Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Riso posted:

Holy poo poo this is great.

Can you repost this and the other stuff on my Darkest Hour thread on the official forums please?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?565808-Hegemonia-An-Alternate-History-Mod

As if Paradox nationalism wasn't enough, now we're going to bring football hooliganism into the mix as well. This is going to result in some truly mad explosions of outrage over who ought to play for where and debates over who could beat who.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Tomn posted:

As if Paradox nationalism wasn't enough, now we're going to bring football hooliganism into the mix as well. This is going to result in some truly mad explosions of outrage over who ought to play for where and debates over who could beat who.

:getin:

Iberia would have dominated the last 10 years or so. :smaug:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Paradox could make a b-ball manager game where all the positions on the team are titles that are passed on through complex medieval inheritance laws. Then if like a serf makes a 3-pointer it's only worth one, or if some bishopric center does a slam dunk the papal states get the points.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
Someone please tell me how I can erase the vassal trait from a country, somehow France ended up as its own vassal and I'm sure that is what is crushing my savegame all the time.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

skipThings posted:

Someone please tell me how I can erase the vassal trait from a country, somehow France ended up as its own vassal and I'm sure that is what is crushing my savegame all the time.

Vassals look like this in your save:
vassal = {
first = POL
second = TEU
start_date = 1466.10.19
end_date = 1525.1.1
}

Find one with FRA in both first and second place and remove it. Don't miss the brackets!

gradenko_2000 posted:

One of HOI 3's last remaining problems is really that there are way too many provinces. They've more-or-less fixed everything else, but actually conducting the war is still a huge hassle because even the Spanish Civil War is going to need something like two dozen divisions just to establish a contiguous front, which is crazy. Someone needs to port Victoria 2's map over to HOI 3.

The funny thing is, I can't play HoI2 ever again because it has far too few provinces. Personally I am ok with non-continuous fronts during the SCW, especially since there tends to be several different fronts to begin with. In fact I find it more interesting because you have to choose to uncover areas to make concentrations for attacks in others, rather than having my whole line covered and still being able to attack easily.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 22, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Province numbers aren't the issue with HOI3 (although they do contribute to a situation where there's too many demands on the player's attention). The problem is a plethora of smaller issues that combine to prevent any kind of choice or nuance on the operational level and thus reduces the grand-strategy portion of the game to 'did you make trade deals to keep your economy going so you built the bigger/better army?'

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 22, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

This redditor's V2 game is worth checking out even if you have no interest in that game.

Preview screenshot:

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
There's a sale this weekend on Steam for Paradox stuff:

75% off lots of stuff, with many games going for $2.50.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

Darkrenown posted:

Vassals look like this in your save:
vassal = {
first = POL
second = TEU
start_date = 1466.10.19
end_date = 1525.1.1
}

Find one with FRA in both first and second place and remove it. Don't miss the brackets!

That fixed it, thank you Mr.Paradoxman :)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Alchenar posted:

Province numbers aren't the issue with HOI3 (although they do contribute to a situation where there's too many demands on the player's attention). The problem is a plethora of smaller issues that combine to prevent any kind of choice or nuance on the operational level and thus reduces the grand-strategy portion of the game to 'did you make trade deals to keep your economy going so you built the bigger/better army?'

Certainly there's a lot of things that could be streamlined a lot more, and trade is definitely one of them. Or do you mean you'd prefer not to have trade at all?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Before I start HoI3 is it worth getting Semper Fi/Dies Ire/For the Motherland? Basically, am I missing out or making things harder for myself if I don't have these three?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kersch posted:

I'm not sure what mod this is, but did you by chance, rename the mod folder or something like that? If so, one of the .gfx or .gui files in the mod's interface folder is possibly looking for the icons in a location that doesn't exist.

edit: open up provincepanel.gui in the mod's interface folder and search for "GFX_icon_religion", make sure that the destination that section of code points to exists.

That's the trick! I changed all references to the wrong directory to the right one, and now it works just fine. Thank you.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

6EQUJ5 posted:

Before I start HoI3 is it worth getting Semper Fi/Dies Ire/For the Motherland? Basically, am I missing out or making things harder for myself if I don't have these three?

From what general knowledge I've gleamed from this thread and around the net (I personally have no experience) all of the expansions are 100% necessary for a fun game.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

From what general knowledge I've gleamed from this thread and around the net (I personally have no experience) all of the expansions are 100% necessary for a fun game.

Thank you very much!

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

I bought Vicky + all addons.

I'm Mexico, and USA keeps beating me up every 5 years. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Or is this inevitable unless you are really good at this game?

For vanilla Vicky2, you're pretty boned since the US gets cores on all the states historically ceded to the US after the Mexican-American War (so Texas, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, and Utah, if memory serves) and as such can and will go to war with you as long as you hold those states. Some mods make it so that, if you hold back the initial US onslaught, you get a decision to remove the US cores from those troublesome regions, though I forget which mods do this. There's probably someone here that can point you in the right direction, though.

