Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

smashpro1 posted:

Wait, why are there two Iron Men? Is one of them Rhodey?

I think it's Iron Lad.

e: new page panels:

Mighty Avengers #32 & #33.

Absorbing Man gets a hold of a (the?) Cosmic Cube and...

Avengers to the rescue!

Whatever happened to Stature, anyway?

Also bonus digs at the competition:

Vision gets "Reality Punched" too. He gets split into Iron Lad and, erm, Vision.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socalled
Sep 2, 2011

Yes, but you'll never get it.
Iron Lad came later. Most likely it's Rhodey.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

socalled posted:

Iron Lad came later. Most likely it's Rhodey.

Since the Silver Centurion armor is there it means that it is post Rhodey putting on the armor. So this could take place during the time both were Iron Man.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I have the comic in question and it is in fact Rhodey. He was the Iron Man on the West Coast team. Fun fact: he did not tell anyone that he wasn't Tony, which led to some confusion and anger and accusations of impersonation. Rhodey had to point out that he helped hold up a drat mountain for most of those people before they finally gave him some slack on the issue.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

KayTee posted:

Whatever happened to Stature, anyway?

According to FF she died. It was never shown on panel, but Doom had something to do with it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

bobkatt013 posted:

According to FF she died. It was never shown on panel, but Doom had something to do with it.
She died in Young Avengers: Children's Crusade, which was a terrible and nonsensical piece of poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

She died in Young Avengers: Children's Crusade, which was a terrible and nonsensical piece of poo poo.

?? Never heard of it and assume you are making it up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bobkatt013 posted:

?? Never heard of it and assume you are making it up.

It's also where Scarlet Witch gave Rictor his mutant powers back, and Speed and Wiccan were confirmed to have the souls of her fake kids or whatever. The ones that died and kicked off Day of M.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

It's also where Scarlet Witch gave Rictor his mutant powers back, and Speed and Wiccan were confirmed to have the souls of her fake kids or whatever. The ones that died and kicked off Day of M.

Once again that sounds stupid and no one would write it.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

CobiWann posted:

Um...it was Quicksilver, right?

I love how hawkeye is all ready with his bow drawn, as if there is anything he can do.

Fighting a speedster with a bow is like fighting a mosquito with a mail bomb. But he's all, GUYS I GOT THIS!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ignite Memories posted:

I love how hawkeye is all ready with his bow drawn, as if there is anything he can do.

Fighting a speedster with a bow is like fighting a mosquito with a mail bomb. But he's all, GUYS I GOT THIS!

Sonic arrow, Quicksilver's down. I like Quicksilver, but he's no Flash.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Boomerang arrow. Quicksilver dodges to the side and proceeds to lecture Hawkeye with something like...

Ignite Memories posted:

Fighting a speedster with a bow is like fighting a mosquito with a mail bomb.

And then the boomerang arrow comes back! Takes him down with a shot to the back of the skull!

Not really a comic book PANEL per se but I really enjoyed this. From the letters page of Hawkguy #5.

Hawkguy wearing an eye patch would be cool but I think it would interfere with his aim?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 21, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Defiance Industries posted:

Boomerang arrow. Quicksilver dodges to the side and proceeds to lecture Hawkeye with something like...

There's this great panel in JLA/Avengers where Hawkeye shoots a boomerang arrow at the Flash, who catches it when it loops round and says, "Sorry, but I've got a bit of experience with boomerangs," while Hawkeye's muttering about how would've worked on the Whizzer.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The Flash has experience. Quicksilver has douchebaggery. Advantage: Hawkeye.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Metal Loaf posted:

There's this great panel in JLA/Avengers where Hawkeye shoots a boomerang arrow at the Flash, who catches it when it loops round and says, "Sorry, but I've got a bit of experience with boomerangs," while Hawkeye's muttering about how would've worked on the Whizzer.

That's why you make it a SONIC boomerang arrow. :getin:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Or use land mines and a sword

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bobkatt013 posted:

Comicbook physics and all but that wouldn't actually stop the Flash. I mean literally all that would have done is had a guy moving at the speed of sound slam into you but with a sword in his chest.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

SirDan3k posted:

Comicbook physics and all but that wouldn't actually stop the Flash. I mean literally all that would have done is had a guy moving at the speed of sound slam into you but with a sword in his chest.

Super-speeders should be almost invincible, period. It's a bad superpower when put under scrutiny.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Mister Roboto posted:

Super-speeders should be almost invincible, period. It's a bad superpower when put under scrutiny.

Oh god... I don't even want to try and relate the story about when I was running a Superhero Tabletop RPG and one guy who thumbed through a high-school physics book onc wanted to play a speedster and wanted a whole host of extra powers (like invincibility) for free, otherwise his character "wouldn't be realistic". I got essays from this guy trying to explain inertia and mass equations just to get two free levels of super-strength.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lurdiak posted:

That'd be a good idea. The sonic arrow alone has the issue of, no matter how fast the arrow, Quicksilver could easily follow Clint drawing, nocking and loosing the thing anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Once again that sounds stupid and no one would write it.
Look, if you're going U C ME away bad comics, you can't do this:

bobkatt013 posted:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

CobiWann posted:

Um...it was Quicksilver, right?

Yep. One of the first issues I ever bought, this; it was great to see such a breadth of characters.

smashpro1 posted:

Wait, why are there two Iron Men? Is one of them Rhodey?

