Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RVProfootballer posted:

What kind of stuff do you pay for, if you don't mind me asking? I'm keeping Google Music All Access, but besides that nothing, so I'm curious what kind of stuff I'm missing out on.

Github, Evernote, Lastpass, Dropbox, All Access, Crashplan, Amazon Prime, some other stuff I'm not thinking of right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I've never understood why Twitter can't just force the sponsored tweets into the API. It's hard to monetize users when you drive them away by being loving lovely.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I would suggest Press. It updated to support Feedly, works just like the Google Reader app but with some extras. Very clean looking app too.

Logged into the Feedly website with my Google credentials, imported my Reader feeds with all of one click, reauthenticated Press on my phone, done. Very painless.

Seconding Press.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does Press have a web reader? One of the reasons I use Feedly is because of the Chrome extension (and now cloud reader).

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Require More Fire posted:

Does Press have a web reader? One of the reasons I use Feedly is because of the Chrome extension (and now cloud reader).
But you just use Press against Feedly's RSS feed server and use Feedly's web version?

clhodapp
Jun 21, 2013

I do not think I could live without PocketCasts (podcast app). I used to use DoggCatcher,
but man that interface got old...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

clhodapp posted:

I do not think I could live without PocketCasts (podcast app). I used to use DoggCatcher,
but man that interface got old...

Yeah, pocketcasts is one of the best apps I've ever bought. The update that changed the interface a few months back just made it even better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Vine was updated, and now has the ability to search by hashtag and people. Also fixed the video/audio sync issues.

Anyone who bitched about those things and deleted it should give it another try to see if they like it. It's a fun little time waster.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
My biggest issue with the app is that I can't even watch vines without logging in and it won't log me in via Twitter. I get a generic error has occurred message and it never works.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Vine was updated, and now has the ability to search by hashtag and people. Also fixed the video/audio sync issues.

Anyone who bitched about those things and deleted it should give it another try to see if they like it. It's a fun little time waster.

But Instagram now has video...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

1st AD posted:

But Instagram now has video...

People might actually use both! Holy poo poo!!

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I see vine being pretty irrelevant at this point. They messed up by releasing a partial app with massively frustrating and basic functions straight up not included.

Instagram does video... and longer ones at that. I've already got everyone established with that app, why would I use Vine. For real question.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If you don't use Instagram already or use Twitter more, it might make sense to keep using Vine.

E: Actually, can't you link Instagram videos on tweets easily?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 22, 2013

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

I don't see how Vine is more integrated with twitter. I can post my instagram stuff to twitter/fb with the press of a button from within the app just as easy.

But that's just me.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

I don't see how Vine is more integrated with twitter. I can post my instagram stuff to twitter/fb with the press of a button from within the app just as easy.

But that's just me.

Vine is more integrated with twitter, because vine uses the Twitter Card system and all vines are visible to anyone using an official twitter app, the twitter website or tweetdeck (or any other app that uses the twitter card api).

Tweetdeck removed the ability for their images to be displayed in the twitter card system, so it all just appears as a link unless you're using a third party app.

edit: I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, just pointing out the differences in twitter integration.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Anyone else using the Google keyboard available on the Play Store? After the latest update, haptic feedback is practically unnoticeable. And I can't figure out how to make it the way it was before.

I'm on a Galaxy S4.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

beerinator posted:

Vine is more integrated with twitter, because vine uses the Twitter Card system and all vines are visible to anyone using an official twitter app, the twitter website or tweetdeck (or any other app that uses the twitter card api).

Tweetdeck removed the ability for their images to be displayed in the twitter card system, so it all just appears as a link unless you're using a third party app.

edit: I'm not trying to say one is better than the other, just pointing out the differences in twitter integration.

This. A lot of people currently get around that with IFTTT recipes, but I don't know if that'll be possible with videos.

Also, a number of people (myself included) use Instagram and Vine very differently. Vine is connected to my Twitter account which is anonymous and full of dumb poo poo, butt jokes etc. Instagram is connected to my FB which is where I share stuff with friends and family.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Venkmanologist posted:

Anyone else using the Google keyboard available on the Play Store? After the latest update, haptic feedback is practically unnoticeable. And I can't figure out how to make it the way it was before.

I'm on a Galaxy S4.

Settings > Language & Input > Google Keyboard settings button > Advanced Settings > Keypress Vibration duration

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

beerinator posted:

That's cool I guess. Never would have known that because I've never used the official twitter app. Seems like twitter sure does like to limit quite a bit of functionality with their service.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I see Vine more as entertainment than social networking, whereas Instagram is the reverse. Most of the people I follow on Vine are just celebrities who usually post funny videos. My friends also sometimes post Vines but honestly they're usually not that good. By contrast, most of the people I follow on Instagram are real life friends of mine who almost uniformly post boring photos of their pets. If I wanted to see a hundred photos of your dog, I could just go through your Facebook albums. If James Urbaniak ever moves to Instagram, I'll follow him there, but until that happens I'm keeping Vine.

