Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
So Exodus International has closed their doors today. I wonder what my favorite right-wing host Janet Mefferd has to say about it!

http://www.janetmefferdpremium.com/2013/06/20/janet-mefferd-radio-show-20130620-hr-3/

For those wanting to listen to it. It's free, so don't worry about it. The website name just comes from when they initially were planning on paywalling it, but it just never happened.

I've only skimmed it so far because it's hard to listen to her at the best of times, but the best part that I've heard is her being more worried about the poor betrayed Christians who donated to him, and seeming pretty upset that he's suddenly 'turned his back' on the Church to help a bunch of gays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
In regards to the whole selling "Obamaphones" for heroin bit I can attest that its a crock of poo poo. For disclosure, I live in America's largest homeless shelter. Those phones are loving everywhere and so lovely (bad reception, low minutes, ancient design) no one even bothers stealing them. A new smartphone has a street value of 20-30 bucks at best, and no one wants a phone you can just go get for free. The pawn shops here will laugh in your face if you try to sell them one.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Prester John posted:

In regards to the whole selling "Obamaphones" for heroin bit I can attest that its a crock of poo poo. For disclosure, I live in America's largest homeless shelter. Those phones are loving everywhere and so lovely (bad reception, low minutes, ancient design) no one even bothers stealing them. A new smartphone has a street value of 20-30 bucks at best, and no one wants a phone you can just go get for free. The pawn shops here will laugh in your face if you try to sell them one.

Look, you might have firsthand knowledge of what you're talking about, but you're asking me to believe that Right-Wing Crusader James O'Keefe is spinning a line of bullshit to attract attention to himself and score cheap political points. I'm just not sure that I'm willing to believe that.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I never said or even implied this. I said they were more aware of the world around them as in engaged in it. That doesn't necessarily mean more informed.

It looks like they asked about that detail as part of an immunization survey.

I don't know how you can honestly believe this when you're posting to a machine that is connected to every other machine like it in the entire world on a network where the near totality of human knowledge is stored and accessible. People of the past weren't any different than people of the present. They weren't more aware or engaged in the world around them. If anything it's the other way around, because how the gently caress the average dude supposed to learn about world events in 1950? Hope they were covered in the day's newspaper? Even people who actively wanted to be aware and connected probably didn't know poo poo about anything.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I guess we just have different ideas of being engaged in the world. You seem to think it means having access to international news, I think it means actually socializing with the people around you.

These days, and this is the reason right wing media has become so virulent and even why the people in this thread could make this thread, you can just go to work, come home, and get the majority of your social interaction with like-minded people all over the world. You no longer have to go outside or meet in public to have conversations with people or develop and maintain social relationships. How many of your neighbors' names do you even know? I live in a modern suburb and I know about 2 people from the dozens of occupied houses I'm surrounded by. Yeah we're all connected by the Internet but we're also disconnected a lot more in real life, and that changes how ideas propagate and how people socialize in an uncountable number of ways.

Again, I'm far from the first person to talk about this and there have been tons of news articles (admittedly mostly op-eds based on my google searching) in the last couple of years discussing this effect and how it impacts society as a whole.

I don't even remember how we got on this tangent now, or why we're arguing about something that is only abstractly related to right wing media.

To get back on, I was listening to some guy subbing for Roger Hedgecock (who is the absolute worst talk show host I have ever listened to) and he was doing this extremely melodramatic bit about Benghazi. He kept talking about "those... four... Americans... they just... let die" with constant pauses and hammering certain words extra hard. I am now pretty certain that the Benghazi histrionics are never going to end because there is literally nothing more to find out that isn't already public knowledge. We're going to be hearing about Benghazi in twenty years, and not for its historical relevance.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I am now pretty certain that the Benghazi histrionics are never going to end because there is literally nothing more to find out that isn't already public knowledge. We're going to be hearing about Benghazi in twenty years, and not for its historical relevance.

It's really the most distressing example in recent memory of a lie being spun into a significant phenomenon. It's been repeated so often for so long that anyone not paying attention might be forgiven for just not knowing whether it was actually a big deal or a fake scandal created whole-cloth by the right wing media.

As for me, I've rather run out of patience. If it has progressed this far on nothing but lies and hot air, I doubt there is anything I can say that will make people realize what a load of bullshit the whole thing really was.

I think the thing I hate most about it is that it's such a great example of the ability of large media sources to sway the public's opinion simply through saturation. The truth doesn't matter anymore, it seems.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's really the most distressing example in recent memory of a lie being spun into a significant phenomenon. It's been repeated so often for so long that anyone not paying attention might be forgiven for just not knowing whether it was actually a big deal or a fake scandal created whole-cloth by the right wing media.

