Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

JgPz posted:

Next new purchase is gonna be one of GlenDronach 12, Aberlour A'Bunadh, or Glenfarclas 15. Lovin that sweetness.

I can vouch for the Glendronach 12. You'll not find a better sherried whisky at that price point. A real good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
I'd vouch for the Glenfarclas instead but only because I'm not partial to how the taste of booze marks Glendronach 12, 15 and 18yo bottlings similar to Auchentoshans. Then again a friend of mine is a fan of both Auchentoshan and Glendronach so I guess it would depend on whether a stronger taste of booze (little to do with bottling sterngth and more to do with distillery style) is a good or a bad thing to your own tastebuds.

Let's drink: Lagavulin Elements of Islay Lg2 (Specialty Drinks, 58%)
A cask strength young Lagavulin that has a lot in common with the official 12 year old releases. Peat with gasoline & rubbing alcohol, little sea water and kelp, and a touch of sweet oak remniscent of Pommac soda. Next to a similarly young and fresh-smelling Caol Ila 11yo from Adelphi the Lg2 gives off a lemon skin scent whereas the CI tends more to pine. Both are heavily peaty and phenoly but the CI is sootier and lacks the rubbing alcohol and oil rig notes. Nosing this one next to the 16yo distillery bottling it's interesting how it's very effortless to spot the same aromas in both with the refinement of age settling them down in the 16 and bringing up richer oak from the longer time spent in the cask while taking away the fresh lemon and dry hay notes of the younger one. On the palate some alcohol and peat burn, both manageable even at full strength although this does numb the mouth some. There's no tar here, rather just medicinal alcohols and crude oil. According to the bottler this is "slightly less 'full' or 'wide' than the OB" so I'm looking forward to comparing this with two different OB 12yo:s. Serge of Whiskyfun fame mentioned sweetness in the OBs which I can't find in the Lg2 but definitely can in the 16yo OB, which might account for the bottler's notes above. Water breaks up the gasoline/rubbing alcohol to introduce more smoky, charred and hay notes rather more like burning grease and boot polish than the oil industry smells of the unwatered. The mouthfeel is nicer after a teaspoon of water but the taste definitely suffers, breaking down in consistency.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I was at a beer festival here in Rochester, and there was the head of a new distillery in town passing out cards. Black Button Distillery, local grains. Immediately (rather, as of October) they'll be selling unaged gin and moonshine, but longer term plans involve wheated bourbon, an American malt whiskey, and maybe rye. Of course, who knows if it will be any good, but it's cool to see a local distillery get started.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Killer robot posted:

I was at a beer festival here in Rochester, and there was the head of a new distillery in town passing out cards. Black Button Distillery, local grains. Immediately (rather, as of October) they'll be selling unaged gin and moonshine, but longer term plans involve wheated bourbon, an American malt whiskey, and maybe rye. Of course, who knows if it will be any good, but it's cool to see a local distillery get started.

See if you can get Hudson for cheaper than they gouge you for the 375 ml they charge out of state.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Some days life is good. A good friend of mine is a long distance truck driver who is only home for maybe a day or two a month. He calls me up and says he wants to drink some scotch with me. I tell me that sounds like a plan, but I don't have any since I haven't bought my bottle yet. No worries, he asks what to get and says he'll just bring it over.

I told him Glenlivet 12, he made a slight error and got Glenfiddich 15. Oh my god this stuff is loving delicious! I can't believe I avoided scotch for this long after the horrible experience with Johnny Walker. I'm have another glass or two on Father's Day and try and pay more attention to the individual notes, but I thought it was very smooth and have a berry/cinnamon/cake combination going on. The bottle is almost done so I'm going to need more soon, but I doubt I'll be buying this one again for a while simply because I want to explore.

I like the sweetness and how easy it was to drink, but I think for my next scotch i'd like something a little more dry and at least a little more smokey.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

rxcowboy posted:

Some days life is good. A good friend of mine is a long distance truck driver who is only home for maybe a day or two a month. He calls me up and says he wants to drink some scotch with me. I tell me that sounds like a plan, but I don't have any since I haven't bought my bottle yet. No worries, he asks what to get and says he'll just bring it over.

