Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I had the bright idea of diving over a road barrier in my younger days and forgot about the landing part (it was pretty spectacular), slid for a bit and cut open my hip a bit and it's left a permanent scar there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

Spiffness posted:

This thread was better when it was people posting about their grotesque injuries and crashes.
I cut my finger test-fitting Chinese forks in a Ruckus the other day and it still stings. :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I didn't crash today but my bike was backed into by my manager at work. I actually think I could benefit from a discussion on parking. Saw the whole thing happen as I frantically waved at her through the shop front.

Just about everything has polished out so I'm pretty happy, as far as having my bike laying in a car park goes. Now there's just some scratches on the indicator stalk, a mirror, a bar end, the exhaust cover and on a headlight lens. The little dicky bit on the underside of a foot peg also got snapped off. That's about the only thing I'm getting her to pay for.

I'm telling myself that the bike now has "character" instead of being upset about it. It's only a month since I bought it new. :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Peg scrapers are loving annoying anyway, I hate the feel of them.

Why would that be the only thing you're going to get her to pay for? At least get her to pay for the bent levers, indicator, headlight and mirror.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phy posted:

A wiser man than me once called it the emergency make-the-car-smell-funny lever.
This is true. I rarely use the parking brake myself, but my mother does. Once I drove off in her car and thought it felt really weak until the smell reminded me I was driving with the parking brake engaged.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

FluffyDice posted:

I didn't crash today but my bike was backed into by my manager at work. I actually think I could benefit from a discussion on parking. Saw the whole thing happen as I frantically waved at her through the shop front.

Just about everything has polished out so I'm pretty happy, as far as having my bike laying in a car park goes. Now there's just some scratches on the indicator stalk, a mirror, a bar end, the exhaust cover and on a headlight lens. The little dicky bit on the underside of a foot peg also got snapped off. That's about the only thing I'm getting her to pay for.

I'm telling myself that the bike now has "character" instead of being upset about it. It's only a month since I bought it new. :(

Manager eh? Sounds like she'll have a hard time saying no if you ask to park somewhere special now.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Yesterday was a lovely day at work so after I got off I went for a ride. I found a trail following some high tension wires and followed it for about 20 minutes, but around the time I slooowly dropped the bike while trying to climb a hill with big loose rocks I decided maybe I should go eat something before I really hosed up.

Alright, back to e/park brake chat

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Fine, I'll get this thread back on track! Though, I'm not really proud that this is one of my first CA posts, and it's this thread. Guess I need to start participating more.

I'm still trying to work out what caused the crash, but here's what happened: I was turning right onto a road from a stop, and halfway through the turn, I ended up sliding toward the opposite shoulder watching sparks fly off some part of my bike on the pavement. Nothing dramatic happened, I got right up, heaved my bike back up, started it, and drove it over the shoulder onto the median to assess the damages.

From what I can gather, I was probably leaning too far for the turn and broke the rear wheel loose with too much throttle. I didn't see any loose dirt or debris on the road, so I can't blame it on that. I've felt the rear wheel skitter a bit in the same situation before, so I suppose it was idiocy on my part and going to happen eventually. I need to start taking it easier when turning from dead stops.

The damage to my bike is pretty minor, and mostly on parts that were going to get painted/replaced soon anyway.
  • Snapped the end of my front brake lever.
  • Ground the cap on my throttle grip right off (well, I have been de-chroming this bike..)
  • Scuffed up my mufflers (one of the parts I've been putting off painting, so no big deal)
  • Scuffed up the corner of my rear brake pedal.
  • Bent up and ground a good bit of the right floorboard bracket.
  • Scuffed up the toe of my new work boots.

I think the floorboard bracket is a big reason I came out of this unscathed; I don't have crash bars on my bike, so if the bracket snapped, I would have been sliding on my legs instead. I'm really loving glad that I haven't replaced the floorboards yet. I had been planning on getting smaller pegs.

As for the damages to myself, there really aren't any besides my pride. I scraped my knee up a tiny bit. I mostly feel like a dumbass for crashing in a way that I could have likely prevented. I'm very glad that I wear proper gear, except for my legs. That's going to change. I bought knee pads recently, but have only worn them once. If this had been a more serious crash, I'm positive I would have hosed my knee up because my pants weren't proper riding gear. Also if I hadn't been wearing my steel toe boots, it looks like it could have gotten painful for my foot.

