Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Does anyone watch Bar Rescue? One of the waitresses on an episode last night was named Unique. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

None of the names are good, but at least the other names are pretty obvious in terms of how they're supposed to be pronounced, even if only which syllable is supposed to be emphasized.

Oh gosh, the name written in white is literally "Navy." I shouldn't be surprised, I've met a baby "Indigo" before. "Indy" for short! :v:

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

CJacobs posted:

My dad has a co-worker named Ziggy as a friend on Facebook. And he is proud that, yeah, he is named after that Ziggy.

His last name is not Stardust but I am really hoping his middle name is.

When you said that Ziggy I thought you meant this Ziggy:

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

Maybe it's a joke. Like, a shower game, "make the worst name possible". Then again, today I processed paperwork for a girl named Krystleskye, so.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
seems like she is lakynn some common sense.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Today at work I spoke to a man by the name of Dick Swingle.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Holy crap. That's my name. Well... Sort of. That is a bastardised version of my name. The "real" name is Laken, you pronounce it so it rhymes with bacon.
It's baffling me that she would need to mess with the spelling of it to make it more unique. I have never met another Laken in my life, and when I was younger I got curious and researched it, I was the only Laken in England, and there were about 12 in America.
Even weird special snow flake names aren't good enough for her unique princess.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This is a source of much entertainment at work. Some of our favorites:

Koert Council
Anschwing “Chewy” Wang
Mina Mistry
Amy Amy
Mimi Go
Harry Poon

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Reading a paper at work today written by a Dr. Dirk Hellhammer

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Holy crap. That's my name. Well... Sort of. That is a bastardised version of my name. The "real" name is Laken, you pronounce it so it rhymes with bacon.
It's baffling me that she would need to mess with the spelling of it to make it more unique. I have never met another Laken in my life, and when I was younger I got curious and researched it, I was the only Laken in England, and there were about 12 in America.
Even weird special snow flake names aren't good enough for her unique princess.

So, a random google brought up the following info:

"The meaning of the name Laken is From The Lake

The origin of the name Laken is American

Alternate spellings: Lakin"

I am curious to hear the story, if any, behind your name. It's not a terrible-sounding name by any means, I'm just curious.

Also, as a young child, my younger brother used to stand up at the dinner table, take off all his clothes, and sing a song of his own creation called "Darken In the Darken," and after a few times my parents suggested he change up the words (which were "DARKEN IN THE DARKEN!!!!" repeated forever) and one of his alternative lyrics was "laken in the darken." Also "Sharken in the darken."

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
While volunteering at the urban mission today, I interacted with a Paizley and a Trinity. Trinity was about 13 and I can only imagine her mother had just seen The Matrix when she was born.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

While volunteering at the urban mission today, I interacted with a Paizley and a Trinity. Trinity was about 13 and I can only imagine her mother had just seen The Matrix when she was born.

It could also just be a weird Christian naming thing, since the Holy Trinity is kind of an important thing in most denominations. I used to know a guy named Trinity who was born way before The Matrix was made and came from a pretty hardcore Christian family.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Reading a paper at work today written by a Dr. Dirk Hellhammer
No. That is awesome.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

bringmyfishback posted:

So, a random google brought up the following info:

"The meaning of the name Laken is From The Lake

The origin of the name Laken is American

Alternate spellings: Lakin"

I am curious to hear the story, if any, behind your name. It's not a terrible-sounding name by any means, I'm just curious.

Also, as a young child, my younger brother used to stand up at the dinner table, take off all his clothes, and sing a song of his own creation called "Darken In the Darken," and after a few times my parents suggested he change up the words (which were "DARKEN IN THE DARKEN!!!!" repeated forever) and one of his alternative lyrics was "laken in the darken." Also "Sharken in the darken."

Basically, my Dad named me. He was friends with an Australian couple that had a daughter about three months before I was born, they named their baby Laken, my dad liked the name, so he swiped it.
I have no idea how the Australian couple came up with the name though.
And I do concede that having a name that is literally lake+n mean "from the lake" is pretty silly and very obvious. And sort of nonsensical now I actually think about it.
There's a place in England called Lakenheath, which is an RAF base, everyone assumes I'm named for that as my Dad was in the forces... But really it's because he was a copycat :3:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Basically, my Dad named me. He was friends with an Australian couple that had a daughter about three months before I was born, they named their baby Laken, my dad liked the name, so he swiped it.
I have no idea how the Australian couple came up with the name though.
And I do concede that having a name that is literally lake+n mean "from the lake" is pretty silly and very obvious. And sort of nonsensical now I actually think about it.
There's a place in England called Lakenheath, which is an RAF base, everyone assumes I'm named for that as my Dad was in the forces... But really it's because he was a copycat :3:

While conversely, I was born at RAF Lakenheath but my dad swiped a different name from his best English friend, and so I became the only Gareth in the whole of Illinois or Texas.

My sister was going to be named Megan, but right before she was born my mother, who was a teacher, noticed that all that young girls she met were being named Megan, so they jumped that ship for Gwyneth so that it would match my name. My sister's top three best friends in high school? All Megans.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 17:06 on Jun 20, 2013

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Is "LaDynasty" one of those racist urban myths like La-a or Oranjello? Because my dad claims to have met her.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

The Monkey Man posted:

Is "LaDynasty" one of those racist urban myths like La-a or Oranjello? Because my dad claims to have met her.

Maybe he met Lady Nasty and misunderstood?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Monkey Man posted:

Probably, but it sounds like it could be one of those "dumbass census people a hundred years ago just guessed at the spelling" surnames.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

The Monkey Man posted:

I would wager a guess that LaDynasty is legit. My best friend works with a LaGinger.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Today I met a Natarsha. Just, you know, Natasha with an extra R.

ms_hyena
Oct 10, 2012
"Marqcuss".

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Hampus. I know it's a fairly normal name, but it just sounds like some idiot monster name or something.
Laken means "bed sheet" in Norwegian, if that helps (it doesn't).

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

ms_hyena posted:

"Marqcuss".

One of my husband's co-workers is named Marques (pronounced Marcus). He's the director of their non-profit's middle school education and mentoring program and one of the smartest, most on-the-ball people I'll probably ever meet.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The part I don't get is that Dick is a nickname. He could simply call himself "Richard" and it wouldn't be an issue.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

ButWhatIf posted:

Marques (pronounced Marcus)

I know a father/son pair named Marques-pronounced-Marcus, so it can't be that uncommon.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Thank you, sincerely, for this story.

bringmyfishback posted:

Dudes who go by Dick, especially when their name is like 'Richard Head' or something, actually kind of make me smile. Like, way to be, dude.

Rino
Apr 2, 2009
Celebrity baby names are generally lovely and/or weird. Kanye West and Kim Kardashian apparently named their baby North. North West.

:thumbsup:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Rino posted:

Celebrity baby names are generally lovely and/or weird. Kanye West and Kim Kardashian apparently named their baby North. North West.

:thumbsup:
Apparently, they've also nicknamed it Nori. Like the seaweed that gets wrapped around sushi.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I know a woman named Kandi Barr. She's not a stripper, works at a grocery store.

Another employee of the store is named Texas Medley. That's a name for a steak seasoning blend, not for a man.

I have an ex-girlfriend with the surname Poon which is somewhat amusing, though it's a fairly common Chinese name.

Dusty Rhodes (already mentioned a couple of times) is fairly common. My family's bought several cars from a guy with that name.

My uncle Bob's legal name is Bobby Joe [lastname]. Not Robert, Bobby Joe is what's on his birth certificate. I have the feeling Uncle Jim's name isn't actually James, either.

My grandma was a bit crazy; she wanted to name one of my other uncles Oberon but Grandpa talked her out of it and named him Arthur Jr (and he goes by his middle name). My dad, on the other hand, she picked his middle name -- Percy. Luckily Dad got a perfectly reasonable first name and just denies having a middle name. Neither is bad, per se, just extremely outdated even back then in the 1950s.

