Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, you have to unlock the option to freely explore the quest areas. You unlock this by completing all of the actual quests for the area (the ones under 'ARKS Quest' at the counter), then doing the client order that Koffie gives you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A very special presentation - "How Not to Falz" or, "The Many Deaths of Rain Groinhammer (and one crazy awesome laser dodge)".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSDkjKbZ6KY

The correct way to dodge the hand-snake is apparently to bunch up right where it spawns from. Thanks to NextTime for that neat tip.

Of course, it doesn't always work out (linked for big GIF)

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 21, 2013

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now I don't feel as bad for dying a dozen times.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
You can always just get an all class hunter weapon and block it. It'll still hurt, but it won't kill you from full HP unless you're way under leveled and have terrible units.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

You can always just get an all class hunter weapon and block it. It'll still hurt, but it won't kill you from full HP unless you're way under leveled and have terrible units.

Or get an all class caster weapon and abuse the ridiculous amount of i-frames that Mirage Escape has.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Nothing better than siting in the tub in the middle of the arctic.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Guarding requires zero manual dexterity or timing, plus you can get the Blue Brush from Cressida's CO. Rangers totally got boned on their evasion skill, though. Mirage Escape gives a ton of i-frames with no investment, Step gets all the cool tricks from Step Attack, and Stylish Roll lets you move and shoot in midair with i-frames. Granted, if you need to use Dive Roll, you're probably too close, but they still could have done something cool with it.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

So... I've been following this thread since PSO2 was announced, quietly biding my time and hoping that we'd hear word on the the US release. Now I've got that sinking feeling that it's never going to happen. I've been on the fence about joining the Japanese servers for a while now. Just how much of a pain in the rear end is it to deal with the japanese captcha and sign up? Just how necessary is it to plan out and min-max your character? Is there a place in Nol Vacancy for someone like me, a casual MMO player who just wants to run around as an anime and punch monsters without fussing too much about the details?

I'm on the verge of taking the plunge, here. Someone push me over the edge.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Katsuma posted:

Just how much of a pain in the rear end is it to deal with the japanese captcha and sign up? Just how necessary is it to plan out and min-max your character? Is there a place in Nol Vacancy for someone like me, a casual MMO player who just wants to run around as an anime and punch monsters without fussing too much about the details?

I'm on the verge of taking the plunge, here. Someone push me over the edge.

You have to do one captcha, and all you have to do is keep the captcha in one window, then have this site in another window and play "match the Hiragana".

Planning isn't so big of a deal and there really isn't much to min-max. There are generalized/cookie cutter builds for every class that are more than enough for every situation (unless you want to aim for super low Time Attack runs in which case you'll need very specialized builds depending on what you play). Your Mag requires a bit of planning, but you're pretty much fine just leveling the X-ATK stat that is appropriate for whatever you wish to "main".

pidgeotto-san
May 1, 2003

Chance of a US release happening is really really slim because Jeff Gerstmann got word that the fan translation put Sega in an awkward position on the localization deal. People who will play this game already are playing on the JP server, and knowing sega's past dealings with markets outside of Japan they're not likely to bend over backwards to get something this obscure to be localized.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

I don't think I could survive it, to be honest:

Using the Vol set because I don't think there's much better for me at the moment.

Katsuma: Don't worry about minmaxing or anything at all, just have fun with it, the rest of us all do.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
On Hard, I was able to survive, with 5HP (I think I had 684 HP at the time). 4/5 times I was able to JG it for 0 damage.

Falz himself I seem to have a harder time with, but that's more because it was only the 2nd or 3rd time I've done him on hard (the first time was normal, and we just zerged the belly)

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

pidgeotto-san posted:

Chance of a US release happening is really really slim because Jeff Gerstmann got word that the fan translation put Sega in an awkward position on the localization deal. People who will play this game already are playing on the JP server, and knowing sega's past dealings with markets outside of Japan they're not likely to bend over backwards to get something this obscure to be localized.

Can you link me to where he says this? I'm curious now. I mean I could definitely see this happening, and if so, it would be nice for Sega JP to support western players then.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

Can you link me to where he says this? I'm curious now. I mean I could definitely see this happening, and if so, it would be nice for Sega JP to support western players then.

