Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I want to give the expansion the full three months; but we may be seeing everyone's favorite Romulan again.

You should probably think about teaming up with Vice Admiral Steiner. He brings the thunder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
You guys should only try to melee the Behemoth if you want the movie to completely and utterly fail as you clearly start to flail at cloth. I'm not saying don't do it, because it would be hilarious to see Hogarth lose his poo poo.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Trundel posted:

You guys should only try to melee the Behemoth if you want the movie to completely and utterly fail as you clearly start to flail at cloth. I'm not saying don't do it, because it would be hilarious to see Hogarth lose his poo poo.

They can totally fix it in post.

Actually I love the image of the lance moving in to punch the Behemoth and becoming trapped under a giant cloth.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

If there isn't a DFA in this movie I can't feel good about releasing it to the public.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

If there isn't a DFA in this movie I can't feel good about releasing it to the public.

Nobody has jump jets except the Panther

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That didn't stop the Behemoth from showing up. I suppose the Atlas II could climb the hill and then fall onto the Dragon this turn (fix it in post!), but I do think that crossing the streams should be the main event at this point.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

PoptartsNinja posted:

Bah, this is a movie. Hell, they're already deliberatly confusing 'light mech' with 'heavy mech' what's to stop them from putting secret jump jets on an awesome. :colbert:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

but I do think that crossing the streams should be the main event at this point.

Ugh, fair enough.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
We'll see what happens when the Banshee activates Berserk Mode!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 20, 2013

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

We'll see what happens when the Banshee activates Berserk Mode!

Crap, and I was trying (rather poorly, I must admit) to keep that as a surprise.

No Berserk Mode this turn, I think, but more moving up to Cross the Streams. Let's hope it goes better this time. Orders in.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 29, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Welp, time to crack-open Tac Ops. I wasn't expecting to have to use it because I figured y'guys realized the mission would end if you actually kill one of the OpForce pilots. Time to break out the optional ejection rules and see if the ejection system worked!

:psyduck:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 22, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Welp, time to crack-open Tac Ops. I wasn't expecting to have to use it because I figured y'guys realized the mission would end if you actually kill one of the OpForce pilots. Time to see if the ejection system works!

:psyduck:

Hahaha! Beautiful!

Nicely done killing a stuntman.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Come on, it's a non-democratic state making war-time propaganda, there's no way they can't hush that up. If anything it might inspire some Crow-like legends about how the footage of the pilot getting killed was totally used in the final cut of the film.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goddammit we don't have TIME to process their life insurance! Much less fighting off the people from Health and Safety again. No justice footing the stuntmen! Or facepunching them either! For god's sake, do you want to get sued? Again?!

Which one of you badgers forgot this is supposed to be a movie shoot? Malachite, is this your doing! It was wasn't it. I've neglected the question marks for a reason.

Runa fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 22, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

That didn't stop the Behemoth from showing up. I suppose the Atlas II could climb the hill and then fall onto the Dragon this turn (fix it in post!), but I do think that crossing the streams should be the main event at this point.

MACHO MAN ELBOW DROP DO IT!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Speaking on behalf of Defiance Industries, I'm very glad we ended up not sponsoring. Now I'm worried we got a real Turn Off the Dark on our hands.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Right, so, this update is going to require a little more planning than I'd previously anticipated. I'm going to need some extra time to spin this.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Ah poo poo, this can't be good (for the poor stuntman).

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Well, wait.

Wouldn't a movie like this use either simulators to "puppet" the mechs for the fight, with closeups and the "battle damaged" Gundam-esque discussions being done as a different set of shots?

I mean, I don't think that a tank in a WW2 movie has any stuntmen in it when it goes kablooey.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calax posted:

Well, wait.

Wouldn't a movie like this use either simulators to "puppet" the mechs for the fight, with closeups and the "battle damaged" Gundam-esque discussions being done as a different set of shots?

I mean, I don't think that a tank in a WW2 movie has any stuntmen in it when it goes kablooey.

You aren't thinking like a Lyran.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Calax posted:

Well, wait.

Safety regulations are LosTech.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Calax posted:

That's mentioned. Hogarth doesn't think simulators are realistic enough (probably because he loses in them), so he uses real `Mechs in his movies. It's not like BattleTech has CGI.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can only assume Hogarth ran and kicked the poor Dragon in the head since the ranged attacks are all pyrotechnics rather than live fire. Which reminds me. Didn't the Black Thorns physically assault Wolf's Dragoons during a similarly simulated combat exercise?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
I will laugh heartily if Skye gets their hands on the actual battle footage and release their own propaganda film about how the Archon and the Hogarth deliberately play with young mechwarrior lives for their amusement.

:edit: hahaha, 'the Hogarth'.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I can only assume Hogarth ran and kicked the poor Dragon in the head since the ranged attacks are all pyrotechnics rather than live fire. Which reminds me. Didn't the Black Thorns physically assault Wolf's Dragoons during a similarly simulated combat exercise?

...Yes. Yes, they did.

:negative:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Oh, Hogarth. :allears:

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Oh my god this update is going to be beautiful. :f5:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's mentioned. Hogarth doesn't think simulators are realistic enough (probably because he loses in them), so he uses real `Mechs in his movies. It's not like BattleTech has CGI.

Uh, I'm pretty sure we learned from the Cartoon that CGI is called Enhanced Imaging in the 31st Century and only the Clans have it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Scenario continues, except the stuntmen mutiny and it becomes an ACTUAL battle. New objective? Keep them from murdering Hogarth. Behemoth is a mockup so it's actually harmless in a real fight. Only physical attacks do real damage. All "damage" inflicted so far by special effects is restored.

Okay probably not, but it makes me laugh.

Edit: VVV Oh right, yeah. Boy does that sound wasteful and needlessly dangerous! Oh, Hogarth!

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 22, 2013

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Dolash posted:

Scenario continues, except the stuntmen mutiny and it becomes an ACTUAL battle. New objective? Keep them from murdering Hogarth. Behemoth is a mockup so it's actually harmless in a real fight. Only physical attacks do real damage. All "damage" inflicted so far by special effects is restored.

Damage from special attacks is real damage because the mechs are all wired with explosives, and when the ranged attacks hit they go off. Nothing would be in structure, though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Dolash posted:

Edit: VVV Oh right, yeah. Boy does that sound wasteful and needlessly dangerous! Oh, Hogarth!

Yeah, to be perfectly frank, there's a standard chance of death clause in stuntman contracts. I'm not sure if using footage of someone dying is legal, but stuntpeople are aware they are risking life and limb while performing stunts.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
As long as they don't kill any horses, I'm okay with it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yeah, to be perfectly frank, there's a standard chance of death clause in stuntman contracts.

These are Nagelring cadets.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

This discussion raises a good point though. Are the Humane Society's auditing techniques lostech? Or have we just lost the advances made beyond the early 20th century's animal husbandry standards?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

These are Nagelring cadets.

"Training accident." So long as none of them have a relative whose last name is Steiner, the production should be okay.

Although the situation does remind me of a video about a crazy director I saw recently.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 22, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

"Training accident." So long as none of them have a relative whose last name is Steiner, the production should be okay.

But if his last name is Steiner... :allears:

GenericServices
Apr 28, 2010
This is going to be the best show ever.

Not the movie, the upcoming negligent homicide trial.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

GenericServices posted:

This is going to be the best show ever.

Not the movie, the upcoming negligent homicide trial.

"Reports are coming in that Lohengrin officers are pursuing a white Atlas in a low-speed chase. We take you now to the scene..."

"My name is A.S. You know who I am, God dammit! I got Hogarth in the car!"

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"Reports are coming in that Lohengrin officers are pursuing a white Atlas in a low-speed chase. We take you now to the scene..."

"My name is A.S. You know who I am, God dammit! I got Hogarth in the car!"

High speed chase, The police are all in urbanmechs and other 2/3s.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Hmm, hey guys! I just remembered a fervoured wish of mine for this thread! Someone needs to pick up a mech leg/light mech and use it as a club against the Behemoth!

Also a complete and random question because I'm currently building a character for another system entirely, but has Battletech ever had any kind of Mech net? Like combat netting designed to cover and trip up mechs that can be thrown or fired from a ballistic hardpoint? I ask because I thought of it and immediately started laughing, hoping that it might have happened.

Trundel fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Yeah, to be perfectly frank, there's a standard chance of death clause in stuntman contracts. I'm not sure if using footage of someone dying is legal, but stuntpeople are aware they are risking life and limb while performing stunts.

Drift left! Shoot the Atlas! Get close to the explosion! Kick the Raven! Cut! Too slow!

• Locked thread