In other news: I got the Current Caller ID app after someone posted it in here. It's pretty good, but I wish there were a way for it to only show up during calls with people who aren't on my contacts list. As it stands, whenever I receive calls, it puts itself on top of the normal incoming call screen, which is annoying and redundant. Is there a caller ID app that's only activated by unknown numbers?

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 22, 2013

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I just picked up a Nook HD+ and now have multiple devices I use twitter on. Is there an app that will sync my last read position in my twitter feed? I currently use Falcon Pro.

Any other must have tablet versions of typically useful Android apps?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Tigren posted:

I just picked up a Nook HD+ and now have multiple devices I use twitter on. Is there an app that will sync my last read position in my twitter feed? I currently use Falcon Pro.

Any other must have tablet versions of typically useful Android apps?

Falcon Pro syncs your position across devices

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

Fantastic news. Thanks.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

rotaryfun posted:

That's cool I guess. Never would have known that because I've never used the official twitter app. Seems like twitter sure does like to limit quite a bit of functionality with their service.

You actually can't blame twitter for this one. Instagram didn't want their pictures to be shown directly on twitter. They wanted the click throughs so that they would get more users on their own site.

Plus Instagram is owned by facebook. But mostly, I think they didn't want to give away their images for free.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the last few days, I've gotten a couple of notifications from Facebook saying that one has friend had updated his or her status. A different person each time, and the statuses were at least a day or two old. Why would I getting the notifications?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

hooah posted:

In the last few days, I've gotten a couple of notifications from Facebook saying that one has friend had updated his or her status. A different person each time, and the statuses were at least a day or two old. Why would I getting the notifications?

The same is happening to me and it's really annoying.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Has there ever been a point in Android history where the Facebook app didn't suck?

Use the mobile site, it's fairly robust.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I turned off facebook notifications a while back. Recently, the changes to gmail made facebook notifications somewhat hidden.

Life is better on this side.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Can anyone recommend a decent alarm app? Something that can gradually fade in ambient sounds over a period before the alarm is set to go off would be great.
I remember hearing about an app that would use your movements while sleeping to determine when the best time to wake you would be, which sounds awesome, but I'm not sure if it would work with a partner in bed. Thanks in advance!

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

YYZ posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent alarm app? Something that can gradually fade in ambient sounds over a period before the alarm is set to go off would be great.
I remember hearing about an app that would use your movements while sleeping to determine when the best time to wake you would be, which sounds awesome, but I'm not sure if it would work with a partner in bed. Thanks in advance!

Warmly is my favorite alarm, and it is the best one I've ever used. It actually makes me look forward to waking up in the morning.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chaoscollective.warmly

A MINIATURE LLAMA
Jul 30, 2009

IT'S SO TINY

YYZ posted:

I heavily suggest Gentle Alarm, it has the gradual fade for alarms. Don't think it has the movement-based actions, though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

YYZ posted:

I love Gentle Alarm. The gimmick is that in addition to the fading in and declining snooze it offers a very soft alarm a half hour before your wake up time. The idea is that if you're not deep in restful sleep you'll get up to that. I've found it very effective.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Has there ever been a point in Android history where the Facebook app didn't suck?

Use the mobile site, it's fairly robust.

But I like the notifications (when they work). :(

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

YYZ posted:

I use this one, and while it won't fade in prior to waking up, it does allow fade in over a relatively short period at the set time. It's fairly robust and has a lot of options (number of snoozes allowed, stuff like that).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alarmclock.xtreme.free&feature=search_result

e: I really like the look of Gentle Alarm, actually. I might give that a try.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 23, 2013

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions! Trying out Gentle Alarm tonight, looks like it's exactly what I want. Warmly looks a bit nicer but it seems it has less options - I'll give it a try if I'm not happy with Gentle Alarm.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Gentle Alarm is one of the few apps I've used with every Android device I've owned.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I finally paid for it after Amazon demanded I log in to their store again to turn off my alarm. I realized that Gentle Alarm was the only reason I still kept Amazon around and I figured it was time to pay the guy. I do wish he'd update the interface but I see it once a day when I'm groggy so I can live with it.

The pre-alarm gimmick sounds so stupid and works so well and Gentle Alarm is the only app that does it so even if it looked like Cupcake I'd use it.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

After trying to figure this out, I'm starting to question whether this is true. Do I need to do anything secret to get this to work?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This might be better suited to the games thread but since it's more tech support-oriented, maybe I can get an answer here. A a couple of games (Real Racing and Scramble with Friends) will pause on their own from time to time. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas why it's happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Tigren posted:

After trying to figure this out, I'm starting to question whether this is true. Do I need to do anything secret to get this to work?

Settings: Sync and Notifications: Services: Enable TweetMarker

Obviously you have to do this on every device you're using.

• Locked thread