IronClaymore posted:

My own IRL name is kinda messed up. It's mostly the same as, and pronounced like, a relatively normal name, but looks like someone did a typo.
I think fellow SA goon Boing explained once that her username is her actual last name. She's distantly related to the founder of the Seattle-based airplane company, but her branch of the family lost the "e" somewhere along the line. But it's still pronounced like the airplane company.

razorrozar posted:

When I was a senior in high school, I went to a different school than the previous three years due to a family situation. My English teacher was a very kind and intelligent lady, but she also happened to be very large, as in borderline morbidly obese. Her last name, which she had married into, was Hogg.
Former Texas governor "Big Jim" Hogg named his daughter Ima. Sure, it was the 19th century, but I doubt kids were any less adept at teasing other kids then than they are now.

I also know men named Shannon, Courtney, Stacy, Kelly, and Ashley.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I went to High School with a girl named December Summers

My parents decided to name me the two most popular baby names of the year I was born.
Amanda Brittany.
Every year in school I was in class with at least one other Amanda and at least one other Brittany. Neither my first nor my middle name was safe! :(

Right now where I work there's even another Amanda. And our last names both start with the same letter too! :argh:

If I had been a boy my parents would have named me Dax Brandon which is a little weird but I think it's awesome.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My sister in law is Dusty Farmer. I may have mentioned that before, but that post above reminded me.

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Buggiezor posted:

My parents decided to name me the two most popular baby names of the year I was born.
Amanda Brittany.
Every year in school I was in class with at least one other Amanda and at least one other Brittany. Neither my first nor my middle name was safe! :(

Right now where I work there's even another Amanda. And our last names both start with the same letter too! :argh:

If I had been a boy my parents would have named me Dax Brandon which is a little weird but I think it's awesome.

Hey, it could be worse! At least you're not named Starlyn. I want to travel back in time and berate my parents for thinking that was a good name. The weirdest part is that if I was a boy they'd have named me Thomas, which is totally normal and not at all awful and trashy.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

Grei Skuring posted:

Hampus. I know it's a fairly normal name, but it just sounds like some idiot monster name or something.
Laken means "bed sheet" in Norwegian, if that helps (it doesn't).

Yeah, I used to date a guy that was half Dutch. He found it hilarious for the entire time we were together.
My friends brother wanted to name his son Albi, and is planning on naming his daughter Queenie.

I kind of wish my name was Starlyn, I feel like I would have no choice but to dress like I was from the 80's Witt mad crimped hair, and maybe be the singer of a predominately keytar playing band.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Buggiezor posted:

Northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

GrrrlSweatshirt posted:

Hey, it could be worse! At least you're not named Starlyn. I want to travel back in time and berate my parents for thinking that was a good name. The weirdest part is that if I was a boy they'd have named me Thomas, which is totally normal and not at all awful and trashy.

OMG

I went to school with a Starlyn. Did you go to elementary & jr high in California, by any chance?

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.

Law posted:

Northern hemisphere or southern hemisphere?

Northern :(
I'm in the US.

A coworker recently had a baby and named him Jackson Jacobs. It sounds like some kind of made up reporter name. "Jackson Jacobs here with breaking news!!"
I'm just waiting for the day someone names their kid John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt. (La la la la la la la)

On a semi-related note, my fiance's name is Ethan. When I was in school I didn't know a single other person named Ethan and I thought it was a wonderful, handsome, and rare name. (At least around the eastern US) Now I work in a toy store and it seems EVERY little boy is named Ethan. It makes me sad my fiance isn't awesome and unique anymore.

EDIT: Well, my Fiance is awesome and unique still, just not his name. :)

Buggiezor has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Jun 23, 2013

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.

Red posted:

Does anyone watch Bar Rescue? One of the waitresses on an episode last night was named Unique. :psyduck:

This name will always remind me of the Morgan Spurlock created segment of the Freakonomics book/film entitled "A Roshanda by Any Other Name".

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

OMG

I went to school with a Starlyn. Did you go to elementary & jr high in California, by any chance?

Yes, I did! Maybe we know one another. There can't be many Starlyns out there. All of the schools I attended were in San Pedro- Does that match up with your recollection?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

There's a member where I work named "Marjuana," with the "i" missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Reposted from the Funny Pictures thread:

Popeahuntis posted:

My housemate at uni has the surname Fear.
Her father is a commander in the Navy.
Commander Fear.
His first name is Richard.
Commander Dick Fear