Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Did M&M:Clash of Heroes ever get patched better? It's down to 2bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

There was a big patch recently, but I had deleted it to make room for X-Com (which is amazing and I'm falling in love all over again).

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In short, what you need is a tank, a striker, and a controller. Druids and Clerics are good at controlling. Paladins are the best tanks, although Warriors are okay. Warriors are simple fun who can hit three dudes, gain HP and regen HP like woah, and can also gimp an enemys atk fairly well while also ripping their face off.

I dont have all the classes nor have i played with them all so my things may not be ideal.

Ps the best thing is that the pizza guy is basically the deliverator.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

friendly and non-threatening

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone have a clue yet how much game length was stripped from X-com map-wise compared to the PC version? Reviews are rather vague about this, only that it was "cut".

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Krolm posted:

Anyone have a clue yet how much game length was stripped from X-com map-wise compared to the PC version? Reviews are rather vague about this, only that it was "cut".

Game length in what sense? Nothing has changed about the strategic layer, so the length of a game is going to be completely identical to the PC version.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

Bleak Gremlin

Paradoxish posted:

Game length in what sense? Nothing has changed about the strategic layer, so the length of a game is going to be completely identical to the PC version.

I assumed less maps meant less content/length, but I guess it just means less tilesets then?

Edit: Their official forum sais they "cut maps by..quite a bit" (70 to 30 apparently) but still not sure what that means for the campaign.

Krolm fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 21, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Krolm posted:

The number of maps doesn't affect game length at all. There was simply a pool of maps from which one would be drawn at random for your current mission. The spawn points on each map could be varied, for the player and the aliens, so even if a map came up a second time it would play out differently. There are only a very small number of actual story missions with fixed maps, and depending upon your own successes or failures you could play those as soon as you reached them, or grind through a ton of side missions with random maps trying to give your soldiers more experience and getting more alien tech to turn into better weapons.

The only change that iOS XCOM will have in gameplay terms is that you might get more map repetition. There were a huge number of maps in the console/PC version, and I don't think I got a single duplicate on my first normal/ironman run. Hopefully they cut some from the UFO crash site maps rather than the alien abduction maps, as those were all in pretty much identical forests anyway.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

Bleak Gremlin

:) Thanks! That's just what I was looking to hear. I hoped of course, but couldn't find confirmation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Have you played it before? If you haven't I'd really recommend grabbing on pc or console first. You could probably pick it up for less $ too.

I feel like the iOS version is a nice addition for fans but I wouldn't want it to be my first xcom eu experience at all. It's pretty inferior to its previous incarnations.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

The number of maps doesn't affect game length at all. There was simply a pool of maps from which one would be drawn at random for your current mission. The spawn points on each map could be varied, for the player and the aliens, so even if a map came up a second time it would play out differently. There are only a very small number of actual story missions with fixed maps, and depending upon your own successes or failures you could play those as soon as you reached them, or grind through a ton of side missions with random maps trying to give your soldiers more experience and getting more alien tech to turn into better weapons.

The only change that iOS XCOM will have in gameplay terms is that you might get more map repetition. There were a huge number of maps in the console/PC version, and I don't think I got a single duplicate on my first normal/ironman run. Hopefully they cut some from the UFO crash site maps rather than the alien abduction maps, as those were all in pretty much identical forests anyway.

Really? On my campaign I got pretty sick of running into the same maps, so I can't imagine what that's like cut down. Ehh, maybe I'm overexaggerating how bad it was in my mind though.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

No, I found map repetition to be a pretty huge issue in the PC version too. The best I can say is that it was bad enough before that I don't think the reduced count actually makes it noticeably worse. You're playing the same maps a whole lot either way.

Krolm
Nov 10, 2004

Bleak Gremlin

NESguerilla posted:

Have you played it before? If you haven't I'd really recommend grabbing on pc or console first. You could probably pick it up for less $ too.

I feel like the iOS version is a nice addition for fans but I wouldn't want it to be my first xcom eu experience at all. It's pretty inferior to its previous incarnations.

I did finish the PC version, and I already felt that was over way too soon hence my worries :v: It's a great time to be a ipad owner with all these cool titles coming out at any rate!

Now if only a officially supported scummvm came out I could die happy!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Just upgraded to an iPhone 5 after have a vanilla 4 for three years, what are some 5 exclusive games I've probably missed?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Shwqa posted:

Ranger and Thief are the best damage dealers in the game. Thief relays more on criticals and double strike. Ranger can damage 5 enemies at once or deal the best DOT skill in the game. Have at least 1 on your team, both are good too.

When do you get the thief? Or are you talking about the rogue?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

omg chael crash posted:

Just upgraded to an iPhone 5 after have a vanilla 4 for three years, what are some 5 exclusive games I've probably missed?

Nothing? Nothing's really 5 exclusive; generally you'll just have all games simply run better.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Are there any good 4x style games that have a turn based multiplayer? I am looking for something that me and my brother can play back and forth can play at our leisure.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

Are there any good 4x style games that have a turn based multiplayer? I am looking for something that me and my brother can play back and forth can play at our leisure.

Star base Orion is a pretty full featured Master of Orion 2 clone.

http://appshopper.com/games/starbase-orion

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
Eclipse:
http://appshopper.com/games/eclipse-new-dawn-for-the-galaxy

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Eclipse is awesome, but keep in mind that it's a board game and not a traditional 4X at all.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Krolm posted:

I did finish the PC version, and I already felt that was over way too soon hence my worries :v: It's a great time to be a ipad owner with all these cool titles coming out at any rate!

Well from now on you play classic/ironman. Breezing though on normal can go pretty fast. Step up the difficulty and suddenly a great run comes to a crushing halt. I'm guessing they'll patch in the second wave options down the line too. The great thing about finishing the game once, is that you no longer need to care about seeing the ending, you can turn everything up to eleven and just enjoy failing miserably and restarting. It's a rare thing, a game where it is fun to lose, because you get a good story along the way.

NESguerilla is right though. The iOS XCOM is probably best for people that have already played it elsewhere. Those of us, like me, who love it so much we want it portable and don't mind some rough edges. If you are new to the game and have the option to play it on any other platform, that may be a better choice.

If anyone needs some clues on how to play, then you check out Beaglerush's YouTube channel. He's done several partial runs of ironman impossible which are ridiculously entertaining. One of the videos was linked earlier in the thread, but he's the man.

Stormfang1502 posted:

Star base Orion is a pretty full featured Master of Orion 2 clone.

http://appshopper.com/games/starbase-orion

This game is brilliant fun for a while, until you realise the AI is rubbish. It's designed to be played between human players though, and is still a work in progress. Definitely the game you are looking for though. Can also do co-op against AI, or a survival mode against AI, so you and your bro can work with or against each other as you please.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 21, 2013

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

petewhitley posted:

Could someone explain to me how iCloud syncing is supposed to work? Tried it for the first time with Xcom and I'm not getting anywhere. Logged into the same iTunes account on both iPhone/iPad, iCloud is "on" in settings, but I can't sync the saves. It has created separate iCloud saves for each device according to the save menus, but I can't access the save from the iPad on the iPhone and vice-versa. Of course I'm connected to wifi, etc. The basics seem to be covered in my eyes. I've given it several hours to update.

I can't figure this out either.

But I really want to.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've beaten Xcom twice now, once on normal (360) and another on whatever's next up in difficulty (Mac). I started a new "Impossible" game up on the iPad; I didn't select "Ironman" though. Is that only to disable save-scamming? So if you never reset missions in the first place it's a non-issue?

^^^ hadji for what's it worth, I was initially trying to save to iCloud via LTE/cellular service on the iPhone (I thought I was on wifi initially, but realized my iPhone wasn't). It would tell me it saved, but never updated the other device. I switched to wifi (both devices) and it worked almost instantly. I have pretty good cellular service around here, not sure what the deal was. Worth a shot.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 21, 2013

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Shwqa posted:

Paladin is a must. The huge passive threat and hp boost and the 1/2 damage shield are too amazing. Paladin will do poo poo damage all game though.

Ranger and Thief are the best damage dealers in the game. Thief relays more on criticals and double strike. Ranger can damage 5 enemies at once or deal the best DOT skill in the game. Have at least 1 on your team, both are good too.

Cleric or Druid are needed for crowd control. Cleric can reduce damage on up to 3 enemies can deal and this works on boss, however it doesn't help with spells. Clerics can also heal the party. Druid can make one enemy sleep for 10+ turns, but I don't believe this helps with bosses.

Once you got a tank, crowd hander, and damager then you are golden. The rest is up to you.

Best party is warrior, necromancer, hunter, bard (in this seat order at the table!). Last spot would go to druid for versatility & healing or to shaman if you want to max out your damage. Cleric is unnecessary. Thief seems good at first but single target damage in this game is infinitely inferior to AoE.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

heiden posted:

Best party is warrior, necromancer, hunter, bard (in this seat order at the table!). Last spot would go to druid for versatility & healing or to shaman if you want to max out your damage. Cleric is unnecessary. Thief seems good at first but single target damage in this game is infinitely inferior to AoE.

So since the Necro, Bard, and Shaman come later in the game. Whats the best type of party to have to get to that point?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm late to the Battle Academy Awesome party, but I'm here now, and wish I'd never waited. I'm still fumbling with selecting things, I think I've selected a unit, and go to move, and a whole different unit moves; tragedy ensues. I feel pretty dumb, but is there an 'undo last move' thing, so that I can not move the tank I just accidentally moved?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

porktree posted:

I'm late to the Battle Academy Awesome party, but I'm here now, and wish I'd never waited. I'm still fumbling with selecting things, I think I've selected a unit, and go to move, and a whole different unit moves; tragedy ensues. I feel pretty dumb, but is there an 'undo last move' thing, so that I can not move the tank I just accidentally moved?

