Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

If the court grew from the seed bismuth, maybe it just kept on growing past what was actually needed by the people living there.

That would explain a lot, actually.

Honestly the entire setting is really anachronistic. How did the seed bismuth know to grow all those concrete buildings that just happen to resemble the houses constructed in Annie's time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Laser Cow posted:

She raises animals for vivisection. This comic is so uplifting.

Is it explicitly vivisection? I thought it was just generalized experiments.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Blackheart posted:

Tormenting? Ysengrin doesn't remember any tormenting going on. :v:

Yeah, that bit of speculation hinged on Ysengrin realizing it. I figured that may be the one thing to crush his faith in Coyote if it ever happened. He actually seemed (the one time we saw it) utterly fearful of Coyote during that, no longer blindly loyal and trusting.

Fruits of the Sea posted:

How did the seed bismuth know to grow all those concrete buildings that just happen to resemble the houses constructed in Annie's time?

Because those houses do not exist! :coyote:

Do we even know if the seed bismuth is a literal seed and not some weird metaphor?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

VictorGrunn posted:

Do we even know if the seed bismuth is a literal seed and not some weird metaphor?

What we know so far about the Seed Bismuth and The Court:

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

Zenzirouj posted:

What we know so far about the Seed Bismuth and The Court:

A comprehensive summary right here.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

VictorGrunn posted:

It's just bismuth:

Also what if all those graves grew out there too, and they already have names and dates on them...future dates!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

idonotlikepeas posted:

If the court grew from the seed bismuth, maybe it just kept on growing past what was actually needed by the people living there.
That was the idea in Philemon. A well digger finds himself transported to a strange island, builds a Robinson Crusoe-style shelter, and the shelter grows with time. It eventually became a palace, then ended up covering the entire island. Inhabitants? Still just him, and the Robinson Crusoe-style servant (who complains about all the work it is keeping an ever-growing mansion tidy).

VictorGrunn posted:

Judging from the Jones & Randy Disaster Productions Present: A Reconstitution of the Founding of Gunnerkrigg Court episode, it was probably a literal seed. Maybe not in the biological meaning; but it was, from Jones' best guess, relatively tiny, it was buried, and the Court grew from it.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

VictorGrunn posted:

Because those houses do not exist! :coyote:

I've been taking it as a metaphor because of the alchemical themes of GC.

I find alchemy fascinating, and have read way too much about it, which is part of what attracted me to the comic. The theme and imagery of alchemy means I can take nothing in the comic as anything other than metaphor.

Remember, there are two things we know for sure about alchemists;

1. They were trying to transmute lead into gold.
2. They spoke exclusively in metaphors.

As an addendum; Whether by intention of happenstance, Tom picking Bismuth for this is interesting. It was sort of an alchemical element with the metal isolated in the 18th century, right at the end of alchemy's run when modern chemistry was phasing it out. Its late arrival means it shows up in alchemical manuscripts from the time period, but it's such a recent discovery it fits in neither Paracelsus' list of alchemical elements (Salt, Mercury, Sulphur) nor John Dees' (Gold, Silver, Copper, Iron, Tin, Mercury, Lead), both from the 16th century. There's no real use for Bismuth in alchemical manuscripts, but it's there and mentioned, just never assigned purpose. So that's a huge gap Tom can work in and we have no idea what he's drawing from or suggesting or using.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Judging from the Jones & Randy Disaster Productions Present: A Reconstitution of the Founding of Gunnerkrigg Court episode, it was probably a literal seed. Maybe not in the biological meaning; but it was, from Jones' best guess, relatively tiny, it was buried, and the Court grew from it.

Not necessarily. It could have been anything people could circle around. My guess is a little kid with extraordinary powers, possibly one bred from both sides. We already have a little girl with this story named Antimony, why not give her a predecessor named Bismuth?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cat Mattress posted:

That was the idea in Philemon. A well digger finds himself transported to a strange island, builds a Robinson Crusoe-style shelter, and the shelter grows with time. It eventually became a palace, then ended up covering the entire island. Inhabitants? Still just him, and the Robinson Crusoe-style servant (who complains about all the work it is keeping an ever-growing mansion tidy).

I wonder what the purple flower deal was with Annie and Renard in that chapter. It's obviously somewhat similar to the flower business she did with Andrew and Parley, but also different obviously. Does anyone have any idea what kind of flower it could be?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I think I mentioned this before, but it's worth noting that antimony and bismuth have similar chemical properties. Quoting the Wikipedia article: "Bismuth, a pentavalent poor metal, chemically resembles arsenic and antimony... Bismuth metal has been known from ancient times, although until the 18th century it was often confused with lead and tin, which share some physical properties. The etymology is uncertain, but possibly comes from Arabic bi ismid, meaning having the properties of antimony or German words weisse masse or wismuth ("white mass"), translated in the mid sixteenth century to New Latin bisemutum.". Both of them are used in cosmetics, which always made me wonder a little about Annie's eye makeup.