I told him Glenlivet 12, he made a slight error and got Glenfiddich 15. Oh my god this stuff is loving delicious! I can't believe I avoided scotch for this long after the horrible experience with Johnny Walker. I'm have another glass or two on Father's Day and try and pay more attention to the individual notes, but I thought it was very smooth and have a berry/cinnamon/cake combination going on. The bottle is almost done so I'm going to need more soon, but I doubt I'll be buying this one again for a while simply because I want to explore.

I like the sweetness and how easy it was to drink, but I think for my next scotch i'd like something a little more dry and at least a little more smokey.

Glenfiddich has very little smoke compared with a lot of other Scotches. Try to look for a Glengoyne, AFAIK they use no peat at all in the drying of their barley.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

rxcowboy posted:

Is this thread appropriate to discuss bourbon? I hope so. My experience with bourbon has been pretty limited, before I did shots of JB when I was younger and drank Makers in soda, never straight though.

Decided to take the plunge and buy a bottle of Evan Williams Black Label because it's been consistently reviewed as a great starter bourbon and I can see why. I like it, easy to drink straight. My only complaint is that I think I'd prefer something with the scales tilted more towards spice than pure sweetness, so I'll be trying more rye prominent bourbons and "heavier" bourbons next.

Other good options for this include:
  • Bulleit Rye - not a Bourbon, but instead a Rye. If you like spiciness in your American Whiskey, then Ryes may be more your thing.
  • Rittenhouse Rye - a delicious, cheap as gently caress, Rye that I drink the majority of the time. It's also 100 Proof so it'll be a bit stiff.
  • Blanton's Bourbon - delicious Bourbon and the originator of the 'single barrel Bourbon whiskey'. An easy drinker, I usually just drink the stuff neat. A little pricier than the first two though. Bottles usually go from $40-$65 depending on taxing in your area.

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
I'm looking for a gift for the missus, who is a light dabbler in whiskey and scotch. We like Yamazaki, we really love Laphroig, and Maker's is our 'slummin it' whiskey of choice. I was thinking about grabbing a bottle of Whistle Pig after seeing it on Breaking Bad and reading some solid reviews that compared rye whiskeys to scotch. Solid purchase, or does anyone have some recommendations in the $50-$70 range?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Luegene Cards posted:

I'm looking for a gift for the missus, who is a light dabbler in whiskey and scotch. We like Yamazaki, we really love Laphroig, and Maker's is our 'slummin it' whiskey of choice. I was thinking about grabbing a bottle of Whistle Pig after seeing it on Breaking Bad and reading some solid reviews that compared rye whiskeys to scotch. Solid purchase, or does anyone have some recommendations in the $50-$70 range?
My random suggestion for today is Clynelish 14yr.

My not so random suggestion is Compass Box anything in the specified price range. Oak Cross or Spice Tree, doesn't really matter which.

Only suggesting readily available stuff because I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 17, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Additionally, Peat Monster is spectacular for a smokey blended scotch.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Is Bulleit Rye a good indication of what I can expect from the genre? I can't say I dislike it exactly, but I'm definitely not craving a 2nd glass the majority of the time. I expected a bit of spice but I'm mostly just picking up a whole lot of sweetness. I'm terrible at picking up on the nuances of the whiskeys I like, I just know I love all the smoky, peaty goodness I can get, and I prefer sweeter notes to be much more subdued.

It may be that rye is not for me. I love bourbon and I love a lot of the scotches I've tried (Glenmorangie La Santa was also too sweet for me) so figured I'd try and expand my horizons, but I'd like to know if I'd just be wasting money on a different bottle of rye.

e: I'm having some Bulleit now and I think the thing that's turning me off is how much it reminds me of Fireball. I'm just getting this huge cinnamon blast where I think others are talking about spice. I could see this being a great introductory whiskey for those (like a lot of my friends) who drink a shitload of fireball and nothing else except Coors Light, but I doubt I'll buy any more of it.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 17, 2013

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Inspector 34 posted:

Is Bulleit Rye a good indication of what I can expect from the genre? I can't say I dislike it exactly, but I'm definitely not craving a 2nd glass the majority of the time. I expected a bit of spice but I'm mostly just picking up a whole lot of sweetness. I'm terrible at picking up on the nuances of the whiskeys I like, I just know I love all the smoky, peaty goodness I can get, and I prefer sweeter notes to be much more subdued.

It may be that rye is not for me. I love bourbon and I love a lot of the scotches I've tried (Glenmorangie La Santa was also too sweet for me) so figured I'd try and expand my horizons, but I'd like to know if I'd just be wasting money on a different bottle of rye.

e: I'm having some Bulleit now and I think the thing that's turning me off is how much it reminds me of Fireball. I'm just getting this huge cinnamon blast where I think others are talking about spice. I could see this being a great introductory whiskey for those (like a lot of my friends) who drink a shitload of fireball and nothing else except Coors Light, but I doubt I'll buy any more of it.

Briefly put, no Bulleit Rye is not a good representation of the genre. Bulleit is unique in that they use a lot more Rye in their mash bill than most (>90% IIRC). This is what will bring out that spiciness that you have compared to Fireball. Most of my experience with introducing people to Bulleit seems to be a 70/30 split where 70% love it and 30% couldn't care less about it.

The Rye whiskies that I believe is probably most representative would be:
  • Rittenhouse Rye - Rittenhouse is a Heaven Hill product, most notably known as the makers of Evan Williams Bourbon and Elijah Craig Bourbon
  • Sazerac Rye - made by Buffalo Trace, most notably known as makers of the source whiskey for Pappy Van Winkle Bourbons and Rye (among other things)

Ryes are only recently coming back into popularity (like last 10 years recent). For a long time, the only widely available product was Old Overholt Rye. It's not a bad Rye, but it doesn't really taste like Rye to me. Apparently after Jim Beam took over the product some 40-50 years ago (pulling numbers out of my rear end), they changed the mash bill in some meaningful way and it is now no longer as delicious as it used to be.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

rufius posted:

Briefly put, no Bulleit Rye is not a good representation of the genre. Bulleit is unique in that they use a lot more Rye in their mash bill than most (>90% IIRC). This is what will bring out that spiciness that you have compared to Fireball. Most of my experience with introducing people to Bulleit seems to be a 70/30 split where 70% love it and 30% couldn't care less about it.

The Rye whiskies that I believe is probably most representative would be:
  • Rittenhouse Rye - Rittenhouse is a Heaven Hill product, most notably known as the makers of Evan Williams Bourbon and Elijah Craig Bourbon
  • Sazerac Rye - made by Buffalo Trace, most notably known as makers of the source whiskey for Pappy Van Winkle Bourbons and Rye (among other things)
It's really hard to outright say a rye whiskey will be spicy based solely on its mashbill. Templeton Rye, like Bulleit Rye uses the same 95% rye recipe from LDI, but it is quite mild compared to most. Jefferson Straight Rye, which is 100% rye, is less spicy than most typical bourbons. I *think* but am not sure that Jefferson's gets its rye distillate from Alberta Distillers...likely the same as Whistlepig.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 17, 2013

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

kidsafe posted:

It's really hard to outright say a rye whiskey will be spicy based solely on its mashbill. Templeton Rye, like Bulleit Rye uses the same 95% rye recipe from LDI, but it is quite mild compared to most. Jefferson Straight Rye, which is 100% rye, is less spicy than most typical bourbons. I *think* but am not sure that Jefferson's gets its rye distillate from Alberta Distillers...likely the same as Whistlepig.

I didn't realize that about Templeton. I find it to be a drinkable but unremarkable Rye personally... I haven't had Jefferson yet mostly because bartender friends keep steering me away from it.

Regarding mashbill content, I should have stated that my observations are anecdotal, not necessarily factual.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Politicalrancor posted:

See if you can get Hudson for cheaper than they gouge you for the 375 ml they charge out of state.

Sadly, Hudson is just as expensive in state. I'd try it at its price for 750ml, but 375 I still haven't tried. The guy running the new place said he's aiming for more reasonable prices, but we'll see how it works out.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I've really enjoyed Thomas Handy and Masterson Rye.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Politicalrancor posted:

I've really enjoyed Thomas Handy and Masterson Rye.

It's interesting you group those since Handy is a very distinct American Rye and Masterson is a good Canadian Rye. Both are delicious.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Thanks guys, I'll have to check out one or two of those before I give up on rye altogether then.

I realize that comparing the Bulleit to Fireball was maybe a little harsh, it's not nearly that bad!

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty new to whisky and I'm deciding on what to get after finishing a bottle of Yamazaki, which was great. I was recommended Glen Grant 10, and the thimbleful I tried was pretty tasty. I figured I should hold off buying until I fly to London in a week or so, so I can try and pick it up in duty free, but I'm not sure if the airport would have it. Are there any similar whiskys that might be more readily available?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

breathstealer posted:

I'm pretty new to whisky and I'm deciding on what to get after finishing a bottle of Yamazaki, which was great. I was recommended Glen Grant 10, and the thimbleful I tried was pretty tasty. I figured I should hold off buying until I fly to London in a week or so, so I can try and pick it up in duty free, but I'm not sure if the airport would have it. Are there any similar whiskys that might be more readily available?
Glen Grant 10yr is so common...skip it and try something unique to Duty Free like Balvenie [12/16yr] Triple Cask. Heathrow has World of Whiskies...I could stare at their shelves for hours.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 18, 2013

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

kidsafe posted:

Glen Grant 10yr is so common...skip it and try something unique to Duty Free like Balvenie [12/16yr] Triple Cask. Heathrow has World of Whiskies...I could stare at their shelves for hours.

And free tasters. It's really awesome on long layovers.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

rufius posted:

[*]Rittenhouse Rye - a delicious, cheap as gently caress, Rye that I drink the majority of the time. It's also 100 Proof so it'll be a bit stiff.
[/list]

Rittenhouse, Redbreast 12 year and Old Overlholt are all i'll ever need as far as whiskey/rye/bourbon goes.

Nothing else compares at their price points honestly...especially Rittenhouse. Although there is a bar near me that has Redbreast 12 for 5$ a shot, which is a ridiculous deal.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

vivisectvnv posted:

Rittenhouse, Redbreast 12 year and Old Overlholt are all i'll ever need as far as whiskey/rye/bourbon goes.

Nothing else compares at their price points honestly...especially Rittenhouse. Although there is a bar near me that has Redbreast 12 for 5$ a shot, which is a ridiculous deal.

Wouldn't you want a bourbon to complete your trifecta instead of two rye's and an Irish whiskey?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

rufius posted:

It's interesting you group those since Handy is a very distinct American Rye and Masterson is a good Canadian Rye. Both are delicious.

oh that's just what I've been drinking lately.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

Tasted Highland Park Loki out of a whim today because I spotted it on the shelf of a nearby bar. Reminds me of Hakushu 12 with more coastal notes and additional spiciness. Notably hollow and fleeting aftertaste. At 140€ a bottle I feel exactly like I feel after trying a glass of HP Thor last year: a good whisky but price range by taste should be closer to their 18yo (around 70€). At 140€ for what could easily be found in a lucky IB single cask release for much less only an idiot would consider it a good purchase.

Sure you might guess from the look of this thing that you might end up paying premium for a portable hat rack from China, but in case you had any doubts, let me assure you that's the case

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 20, 2013

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Went to my B&M last night, and they had the Highland Park Loki locked up in their glass case. I stared at it for a good while, and the bought a bottle of Blantons, and a Balvenie Doublewood sampler.

If I could justify the cash, I'd buy it anyways. Even with the reviews that it's decent, but overpriced.

Also, did you wind up tasting the Highland Park Thor? If so, how did it compare?

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

I don't remember the Thor that well anymore since it was only one glass and I had it last summer, but along with it I tasted several other upmarket whiskys like Caol Ila 25, Linlithgow 28 and some others I can no longer remember and among them the Thor didn't appear to be particularly complex or memorable. A sort of a letdown since it's named after a dude who wasn't exactly known for being mild mannered and bland.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Interesting, your take on the Thor seems to match what I've read other places. I'd love to give them a try just to say I did though. drat their marketing department and my love of comics.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
My degree is in Folklore and Mythology. I studied Old Norse for a year in College. I am a giant loving nerd and played a Odin in a multi-year mythology pastiche larp Here is a picture of me and my friend who played Loki (these were modernly costumed/timeless interpretations. We have our respective runes Othala and Thorn carved into our wrists.

So long story short, HP's definitely getting my money when Odin comes out.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

You two are such marks. :D

Can anybody tell me anything about what to expect from the Arran distillery? I ordered a small sample of their 10yo cask strength but have no idea what it's going to be like, just thought it was time for us to be introduced.

Evil_Penguin_v2 posted:

Ardbeg and Laphroaig 10 year selections are 2 of my favs. I am very interested in the Lg1 and Lg2 as Lagavulin hasn't been topped on my list yet, I am sure as you can tell these sound like drinks right up my alley as i quite enjoy the peat and smoke that comes from them. I have been on a mission to find the 12 year cask strength but no avail in Dayton so far. Also the bottles they used piked my interest, using medicinal shaped bottles is just downright cool.
Coming back to this post to say if you dig the Ardbeg 10 and the Laphroaig 10 and think they might be even better with a bit more kick, then young cask strength islays are exactly for you. You're unlikely to forget your first one because it's sort of like finding out one day that your dog is actually a wolf.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Deleuzionist posted:

Can anybody tell me anything about what to expect from the Arran distillery? I ordered a small sample of their 10yo cask strength but have no idea what it's going to be like, just thought it was time for us to be introduced.

Had a 7 yo cask strength from them in a society bottle. Extremely rich sweetness, almost like chocolate cake.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
On a budget note, before I knew anything about anything, I somehow got into my head that Old Grand-dad was "drunk under a bridge" hobo whiskey and refused to try it. But since trying more and learning more, I picked up a bottle last night. I would say it compares favorably to 101, which isn't something I'll say about a lot of stuff (because I really like 101).

I was kind of surprised to find out it was a Beam product, since I usually prefer Heaven Hill's stuff, for whatever reason.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Huxley posted:

On a budget note, before I knew anything about anything, I somehow got into my head that Old Grand-dad was "drunk under a bridge" hobo whiskey and refused to try it. But since trying more and learning more, I picked up a bottle last night. I would say it compares favorably to 101, which isn't something I'll say about a lot of stuff (because I really like 101).

I was kind of surprised to find out it was a Beam product, since I usually prefer Heaven Hill's stuff, for whatever reason.

Eh it wasn't a Beam product always. And unlike Old Overholt, Beam has largely left the OGD production alone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Old Granddad is fun when you want to feel like a cowboy but I personally wouldn't compare it to 101 or anything over $20/bottle.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

wormil posted:

Old Granddad is fun when you want to feel like a cowboy but I personally wouldn't compare it to 101 or anything over $20/bottle.

Had OGD BiB?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

wormil posted:

OGD 114 is outstanding, and one of the best bargains in bourbon, full stop.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, the Bonded and the 114 are both really excellent whiskeys.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Our stores only carry one type.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I should have said it was the 100, not the 80. I put down my fifth bottle of 101 in a row and got it instead, and wasn't mad at myself after, which is I guess the best review I can give it.

I wish I had the taste to pick up nuances, but I only ever seem to taste the big notes, and basically nothing on the front 1/3 of my tongue at all. I get plenty of nose, finish and texture, but the roll it around part just tastes like water to me. Maybe I ought to be drinking corn liquor to save money.

E: Or more practice. :-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NightConqueror posted:

Try Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand Dad 100. Both are spicy and excellent bourbons at any price level (and both are cheap, too).
Anyone have any takes on Wild Turkey 80? It's all our liquor stores carry.