does that's fine!
It's manga-only sadly, but the first thing that came to mind for this was Satoshi Mizukami.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I'll probably check out Chihayafuru first since I keep seeing it's name coming up positively. Would be the first show I've watched that doesn't have any crazy magic or Sci-Fi going on so it should be an interesting introduction!

Whilst I knew about the other SG movie I didn't know about the sequel series. Really looking forward to that in which case :) Thanks once again everyone!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It isn't a sequel to the series, it's a sequel to the VN. It is almost guaranteed to be adapted given the success of the original's adaptation, but that won't be for a long time.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Ah okay, I'm not a huge manga reader and haven't been involved in any VNs but that makes sense. Hopefully the wait will be worth it then.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if they release the anime alongside the VN, I mean they did it with R;N.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's an appealing possibility. I wondered why R;N didn't have a PC port yet despite the show already being out and I guess that's why.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

a kitten posted:

There's a Steins;Gate movie hitting Japanese theaters soon, the trailers have me pretty excited to see it.

I think the Steins;Gate movie already hit theatres last April. Hope we get an official translation soon!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm told a sub can be expected in October-ish, so it'll be a while.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Did the people involved with Darker than Black have to sell their souls to Pizza Hut to get this anime made, because it's really distracting how much product placement there is here.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Thunderfinger posted:

Did the people involved with Darker than Black have to sell their souls to Pizza Hut to get this anime made, because it's really distracting how much product placement there is here.

I take it you aren't a code geass fan

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I thought the pizza hut placement in Code Geass was kinda hilarious. They also didn't do it enough times to get annoying so I was fine with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thunderfinger posted:

This would probably explain DtB's second season :wtc:.

Also why did no-one tell me there was a CGI Appleseed 13-episode series? Is it any good?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also why did no-one tell me there was a CGI Appleseed 13-episode series? Is it any good?
No.

Each episode was farmed out in whole to a different studio so there's no consistency in the art or animation. Briareos and Deunan have none of the chemistry they have in the manga. Mostly because Deunan is busy acting like a petulant child and Briareos basically being a board for Deunan to bounce off of. Most of the action is messy Landmate dogfights because animating the Lademates maneuvering on the ground would have taken some effort.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

I thought the pizza hut placement in Code Geass was kinda hilarious. They also didn't do it enough times to get annoying so I was fine with it.

Every time pizza hut was on scream I said "pizza huuuut" and had a good time of it.

Guyver posted:

No.

Each episode was farmed out in whole to a different studio so there's no consistency in the art or animation. Briareos and Deunan have none of the chemistry they have in the manga. Mostly because Deunan is busy acting like a petulant child and Briareos basically being a board for Deunan to bounce off of. Most of the action is messy Landmate dogfights because animating the Lademates maneuvering on the ground would have taken some effort.

I bought the first CG one thinking it was the OVA because I didn't know there WAS a CG one and when it turned out it wasn't just a janky cover I threw it in the goddamn trash. I don't think i watched more than 5 minutes of it.

Japanese CG is poo poo garbage unless it comes out of their video game industry, for some reason.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

DamnGlitch posted:

Japanese CG is poo poo garbage unless it comes out of their video game industry, for some reason.
It's because anime studios cheap out on the CG animation. CG isn't actually cheaper than conventional 2d animation like a lot of people think, it's just easier. There aren't a lot of animators in Japan, or the world for that matter, right now who can do mechanical animation in 2D well so they use CG to smooth out the process. The problem being to do it right it takes a lot of time which means a lot of hours clocked by animators and since anime budgets are tiny they have to weigh if it's good enough. Sadly a lot of the time it comes down to the fact that it would probably look worse if they tried to do it in conventional animation.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A lot of anime studios that try CG projects seem to think their CG is worlds better than it actually is. When Tiger & Bunny was airing I remember that one of the creators was asked why the superheroes had CG suits and I if I'm remembering this correctly (which to be honest, I hope I'm not), he actually compared what they were doing to Pixar. The guy seemed to think that Pixar's movies are popular just because they're CG.

And while on the subject of CG anime the recent Cyborg 009 movie was the best effort I've seen in awhile. The CG was good by anime standards and definitely watchable. But sadly it's not quite the same level as the average western CG movie; it seems like anime studios can never figure out what framerate CG should be at so movement could sometimes be really janky.

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 21, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think some of the best anime CG can be found in the Rebuild movies and in the various GitS shows/movies, except for the original and the original 2.0. IG is definitely one of the best at combining CG and animation, and Hideaki Anno has enough money to throw into those movies that he could eat the bills for breakfast and not give a gently caress, so a lot of the money probably went into quality CG.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

I think some of the best anime CG can be found in the Rebuild movies and in the various GitS shows/movies, except for the original and the original 2.0. IG is definitely one of the best at combining CG and animation, and Hideaki Anno has enough money to throw into those movies that he could eat the bills for breakfast and not give a gently caress, so a lot of the money probably went into quality CG.

Regardless of how well done the CG was in the Rebuild movies, I still believe traditional 2D would have looked worlds better in the same scenes. CG always looks incredibly out of place in whatever universe it's being portrayed. Not simply the detail of what's being animated, but other things like how things move, how the framerate is set, and how the physics of objects work in 3D always differs from how they work in 2D. CG never captures the right scale of what's supposed to be going on, and I've never encountered a scene where I went "yep, I'm glad they used CG for that".

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea, framerate differntials between the animation and the CG are usually pretty noticeable, but the Rebuild movies definitely put effort into trying to get the CG animation to fit with the animation. I actually really like it when quality CG is added to a show, but that may be because I was once obsessed with video games instead of anime. I guess the necessity of CG is more of a personal opinion.\

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

There are some good cg moment in Rebuild, but 2.22 is particularly egregious when it comes to several really REALLY bad shots. Particularly some of the crowd shots in Tokyo 3 look more like faceless cg zombies than the faceless cg zombies in highschool of the dead. They are shambling, oddly gaited, and awful awful awful looking.

Gainax et all have done some really interesting and innovative things over the years to reduce time spent on animation, but cg is hardly novel or interesting.

Incidentally, tiger and bunny cg isn't particularly good (its good for tv anime cg, but that's light praise), but somehow mixed in with the fun character designs it sorta becomes a stylistic thing.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

DamnGlitch posted:

There are some good cg moment in Rebuild, but 2.22 is particularly egregious when it comes to several really REALLY bad shots. Particularly some of the crowd shots in Tokyo 3 look more like faceless cg zombies than the faceless cg zombies in highschool of the dead. They are shambling, oddly gaited, and awful awful awful looking.

Gainax et all have done some really interesting and innovative things over the years to reduce time spent on animation, but cg is hardly novel or interesting.

That's an awfully nice way of putting it!

And to rerail: has anyone seen Ghost Hunt? How is it?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

House Louse posted:

And to rerail: has anyone seen Ghost Hunt? How is it?
I saw it a long time ago, and my recollection is that it was fine, if nothing especially fantastic.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Paracelsus posted:

I saw it a long time ago, and my recollection is that it was fine, if nothing especially fantastic.

Agreed. Though I think the last arc is actually pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just curious, but what shows have had really good OPs and EDs? I'm watching Durarara!! right now and I absolutely love both the OP and ED.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread