Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

shadysight posted:

Are there any other parents from hot, dry climates that might have a suggestion for what to do for a 15 month old that seems to keep waking in the night thirsty? If he had the sense yet, I'd just leave a sippy cup in his crib with him, but I already know that he'd find a way to dump the contents all over his bed and then really complain.

Sam was on straw cups by then and I stuck a series of non-spill straw cops in there. Now I use a camelbak in there and I wish I'd found it sooner. Short version -- get her on straw cups, and the world opens right up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

Melliemel posted:

Sam was on straw cups by then and I stuck a series of non-spill straw cops in there. Now I use a camelbak in there and I wish I'd found it sooner. Short version -- get her on straw cups, and the world opens right up.

Yeah, pretty much this. Chris has had a no spill straw cup by his crib since about a year old. Gotta love the self serve babies.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Sounds like it could be good. He loves straws and my wife's camel back already.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Our camelbaks collected water in the valves and leaked out the spout. So, watch for that.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012
What is the safest swaddle? I've been using Halo Sleepsack swaddlers but sometimes my baby gets her head down in them with the fabric over her nose and I'm afraid she'll suffocate. Plain blankets swaddled round her also unravel quickly. Baby is 5 weeks old.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

DwemerCog posted:

What is the safest swaddle? I've been using Halo Sleepsack swaddlers but sometimes my baby gets her head down in them with the fabric over her nose and I'm afraid she'll suffocate. Plain blankets swaddled round her also unravel quickly. Baby is 5 weeks old.

The SwaddleMe by Summer Infant was a miracle for us. We used them until 6 months. Got ours at Target.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

frenchnewwave posted:

The SwaddleMe by Summer Infant was a miracle for us. We used them until 6 months. Got ours at Target.

Summer Infant also make a Swaddle Pod which is nice. I really like the Woombies.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
At 7 months (today!), how much "solid food" should my daughter be eating -- by which I mean fruit/veggie puree and cereal? She gets plenty of breastmilk and/or formula, and I've been pretty lax about the food thing. I'll give her a serving for "dinner" every other day or so. I think it's probably time that I get more regular with it. Is once a day right, or twice a day? She's had oatmeal and some veggies and she loves it, so I know she's ready. I don't want to discourage her from breastfeeding, though.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

frenchnewwave posted:

At 7 months (today!), how much "solid food" should my daughter be eating -- by which I mean fruit/veggie puree and cereal? She gets plenty of breastmilk and/or formula, and I've been pretty lax about the food thing. I'll give her a serving for "dinner" every other day or so. I think it's probably time that I get more regular with it. Is once a day right, or twice a day? She's had oatmeal and some veggies and she loves it, so I know she's ready. I don't want to discourage her from breastfeeding, though.

At this point I'd offer food after she's eaten breastmilk or formula. I think I offered food twice a day at that point? Or one, can't quite remember.
He didn't really eat any significant amount yet at that age. Then at nine, ten months he suddenly wanted a lot more solids. All kids are different. Some eat almost no solids before a year and that's ok. Some, like my son, eat a large amount of solids at a year, and that's fine too.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke
I think at 7 months I was offering my boy solids about two or three times a day, always after a milk feed. Sometimes he'd just play with it, sometimes he'd eat a couple of spoonfuls. I tried not to worry about whether he ate or not, and it didn't affect his milk intake at all.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We just give our kid something to eat when we eat our meals even if he doesn't really eat it and plays with it. He's still working on the swallowing thing, but he's into putting things in his mouth and chewing and having it fall back out.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Alterian posted:

We just give our kid something to eat when we eat our meals even if he doesn't really eat it and plays with it. He's still working on the swallowing thing, but he's into putting things in his mouth and chewing and having it fall back out.

This is pretty much what I did. Not sure if I really half assed it or not, but it's pretty much what was recommended by a local dietician who would host workshops on infant/family feeding. Basically letting them eat off the side of your plates and getting them used to different textures.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I cannot stress enough the idea of eating together as a family. Kids tend to develop patience in their high chairs, develop conversation skills, learn basic table manners and eat more variety of food than if they are fed separately. I only have anecdotal evidence to all of this, but if you can do it I really urge everyone to eat with their kids.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

Sounds like you're doing great. Breastmilk is pretty much the best nutrition you can possibly give her, and the fat content is particularly important. Very few solid foods come anywhere close to giving her the calories and healthy fats she needs. I can't remember where I first heard the adage about solid food for babies, but it's, "Under one, it's just for fun." Here's a helpful link about calories & fat for various foods: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/babyfoodcalories/

One of the best things I think we did with Nolan and food is serving him stuff with herbs and spices, and plenty of foods with strong flavors (olives, peppers, etc). He very rarely does the picky toddler eating thing, and loves pretty much anything you give him. Picky eaters kinda make me nuts, so I'm glad it's worked out that way.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Since we're on the topic of eating, my 9 month old hasn't liked any foods I give him. I just offer him a little bit of something every so often because he's breastfed, but he hasn't liked baby cereal, homemade applesauce (no cinnamon or sugar), sweet potatoes, avocado, bananas, etc. I've just been buying produce when it's on sale and giving it to him. He's getting everything he needs breastfeeding, so I'm not terribly concerned for now. But I do wonder if anyone else has had this problem and it went away closer to when the kid had to actually start eating?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are you giving purees of the food or pieces? Jasper refuses to eat purees but has no issues with picking up pieces of food and "eating" them.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Sam hated purees. Even yogurt she was not a fan of. I let her gnaw on silver dollar pancakes (hard to get a choking-size piece off with no to limited teeth), and baby mum-mums (they dissolve!), and scrambled eggs (mushy!). We did purees for less than a week. I had a freezer full of food-processed veggies that we never got through.