I'm pretty sure that the most 'support' we can ever expect from Sega is them not dropping an IP lock on us. In all honesty, I'm kinda surprised they haven't - I guess they really have accepted that the English players are just going to go the fan-translation route.

Can't wait for the story patch to be updated once all these summer event patches settle down.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
There's really nothing for them to gain by IP blocking us. The vast majority of the Japanese players seem like they couldn't care less about us being there, and you know that SEGA doesn't mind the extra cash they get. Beyond that, it helps their numbers look good, both in terms of simultaneous connections and total number of registered accounts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Surprise Noodle posted:

The vast majority of the Japanese players seem like they couldn't care less about us being there

Mostly, yeah. Every now and again, though.. yesterday after a particularly bad Turbofalz run, one of them sent me a whisper saying I was (roughly) "so terrible...".

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mostly, yeah. Every now and again, though.. yesterday after a particularly bad Turbofalz run, one of them sent me a whisper saying I was (roughly) "so terrible...".

To be fair, they probably would have said the same if you were from the moon, if that How Not To Falz video is any indication.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, I've never heard that. Not that it matters since if SoA would have actually loving communicated then the push to fan translate PSO2 wouldn't have been such a serious focus for the community.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

That Sega excuse is hot garbage. Fan translation only exists cause they sat on their thumbs forever, also many people refuse to play with just the patches cause they want to be able to read items and such. Nice to see that pretty much everyone everywhere is Soy Bombing the Kuna 'concerts'.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Some goons have been asking about Webmoney, so I think it'll just be easier if I post here.

Webmoney is a cashless payment thing here in Japan used by a lot of games, including PSO2. I live in Japan and can get you Webmoney which translates 1:1 to AC. The legality of this is about the same as buying a foreign prepaid iTunes card, or opening a Japan-only PSN account to buy games, which goons in the PS thread do regularly.

Webmoney translates 1:1 to the yen, and therefore to AC. It comes in fixed denominations:
2000 AC = 23 USD
3000 AC = 34 USD
5000 AC = 55 USD
10000 AC = 110 USD (please don't spend a hundred dollars on PSO2)

If you Paypal me the equivalent USD amount I can walk across the street to the kombini and buy you a Webmoney code, which you use as follows:
- On the Sega account page, choose to buy AC;
- When selecting your payment option, choose Webmoney;
- You'll be redirected to a page where you key in the Webmoney code;
- The corresponding amount of AC will be credited to your PSO2 account.

Things I cannot help you with:
- Japanese address and phone number. Just like the PSN goons, you'll have to find your own.
- Navigating Sega's Japanese account page. I think the usual places have guides on how to buy AC, so just follow those.
- The slightly higher rate is to cover Paypal's stupid exchange rate. I'm not interested in making any money off this.

If you're interested in this send me a PM. I'll compile a list of goons who want codes and do them all next week or summat like that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

You can use http://www.tenso.com/en/ to get a legitimate Japanese address. They're a middleman shipping company that lets foreigners ship online orders to them, then they ship the package to you. Just getting the address is free.

Miijhal posted:

Yeah, I've never heard that. Not that it matters since if SoA would have actually loving communicated then the push to fan translate PSO2 wouldn't have been such a serious focus for the community.

Reminds me of what I think some Capcom rep gave for delaying/not translating Monster Hunter titles: "You guys already imported it, why bother?"

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Dominic White posted:

To be fair, they probably would have said the same if you were from the moon, if that How Not To Falz video is any indication.

It's really irritating to do the level 60 quest and have to carry a bunch of extremely underleveled people who don't know what to do. I totally understand people wanting to get a chance at the drops when they're underleveled, but having several people who aren't contributing much slows everybody down. Also, the level 60 quest actually gives less XP than the level 40 one if you're below character level 50. If someone's not pulling their weight, it's pretty much inevitable that someone is going to unhappy about that.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Kessel posted:

*webmoney stuff*

Honestly, getting the WebMoney code is the easiest part of the whole ordeal that is purchasing AC. I just went to https://www.cn-usa.com and bought a code using my PayPal balance. If you don't feel like using a goon middleman, I got my code from CN-USA in less than 30 minutes after payment and I didn't have to provide any additional information (I believe one of the other sites people use requires you to photocopy your ID or something).

