Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Last Michael Keaton movie I watched was White Noise. Did that movie strangle his career for a while or was it something else?

edit: Wow, Michael did White Noise in 2005 and then in 2006 all he got was a bit part in Cars and some independent film, and then nothing until 2009.

And chalk me up as one of those guys who doesn't like most Will Ferrell comedy. I've seen him in Zoolander and while I disliked most of that movie, I liked his part there. I've also liked his shorts that I've seen on the internet. Just something about long-form Will Ferrell makes me unhappy.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Michael Keaton is awesome but Bill Murray was spot-on casting in Groundhog Day.

One fairly recent Michael Keaton movie is the Merry Gentleman, which he also directed. It's been a long while since I saw it but I remember it being really enjoyable. Kelly Macdonald is in it, too.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

CaptainHollywood posted:

Murray played the perfect dick. It's hard to imagine anyone else in the role.

The correct answer is Nicolas Cage of course.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Stare-Out posted:

Michael Keaton is awesome but Bill Murray was spot-on casting in Groundhog Day.

One fairly recent Michael Keaton movie is the Merry Gentleman, which he also directed. It's been a long while since I saw it but I remember it being really enjoyable. Kelly Macdonald is in it, too.

Pixar seems to like him, too- he was Ken in Toy Story 3 and Chick Hicks in Cars.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Honestly Keaton is the only guy who could have probably pulled off Groundhog Day aside from Murray. If you think about it, it's the kind of role that someone would have written for Chevy Chase but Chase would have been too hammy to pull off. That's how Murray fits into it so well. You can see the frustration on his face. You can see the exhaustion. Keaton could have pulled it off but wouldn't have had the magic that's Bill Murray.

Lotish posted:

Last Michael Keaton movie I watched was White Noise. Did that movie strangle his career for a while or was it something else?

He did nothing special between 1997 and 2010 after Jackie Brown (except Live from Baghdad, which I'd say is one of the better HBO films behind RKO 281). Jack Frost is specifically terrible but Keaton still manages to be enjoyable at times. He was originally cast as Jack in Lost (Jackie Brown, Jack Frost, Jack in Lost, I swear it's coincidence) but didn't like the fact it was a long term role. Maybe he just took it easy? Or as I like to believe, he was just grossly mishandled.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Honestly Keaton is the only guy who could have probably pulled off Groundhog Day aside from Murray. If you think about it, it's the kind of role that someone would have written for Chevy Chase but Chase would have been too hammy to pull off. That's how Murray fits into it so well. You can see the frustration on his face. You can see the exhaustion. Keaton could have pulled it off but wouldn't have had the magic that's Bill Murray.

He did nothing special between 1997 and 2010 after Jackie Brown (except Live from Baghdad, which I'd say is one of the better HBO films behind RKO 281). Jack Frost is specifically terrible but Keaton still manages to be enjoyable at times. He was originally cast as Jack in Lost (Jackie Brown, Jack Frost, Jack in Lost, I swear it's coincidence) but didn't like the fact it was a long term role. Maybe he just took it easy? Or as I like to believe, he was just grossly mishandled.

Actually it wasn't supposed to be. The original plan was for them to hype Michael Keaton as the star all summer, commercials, interviews, previews, the whole nine yards, and then kill him off 10 minutes into the show. Remember when the guy got sucked into the engine? That was supposed to be him.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hasters posted:

Actually it wasn't supposed to be. The original plan was for them to hype Michael Keaton as the star all summer, commercials, interviews, previews, the whole nine yards, and then kill him off 10 minutes into the show. Remember when the guy got sucked into the engine? That was supposed to be him.