If you don't want to have to re-start your Mexico game with a new save on a new mod, I guess you could just try to out-strategize those dastardly Yankees when they start tramping around on your soil. Bear in mind that the battleground provinces, ie: the aforementioned US-core states and states on the US side of the border like Kansas, Louisiana, northern Texas, etc. are fairly low-score, so you're not going to get much out of capturing them. Additionally, if you fight the Americans on even footing (like equal numbers, or terrain that doesn't give you any bonuses), you are going to get flattened, so I'd say just keep a couple of huge armies kicking around and attack any smaller American armies from an advantageous position. As far as occupying American provinces, I think the best way to go about it is to have an army dedicated to sieging quickly that can also move fast to outrun any Americans and have that force deep in US territory occupying states like New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and other important, high-population states. Not only will this help your warscore, but it'll also cut into the troop supplies of the US, meaning that the armies (hopefully) getting worn down on the border by your Mexican mega-stack will reinforce more slowly--if at all.

Anybody that has more to add on to this, please do. I've never played as Mexico so this is all a ton of theory, but I think it would work out fine for a lucky player.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

LordPants posted:

I bought Vicky + all addons.

I'm Mexico, and USA keeps beating me up every 5 years. Is there anything I can do to stop this? Or is this inevitable unless you are really good at this game?

Try to get an alliance with the United Kingdom. It's pretty much the only way to survive. In a Mexico game I had, the UK and I soundly defeated the USA during the original Texas-Mexico war. Every five years since I would do the "cut down in size" CB just to get a boost in revenue.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Certainly there's a lot of things that could be streamlined a lot more, and trade is definitely one of them. Or do you mean you'd prefer not to have trade at all?

There's several overlapping but distinct issues in play here. First of all I'd say the game fails dramatically as a wargame. The mechanics make it impossible to create an combat tempo beyond WW1 style smashing of lines back one province at a time. The way Doctrine is implemented is a terrible step backwards from HOI2 and makes all armies identical. The supply system works really well in representing the importance of seizing ports when invading from sea but fails utterly at representing the War in the East and the logistical problems involved. There are other issues but those are one, two and three on my list.

But the issue the province count causes in this context is that the game doesn't really know if it's still a grand-strategy wargame or if it's now an operational level wargame and both suffer simultaneously from having too much detail and too few distinct interesting choices so the player feels a strong push to automate everything. Nobody will ever describe strategies for Barbarossa in HOI3 in remotely the way viable strategies are discussed in War in the East because the game never produces opportunities for the player to do anything other than 'attack where you can win'. But equally on the grand level HOI3 doesn't get discussed much because all nations play identically, albeit with different access to the resources (physical and leadership) needed to make things happen.

I mentioned Trade being the thing the player does most in HOI3 because it's actually the best system in the game and the player's choices matter most. You know at a glance what resources you need and which you have a surplus of, and it's very easy to find out who has what on offer. It's also really important for the game that resources are traded 'on map' and I'm happy that EU4 is inheriting elements of this system.

If anything I'd say that what needs to be 'dumped' are the Diplomacy and Politics systems. They're wonderfully well developed for a grand sandbox game, but for a game about WW2 with a scope of around 15 years they're horribly over-engineered and just move the game away from what 'makes sense'. As a series Hearts of Iron can railroad the player a lot more in this area than other Paradox games because everyone buys it to play WW2 (with a few plausible variants) and by the game's start most countries are set on the paths they are on anyway.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
US cores on the Mexican Cession are given by the Manifest Destiny decision, which requires Texas to belong to USA. If you win the initial war with USA they won't get cores on you.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Welp, finally got CKII with all expansions and VicyII with all expansions. Now to figure out how to play them. I figure I'll see my friends again sometime in October?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Soylent Pudding posted:

Welp, finally got CKII with all expansions and VicyII with all expansions. Now to figure out how to play them. I figure I'll see my friends again sometime in October?
No, EU4 will push you past December.:getin:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

James The 1st posted:

No, EU4 will push you past December.:getin:

And that's December 2014 :unsmigghh:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
The best bit about any converter to EU4 will be the broken, horrific mess peoples worlds are going to be by 1820.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
What's the best thing to do about 'uncontested claims' draining prestige in EU3?

Does it means I have cores in another country? If I have still have cores in France as England can I just give them to France?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

SkySteak posted:

The best bit about any converter to EU4 will be the broken, horrific mess peoples worlds are going to be by 1820.

Viking founded usa that declares its independence by kidnapping the local colonial governors of the empire of Scandinavia and sacrificing them for blot. :getin:
"Life, liberty and the pursuit of asskicking."