I only ever purchased AC/WebMoney one time, but I'll quote the process I went through from the old thread in case people are seriously considering doing it. It's not as bad as you'd think but you will still need to set aside a little time for it as there is a lot of stuff you have to do for the initial setup:

quote:

Use Google Chrome to auto-translate pages for this, it helps a lot. Some helpful tabs to keep open while doing this:

Lexilogos to get the various characters.
This site to get the kanji for a Japanese name. You'll later need to convert the name to katakana which isn't as hard as it sounds. Basically you take the English spelling of it and sound it out phonetically. So for Akio, the kanji is 昭夫. The katakana is A (ア), ki (キ), o (オ): アキオ. Use the Lexilogos link to get the right characters. Pick a Japanese first and last name, get the English spelling, kanji and katakana and put them in a unicode formatted .txt file.
PSO-W's thread on how to buy AC.
Bumped.org's guide on how to buy AC. I used both this and the PSO-W thread while purchasing.

1. Go to this page and click the amount you want to buy. I used my PayPal balance and didn't have to do anything special. There was a warning about exceeding some purchase limit but my code was still emailed to me and it did indeed appear on the screen right after the purchase.

2. Go here to get shipping information. If you select to use a PayPal account as payment they don't ask for any further information (not even the name of the account, as far as I can tell). You'll need the address, phone number, and zip code for your SEGA ID.

3. Create an account at WebMoney. I'm pretty sure this is not necessary, as I don't believe I actually had to log in to this account after my SEGA ID, but I'm not sure if it had just saved my login session. I'd do it just to be safe. Schubalts says this isn't necessary and as I said I didn't have to log in to it ever.

4. Log in here. Click Buy Arks Cash, then select WebMoney as your payment option (1 AC = 1 WebMoney Point = 1 Yen, so if you bought a 1000 point card, buy 1000 AC). Stealing this image from the PSOW guide on what goes where. When I signed up, it was slightly different from this image but still the same (kanji name, then katakana name, then the rest of the info).

5. If all goes well you're sent to the WebMoney page which has a box for you to put in the code given to you by CN-USA. I received my email in 2~3 minutes but they say to allow up to 24 hours, so if it takes a while don't be too worried. The number you're looking to enter here is the 16 character alpha-numeric "PIN".

And that's really it. Doing the initial setup is a bit of a pain (Japanese captchas :argh:) but it seems like if you set it up once then doing it again wouldn't be much of a hassle at all. Small sidenote but in case you're wondering I was able to stay signed in to the game and immediately received my AC, so you don't need to log out or anything to get it once you've paid.

e: vvv Yes this is true you will be paying a bit more by buying from any business if you're in the US. If you're just buying it one time and don't mind paying a bit more for a faster code then it's not too big a deal, but it would definitely add up if you're planning on maintaining a Premium subscription or whatever.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 22, 2013

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Buying the webmoney online also costs more due to royalties. Getting 3000 wm is around $31 bucks but they charge you $43.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Umberger posted:

I only ever purchased AC/WebMoney one time, but I'll quote the process I went through from the old thread in case people are seriously considering doing it. It's not as bad as you'd think but you will still need to set aside a little time for it as there is a lot of stuff you have to do for the initial setup:

Creating a Webmoney account is not required. You can just enter the card's code on the page that Sega redirects you to.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
It is, however, a good idea to use the Webmoney Wallet thing. Let's say you only want to buy 2000 Webmoney, either because you found a good price for that, or it's all you need, or whatever. SEGA doesn't actually offer a 2000 AC purchase option for using Webmoney, so you just add the code to your Wallet, then buy it in 2 chunks of 1000 AC.

Also, http://www.jpwm.net/shop/ is where I bought my AC the one time I did it, but the website doesn't seem to be up right now. Shame, because it was the cheapest option (at least at the time I bought some), I could pay with Paypal, and I got my code sent to me instantly upon payment.

However, buying it from someone actually in Japan is clearly a superior solution, so I'll consider doing that if I feel I need any AC after Episode 2 comes out next month. Depending on how much I end up playing my Duman, I may well need to get another 5-pack of inventory expanders.

e: VVVVVV - Oh, can you? I was misinformed, then.