Yep! In the context of the story Tony had only recently begun being Iron Man again, with the advent of the Silver Centurion armor, but since this was a 'gather everyone into groups and head off to fight in four different places' story they needed more bodies, so Tony called Rhodey back in.

This didn't, IIRC, jibe entirely with the characterization of Rhodey in the Iron Man book, as he'd sworn off wearing armor again for the time being, but it was fun so who gives a poo poo?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm so out of the loop, so Meteorite/Moonstone from the Thunderbolts is Captain Marvel now? Or was Carol Moonstone at some point in the past that I'm not aware of?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm so out of the loop, so Meteorite/Moonstone from the Thunderbolts is Captain Marvel now? Or was Carol Moonstone at some point in the past that I'm not aware of?

That's from the period when Norman Osborn had his Dark Avengers, with various villains taking the roles of Avengers. Venom was Spider-Man, Bullseye was Hawkeye, Moonstone was Captain Marvel, and so on.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Suleman posted:

That's from the period when Norman Osborn had his Dark Avengers, with various villains taking the roles of Avengers. Venom was Spider-Man, Bullseye was Hawkeye, Moonstone was Captain Marvel, and so on.

Did Baron Zemo sue Osborn?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jerusalem posted:

Norman Osborn ran a team of Avengers a while back that were all supervillains dressed up as heroes for the purposes of winning over the public and just being a general dick.

Moonstone was "Ms Marvel"
Bullseye was "Hawkeye"
Noh-Varr was "Captain Marvel"
Venom was "Spider-Man"
and Sentry Ares were just themselves.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Moonstone took the guise of Ms. Marvel in Norman Osborne's Dark Avengers, during Dark Reign. More recently she ended up in the costume due to some reality-shift thing in Thunderbolts, IIRC, and was all "What the hell is it with putting me in this costume?"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mister Roboto posted:

Northstar actually skirts this, as his mutant power explicitly makes him more durable the faster he goes. He could theoretically go much faster than he does, but doesn't because a.) breathing would be nearly impossible (and the durability only scales so much) and b.) it'd wreck everything around him.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 22, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Probably the best aspect of Quicksilver's superspeed for me is that - while he isn't anywhere near as fast as say The Flash - superspeed is his natural state of being. So when he's acting "normal" he's actually very deliberately acting/talking/moving in what feels like slow-motion to him. So people would complain about his arrogance and short temper when he was actually going incredibly out of his way to bring himself down to their level.

Peter David did some pretty awesome stuff with him in X-Factor, including the issue where he learns to play the piano, but in general he just kind of gets treated by writers as "Not-Flash".

Edit: In fact, here is the scene - a post-mission "counseling" session with Doc. Samson:

From X-Factor 87

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 22, 2013

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

There was a nifty scene in one of the Ultimates books where Quicksilver was worked up about something and Magneto yelled at him because nobody could actually hear him when he got in that state.

Come to think of it, this may have been in Ultimatum.

Which makes it the only nifty scene in there.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yep. One of the first issues I ever bought, this; it was great to see such a breadth of characters.

Yep! In the context of the story Tony had only recently begun being Iron Man again, with the advent of the Silver Centurion armor, but since this was a 'gather everyone into groups and head off to fight in four different places' story they needed more bodies, so Tony called Rhodey back in.

This didn't, IIRC, jibe entirely with the characterization of Rhodey in the Iron Man book, as he'd sworn off wearing armor again for the time being, but it was fun so who gives a poo poo?

You forgot the best part: this story starts with an all-Avengers softball game. West Coast vs. East Coast.

And if I'm not mistaken, after fighting Freedom Force, government troops, and Quicksilver, Hawkeye asks if they can pick up the game where they left off.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

You forgot the best part: this story starts with an all-Avengers softball game. West Coast vs. East Coast.

And if I'm not mistaken, after fighting Freedom Force, government troops, and Quicksilver, Hawkeye asks if they can pick up the game where they left off.

Yep! East v. West softball became a tradition in the Avengers annuals, actually, usually followed by Hawkeye grilling burgers.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Internet Wizard posted:

There was a nifty scene in one of the Ultimates books where Quicksilver was worked up about something and Magneto yelled at him because nobody could actually hear him when he got in that state.

Come to think of it, this may have been in Ultimatum.

Which makes it the only nifty scene in there.

It was House of M. There were no nifty scenes in Ultimatum.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Gavok posted:

It was House of M. There were no nifty scenes in Ultimatum.

That makes more sense.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT

Internet Wizard posted:

The idea of Magneto yelling at Quicksilver because of a behavior he's been told to correct again and again tickles the hell out of me. Other dads have to tell their sons to speak up and stop mumbling.

He probably got on Wanda's case all the time for daydreaming, too.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

PantsOptional posted:

and screaming out AND I CHOOSE THOR FOR OUR TEAM!

followed by:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Who is that standing between Cap and Black Knight?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Who is that standing between Cap and Black Knight?

Iron Man. That is Tony in the Silver Centurion armor.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

bobkatt013 posted:

Iron Man. That is Tony in the Silver Centurion armor.

Thanks. So that's Rhodes on the far right, in the regular Iron Man armor, then, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks. So that's Rhodes on the far right, in the regular Iron Man armor, then, right?

Yep this is right after the Stane saga.

• Locked thread