As for me, I've rather run out of patience. If it has progressed this far on nothing but lies and hot air, I doubt there is anything I can say that will make people realize what a load of bullshit the whole thing really was.

I think the thing I hate most about it is that it's such a great example of the ability of large media sources to sway the public's opinion simply through saturation. The truth doesn't matter anymore, it seems.

In an abstract, theoretical way, it's quite fascinating to see them create reality right in front of our eyes. They've turned a minor incident that as best I can tell is no one's fault into this towering atrocity and conspiracy - worse than Watergate times two! And you know if the exact same event had happened under W., it would be a non-issue.

Liberal media indeed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Howard Kurtz...now that brings back memories. I remember on the trip that met my ex-gf in the US (in Louisiana) we stopped at her campus bookstore because I was utterly amazed at this AM talk radio culture she showed me. I bought a book there (called 'Hot air', I believe) and it was the weakest, lamest thing one could imagine. Even writing on such a controversial topic it was milquetoast, long on excuses and short on facts. The cover and blurb promised a hard-hitting factual exposé of talk radio; the actual content seemed written by someone who wanted to suck up to those great communicators (and maybe offer them some image consulting business on the side).

It was very instructive in a different way, though, as it was an early window into the whole David Brooks fake-codemnation style of anyone with actual pull, pretending to be critical but instead glossing over faults or claiming that they are minor/warranted due to the vileness of their detractors.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I guess we just have different ideas of being engaged in the world. You seem to think it means having access to international news, I think it means actually socializing with the people around you.

I don't even remember how we got on this tangent now, or why we're arguing about something that is only abstractly related to right wing media.

I was going to post this in your defense because I gathered that was what you meant - the way people used to be more engaged in their neighborhoods and poo poo like that - but others probably do have a better point. We're much, much more "engaged" in the exchange of information, global news and everything else than we used to be. The fact that so much of that information is about Justin Beiber or the Kardashians is beside the point.

Anyhow, Herman Cain said today that "80 Billion people have been killed in Syria" while lambasting Obama for not doing something sooner. Never even mind that had Obama done anything with that crisis, he'd be ragging on him for getting involved and sinking us into a war, and that Herman Cain couldn't find Syria on a map, but "80 billion"??

I don't know if he was being hyperbolic, stupid, mis-spoke or if I just heard the number wrong, but even I did and he said "8 million", that's still way wrong. He didn't sound like he was being hyperbolic either. It was just a number he said in the course of delivering "news" and you know his listeners believe it. Plus, they all care about dead Syrians sooooo much.

I supposed I just contradicted my point from my first paragraph, didn't I?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Herman Cain is a brilliant snake oil salesman and I have seen no evidence to indicate he is anything but. He looks really great on paper, but unless his entire political and media career has been one big act, the man isn't half as intelligent as his academic and work history would suggest. I feel like he was just in the right place at the right time to meet the right people and was able to sell himself moreso than his actual skills to be put into the positions he was.

I'm not particularly impressed by his business acumen, either. He basically made a bunch of caveman level anti-labor decisions presiding over the NRA, and his tenure was so well received that they didn't even endorse him when he ran for the presidential nomination, a decision they made before the sexual harassment allegations became big news. And as someone who grew up in the city where Godfather's Pizza was founded and having eaten it both before and after he ran the company, he may have increased profits and expanded the business but he took it from a quality, proud local chain to being a lovely(er) Pizza Hut.

The best part about Herman Cain, though, is all the bluster about people only voting Obama to assuage their white guilt, when there's absolutely no reason Cain was even a theoretically serious candidate other than allowing Tea Party assholes to claim "not racist" after he was the frontrunner for a month. I wouldn't be surprised if the Kochs or Ailes specifically propped him up for a bit knowing they had the sexual harassment info to knock him out later specifically to undermine accusations of racism.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I've seen a lot of right wingers complaining that the farm bill that was voted down would've have sent millions in WELFARE to FOREIGN COUNTRIES. Am I correct in assuming it was just some foreign aid or farm subsidies to send corn to Africa or something?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Phone posted:

My uncle countered that graph with THE GOVERNMENT NEVER DOES ANYTHING GOOD or something like that.

Tell your uncle to stop being Ron Swanson.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 21, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Paul MaudDib posted:

Tell your uncle to stop being Ron Swanson.

I've told the story before, but my grandfather was on his deathbed (uncle's father) and I went down to see him before he passed. My cousin was talking about how she had met Tupac in NYC in the early 90s at some restaurant by chance. Uncle asks "who is that?" Well, Tupac is a rapper that was quite prolific in the early 90s.

The response? "All it is it a bunch of 'friend of the family this' and 'friend of the family that' and they're all niggers."

The next day Fox News was running it's Bad President line about something (go look up whatever the controversy was supposed to be in August 2012), I mentioned that Food Stamps has a net positive in tax collection for the government. This cannot stand, trickle down economics, etc. I just told him, "Hey listen, I'm not going to hold it against you. Just say you don't like Obama because he's black."

"ARE YOU CALLING ME A RACIST?!!?!?"

Luckily the SA forums has a handy emoticon to sum up my feelings on the situation: :ironicat:

e: this is right wing media related because fox news spurred the argument.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Never stop FOX news, never stop.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/hannity-guest-bill-cunningham-erupts-at-democrat-tamara-holder-know-your-place-and-shut-your-mouth/

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Wow, I will throw a party for the day Sean Hannity dies and is rotting in the ground. I don't care that celebrating someone's death is in poor taste, gently caress Sean Hannity. He literally just told her to get back in the kitchen, what a misogynistic piece of trash.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Magres posted:

Wow, I will throw a party for the day Sean Hannity dies and is rotting in the ground. I don't care that celebrating someone's death is in poor taste, gently caress Sean Hannity. He literally just told her to get back in the kitchen, what a misogynistic piece of trash.

No, his guest did, he actually tried to get quick back on topic after that little bit.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Maybe he got fooled by that fake Pat Robertson Daily Currant story and thought it was OK to say on TV now.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Amused to Death posted:

No, his guest did, he actually tried to get quick back on topic after that little bit.

Ooohh okay I misread that. Whoops

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Amused to Death posted:

Between that and the exchange a few weeks back when discussing the "40% of women are breadwinners" that resulted Lou Dobbs and Eric Erickson being condescending as gently caress to Megyn Kelly the casual contempt for women keeps creeping out on Fox News programs.

If a democrat wins the presidency in 2016 I expect the vitriol to explode to the point where Hannity or right wing guests starts shrieking at a female guest/anchor that democrats keep winning because women want to continue to be whores and expect abortion on demand.

I do love the defense of Cunningham's words from some talking head "Oh, he's married to a woman, who's an appeals court judge, so it's not like he has a problem with women."

Is "I'm not sexist, I have a wife" the new black friends remark?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Married to a woman, nothing to see here.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
:stare: God drat! That's not a dog whistle or anything, that's blatant, flat-out misogyny. I realize "shut up and get back in the kitchen" is a classic representation of the Republican mindset, but to see someone actually saying it without a hint of irony on a cable news show -even if it is Fox- is incredible to watch.

"There's no war on women", gently caress YOU!:fuckoff:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 22, 2013

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

The best part of this is that he quotes The Rock.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

pentyne posted:

If a democrat wins the presidency in 2016 I expect the vitriol to explode to the point where Hannity or right wing guests starts shrieking at a female guest/anchor that democrats keep winning because women want to continue to be whores and expect abortion on demand.

If?

That poo poo's a lock, man.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If?

I was more certain before Scandalfest 2013. Granted, over half the "scandals" were just rhetoric turned up to 11, but the point stands that I'm not as confident.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I was more certain before Scandalfest 2013. Granted, over half the "scandals" were just rhetoric turned up to 11, but the point stands that I'm not as confident.

Let me know when Scandalfest 2015 starts. That's when I'll be worried.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think the NSA scandal is the only one that has the staying power to affect an election, and the Obama administration probably has a 50-50 shot at reminding everyone that Bush was the one in office for the establishment of these programs - plus I don't think most voters who care about the NSA stuff have forgotten that anyway. It's a very bipartisan scandal, no matter how much the GOP would want everyone to think otherwise. The rest (IRS, etc.) are probably going to pump up the base but have little electoral effect.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Yeah, no matter how unpopular Obama is, unless we're in a new war or depression, whoever comes next on the democratic ticket will be able to avoid being tarred by the same brush.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The scandals aren't particularly impressive though, as far as scandals go. It's pretty safe to assume Benghazi won't have any effect after four solid years of beating it into the ground. The IRS and phone records might be slightly harder, but Obama has proven very capable of convincing Democrats that he bears no responsibility for the various poo poo carried over from Bush. If they don't care about him literally assassinating people at will I find it hard to believe they'll care about a one time poor decision by an IRS director who was immediately canned. The NSA stuff has literally been going on for 12 years, they just made the mistake of loving with the mainstream press this time.

I could definitely be wrong though. I'm cynical enough at this point that I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP made a full 180 on the subject of civil liberties in the span of ~6 months and actually fooled the public into believing them long enough to win the election. Well, I certainly hope not.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

If?

I'm not ready to rule out some Republican becoming immensely popular and uniting the party cohesively and appealing to moderates. I mean we all expect another savage GOP race destroy itself as a succession of incompetent fuckwits is anointed the nominee before being dropped a week later for the next fresh face while the Tea party screams about RINO's and officials get caught planning to repeal abortion and women's right to vote.

Speaking of fresh young GOP leaders, what ever happened to Bobby Jindal?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

I'm cynical enough at this point that I wouldn't be surprised if the GOP made a full 180 on the subject of civil liberties in the span of ~6 months and actually fooled the public into believing them long enough to win the election. Well, I certainly hope not.

I can't see them being able to keep their mouths shut long enough to pass off a lie like that. Example: Directly after losing, they went into Latino outreach overdrive. And then this. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop-lawmaker-calls-hispanic-workers-wetbacks-124131854--politics.html

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I can't see them being able to keep their mouths shut long enough to pass off a lie like that. Example: Directly after losing, they went into Latino outreach overdrive. And then this. http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gop-lawmaker-calls-hispanic-workers-wetbacks-124131854--politics.html

During the 2008 election there was a huge blow up because some Southern CA republican group made an extremely racist Obama handout advertising "Chicken and watermelon" or some other racist poo poo, and when they were interviewing a local GOP staffer who was black she said "This is why I can't get my black friends on board with the GOP, every other week there's a story like this."

It doesn't matter how hard the national GOP organization tries to change its message, at the local and state level making GBS threads on minorities and being casually racist is still enough to win statehouses, congressional, and governor seats. The Presidency has come down to "can we sway enough white moderates to overcome the 70-80% of minorities that vote against us".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

pentyne posted:

I'm not ready to rule out some Republican becoming immensely popular and uniting the party cohesively and appealing to moderates. I mean we all expect another savage GOP race destroy itself as a succession of incompetent fuckwits is anointed the nominee before being dropped a week later for the next fresh face while the Tea party screams about RINO's and officials get caught planning to repeal abortion and women's right to vote.

Even if the GOP wins the next election it will be through gerrymandering in the extreme, I think, and they will no doubt immediately implement a whole slew of policies that serve only to further destroy any credibility they may have left. That's assuming they can somehow skew the rules enough to steal the election which may or may not even happen. Their plan for winning more votes is to go even further to the extreme right and crank the new red scare tactics up to 12. All they're doing is alienating even more moderates and their minority outreach has failed miserably. I mean let's face it, their platform is literally "everything rich white dudes do is right, everything everybody else does is wrong." They can't get minority or women votes in any big measure without drastically changing the fundamental beliefs of the party.

This is also the party of religious fundamentalists. As America becomes less Christian it becomes harder and harder to get people to vote on religious grounds. I say these things because I'm a Buddhist that's only sort of white, as well as poor and I sure as gently caress won't vote for a political party whose platform seeks to deny me basic human rights.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I'd be a hell of a lot more happy if there was a chance of the republicans losing the house. The legislative branch is where the real problem is yet :foxnews: is happy to disguise it as all Obama's fault. The house could propose the most misogynistic bill imaginable of its own volition and :foxnews:'d still spin it to "Obama wants women to be slaves" or some other nonsense.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

pentyne posted:

I'm not ready to rule out some Republican becoming immensely popular and uniting the party cohesively and appealing to moderates.

Known potential 2016 GOP candidates: Rand Paul, Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, Rick Perry, Chris Christie, Marco Rubio.

I think the chances of any of them appealing to moderates is exceptionally tiny. I know that someone could come on the scene who does appeal to moderates, and of course we're still a long way out from the election. But, I think it's safe to say that the GOP has no intention of moving to the middle. After they get creamed again in 2014 and 2016? Probably. But, no way that they moderate their views before that, and they'll poison every national candidate who has to take those views live on television.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

He's getting ready to run. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/06/21/has-bobby-jindal-gone-mad.html

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Prester John posted:

I find it feasible a heroin dealer could exchange the phones for heroin, since he might want to have his phone number changing frequently. But I can't imagine that being statistically relevant. Just like voter fraud. Sure, it is possible... but it's really not an issue.

It's been said before, but the right really doesn't understand statistics.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

I cannot wait for him to leave office, he's decimated Louisiana's safety net and crippled our economy. Being an ER doc here there are several deaths I can lay squarely at his feet. :(

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ashgromnies posted:

I find it feasible a heroin dealer could exchange the phones for heroin, since he might want to have his phone number changing frequently. But I can't imagine that being statistically relevant. Just like voter fraud. Sure, it is possible... but it's really not an issue.

It's been said before, but the right really doesn't understand statistics.

Maybe once every two weeks, but ten times a night?

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
:asoiaf:

The worst part is how Hannity doesn't even tell the guy to knock it off, it's all about ratings. Stay classy, Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

pentyne posted:

He committed career suicide live on national tv?