Lessons learned are that ATGATT is absolutely a good idea, and one thing that kept this a minor crash. Take my time and focus more on what I'm doing when I'm turning.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Fine, I'll get this thread back on track! Though, I'm not really proud that this is one of my first CA posts, and it's this thread. Guess I need to start participating more.

I'm still trying to work out what caused the crash, but here's what happened: I was turning right onto a road from a stop, and halfway through the turn, I ended up sliding toward the opposite shoulder watching sparks fly off some part of my bike on the pavement. Nothing dramatic happened, I got right up, heaved my bike back up, started it, and drove it over the shoulder onto the median to assess the damages.

From what I can gather, I was probably leaning too far for the turn and broke the rear wheel loose with too much throttle. I didn't see any loose dirt or debris on the road, so I can't blame it on that. I've felt the rear wheel skitter a bit in the same situation before, so I suppose it was idiocy on my part and going to happen eventually. I need to start taking it easier when turning from dead stops.

The damage to my bike is pretty minor, and mostly on parts that were going to get painted/replaced soon anyway.
  • Snapped the end of my front brake lever.
  • Ground the cap on my throttle grip right off (well, I have been de-chroming this bike..)
  • Scuffed up my mufflers (one of the parts I've been putting off painting, so no big deal)
  • Scuffed up the corner of my rear brake pedal.
  • Bent up and ground a good bit of the right floorboard bracket.
  • Scuffed up the toe of my new work boots.

I think the floorboard bracket is a big reason I came out of this unscathed; I don't have crash bars on my bike, so if the bracket snapped, I would have been sliding on my legs instead. I'm really loving glad that I haven't replaced the floorboards yet. I had been planning on getting smaller pegs.

As for the damages to myself, there really aren't any besides my pride. I scraped my knee up a tiny bit. I mostly feel like a dumbass for crashing in a way that I could have likely prevented. I'm very glad that I wear proper gear, except for my legs. That's going to change. I bought knee pads recently, but have only worn them once. If this had been a more serious crash, I'm positive I would have hosed my knee up because my pants weren't proper riding gear. Also if I hadn't been wearing my steel toe boots, it looks like it could have gotten painful for my foot.

Lessons learned are that ATGATT is absolutely a good idea, and one thing that kept this a minor crash. Take my time and focus more on what I'm doing when I'm turning.

That poor shadow.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
This is why I cant' have nice things.

I'm 100% OK.

Here's what happened: my huge Triumph dong got in the way and

I've been canyon riding every weekend since I got this bike. 300 miles/weekend minimum. Our group was pulled over on a slight left banking uphill to regroup. I started to pull out of my spot and my boot got caught on my peg as I'm slowly moving up and to the left and down she went.

Bent clutch, bent shifter, broken mirror, broken turn signal and scraped engine cover. The bolt for the mirror snapped so I'll have some fun backing that out. I'm now 50% less mirrors and 100% more hipster (hipsters here ride with one mirror).

I actually like the bent clutch and shifter. They are now "short throw". If you'd like me to mod your bike in the same way I'd be happy to drop it for you.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Stugazi posted:

I'm 100% OK.

I've been canyon riding every weekend since I got this bike. 300 miles/weekend minimum. Our group was pulled over on a slight left banking uphill to regroup. I started to pull out of my spot and my boot got caught on my peg as I'm slowly moving up and to the left and down she went.

Bent clutch, bent shifter, broken mirror, broken turn signal and scraped engine cover. The bolt for the mirror snapped so I'll have some fun backing that out. I'm now 50% less mirrors and 100% more hipster (hipsters here ride with one mirror).

I actually like the bent clutch and shifter. They are now "short throw". If you'd like me to mod your bike in the same way I'd be happy to drop it for you.

Aw man :( That sucks.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stugazi posted:

I'm 100% OK.

Same thing happened to me on my zx6 :( My boots were brand new, was coming up to a complete stop, downshifted to first, and my arch was caught on the end of the peg. Couldn't free it up by the time I came to the stop light, down I went.