I'd say in terms of the seed, it's not going to be exactly literally a seed, but the fact that they consistently say the court grew from it suggests that it performs the function of a seed, starting a process that generated the buildings.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hetty is seriously wigging me out, but that's not stopping me from being on the edge of my seat, as usual. I'm also glad that I was without much internet during the beginning of the chapter, so I got to read all the slow pages at once!

Also:

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Here is a slightly more uplifting image of Renard as a young lad, posted by Tom on tumblr.

What the gently caress, Siddell?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

ShadeofBlue posted:

It's true, Renard was one of those ugly fat babies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SHISHKABOB posted:

I wonder what the purple flower deal was with Annie and Renard in that chapter. It's obviously somewhat similar to the flower business she did with Andrew and Parley, but also different obviously. Does anyone have any idea what kind of flower it could be?

I think it was just Jones starting her Parley/Smitty OTP operation subtly; like she's just distributing flowers around in a neutral way. Then when this fails, she pushes Smitty a bit.

Alternatively, she may have just ensured somehow that everyone would be teleported. She kept a flower herself. How exactly this could have worked would involve the flowers' association by coming from the same bunch, Parley's attraction to them, and Smitty's powers to keep things neat and orderly.

scary ghost dog posted:

Not necessarily. It could have been anything people could circle around. My guess is a little kid with extraordinary powers, possibly one bred from both sides. We already have a little girl with this story named Antimony, why not give her a predecessor named Bismuth?

That's kinda sinister, given the examples we have of things growing from bodies. (Dead Tick Tock; dead tree dogs, dead armbranch.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 21, 2013

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Here's my understanding so far:

-Court originated from the "seed bismuth"
-there are examples of court technology growing, like plants.

-actual bismuth crystals, when grown, are very geometric and have similarities to castles or mazes.
-manually growing crystals requires a small "seed" of the material to build on. Example: man-made diamonds have 2 methods, being chemically grown OR made via high pressure machines. Both require a tiny seed diamond to get started.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

ShadeofBlue posted:

Reynard used to be a bit more of a Trickster. Seems like he doesn't really have it in him anymore.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Oz posted:

Here's my understanding so far:

-Court originated from the "seed bismuth"
-there are examples of court technology growing, like plants.

-actual bismuth crystals, when grown, are very geometric and have similarities to castles or mazes.
-manually growing crystals requires a small "seed" of the material to build on. Example: man-made diamonds have 2 methods, being chemically grown OR made via high pressure machines. Both require a tiny seed diamond to get started.

Could the ether the court is harvesting be the raw material that adds to the size of the buildings?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Red Queen posted:

Could the ether the court is harvesting be the raw material that adds to the size of the buildings?

Probably works the same way a forest works. Forests just sort of you know grow and stuff and hang out. Forests don't get old and dilapidated after a while, they are in a constant state of growth and renewal and reusing the old stuff to make new stuff. I doubt very much that the actual Court people are in control of this process, or at least they are in much the way a bunch of animals are in control of the way a forest grows.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Here is a slightly more uplifting image of Renard as a young lad, posted by Tom on tumblr.

Renard on the left would totally be going "BLYEAHBLYEAHBLYEAHBLYEAHBLYEAH" as he dug into a meal of fresh mouse

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Probably works the same way a forest works. Forests just sort of you know grow and stuff and hang out. Forests don't get old and dilapidated after a while, they are in a constant state of growth and renewal and reusing the old stuff to make new stuff. I doubt very much that the actual Court people are in control of this process, or at least they are in much the way a bunch of animals are in control of the way a forest grows.

I think this may be why, as mentioned earlier, the buildings in the court we see are all relatively modern, looking maybe... victorian? at the oldest. The Court grows all the time, the buildings change as new growth occurs.

I agree, I think the Court (place) is basically the Court's (organisation's) more man made, technological version of the Gillie forest. It itself grows and changes and "lives" regardless of its inhabitants. We haven't seen the edge of the court aside from its border with the forest, but I wouldn't be surprised if it either stretches to a natural boundary (like a bend in the Annan) or if there are dudes hanging out at the edges making sure the tiny sheds and bricks that occasionally pop up get trimmed.