There's no undo button. For a game so reliant on fog of war, that would be impossible to implement fairly. You'll get used to the controls though. Tapping the unit display to deselect the current one is the main thing to help out at the start.

I've still barely touched most of the campaigns, the multiplayer is just that good.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Parkingtigers posted:

There's no undo button. For a game so reliant on fog of war, that would be impossible to implement fairly. You'll get used to the controls though. Tapping the unit display to deselect the current one is the main thing to help out at the start.

I've still barely touched most of the campaigns, the multiplayer is just that good.
That makes sense - although I turn one more tank around while I'm trying to select the one next too it I'm going to scream.

I'm going to do a few campaigns and then leap into mp.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

heiden posted:

Why does nobody like the rogue? Potent stun, cheap attack that pretty much doubles damage and a passive that just up ups damage to rediculous levels by high level. No AOE is the big deal, they're basically mage sans aoe and no reliance on MP.

My favorite early party is Druid, Rogue, Paladin, Healer, Mage. Mage is AOE/Crazy Single Target/Stun, Healer sustains, Paladin tanks, Druid sustains MP/HP/Applies Bleed On Bosses/Sleeps Enemies, Rogue stuns and does singletarget damage.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Pladdicus posted:

Why does nobody like the rogue? Potent stun, cheap attack that pretty much doubles damage and a passive that just up ups damage to rediculous levels by high level. No AOE is the big deal, they're basically mage sans aoe and no reliance on MP.

AoE is the most powerful thing in this game with how many enemies you usually fight and it's also best for leveling up. Sure your Rogue can end up doing 1200 damage by turn 2, but your Hunter can do 900 x 5 at the same level and if need be, your Hunter can get as good single-target damage as your Rogue. Warrior can outdamage Rogue as well eventually + tank some.

As for which classes to pick before these become available, doesn't matter, you'll be replacing them soon enough. Druid's sleep is amazing early on though until your party slaughters everything, definitely pick that up.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

heiden posted:

AoE is the most powerful thing in this game with how many enemies you usually fight and it's also best for leveling up. Sure your Rogue can end up doing 1200 damage by turn 2, but your Hunter can do 900 x 5 at the same level and if need be, your Hunter can get as good single-target damage as your Rogue. Warrior can outdamage Rogue as well eventually + tank some.

As for which classes to pick before these become available, doesn't matter, you'll be replacing them soon enough. Druid's sleep is amazing early on though until your party slaughters everything, definitely pick that up.
AoE breaks sleep, which means your party actually takes damage. A combination of a Druid and a Rogue (and a Mage / some other stunner) means by turn 2 or 3, basically every enemy is stunned or asleep, and by rotating the knockout hit of the rogue (which also does fantastic damage) through to crit on sleeping enemies then re-stun, you can guarantee you never take a hit after the first few rounds. Like, never ever. Enemy strength doesn't even play into it, since Stun/Sleep sticks on everything that isn't a boss.

... that said, I expect an all-out damage party would be faster.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The only fights that are remotely difficult in Knights of Pen and Paper are single target. Two good AoE guys is enough because, really, if you try and do all the quests in order the game is ridiculously easy.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Infinity Blade 2 is on sale for a 99 cents. I've never played either, are they worth getting?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It's Punch Out with swords and touch screen controls. They're not bad games, a little repetitive and grindy but still fun.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Toebone posted:

Infinity Blade 2 is on sale for a 99 cents. I've never played either, are they worth getting?
It is worth $1 for sure. You don't need to play the first, and the second is immeasurably better. You will get at least $1 enjoyment out of this game. I probably had a good 8 hours with it. Click my ? as I believe I talked about it at some length earlier in the thread.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Badland just dropped to $2.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

That makes sense - although I turn one more tank around while I'm trying to select the one next too it I'm going to scream.

I'm going to do a few campaigns and then leap into mp.

I got a stylus and it helps a ton with this.

I am also working through the campaigns and am super stoked for MP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is Knights & Dragons any good? It looks kind of simple but interesting, however the screenshots don't really help in showing how it's actually played.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Hey guys my first ever game just hit the market today:

https://itun.es/us/46VqN.i

It's COMPLETELY free. It's called bitcrobes- it's a microorganism game. Kinda like physics based pacman with upgrades. Even if you just download it then delete it after 1 minute I'd still feel good that you took the time to play my little game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Coldrice posted:

Hey guys my first ever game just hit the market today:

https://itun.es/us/46VqN.i

It's COMPLETELY free. It's called bitcrobes- it's a microorganism game. Kinda like physics based pacman with upgrades. Even if you just download it then delete it after 1 minute I'd still feel good that you took the time to play my little game.
You had me at upgrades... Then I saw it's not available in Canada :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

You had me at upgrades... Then I saw it's not available in Canada :(

Oh crap!! Ahh!! I'll fix that ASAP!!! I changed it in the App Store but I don't know how long it takes to actually work

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 21, 2013

• Locked thread