Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think that using the right stick to look around the cockpit/car while racing is far more intuitive than relying on Kinect tracking your head movements. Besides, using Kinect for that rather than the current right stick solution presents new problems such as how to go about handling a 180 to see who's behind you (if you just use the stick to handle that, why not stay with that solution for everything else since it works, and is faster and more responsive), and frustrations from distractions in the room interfering with the camera in the game when you turn you head and such to talk/look at someone/something.

I could see the benefit of something like Oculus Rift for head tracking functionality, but trying to make use of Kinect for head tracking in a game you're playing on TV? I can't say I'm sold, to be honest, since it seems grossly inferior to the current solution of quickly flicking the right stick in the direction you want to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wolrah posted:

Done it. Can't do the scaled movements, it just doesn't compute to my brain. 40-60 degrees of head movement translating to a full 180 camera turn as you say would just break me. 1:1 with a HMD works, 3:1 is just "nope".

So you've used proper head tracking but still went with the cliche "but if I look left, I can't see the screen anymore" argument?

And it's not like they are taking away looking around with the right stick. It's just another option. An option I want because I have a wheel. I don't have a right stick (or any stick) so I can't look around at all unless I give up paddle shifting. No use making GBS threads on a feature that's useful to some people if you don't even have to use it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Its cool if someone distracts you or like a bug lands on you and you look away and your screen moves away from what youre doing.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Its cool if someone distracts you or like a bug lands on you and you look away and your screen moves away from what youre doing.

I've used TrackIR for flight sims before and it's pretty cool once you get used to it. Hardcore wonks swear by it because your hands and feet are already busy when flying and if you're playing WWII sims there's no radar or anything so you have to keep looking around all the time as you swoop around. Not sure how well the Kinect implementation stacks up, though because I've never really used it enough to get a feel for it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

So you've used proper head tracking but still went with the cliche "but if I look left, I can't see the screen anymore" argument?

Yeah, because as I explained if I use it in a way that it makes sense from a physical perspective, that's exactly what ends up happening. It's only a cliche argument because it's the reality for some of us. 1:1 head to camera tracking is what feels natural for obvious reasons, but is entirely impractical when the screen is only in front of you.

quote:

And it's not like they are taking away looking around with the right stick. It's just another option. An option I want because I have a wheel. I don't have a right stick (or any stick) so I can't look around at all unless I give up paddle shifting. No use making GBS threads on a feature that's useful to some people if you don't even have to use it.

Well of course, which is exactly why I've tried every variant of this idea I could get my hands on. Forza is particularly bad among the games I play for having cockpit views where the mirrors aren't really visible from the normal camera position, so since I also drive with a wheel I tend to bump people who are alongside me in turns more than I'd like. I'm not making GBS threads on the concept, just stating my opinion that the only ways it's possible to implement usefully with fixed displays are awkward at best.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 20, 2013

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Are we allowed to post awsome car-related stuff in this thread?

In 1976 two NASCAR stock cars (a Ford Torino and a Dodge Charger) were entered into the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Despite being incredibly popular, neither finished the race;

quote:

Unfortunately, NASCAR at Le Mans didn't live up to its advance billing and immense popularity. McGriff's engine blew on the second lap, thus the Olympia Dodge was the first car out of the race, officially shown as "No Result." At Le Mans, you need to complete a certain number of laps even to be classified as a finisher.

"I was really disappointed in our performance. We made a big mistake, for which I guess I have to blame myself, on the octane of fuel that was available in France for the race. I thought the fuel was around 90 octane, and, of course, we were used to running 101 or 102. I passed this along to my engine man, and he built three lower-compression motors for the 90-grade stuff. But it turned out the real octane was more like 82 or 83. Them big pistons just wouldn't take it, and we burned up the first two engines in practice. We added head gaskets to get the third engine to last, and NASCAR was trying to round up some higher-octane gas, but couldn't. We didn't do a good job of representing the class, and maybe that's why it didn't run a second year. If we'd have run the whole race, and finished, maybe it could've worked."

The Donlavey Ford fared somewhat better, but finally gave up in the 11th hour. Le Mans is hell on transmissions; the NASCAR stocker's four-speeds were charged with approximately 22 gear changes per lap. There have been NASCAR contests where the driver never made 22 gear changes throughout the entire race. Hutcherson and Brooks also were unclassified.

Read more here.

This is the Charger doing a lap last summer (in the rain no less).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9Zy6QpaqFY

Basticle fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 20, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basticle posted:

This is the Charger doing a lap last summer

That sound :swoon:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Also LOL at the guy manhandling it through Indianapolis and Arnage.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Heh at the fact that NASCAR races often feature fewer than 22 gear changes every 500 laps. I'm surprised they haven't figured out some way to drive them in third person view.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

e: Cubivore got probated for posting erotic fan fiction in the NASCAR thread ahahahahaha

Look man, don't be hatin' on my tastes, ok

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hope the next Forza has a Zakspeed Ford Capri. It's pretty fun in pCARS.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Basticle posted:

Are we allowed to post awsome car-related stuff in this thread?

In 1976 two NASCAR stock cars (a Ford Torino and a Dodge Charger) were entered into the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Despite being incredibly popular, neither finished the race;

Read more here.

This is the Charger doing a lap last summer (in the rain no less).

Actually, there's a place for awesome car poo poo.

Otherwise, the story of "Les Monstres de La Sarthe" is one that's always fascinated me (so called because the awesome thunderous roar of the V8s compared to the sports cars of the time). Also, yet another reason why Forza should have a Ford Torino, as that was Ford's perennial stocker in the 60's and 70's. About as close to a partnership between France and France as we'll get this side of the ALMS/Grand Am merger.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, I'm gettin' kinda sick of World Tour forcing me to do A600 / S700 races constantly and since I just got Gold again... anyone want to do some F200 on Nurburgring / Fujimi Kaido / Le Mans soon? GT is T1g4h :v:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

T1g4h posted:

So, I'm gettin' kinda sick of World Tour forcing me to do A600 / S700 races constantly and since I just got Gold again... anyone want to do some F200 on Nurburgring / Fujimi Kaido / Le Mans soon? GT is T1g4h :v:

You could always join the [PA] races. There's one tonight, even!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

You could always join the [PA] races. There's one tonight, even!

I haven't followed the thread in ages, whazzat?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

T1g4h posted:

I haven't followed the thread in ages, whazzat?
We're also running some custom Rivals/Leaderboard events. Check it out.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Club [PA] (Penny Arcade forums), which I run, does random stuff tuesdays and thursdays (we usually start 8:30-9PM EST)

FYI tonight is completely random with no theme but at some point there will be a race on Old Mulsanne with A600 70s muscle cars.

*edit* my GT is Basticular, msg me or send a friend invite if you're interested. So far Cubey, Bentron and speek3k have been racing with us (and hopefully had fun and not been weirded out*)

* though tbh Bentron kind of weirds us out, so.....

Basticle fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 21, 2013

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

Basticle posted:

He weirds us all out. That's why we love him.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Basticle posted:

You haven't played Forza until you've listened to Bentron tell a creepy story for 10 minutes, every week.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks for the games tonight Basticle, that was a blast. Been ages since I've gotten to take my Fiero out and almost murder an entire pack :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Basticle posted:

He is okay as long as he takes his meds beforehand.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Ask him about his Subaru.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
He's only kidding. You really shouldn't.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've had the pleasure of hearing about the crackhouse accross the street and the one time he had to endure another racer talking about being gay (or something).

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

SAEG had a Miata party. It was fun.

Have
some
video

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

Cojawfee posted:

Now that the crossbone can be offline, how will this "drivatar" thing pan out?

The Xbone isn't required to be online anymore, but individual games can require online still

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The drivatar thing, it'll be interesting to see if that ends up meaning that Forza 5 requires an internet connection to play at all. Since it's being touted as a major feature of the game, it very well could.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The drivatar thing, it'll be interesting to see if that ends up meaning that Forza 5 requires an internet connection to play at all. Since it's being touted as a major feature of the game, it very well could.

Seems kinda dumb tbh, it woulnt be hard to have the game could just revert back to whatever they have as a default ai is if you arent connected.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

anime and cars posted:

Seems kinda dumb tbh, it woulnt be hard to have the game could just revert back to whatever they have as a default ai is if you arent connected.

Absolutely, but I wouldn't put it pass Microsoft to force T10 to make the drivatar a requirement. I am just expecting the worse.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Hopefully nobody has posted this yet.

Top Gear did an interview with Dan Greenawalt
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/meet-the-man-who-makes-forza-2013-06-18

Pretty neat that we'll have a variety of wraps to apply to our cars. Get that "rich oil tycoon playboy visiting London" look by wrapping our Lamborghinis in gold.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh yeah, T10 showed that off a little bit at E3 and it looked absolutely stunning.

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Absolutely, but I wouldn't put it pass Microsoft to force T10 to make the drivatar a requirement. I am just expecting the worse.

If you read the Drivatar info on Microsoft's own research page, it doesn't even sound like you'll have to have a Drivatar if you don't want one.

Also what Ether said VVVVV

Prettypanda fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 21, 2013

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I said come in! posted:

My guess is the game comes pre-loaded with a sampling of drivatars from the factory, and the online connection only causes you to get updates from your friends and the community. Offline people will probably just not have the dynamic version.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just as long as that means a much meaner M. Rossi.

lordmaf
Jul 23, 2007
Infineon Nascar

[SAEG] Lord M84: 169 on the leaderboard 1:13.885

Prettypanda
Nov 11, 2008

lordmaf posted:

Infineon Nascar

[SAEG] Lord M84: 169 on the leaderboard 1:13.885

Make that 170.
[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX #166 1:13.864

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
How long is this set of goon rivals challenges running? I want to set some times but I haven't had a chance yet and I'm going out of town for a week.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

siig posted:

How long is this set of goon rivals challenges running? I want to set some times but I haven't had a chance yet and I'm going out of town for a week.
This set ends June 29 @ 10PM Eastern US time.

Current standings
code:
Maple Short E275 Roadsters

[SAEG] Dr Edmund Honda 0:47.676  Corvette '53
[AUGR] whatcubed3      0:47.993  Porsche 550  
[AUGR] w0lrah          0:48.082  Corvette '53
[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX   0:48.108  Corvette '53
[AUGR] Cubivore        0:48.562  MGA
[SAEG] Spamtheman ZA   0:48.795  Porsche 550
[GTCC] bsamu           0:48.865  Triumph TR3B
[SAEG] rige1seven      0:48.951  Alfa Spider
[GTCC] AndrewCoja      0:49.059  Porsche 550
[AUGR] Eperitus        0:50.470  Sprite MK1

Infineon Nascar S700 British Only

[AUGR] XPrettyPandaX   1:13.864  ??
[SAEG] Lord M84        1:13.885  ??
[SAEG] Dr Edmund Honda 1:14.369  Lotus 2-Eleven
[AUGR] whatcubed3      1:14.956  Lotus 2-Eleven 
[SAEG] Spamtheman ZA   1:16.642  Lotus 2-Eleven
[SAEG] rige1seven      1:17.548  Jaguar XJ220
[AUGR] Cubivore        1:18.445  Ascari KZ1R
[AUGR] w0lrah          1:18.530  Lotus 2-Eleven
[SAEG] rige1seven      1:18.667  Jaguar XJ220
[AUGR] Eperitus        1:19.566  Aston V12 Zagato

Southpaw
Mar 9, 2006
GT: Southpaw I
Maple: No DLC :(
Infineon 1:19.213 #5,281 Jaguar XJ220

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Southpaw posted:

GT: Southpaw I
Maple: No DLC :(
Infineon 1:19.213 #5,281 Jaguar XJ220
I didn't realize all the cars I picked for Maple were DLC. I'll do some testing and find a car that's not DLC and post it tomorrow.

• Locked thread