Surprise Noodle fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 22, 2013

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor

Surprise Noodle posted:

It is, however, a good idea to use the Webmoney Wallet thing. Let's say you only want to buy 2000 Webmoney, either because you found a good price for that, or it's all you need, or whatever. SEGA doesn't actually offer a 2000 AC purchase option for using Webmoney, so you just add the code to your Wallet, then buy it in 2 chunks of 1000 AC.

The pre-paid code has its own balance. You can use the code as many times as you want till it's balance hits zero. You do not need to make a webmoney account.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I've been having issues with the client for the past week or so. I played for a few weeks in March/April and stopped for a while, but I started to get back into it. I'm not using the story patch, just the basic, small one (~6 MB) to translate the menus. After doing only one or two quests, my client drops to ~3 FPS upon returning to the lobby. Task manager shows that PSO is using 99% of my CPU and I have to end the process to be able to exit the game. Has a memory leak appeared in the past couple of patches?

Specs:

i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz
8 GB RAM
Radeon 7870 (2 GB VRAM)

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've been having issues with the client for the past week or so. I played for a few weeks in March/April and stopped for a while, but I started to get back into it. I'm not using the story patch, just the basic, small one (~6 MB) to translate the menus. After doing only one or two quests, my client drops to ~3 FPS upon returning to the lobby. Task manager shows that PSO is using 99% of my CPU and I have to end the process to be able to exit the game. Has a memory leak appeared in the past couple of patches?

Specs:

i5 3570k @ 4.2 GHz
8 GB RAM
Radeon 7870 (2 GB VRAM)

I've been getting this same poo poo since maintenance last Tuesday. I don't know if there's anything to really do about than wait for them to fix it in the next one. hopefully

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Aenslaed posted:

The pre-paid code has its own balance. You can use the code as many times as you want till it's balance hits zero. You do not need to make a webmoney account.

It's probably a good idea to have a webmoney account/wallet anyway, as any problems in obtaining AC means you're not getting any back unless you can claim it. Had a friend who lost money because of the AC problem that happened a month or two back.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Just a heads up, the next limited time quest, Arks Ship Inferno, will go up on Wednesday.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

So is Arks Cash basically required if you want to have any fun playing Pretty Princess Dress-Up in Space 2? Or are a good variety of costume pieces available for meseta, even if at an exorbitant price?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Protocol 5 posted:

Just a heads up, the next limited time quest, Arks Ship Inferno, will go up on Wednesday.

I am clueless and new, what's a limited time event

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
You can buy all the clothes and accessories from player shops. AC is pretty much for inventory expansion, premium, and character slots. All the clothes and accessories come from scratch cards so honestly unless you have money you want to literally burn you are better off buying what you want with meseta from player shops.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

waah posted:

I am clueless and new, what's a limited time event

Pretty self explanatory, really. There are quests that will only be available for a limited time, and will be removed at a predetermined date. They are under the last option on the main quest selection menu.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

It's really irritating to do the level 60 quest and have to carry a bunch of extremely underleveled people who don't know what to do. I totally understand people wanting to get a chance at the drops when they're underleveled, but having several people who aren't contributing much slows everybody down. Also, the level 60 quest actually gives less XP than the level 40 one if you're below character level 50. If someone's not pulling their weight, it's pretty much inevitable that someone is going to unhappy about that.

You could just outright say I'm poo poo at the game instead of beating around the bush like that, but thanks anyway I guess.

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!
Is FUN good for anything other than the scratch cards? I mean I know there's a store for it, but I mean comparatively.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
You can get some really neat instruments for your my room that actually play bits of a song. People can drop in and out with the different instruments, it's really cool.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

It's the hardest version of an end game quest. If you're not ready for it, do something else in the meanwhile. You'll get better XP and die less doing the Hard version. If you absolutely have to get a chance at those very hard drops, be prepared for more experienced players to be less than pleased about carrying you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Protocol 5 posted:

It's the hardest version of an end game quest. If you're not ready for it, do something else in the meanwhile. You'll get better XP and die less doing the Hard version. If you absolutely have to get a chance at those very hard drops, be prepared for more experienced players to be less than pleased about carrying you.

Well gee, it's too bad there's not a fistful of boosted Falz events during this 10-day period so you'd have lots of chances. Oh. No, hang on.

• Locked thread