But we were really lax with solids; she was eating off my plate by nine months (mild spiced, smashed with fork back, not, like, cheeseburgers). Girlfriend eats like a horse and she really wanted it, and I'm a baby-led everything kind of mom, so there you go.

She also never took to toddler flatware, fwiw; we just gave her a salad fork and let her go to town. It's possible you just have a good eater on your hands who really wants to get started.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
My youngest was the same way with purees, it's entirely a textural thing for her. She would eat food like crazy if she could pick it up and feed herself, but anything smushed on a spoon was a no-go. Even now at 7 she still won't eat "mushy" foods like oatmeal or mashed potatoes, and has just started eating yogurt maybe 3 months ago (but only the kinds that don't have fruit pieces in them, she doesn't like it with "chunks").

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Sup parent goons. I made this iPhone app for new parents, people are pretty into it, I thought I'd share:

http://babygra.ms

It lets you mail printed baby photos to people, the first one is free. Would love any feedback!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I have a very blonde 15mo who hates to wear his hat. Any suggestions on how I can keep him from burning? The hat has a Velcro strap but he just rips it off. We have several trips and activities planned for this summer and I can't just keep him inside. Any hat or sunblock recommendations?

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
The banana and avocado I gave him were both just cut into small pieces, not mushed. These were not baby-approved. I can definitely see it being a texture thing. I have a problem with textures and have had a hard time with fruits and veggies because of it. We also haven't tried a sippy cup at all yet. In fact, he still happily uses size 1 nipples when he takes a pumped bottle.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You don't need to cut them into tiny pieces. It can be more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce184xSIQfM

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Thank you all for the food tips. I've been only doing purées because I haven't taken the infant CPR class yet and I'm just paranoid about her choking. She got a bit of carrot that I didn't mush up enough stuck in her throat and I just about had a heart attack. She gagged it out right away but it freaked me out. Once I do that, I'm all about letting her try some stuff from my plate. She's very curious and has loved everything I've let her get a taste of so far.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Gravitee posted:

I have a very blonde 15mo who hates to wear his hat. Any suggestions on how I can keep him from burning? The hat has a Velcro strap but he just rips it off. We have several trips and activities planned for this summer and I can't just keep him inside. Any hat or sunblock recommendations?

We've also got a blond 1 year old (1 today in fact) with a hat allergy, we just slather him with glops of max strength sunblock and try not to get him in the sun too much.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Mr Darcy posted:

We've also got a blond 1 year old (1 today in fact) with a hat allergy, we just slather him with glops of max strength sunblock and try not to get him in the sun too much.

Happy birthday to your babe :)

As far as sunblock, I like California Baby. It is expensive but no crazy chemicals from the novice research I've done.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Today was a good day.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Dear Jesus do I hate fevers and the fear of them that I have from my mom. My daughter had a fever of 102.8 and I didn't sleep a wink. I woke her up a few times to check her temperature and make her drink water. I'm terrified that her fever, if I'm not ever vigilant, will spike to 105 and her brains will boil. Of course I know this is all bullshit, but it's been hammered into me so often that I can't use my primate brain to suss it out logically. Kids are fun and I'm had glad that I've been able to keep her alive for over two years so far.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Ariza posted:

Dear Jesus do I hate fevers and the fear of them that I have from my mom. My daughter had a fever of 102.8 and I didn't sleep a wink. I woke her up a few times to check her temperature and make her drink water. I'm terrified that her fever, if I'm not ever vigilant, will spike to 105 and her brains will boil. Of course I know this is all bullshit, but it's been hammered into me so often that I can't use my primate brain to suss it out logically. Kids are fun and I'm had glad that I've been able to keep her alive for over two years so far.

Speaking as a nurse, acetaminophen is what you need here (provided your child has no allergy to it.)

On another note, anyone know how to get kids to JUST GO TO loving BED when its time, and not have some long drawn out ordeal involving tears and yelling?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Oxford Comma posted:

On another note, anyone know how to get kids to JUST GO TO loving BED when its time, and not have some long drawn out ordeal involving tears and yelling?

Setting and sticking to a routine helps. My kid chooses which color light to use for his nightlight and he turns out the light. He's 2 1/2, and we've been doing it since he was 1. While he may not go down right away, he usually just plays/sings in his crib until he passes out.

Question of my own - any advice on keeping a toddler from picking the scabs on his face? It's pretty gross. We keep his fingernails trimmed way back, put neosporin and band-aids on the ones he has now, and tell him to stop doing it. It's working like a charm. :rolleyes:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Oxford Comma posted:

The only thing that works for my daughter is ignoring her stall tactics. We do the same routine every night, and if she tantrums she has a choice to read a story and sing 3 songs or to just go to bed. She has chosen just going to bed twice and did cry for a few minutes.

If we give in, she gets more and more hysterical. If we stick with the routine, she calms down quickly.

I think tired kids act extra hyper and are even more irrational than normal toddlers. Mine is 2.5 for reference, I don't think this would work with a kid younger than 2.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 6 month old will be all happy and smiles but start crying and get super upset when we put his pajamas on. He calms down fast once we get the bottle in his mouth. My mom told me he's just having a tantrum and I need to put him in his crib and let him cry until he falls asleep when he does that. :allears:

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Alterian posted:

My 6 month old will be all happy and smiles but start crying and get super upset when we put his pajamas on. He calms down fast once we get the bottle in his mouth. My mom told me he's just having a tantrum and I need to put him in his crib and let him cry until he falls asleep when he does that. :allears:

Did she do that with you? Did you turn out ok?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

VorpalBunny posted:

Did she do that with you? Did you turn out ok?

My brother is 27 years old and lives in my parents basement with no college, job, or plans for the future and I've always had a strained relationship with my mom. She was never abusive or mean, but I've never been that close with her. I was a bad teenager because I would got moody according to her. I moved the gently caress out asap and I still get anxiety when I go back home.

She keeps telling me he needs to cry it out and I spoil him too much. She thinks its unheard of that he still sleeps in our room. I know there's a lot of controversy on this board about the cry it out method. I can sort of see both sides of it and I'm not making a judgement about it but her cry it out method isn't what usually gets talked about. She says I need to put him to bed and close the door and walk away. He'll eventually learn to not cry! She has some really old school ideas about baby raising.

We're actually really loving lucky and he sleeps like a champ 99% of the time. If he wakes up in the middle of the night and a light patting on the butt won't put him back to sleep, he's waking up for a reason like he's starving or he peed through his diaper.

Edit: I don't know if its a coincidence but both my brother and I have dealt with social anxiety and depression!

Alterian fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 22, 2013

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Alterian posted:

I can sort of see both sides of it and I'm not making a judgement about it but her cry it out method isn't what usually gets talked about.

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or anything. I'm just curious if the methods of our parents worked or not.

I know my parents had no idea how to raise me and it shows! Between my two kids, my mom has changed one diaper and never done anything like put them to bed or bathe them, even though she visits often to spend time with them (which means she reads a book while they play near her or she ignores them as they play in the backyard). Thanks mom! :thumbsup:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My mom is actually here for a month to help out while my husband does extra work over the summer for extra money (he teaches at a college so we had expected him to have it off) and she is pretty good at watching him during the day. She's just really crazy insistent that I NEED to let him cry it out.

You could make a case that I am pretty detached from my mom and my brother has weird issues. I have a hard time showing affection to her.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I had the in-laws constantly clamoring to see the baby, but then when I would bring him to them (literally drive 40-45 minutes to see them), they'd hold him for 5 minutes, then put him down and leave him alone "so he won't get spoiled." One of them even pointed out how when they play with him, they don't hold him or touch him and just lay him on the floor and play from a short distance away.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

VorpalBunny posted:

I know my parents had no idea how to raise me and it shows! Between my two kids, my mom has changed one diaper and never done anything like put them to bed or bathe them, even though she visits often to spend time with them (which means she reads a book while they play near her or she ignores them as they play in the backyard). Thanks mom! :thumbsup:

I thought my mother knew more, but was surprised that I had to explain to her how to change a diaper. My wife's family came out and they were all taking care of the baby, and volunteering to wake up with him at night so we could get some rest, and cooking dinner, and with my mother we got none of that. (My father is dead, so he has an excuse)

I mean, we love the kid because he is just so happy and curious and loves people, but can also go play on his own. But my mother looks at him and says she doesn't know how she'd deal with him, and that I was such a good quiet kid. The one time we tried to leave him with her anyway, he was napping to start with, but he had to be home within the hour anyway, since as soon as he woke up she just couldn't deal with him.

It makes me sad, because I'm so thankful that he's so outgoing and not as generally down she is, or as I can be, but she can't see it as anything but overwhelming.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
My mom is a good mom, but said my baby was "manipulating" me because I go to him when he cries. He was a few weeks old at that point. :confused:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
My husband's step mom said similar stuff to me, and we never go over there anymore. I cut her off when said she was going to get a wooden spoon with my daughter's name on it.

Mini Seahag is 2.5 and slept with us until she was 18 months old. She's awesome, smart, brave, and independent. We got a lot of flak for cosleeping but gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

He just started to be able to stand up on his own. Waking up to his little face peering over the edge of his co sleeper smiling at me is the best way to wake up. :3: