Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFT's a game that was big when it came out and never lost its popularity but it's still something you could buy cheaper on the PSP than on iOS when it isn't on sale.

I'm all for well made games coming to iOS but anyone looking to get more than $20 for a game had been be really impressive because at the end of the day, tablets have neither the controls(yet) nor the storage space for some 15+ gig monster. Even if apple's controller support is amazing you aren't going to run high end modern AAA games on a phone or tablet but I don't doubt there are people that would spend $50 on Call of Duty or Battlefield mobile versions of the PS4/XB1 releases.

I get that you can get FFT for less on the PSP, but more people have iPhones than PSPs. Do I want to buy another piece of hardware or pay a few more bucks to just get it on my phone?

I also reject your argument that iOS can not support AAA titles. The platform is more than capable of delivering high quality graphics without needing 15+ gigs of space and if the game is developed with touch controls in mind then they are rarely an issue.

However I will concede your points are valid in regards to ports. Virtual dpads and buttons are a necessity for a lot of games and most console and PC titles now have 100s of gigs to install. Yet games from other platforms that could benefit from touch controls rarely get ported, like 4X games which are really lacking on iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Hey you fucksriends, I know this is the iOS games thread but King of Dragon Pass is on sale for one dollar and fifty cents over at GOG. The interface is different, but if you thought it was too expensive on iOS here's a great chance to buy it for less and then go and buy it on iOS because you were too stupid to buy it on iOS in the first place.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Bummey posted:

Hey you fucksriends, I know this is the iOS games thread but King of Dragon Pass is on sale for one dollar and fifty cents over at GOG. The interface is different, but if you thought it was too expensive on iOS here's a great chance to buy it for less and then go and buy it on iOS because you were too stupid to buy it on iOS in the first place.

All the good spiderwebs software games are on sale for 13 bucks for the next 7 hours. For the people too stupid to buy avernum or avadon for the iOS.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Shwqa posted:

All the good spiderwebs software games are on sale for 13 bucks for the next 7 hours. For the people too stupid to buy avernum or avadon for the iOS.

Hey I bought Avadon for iOS :( It is pretty swell :)

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Shwqa posted:

Same with most of Wadjet Eye's games. Buy this guy's poo poo so he'll port the rest of his games over to iOS. Gemini Rue is already on iOS.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Shwqa posted:

I would pay $40 for EO4 for the Ipad, no hesitation :colbert:. poo poo almost any atlus rpg would make my day.

Please don't put such beautiful dreams out there.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stormfang1502 posted:

Seems to be App Store evolution. Publishers are starting to see that consumers will pay premium prices for professionally developed iOS games or ports of games from other platforms. People thought the price of FFT was outrageous when it was first released on the App Store but it seems to have done well. That's not something publishers overlook.

It's really not a bad price either, especially when I think back to all the AAA PC games I bought 18 months after its initial release as a $10 or $20 jewel case.

I'd love for Apple to set up some sort of 'premium' games subcategory, or some other way to highlight "big" games like XCOM or FFT, because I think that fear of sticker-shocked customers is what's keeping a lot of developers from porting console and PC games to iOS. Some work around it by releasing an inexpensive app that has episodic content as IAP, which is great for games with which it works. I'd love to see more demo-type app releases where you get the full game for a couple bucks, but can only play through the first few sections before buying the rest, like back in the PC shareware era.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

If Battle Academy is still on sale, buy that now before it changes. It's the first time it ever went cheap so don't miss out.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too except these sort of games have a tendancy to suck up a whole lot of time as well as whatever they cost money wise. I don't really have the time to play all 3, so I was more just after some thoughts from you guys who've played them on what you thought was the best.

(For anyone who didn't see the original post, the games are X-Com, Battle Academy and Battle of the Bulge. Go nuts with opinions if you've played em all.)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Oh Christ I had forgotten that appshopper actually filters like 90% of app releases from showing up normally and so keeps us away from wonders such as wild copyright infringements, threesomes, alpacas, whatever the gently caress this is and huh.... :shepface:

I thought mobile gaming had gotten a bit more sane in recent years but I guess there's still all this ticking underneath.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I'm downloading that alpaca game right loving now; the second screenshot sold me on it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Bummey posted:

I'm downloading that alpaca game right loving now; the second screenshot sold me on it.

You are playing with fire, my friend. (Remember that cat defense game? Crazy poo poo happens).

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I like that the dev added a note to the app page clarifying that the alpacas you tap are not dead, just unconscious. Does that make it better or worse when your crime against god absorbs them into itself?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like the iOS port of XCOM is a lot better than my initial impressions, but I can't wrap my head around the way they handled scrolling around the map. It's so loving bad and sloggy. I thought it was a no brainer that you should be able to zip around and put your finger down when you hit your stopping point, but they chose to do this weird tedious thing where you have to swipe 100 times to look at anything. I REALLY hope they patch that because it has a massive impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Also, there is something severely wrong with aiming rockets and grenades. Most of the time they seem to freeze 5 times before I can actually properly aim and it usually forces the camera all the way out making it impossible to get an accurate shot.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh good, Puzzle Pirates is on iOS now. So now I have to DELETE MORE STUFF AAAAGH

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I feel like the iOS port of XCOM is a lot better than my initial impressions, but I can't wrap my head around the way they handled scrolling around the map. It's so loving bad and sloggy. I thought it was a no brainer that you should be able to zip around and put your finger down when you hit your stopping point, but they chose to do this weird tedious thing where you have to swipe 100 times to look at anything. I REALLY hope they patch that because it has a massive impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Also, there is something severely wrong with aiming rockets and grenades. Most of the time they seem to freeze 5 times before I can actually properly aim and it usually forces the camera all the way out making it impossible to get an accurate shot.

What are you playing it on? I'm on 4S and it seems kinda smooth to me, but after about ten minutes in a battle things start to get choppy. Zooming out seems to help me get a handle on moving the camera around. I skipped the tutorial but now I wish I hadn't as there are a few things I can't figure out. Did they cover selecting units other than tapping on the individuals?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

heiden posted:

Please don't put such beautiful dreams out there.

After that post I honestly went right over to the Altus website and sent an email to them basically begging them to put games on the iOS. I know it will likely never happen though :sigh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

What are you playing it on? I'm on 4S and it seems kinda smooth to me, but after about ten minutes in a battle things start to get choppy. Zooming out seems to help me get a handle on moving the camera around. I skipped the tutorial but now I wish I hadn't as there are a few things I can't figure out. Did they cover selecting units other than tapping on the individuals?

I'm on an iPhone 5. It's not a hardware thing I just thing their approach to swiping around the map is loving horrible. Instead of freely roaming around it just comes to a dead stop when you release you finger.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

I would pay $40 for EO4 for the Ipad, no hesitation :colbert:. poo poo almost any atlus rpg would make my day.

Just paid $40 for it today after digging out my 3DS and my sole complaint is that it's on my enormous clunky 3DS and not my much more portable iPod Touch. Heck, I'd probably rebuy EO2 or 3 on iOS and I still have those in a box somewhere.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

PFlats posted:

So it looks like there's a clone of that Japanese cheerleading rhythm game that I don't know how to spell, featuring Snoop Dogg/Lion.

No, seriously.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/way-of-the-dogg/id635451623?mt=8

I imagine it's either wonderful or terrible. I pretty much never play games with the sound on, though, so it's a nonstarter for me.

This came out on Xbox and PSN before iOS. You can find Giant Bomb's quicklook of it here if you want to see how it plays: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-way-of-the-dogg/2300-7327/

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Did they cover selecting units other than tapping on the individuals?