We saw that the Tic Tocs grow and expand when buried in the ground. It could be the Tic Tocs's have a tiny Seed within them, or it could be a combination of certain related technology combined with somehow "fertile" soil of the Gillie Forest? perhaps the Court and Seed Bismuth could only have taken root here?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

A Dapper Walrus posted:

He's so round. Give him to me. :3: Or make a plushy! I'd buy one.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Hetty isn't annoyed Renard is visiting this grave, she's annoyed that he's got to visit all of them. Yep, he killed all of those people, total badass back in the day.

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Why does the left image strongly remind me of something from Dexter's Lab?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I can totally see the Renard on the left going "Hey Ysengrin! Ysengrin! Hey! Ysengrin! Hey Ysengrin! Yyyyyyysengriiiiiin! Hey! Hey! Hey Ysengrin!" for two hours straight.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Probably the Court and Forest initially grew together, before they were separated at the Annan Waters. Many of its inhabitants were likely forest-dwellers who left when the two divided.

Although we really have no idea of the size of the Court's population.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Well, yes, but one of the most important ingredients in keeping a forest growing is sunlight, a.k.a. energy being input. It could be that whatever process keeps the court growing needs a constant supply of etheric energy, but can't gather it on its own.

Also, all this talk of growing the court has me wondering about Kat's plans for "growing" Robot's new body.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
God I hope it turns out Mort was the kid he killed

e: which sounds horrible but, well

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Kantesu posted:

Well, yes, but one of the most important ingredients in keeping a forest growing is sunlight, a.k.a. energy being input. It could be that whatever process keeps the court growing needs a constant supply of etheric energy, but can't gather it on its own.

Also, all this talk of growing the court has me wondering about Kat's plans for "growing" Robot's new body.

She perfects the process, then *SPANG* the court's founders appear in a carefully orchestrated time burp and abscond with Robot, as he is the seed bismuth. *VOOP*

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zorak posted:

Have Mort and Renard ever been in the same room or seen one another?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Zorak posted:

Unlikely; we already have a different idea of Mort's death. Whenever he appears we can see part of a phrase written on the wall (first seen just before his first appearance), which is almost certainly "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori," or "It is sweet and right to die for your country."

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I always wanted, but never had the nerve to request a picture of Mort when he was alive when Tom did commissions. I just didn't want to be the rear end in a top hat to make Tom say, "No, he'll turn out to be significant later" or "Sure, he'll never be that significant in-comic so it's not a spoiler."

I just really, really want to see him alive. :(

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

Kantesu posted:

Growing non-living stuff has been a pursuit of Kat's from nearly the beginning of the comic.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There's a massive Young's Park that we already know exists, with a forest in it. We also know that it is sufficiently into the human-occupied part of the Court itself that it is a substantial journey away, even by maglev train.

We can also guess that the entire park is surrounded by high-rise buildings, since every horizon shone from Young's Park has yet more buildings. The single octopus scene is actually the first instance we've ever had indicating that the universe the Court exists in even has a boundary.

Given that the Court is apparently old and that humans only occupy a minority of the buildings, it is seems reasonable to suppose that the robots maintain the place. The students travel substantial distances just to go to a robot barber, someone has to keep the maglevs running.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?

ronya posted:

The single octopus scene is actually the first instance we've ever had indicating that the universe the Court exists in even has a boundary.

The Donlans have gone on holiday around Europe. Kat even sent Annie some pictures.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I've always wondered how the court fits in as far as Great Britain is concerned.

Is it a secret, like Hogwarts? I suspect its in the wilderness somewhere.
Is it known by the UK people or perhaps only the government or perhaps not at all?
It appears large enough to be a city. is it considered a city by the UK or just a school with a large campus?

This is what I think about.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Oz posted:

I've always wondered how the court fits in as far as Great Britain is concerned.

Is it a secret, like Hogwarts? I suspect its in the wilderness somewhere.
Is it known by the UK people or perhaps only the government or perhaps not at all?
It appears large enough to be a city. is it considered a city by the UK or just a school with a large campus?

This is what I think about.

I always figured it was outside the bounds of the world (or something), as I remember it being mentioned that the court actually wasn't within the bounds of anywhere that exists in Great Britain.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I always figured it was outside the bounds of the world (or something), as I remember it being mentioned that the court actually wasn't within the bounds of anywhere that exists in Great Britain.

It's possible, but if so how are they able to travel to the normal world? Do you remember where that was mentioned?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The River Annan is a real river in Scotland. So it's entirely possible that the Court is in Scotland.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jones mentions that it isn't an easy place to find. She's the sort for that kind of dry understatement.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Tom says somewhere that they generally use planes to get in and out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wow, Jones played matchmaker?