The story I head was that he was originally going to be Jack and since he didn't want to commit to a series his character would die at the end of the pilot and Kate would become the 'leader' of the group. They changed it up when he didn't take the role and Matthew Fox was cast instead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What I've always heard is he was supposed to die on the plane, where Greg Grunberg does. They created the pilot character when they changed the plans for Jack.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Robert Denby posted:

Everybody forgets "The Other Guys". Ferrel gets some good moments in, especially his backstory that he was a pimp during college, plus the action is surprisingly well done, Micheal Keaton is hysterical, and the bits with Dwayne Johnson and Samuel L. Jackson are basically worth the price of admission alone.

EDIT: A poster.

I did not know Justin Timberlake had morphed into Jeremy Renner.

The little bit of light on his neck makes Affleck look like a priest at first glance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wow. That's from the Amores Peros/21 Grams/Babel guy?
On one hand I'd love for a departure from his style, on the other I'd take a dour intersecting narrative involving a Birdman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Andie MacDowell has the presence of a shower rod so it really is 100% (200? 300?) the Keaton show.

Thats one career I'll never understand. I never found Andie MacDowell all that good looking even, she has the presence of a shower rod but also the build of one. I've never seen her in anything where her performance wasn't completely forgettable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She's like Geena Davis if Geena Davis couldn't act or had no charisma.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Thats one career I'll never understand. I never found Andie MacDowell all that good looking even, she has the presence of a shower rod but also the build of one. I've never seen her in anything where her performance wasn't completely forgettable.

Um, let me show you a little movie called, oh I don't know, HUDSON HAWK?

Actually, looking back, she was even the worst part of *that* movie. And David Caruso is in that movie.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hudson Hawk is 100% pure cheese and I will fistfight anybody who badmouths it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hudson Hawk is a goddamn masterpiece.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

Um, let me show you a little movie called, oh I don't know, HUDSON HAWK?

Actually, looking back, she was even the worst part of *that* movie. And David Caruso is in that movie.

Yea in every decent Andy Macdowell movie there is another actor that completely carries the whole thing. She contributes nothing.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Am I the only person who saw this poster and misread the title as Blade Runner?

I almost had an aneurysm.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

An aneurysm from being too happy?

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Toady posted:

Speaking of which, I have a theory Groundhog Day would have been better with Keaton instead of Murray. Murray was fighting with Ramis at the time and comes off as disengaged.

You know what I was imagining the other day? Michael Keaton in Die Hard. It works perfectly. Just picture him going "fists with your toes..."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Hoop Dreams posted:

An aneurysm from being too happy?
I...don't...know...

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DNS posted:

You know what I was imagining the other day? Michael Keaton in Die Hard. It works perfectly. Just picture him going "fists with your toes..."

A complaint I've heard leveled at the Die Hard series is Bruce Willis is pretty much the definition of a bad-rear end now, when the original Die Hard was built on the premise of taking a guy who wasn't bad rear end and having them take that bull by the horns. Bruce was originally known for, what, romantic comedies before Die Hard?

Keaton could probably do a pretty good Die Hard, is what I'm saying.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Die Even Harder Still, starring Robert Pattison.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Lotish posted:

Bruce was originally known for, what, romantic comedies before Die Hard?

Television, he was in Moonlighting for 5 years before Die Hard.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

Die Even Harder Still, starring Robert Pattison.

Be a short movie, seeing what happened to Pattison in the last movie he was in about a building getting attacked by terrorists.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Strange Matter posted:

It's a crossover between Blade Runner and The Kite Runner.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Here have a poster for a Sundance movie I heard was boring:

and a better poster for the same supposedly boring movie:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Judging by the title, I'm assuming it's a Tyler Perry movie?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The first poster much better suits the review tagline of "A grand, doomed love story". Mind you, I have no idea how accurate it is, but it sounds enticing as hell.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
As I said, everyone I talked to at Sundance that saw it said it was really dull. I have no idea what that means though. I'm still gonna keep my eye on it though. Here's the description from the Sundance site:

Sundance posted:

Bob Muldoon and Ruth Guthrie, an impassioned young outlaw couple on an extended crime spree, are finally apprehended by lawmen after a shootout in the Texas hills. Although Ruth wounds a local officer, Bob takes the blame. But four years later, Bob escapes from prison and sets out to find Ruth and their daughter, born during his incarceration.