If you swipe the unit name in the lower-left corner of the screen it will switch to other units. Works a lot better than tapping units in my experience.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I have no idea how this plays, but it looks beautiful.
http://appshopper.com/games/the-howler

Shwqa posted:

After that post I honestly went right over to the Altus website and sent an email to them basically begging them to put games on the iOS. I know it will likely never happen though :sigh:

Baroque is on there, Disgaea might be as well. I think the ports suck though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp I've finally run out of space on my ipad after installing XCOM. Oh god I dont want to delete anything, but I cant update anything now either!

Kitten Baubles
May 10, 2008
My Alpaca has now grown a head made from other alpaca heads which is twitching every few seconds.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm nearing the end of that stage now. I bought xcom last night, but now instead of playing that I'm just sitting here tapping alpacas.

And apparently I'm at completion: 38%, which means that there are many, many more alpaca beasts to go.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 22, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Kitten Baubles posted:

My Alpaca has now grown a head made from other alpaca heads which is twitching every few seconds.

I had to download this why is this alpaca smoking and slapping other alpacas to death. Why is it absorbing them into it's torso what is going on in this game.

Oh my god they all have descriptions if you tap the yellow star.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 22, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Looking at this alpaca thing, I would have liked Battle Cats so much better if I could just evolve the horrifying kittybeasts and not have to do that lovely tower defense game in between.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Corridor posted:

I have no idea how this plays, but it looks beautiful.
http://appshopper.com/games/the-howler

Baroque is on there, Disgaea might be as well. I think the ports suck though.

Howler is basically awful and boring. Got it free, still managed to regret getting it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

nrr posted:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too except these sort of games have a tendancy to suck up a whole lot of time as well as whatever they cost money wise. I don't really have the time to play all 3, so I was more just after some thoughts from you guys who've played them on what you thought was the best.

(For anyone who didn't see the original post, the games are X-Com, Battle Academy and Battle of the Bulge. Go nuts with opinions if you've played em all.)

XCOM is the most time intensive as it has one long campaign where each battle feeds into the next. Has the most narrative of the games as well. This is the biggest timesink, you will feel compelled to play for long sessions and continuously until the Earth is saved (or lost).

Battle of the Bulge is an incredible board game, and as such you would play through a battle (solo) in an hour or so. Then put it aside for a while them replay it. It's only one battle, but it's done really well. Has the least amount of content, but the most polish. This game really won't push your gaming time too hard, it's the kind of thing that fits nicely between other games.

Battle Academy is a tabletop wargame brought to life. The campaigns are a series of consecutive battles, but you play them one by one and nothing carries over. As such it is very playable in bite-sized chunks and it doesn't press upon you to play the next one like XCOM does. Overall it has the most content, as the multiplayer is something that would see you playing for months. Fits nicely between other games like BoB, but offers so many different battles that each time you come back to it you'll be doing something new. The play by email multiplayer is great because you can play a battle over a course of days, and just take a 15 minute turn as and when they come in from your opponent. That's still the main way I play.

There's no reason not to get all three. They offer different experiences, and complement each other well. They are the three best strategy games on the device.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Coldrice posted:

When I get home in going to have bugs fixed by the morning. No rest!

I have an expansion of art/mechanics/levels in prototyping stages. I'll probably add limited IAP when that goes live in a few months.

I noticed that in the Upgrades table you can click on the "empty" space where higher tiers will eventually appear and you are able to purchase higher tier upgrades.

When the gene splicing mini game pops up (is it random?) I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I lined up parts of the same color in the same column (vertical) tapped Splice and nothing happens.

Sometimes instead of eating plant food it just bounces off of me. Is this supposed to happen? What ensures food is eaten?

No crashes or off-center display on my iPhone 5.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Coldrice posted:

When I get home in going to have bugs fixed by the morning. No rest!

I have an expansion of art/mechanics/levels in prototyping stages. I'll probably add limited IAP when that goes live in a few months.