Since then I made sure I move back to put the ball of my foot on the peg after downshifting every single time.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I have two pairs of trousers with rips on the inside of the ankle where I've gone to put my foot down at a stop and hooked onto the spikey footpegs on the KTM. The first time I had stopped to let two cute girls cross a junction and just keeled/flailed over in front of them. They were going to the same party as me :suicide:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

ReelBigLizard posted:

They were going to the same party as me :suicide:

"Yeah well, I used to do MMA but now I just wrestle motorcycles. Why? I'm just that tough." :smug:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You're supposed to drop your first bike dude.

Bummer.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
It's raining pretty regular in Sydney today so I'm wearing my rain sausage (http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/images/298_A0118907_large.jpg) over my armor. I got off my bike just now and immediately slipped over onto my arse. Didn't feel a thing. Remember dudes, AGATT. :smugdog:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are we not men?

(We are DEVO)

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are we not men?

(We are DEVO)

Like I said: :smugdog:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

prukinski posted:

Remember dudes, AGATT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDUuBWGtpU

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Finally got my bike back from the repair people, only they hadn't actually done anything aside from polish it a little. The key lock was still damaged, the engine light wouldn't go off and the pegs feel off, like they've been shifted backwards. They also put mismatched crash bobbins on and put strips on the wheels which I didn't have before, and I was quite happy not to have in the first place.

Why they would do this, and not check to see if the engine is okay, I do not know.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

sildargod posted:

Finally got my bike back from the repair people, only they hadn't actually done anything aside from polish it a little. The key lock was still damaged, the engine light wouldn't go off and the pegs feel off, like they've been shifted backwards. They also put mismatched crash bobbins on and put strips on the wheels which I didn't have before, and I was quite happy not to have in the first place.

Why they would do this, and not check to see if the engine is okay, I do not know.

When I first put my sportster together out of a box I took it to a shop to have it given a once-over and make sure it was road worthy. I specifically noted to them that the front brake felt weak and that the carb needed tuning/cleaning and to fix whatever might be causing that. 7!!!! weeks and many calls to check up on it later they finally told me it was ready and as far as I could tell, they didn't actually do anything. I was still adjusting it on the fly since the carb wouldn't hold a tune and the front brake was basically nonexistent. I still have no clue wtf was up with that sketchy-rear end place. They moved out of the central city into the outskirts shortly thereafter and I can't say I was sad to see them go, since they got replaced by an awesome guitar shop.

Then I layerdan'ed the sporty on the 101 in Norcal and bought an SV650S and have only had to go to a shop to get tires mounted and buy oil filters. For some weird reason I get these nostalgic twinges about that stinky deathtrap every once and a while though.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Low-sided today.

On my bicycle. Went to go around a speed bump and the front end washed out on some gravel. For some reason this has convinced to buy some replacement riding pants that I'll actually wear on the motorbike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Low-sided today.

On my bicycle. Went to go around a speed bump and the front end washed out on some gravel. For some reason this has convinced to buy some replacement riding pants that I'll actually wear on the motorbike.

How many gears? Alloy or steel frame? This is important!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Slavvy posted:

One thing I find insane about you bike dudes is how much you put into a vehicle with no engine. I know a guy with a $4000 road bike and as I understand it that's not even top of the line. That is stupid crazy.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Slavvy posted:

It's a Giant hard tail mountain bike with 21 speeds. Bought in 2006 and used in college and occasionally on trails. It's beat to poo poo and I love it. Components must have been decent for the time because they've held up really well. Since it was cheap, my guess is steel frame.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

All the gears

(all the time)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

One thing I find insane about you bike dudes is how much you put into a vehicle with no engine. I know a guy with a $4000 road bike and as I understand it that's not even top of the line. That is stupid crazy.

I agree, I haven't owned a pushbike since I was 14 :)

I've actually wondered about why cyclists don't wear some sort of protective gear. I'm not saying leathers or whatever but knee and elbow pads seem like a good idea if you're planning on doing 50km/h on something with flinstones braking/acceleration.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
On road bikes its mostly a performance thing. A pair of even modestly heavy trousers will make it harder for you to bend your legs and slow you down, same with knee pads. You're at sub 20mph almost all of the time and most crashes are at much lower speeds, in the range of 5pmh.