The barren landscapes of David Lowery’s poetic feature evoke the mythology of westerns and saturate the dramatic space with fatalism and an aching sense of loss. Aided by powerfully restrained performances by Casey Affleck, Rooney Mara, and Ben Foster, Lowery incorporates an unnerving tension into the film, teetering it at the edge of violence.

The beautiful, irreconcilable dilemma of the story is that Ruth—compelled by the responsibilities of motherhood and her evolving relationship with the deputy she shot—remains haunted by her intense feelings for Bob. Each of them longs for some form of peace. Ironically, it’s Bob, the unrepentant criminal trapped in the romantic image of a bygone past, who is driven by an almost righteous sense of clarity. Following in the footsteps of Badlands and Bonnie and Clyde, Lowery’s humanism transcends the genre

So, it does sound like it could be good. "Boring" is one of the least useful things I can hear about a movie, even if that person ends up being right.

Edit: Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6FhsOYXRAY

Speaking of Sundance have a poster for a movie I did see. The movie sucked but I like the poster )even if it's kind of minimalist and I know all you hate that).

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 21, 2013

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Not sure how that would look on a wall, but that's perfect for scrolling.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Yeah, that's a poster that does minimalism right, in that you get across what the film is about (a horror movie set in the woods I'm assuming) in a way that's visually somewhat interesting.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Have there been many movie posters meant to be seen on a computer? I know there was that Wolverine poster that had animated rain, but it seems like there is a lot of fun things that could be done using a device display as a medium, like the above poster that works for scrolling.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A simple idea isn't really what people mean when they pillory minimalism.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

The problem with most minimalist posters is that they're too complicated, not too simple.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

The Riddle of Feel posted:

The problem with most minimalist posters is that they're too complicated, not too simple.

Exactly. The minute you add a paper texture or a gradient to your minimalist poster, it stops being minimalist. People spend too much time making it look like it's something somebody crinkled up and threw away and not enough time coming up with meaningful symbolic representations of the film.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Toady posted:

Speaking of which, I have a theory Groundhog Day would have been better with Keaton instead of Murray. Murray was fighting with Ramis at the time and comes off as disengaged.
It also would have been a funny actor gag since Michael Keaton is from Pittsburgh and Punxsutawney is not that far.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Ferrell over did it with the character movies. No different than what happens to a lot of actors. Same thing happened to Jack Black.
I'm glad that both Black and Ferrell seem to be doing more different roles now along with their normal character movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Terminal Entropy posted:

Have there been many movie posters meant to be seen on a computer? I know there was that Wolverine poster that had animated rain, but it seems like there is a lot of fun things that could be done using a device display as a medium, like the above poster that works for scrolling.

The poster for Excision works the same way as In Fear's does when you scroll down.

http://i.imgur.com/0uiW2vO.jpg

(Linked for huge.)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wow. That's from the Amores Peros/21 Grams/Babel guy?
On one hand I'd love for a departure from his style, on the other I'd take a dour intersecting narrative involving a Birdman.
Harvey Birdman done completely straight as a court drama.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

achillesforever6 posted:

Harvey Birdman done completely straight as a court drama.

The marketing would have to make it look like the show but the actual film is a tense court room thriller. I think that is the only way to do a Harvey Birdman film.

"How was Harvey Birdman?"

"It was this weird legal drama"

"yeah, that's what the show was-"

"No, like it wasn't funny at all. There were no jokes"

"yeah you have to 'get' the humour of it"

"No it was an actual court case film"

"Right, that's what the show was. Can't wait"

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lizard Combatant posted:

The marketing would have to make it look like the show but the actual film is a tense court room thriller. I think that is the only way to do a Harvey Birdman film.

Maybe do it where half the theatres get a serious court room drama while the other half gets a zany case about the Cattanooga Cats.