Game seems pretty good so far. If the crashes get sorted out I think it'll be great.

Only crashed for me a couple of times, but one time the framerate went crazy and my guy went flying out of the map before it crashed.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dremcon posted:

I noticed that in the Upgrades table you can click on the "empty" space where higher tiers will eventually appear and you are able to purchase higher tier upgrades.

When the gene splicing mini game pops up (is it random?) I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. I lined up parts of the same color in the same column (vertical) tapped Splice and nothing happens.

Sometimes instead of eating plant food it just bounces off of me. Is this supposed to happen? What ensures food is eaten?

No crashes or off-center display on my iPhone 5.

I don't know much (because of crashes on my 4S) but you have to actually hit plant food head-on, with your mouth in order to eat it. If you turn a different direction but let momentum carry you into food it'll just bounce off.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Does anyone have a suggestion for an old-school-style RPG ported/updated/original for iOS? I never got into these games as a kid (watched a friend play Final Fantasy Tactics, I assume anything strategy RPG is too complex for me) so I don't have a paragon of the genre in mind nor any sacred cows of gameplay features. I played a lot of the original Pokemon but I don't care about monster collecting. I just want a time sink on my upcoming trip that won't eat battery insanely (like Infinity Blade 2, got on sale, currently my only iOS game). Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Edit: thanks again, I'll go for a Final Fantasy

Mortley fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 22, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Knights of Pen & Paper is fun if you're more interested in (traditional, turn-based) RPG leveling and battling and grinding than you are wandering around towns and dungeons and talking to NPCs. There's a story, and the writing is pretty funny and charming, but navigation is menu-based so if you want that exploration element it might not be a great fit. If you don't mind the focus on combat, though, it's really fun!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Mortley posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for an old-school-style RPG ported/updated/original for iOS? I never got into these games as a kid (watched a friend play Final Fantasy Tactics, I assume anything strategy RPG is too complex for me) so I don't have a paragon of the genre in mind nor any sacred cows of gameplay features. I played a lot of the original Pokemon but I don't care about monster collecting. I just want a time sink on my upcoming trip that won't eat battery insanely (like Infinity Blade 2, got on sale, currently my only iOS game). Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Any one of the Final Fantasy ports for iOS would probably fit the bill as well. Most of them are significantly less complex than FFT is.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mortley posted:

Despite a lot of stupid moves, Square Enix has released many great iOS rpgs.

The world ends with you is fairly easy game that is amazingly fun. Easily the best DS and iOS rpg there is.

Final Fantasy 1 is a good remake of the first game and they made it easier (black mages are ridiculously strong).

Final Fantasy 5 looks like poo poo, but it is my favorite FF. It has the best mix and match class system. It has a silly story that doesn't take itself too seriously but really good character development, the team really feels like everyone has something to add and they care for each other. A gilgamesh is the best anti hero ever ("Enough banter we shall fight like men... and women... and men that dress like women!")

But for the love of god, do NOT play FF4 or FF3, unless you are masochistic.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This alpaca game is actually kind of disturbing. Like Battle Cats, once you stop playing the weird, cute game and read the descriptions, it seems a whole lot less jolly.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

MooCowlian posted:

This alpaca game is actually kind of disturbing. Like Battle Cats, once you stop playing the weird, cute game and read the descriptions, it seems a whole lot less jolly.
It gets worse Eventually the alpaca is stuck down by god's gatekeepers and starts absorbing them instead, and eventually starts consuming angels in order to destroy god so it can become god.

I'm not even joking.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
I think Battle of the Bulge added new content recently but I can't remember exactly what.

Xcom is great, I love it. I get some people want the full PC version with exactly the same of everything, but we need to expect some downgrades to performance. This is a tablet after all.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

This alpaca is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Det_no posted:

You are playing with fire, my friend. (Remember that cat defense game? Crazy poo poo happens).

Battle Cats was amazing though.

• Locked thread