Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Is this the game where you can play as Solid Snake and skate on a Metal Gear? If so, show that.

Since I'm just catching up on all of these, I have a question: Of all these games, which games have clearly wasted all of their money on the soundtrack licensing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Mexican Sandwich posted:

Is this the game where you can play as Solid Snake and skate on a Metal Gear? If so, show that.

Since I'm just catching up on all of these, I have a question: Of all these games, which games have clearly wasted all of their money on the soundtrack licensing?

A: I know about the special character, but I don't know about the other part. Again, if anyone played this and knows how to do that (if you can do that), help me out.

B: All of them. Ok, not literally, but definitely Jonny Moseley (they wasted more money getting his name and image, probably), X Games Skate, Freestyle Metal X, Splashdown, and probably Dave Mirra 2.

It's weird, it's like all these games rip off a bunch of stuff but never the right parts. Seriously, go watch old Tony Hawk videos. Watch the stuff you can do in those. In Evo Skate, I honestly don't think you could get a 10x combo because the grind/manual systems will have screwed up on you by then.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 29, 2013

Pikag
Jun 5, 2009

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I'm not sure about this game, but in Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, you could skate on this same level and one other, I believe.

blanktester
Aug 28, 2012

Also I saw my hand on blood lying on the ground, and I saw someone with device's like pile bunker and grind with evil smile
I come back, so much great stuff has happened... You guys are too loving funny. I don't know how to be funny like kids these days.

Serious George posted:

Okay, so clearly in that last level you have traversed the boundary between games and ended up in Morrowind, chasing Dagoth Ur around.

Nice reference. Gotta say though, Rick McCrank would kill Dagoth Ur and the Almsivi in like, a single loving grind.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:
If Rick McCrank were a superhero, his catchphrase would be "Time to McCrank up the volume"

Serious George
Dec 29, 2010

In Britain, it means 'cigarettes'.

blanktester posted:

I come back, so much great stuff has happened... You guys are too loving funny. I don't know how to be funny like kids these days.

Nice reference. Gotta say though, Rick McCrank would kill Dagoth Ur and the Almsivi in like, a single loving grind.

Better yet, said grind could be performed on the spinal column of Akulakhan there. Grinding bones like in every inevitable Museum level but with a fresh new take.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
You know what you didn't know you needed in these extreme sports games? Boss battles.

Evolution Skateboarding Part 2: Castle & Trailer

Text Link

Also, I finally got some newer software and newer render settings so now you get what I had never been able to give you before: HD! And now you know what that means: after I'm done with whatever the last game is, I'll start doing HD remasterings of the old game LPs with audio commentary by blanktester and I over each episode. This thread gets twice the content! How about that?

It hardly does poo poo I know, but it makes me feel complete so just go with it

Insetik fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 2, 2013

Galeboomer
Dec 6, 2011
Huh, I guess the Castlevania: Rondo of Blood boss theme is one of the few songs I never expected to hear in an extreme sports game. Then again, I didn't expect boss fights that don't involve busting sick tricks in a one-on-one score competition or a race. :v:

But man, I gotta be honest. The way the game displays tricks and point values in the upper portion of the screen really makes the screen seem too busy and it seems hard to focus on where you're going. Does it get pretty distracting during actual gameplay?

Galeboomer fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 3, 2013

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Galeboomer posted:

But man, I gotta be honest. The way the game displays tricks and point values in the upper portion of the screen really makes the screen seem too busy and it seems hard to focus on where you're going. Does it get pretty distracting during actual gameplay?

I don't really get distracted by any of that. It's never been a problem with me. Then again, it's usually because I'm wondering why my combo with 10 tricks in it is only a 6x combo or something like that. This game...

Also, apparently, Konami made another skating game with the same engine and the same level of quality. And it's a Disney tie-in. Needless to say, I'm probably not going to play it because
A) it doesn't feature Rick McCrank
B) I am not walking into Vintage Stock to buy a Disney game -I have standards- and
C) Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure is better.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Oh man, I've got it. The reason Rick McCrank can affect past, present, and future; the reason he can survive huge falls and getting hit by cars and run over by semis...

He is Richard McCrank of the clan McCrank: The Highlander!

PS "On the Origin of Style" was amazing and I'm sad I didnt think of it first.

a very nice paella
Oct 12, 2012

Kapitalism

Ovues posted:

Also, apparently, Konami made another skating game with the same engine and the same level of quality. And it's a Disney tie-in. Needless to say, I'm probably not going to play it because
A) it doesn't feature Rick McCrank
B) I am not walking into Vintage Stock to buy a Disney game -I have standards- and
C) Disney's Extreme Skate Adventure is better.
There are more Disney skateboarding games than I thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Extremely_Goofy_Skateboarding

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Krokerik posted:

There are more Disney skateboarding games than I thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_Extremely_Goofy_Skateboarding

Fine, so be it, I'll start a knockoff "Disney-sponsored skateboarding games" megathread. I'll get at least 3 months of stuff out of it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Double post, but a few sort-of-big-things.

I read from a youtube comment that there's an Xbox...uhhh...original-only game called Toxic Grind that seems absolutely over the top and probably bad. I totally want to play it, but I don't have an Xbox. I know there's other console-exclusive titles out there for consoles I don't have, like 1080 Avalanche for the Gamecube, and a bunch of PC games that have been mentioned, so I'm just throwing this out there: If anyone wants to do a game or something else for this thread, go ahead. I have only a few of all the extreme-sports-knockoff games in existence, and I'm probably not going off of PS2/PS1/maybe N64 games anytime soon.

And doing Skype-guest-commentary is probably going to happen again considering that blanktester and I are separated for the rest of the summer and we'll be doing skype calls to keep up a somewhat-regular schedule. So if you're interested in that, then yes, we'll be trying again. I don't have SA platinum, but you can either add me on skype as insetik fourtyseven (like a bad action hero), pm me your handle on youtube, or just post it in the thread. Coming up in the game list is Evolution Skateboarding route 2, Matt Hoffman Pro BMX 2, Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild, and maybe Kelly Slater, for reference. And I still have the people from Freekstyle on there (even though I think I drove Thornbrain to madness).

And finally, next episode, Tinker is back, so unsubscribe now if you want to avoid him. Also, he may start living with blanktester, alan and I come August.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well, I quite enjoy Airblade on the PS2, so if my Dazzle plays ball and I can actually get past a particular level I'm stuck on I could give that a go :)

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

I want to believe Blanktester is going on a pilgrimage to seek out Rick McCrank so he may learn to be XTREME from the master. Will there be wacky adventures and kooky hijinks? You bet your rear end!

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, I quite enjoy Airblade on the PS2, so if my Dazzle plays ball and I can actually get past a particular level I'm stuck on I could give that a go :)

I've seen that game, and it looks pretty interesting. I can't really tell how much of the game revolves around its 'plot' or if it only has cutscenes to move you from level to level. If it tries to be as serious as I know Dark Summit will be (can't wait to try that), then it'll be interesting. And if it doesn't work out, then that's alright.

IntelligentCalcium posted:

I want to believe Blanktester is going on a pilgrimage to seek out Rick McCrank so he may learn to be XTREME from the master. Will there be wacky adventures and kooky hijinks? You bet your rear end!

...In the middle of the midwest?

Also I may or may not put more effort into a post/video about this later but I got a youtube message telling me to try "ESPN Winter X Games Snowboarder" also by Konami (geez, did they have an enforced contract to do this stuff that I didn't know about?) and it is so bad that it has broken me. I can't figure it out. I can't do it. I can't pass a single event because every single thing about the game is full of the most wretched attempts at making half-assed systems that I've ever seen. I can't trick, I can't stay in a straight line...

I thought I had reached the bottom of the barrel. But nope. It always goes further. Needless to say, Evolution Skateboarding's new rating is a solid 7 or 8 out of 10. In fact, take every rating I've done on every game that's been played and increase it by 1.

There are some games here I would say should have been played more than they were. Not this one.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 4, 2013

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
Oh man, those boss battles were great. They both caught me off guard at first, but in retrospect, their appearance isn't very surprising. For how wacky extreme sports games are, a giant spider and a runaway truck could be normal obstacles. I guess it is the fact that so much attention, including an entire stage, is focused on them that they stand out more.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
The boss battles are interesting, though aside from the boss stages that show up for everyone, there's only 2 or 3 regular stages with bosses in them. However, one of the bosses is Dracula. Yes, I'll show that off. Still haven't found any Metal Gears, though.

Anyways, next up is two interesting locations to go to for an extreme sports location. Although, Western isn't really a place...more of a qualifier or genre, really. Also, like I say in it, anything Tinker says or does is non-canonical in real life and/or anywhere.

Evolution Skateboarding Arcade Mode Part 3: Western & Aegean Sea

Text Link

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, this is beginning to make me think Rick McCrank is a time lord.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Tinker is the greatest.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Hey IntelligentCalcium, if you'd be free to do an episode today, tell me on Skype. If you can't, I'd still like to know when you could do one. Also, for the rest of the summer, episodes will probably be with me and either blanktester/internet person or Tinker/alan6541. Maybe those could cross over at some point, but that wouldn't be often. Unless it ends up being often. I dunno, man, that's the future.

Anyways, it's the last of McCrank. No more Rickin' around at the speed of sound. Maybe, if his legacy needs to be continued, I'll just create him in whatever upcoming games have create-a-skater options. Also, this episode does in fact guest star a girl on the internet, so just warning you.

Evolution Skateboarding Arcade Mode Part 4: Tokyo & Tank

Text Link

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The tank was clearly trying to stop try Rick McCrank from taking over the world. But he didn't know you can't stop Rick McCrank, Rick took a tank to the face and a shell to the back of the head and he just kept skating.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Don't worry about the pizza place, they specialize in home delivery ;). I also like the fact that they wrote warnings on the ramp telling you to watch your speed, yet the ramp itself takes you directly into a open plaza, making me wonder what you happen if a car actually went up those ramps. I'm pretty sure they don't have those in Shinjuku.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

drasticactions posted:

Don't worry about the pizza place, they specialize in home delivery ;). I also like the fact that they wrote warnings on the ramp telling you to watch your speed, yet the ramp itself takes you directly into a open plaza, making me wonder what you happen if a car actually went up those ramps. I'm pretty sure they don't have those in Shinjuku.

Actually, I do some pizza delivery for it next video, so, uhhh, there's definitely time travel/out-of-order-story-things going on in this game. And I'm guessing you were translating the japanese? If so, another Tokyo level has text on a bunch of halfpipe ramps, so you'll have to tell me if it reads "warning: sick air ahead" or something equivalent.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ovues posted:

Actually, I do some pizza delivery for it next video, so, uhhh, there's definitely time travel/out-of-order-story-things going on in this game. And I'm guessing you were translating the japanese? If so, another Tokyo level has text on a bunch of halfpipe ramps, so you'll have to tell me if it reads "warning: sick air ahead" or something equivalent.

Yeah, that's what the sign says. The bus stop says it's in the Shinjuku district. The sign you see when you're grinding above one of the pipes (on the construction building) is Safety First. There's also Kanamori Bank (I think it's Kanamori, it's hard to make out) and a sign advertising Gyuudon. One of the spaces is available for rent (""テナント募集中"). A bunch of stuff like that.

I have this game. Even though the controls really do suck, it was at least trying to be different. I would rather play a game that aimed high and failed, than one which tries too hard to emulate other games.
I mean, I would rather play Tony Hawk, but this is not nearly as bad as other games in this category.

EDIT: SA seems to hate using Japanese in links. :(

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 9, 2013

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
There's no more Rick McCrank. Where is the meaning in life anymore?

Come back Rick McCrank. The world needs you again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spamman posted:

There's no more Rick McCrank. Where is the meaning in life anymore?

Come back Rick McCrank. The world needs you again.
Rick McCrank shall live on in our memories, like Segata Sanshiro.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Youtube superstardom, here I come~

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

Endorph posted:

Rick McCrank shall live on in our memories, like Segata Sanshiro.

Rick McCrank for VGCW (not really). Maybe in the future I'll use any 'create-a-character' options to re-make Rick McCrank. Of course, at the end of this, I'll have a "who was the most extreme character I picked" poll, and I'd rather not have all top 3 spots taken up by Rick McCrank. He can get first though, that's fine.

Youtube superstardom, here I come~

Yeah I got it all synced and stuff, it's a p. sweet video, 10/10. If you're interested in doing more, or if anyone else is interested, I'll try to know a day or two in advance when blanktester and I are doing one.

Insetik fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 12, 2013

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Nice, I was hoping you thought it went well. Honestly it was a little weird; I'm so used to staring at videos and listening to you two talk that I had to stop for a moment and be all like "Oh wait I should say something". :D

A+ would join in again. And maybe get up a few hours earlier.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
So now it's time for playthrough 2, no bones about it, it's time for a new skater to follow for a while. Want some sweet levels? Want some more sick skating gameplay? Well, here goes. Since the new guy still has the same trailer and tank bosses, I'll do three levels a video and leave out the separate boss fights. And make sure to stay here for next video...this guy has a hell of a boss fight to wrap up his 6 levels.

Evolution Skateboarding Arcade Mode Part 5: Philly Pt 2, Ruins, & Tokyo Pt 2

Text Link

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Pretty amazing Subway chat. I guess the word 'grinder' meaning a sub sandwich isn't very pervasive in Insetikville because that seems like it'd be an easy gag.

Also Tinker continues to be the greatest. Blood Oxygen Skateboard.

Edit: McCRANK TO THE FUTURE

Melondog fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 14, 2013

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Insetik Productions Presents Blood Oxygen Skateboard

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

Croccers posted:

Insetik Productions Presents Blood Oxygen Skateboard

When you phrase it like that, it sounds like a Z-grade horror movie.

A body is down at the morgue. The mortician looks up as the investigating cops walk in. "The strangest thing, boys; the victim's blood has all been completely de-oxygenated. And these marks on his back...they look like skateboard wheels..."

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

When you phrase it like that, it sounds like a Z-grade horror movie.

A body is down at the morgue. The mortician looks up as the investigating cops walk in. "The strangest thing, boys; the victim's blood has all been completely de-oxygenated. And these marks on his back...they look like skateboard wheels..."

Brought to you by the same people who did Rodentz (never watch that movie ever, dryest horror movie you could think of).

Oh we'd do it, if only we had acting careers. We've actually got a production studio, which brought forward such things like...those 2 lovely videos we mentioned back in MBA part 8 and the attempted full-length movie to those of which only 5 minutes were even filmed. Though what we could do is a "Road2skate" which chronicles my adventure as I go to the local skatepark and make an rear end out of myself as I try to go in a straight line.

It would get tens of views, guaranteed. And I would make .005 cents off of it.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Speaking of videos that get tens of views...Santa Claus and more mythical monsters await you in:

Evolution Skateboarding Part 6: Plant 2, Snowtown, & Castle 2 (feat. IntelligentCalcium)

Text Link

So I've been playing Mat Hoffman 2, and I'm going to answer this question before everyone asks: Since Mat Hoffman 2 has at least one level that doesn't infuriate me at any point in any of its goals, it is by default better than Dave Mirra 2. I may actually enjoy this one.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
You are right about some place being Snowtown :eng101:
It has less skateboarding and no snow but more bodies in barrels in an old bank. :(

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
I was wrong about the Metal Gear thing, but you CAN play as both Solid Snake AND Raiden.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

P.S. Metal Gear.

Edit: I should note that I was literally awake for less than 10 minutes when the guys contacted me on skype. Sorry if I was a crap guest commentator!

Melondog fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS
Alright I know Evo Skate's running a bit out of steam, this is the last video for it with the last three main levels. The challenge mode for the game is really just trick/grind/checkpoint challenges in a generic warehouse place with slightly different generic-pieces to use, and so I'm not really going to show it off. Instead, you get more Konami Castle action and me going somewhat-out-but-not-all-out with the board editor. I feel like someone much more creative than me could make a really amazing sticker edit, just like how some people have super amazing Call of Duty emblems while I just go with "I 47". And by 'amazing' I mean lewd, of course.

Evolution Skateboarding Part 7: Philly 3, Castle 3, & Factory

Text Link

If the commentary for this is is too wacky, know that I'll try to start Mat Hoffman 2 at least somewhat-serious. People actually do want me to show off that game with a slight amount of dignity.

• Locked thread