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

fuf posted:

What's the best thing to do about 'uncontested claims' draining prestige in EU3?

If I have still have cores in France as England can I just give them to France?

Nope you have to renounce them when being defeated in a war or alternatively don't start a war with France for a while (it's either 50 or 100 years, I forget) and they'll disappear, though you'll have the prestige penalty until then.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Cores on provinces which aren't in your country's culture group will be lost after 50 years of not owning them. So if you're England and you have cores on Normandy and Gascony but have never owned them, you should lose them by around 1450. If France grabbed Kent or Oxford from you, you'd never lose those cores no matter how long you didn't own them.

RabidWeasel posted:

Nope you have to renounce them when being defeated in a war or alternatively don't start a war with France for a while (it's either 50 or 100 years, I forget) and they'll disappear, though you'll have the prestige penalty until then.

Oh yeah, declaring war on France would reset the timer! I nearly forgot.

Kersch fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 22, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

SkySteak posted:

"And thus I stand, Huitzilopochtli XII, last of my line, King of the Aztecs in Russia, watching from my capitol in Vladivostok as the empire burns beneath me."

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this

fuf posted:

Does it means I have cores in another country? If I have still have cores in France as England can I just give them to France?

You will also loose additional prestige when you loose them, click on the "diplomatic mapmode" and look for some green stripes in other countries, those are your claims.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Riso posted:

Holy poo poo this is great.

Can you repost this and the other stuff on my Darkest Hour thread on the official forums please?

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?565808-Hegemonia-An-Alternate-History-Mod

I don't think I can repost until I get to my work computer on Monday. I'm also settling some paradox forum issues (I created an account a long time ago and totally hate my u/n).

I don't want to derail this thread, is there a more appropriate place to have this discussion?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

fuf posted:

If I have still have cores in France as England can I just give them to France?

What is even wrong with you? Why would you ever not war for a core?
In case you ever gain cores and forget about it (it sure happens a lot to me when I come back to my game later), you can just check your domestic menu (the thing you get by clicking your flag) and scroll down the list to the left until you come to a part where it says "has Reconquest Casus Belli on X". That means you have cores in that country. If you still can't find them with diplomatic mapmode then, you can just use the declare war interface to find out which provinces you have a CB on

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GrossMurpel posted:

What is even wrong with you? Why would you ever not war for a core?

But what if the borders aren't properly contiguous!?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
So apparently VickyII has a :cthulhu: event.

I showed this a friend who has like 600 hours of playtime and she said she'd never seen it, apparently it has a MTTH of like 2000 or something.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Tulip posted:

But what if the borders aren't properly contiguous!?

You make them loving contiguous.

No matter how much blood and tears it takes, pretty borders trumps all.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Bishop Rodan posted:

So apparently VickyII has a :cthulhu: event.

I showed this a friend who has like 600 hours of playtime and she said she'd never seen it, apparently it has a MTTH of like 2000 or something.

If I remember correctly it sets a flag with some horrible name that as far as we know doesn't actually do anything.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Except Korea snake. Nothing trumps Korea snake.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
And on the forum post these words appear:
"My name is Goonymandias, king of kings:
Look on my pretty borders, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I just got HoD for Victoria 2 after not playing it for a long time. Any recommendations for a medium difficulty nation to play as that would give me good access to the new features?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Flippycunt posted:

I just got HoD for Victoria 2 after not playing it for a long time. Any recommendations for a medium difficulty nation to play as that would give me good access to the new features?

Persia or Japan would be good for the unciv-focused stuff like westernizing by conquest, the tactics bonuses to uncivs, and other ways of making uncivs more competitive, for the colonial stuff you'll most likely want to be a major European power like France. Same goes for crises, really, you have to be a great power to really be involved (unless you're one of the folks being contested over), though if you just want to kick back and watch what happens instead of maybe being dragged into WWI you can do that with any country, since there can only be one crisis at a time and every country on Earth can watch and get notified whenever something happens in that crisis.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Flippycunt posted:

Prussia is a lot of fun with the new crisis system, you can spend the first 60 years dicking Austria over by forcing them to release their empire country by country until they lose great power status and then you sphere and culture-annex them. :allears:

It's a lot of fun being the bully now, tear Austria apart piece by piece, force Russia to release buffer states, murder all the French, steal India from Britain. If you play a great power outside of Europe you miss a lot of the new stuff since you aren't constantly forced into crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

:stare: And here I was impressed with myself for holding off the North German Federation, France and England as the South German Federation/Austria. drat. I would've never imagined something like that.

edit: I also have to say I love the way Victoria 2 handles wars and the crisis system is really neat. Great Wars usually end up being really interesting affairs. Well except for the only "Great War" my game had where everyone ganged up on England and Spain (who are only a Great Power due to their high prestige).

axeil fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 23, 2013

• Locked thread