Also chicks dig scars.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

Also chicks dig scars.

This is a lie. A lieeeeeee! :negative:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Ventilation also takes on a whole different priority when the air-cooled engine is you

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Whatevs. I wear full leathers when riding my bike. Good thing, too, as I will usually pass out by the time I reach the end of the block.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I saw a very serious injury today. Possibly fatal. :(

I ride with a couple of groups from meetup.com. Today we were doing Highway 94 locally known as the Playground.

I fell way behind my group because I stopped for a bio break. As I was catching up I come across what you never want to see...bikes blocking the lanes and someone face down.

I pulled my bike over. I was seriously dreading walking up to find out what happened so I delayed for a few minutes. I already knew it was bad.

I didn't personally know this rider but others that I've seen before did and they were distraught.

This stretch of 94 is a two lane with twists and runs through the mountains. Sometimes the side of the road is the face of the mountain or a drop off. This area it was the face of the mountain. There are huge boulders embedded into the mountain all along this area.

From what I heard from several people, including the guy right behind him, this guy passed a rider at ~100 going into a slight bend. He was going way too fast and target fixated on a huge boulder and...drove head first into the boulder. He bounced off and landed just a few feet away. He was in full leather but I don't think he even skidded.

It looked like his face hit the boulder first. His jaw was a mess, missing several teeth, huge deep gashes on his chin from his full face helmet. His shoulder and arm were shattered and jelly like. He was obviously hurt much worse than that but that's what I could see.

One of the guys in our group is a MD and he was helping out almost immediately. Paramedics were onsite in ~15 minutes. Guy never regained consciousness the whole time they were working on him at the scene. The MD said his biggest fear was paralyzation and a punctured lung. He said he would be surprised if he survived based on the trauma but that it would depend on what they could do for him at the hospital in the first couple of hours. :(

Since I don't know anyone personally who was this guy's friend I'm waiting on info to filter back through the community. I will post an update when I get one.

The guy who crashed had two gopros mounted and the guy behind him had a gopro recording at the time. There might be video. :negative:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Stugazi posted:

I ride with a couple of groups from meetup.com. Today we were doing Highway 94 locally known as the Playground.

I fell way behind my group because I stopped for a bio break. As I was catching up I come across what you never want to see...bikes blocking the lanes and someone face down.

I pulled my bike over. I was seriously dreading walking up to find out what happened so I delayed for a few minutes. I already knew it was bad.

I didn't personally know this rider but others that I've seen before did and they were distraught.

This stretch of 94 is a two lane with twists and runs through the mountains. Sometimes the side of the road is the face of the mountain or a drop off. This area it was the face of the mountain. There are huge boulders embedded into the mountain all along this area.

From what I heard from several people, including the guy right behind him, this guy passed a rider at ~100 going into a slight bend. He was going way too fast and target fixated on a huge boulder and...drove head first into the boulder. He bounced off and landed just a few feet away. He was in full leather but I don't think he even skidded.

It looked like his face hit the boulder first. His jaw was a mess, missing several teeth, huge deep gashes on his chin from his full face helmet. His shoulder and arm were shattered and jelly like. He was obviously hurt much worse than that but that's what I could see.

One of the guys in our group is a MD and he was helping out almost immediately. Paramedics were onsite in ~15 minutes. Guy never regained consciousness the whole time they were working on him at the scene. The MD said his biggest fear was paralyzation and a punctured lung. He said he would be surprised if he survived based on the trauma but that it would depend on what they could do for him at the hospital in the first couple of hours. :(

Since I don't know anyone personally who was this guy's friend I'm waiting on info to filter back through the community. I will post an update when I get one.

The guy who crashed had two gopros mounted and the guy behind him had a gopro recording at the time. There might be video. :negative:

Wow, that is really brutal.

I used to ride with a meetup group in Socal. I think I went on a total of 3 rides with the group. They were awesome and planned really great rides. There was one guy who was particularly nice. On the first ride I went with this group, I was sure to let everyone know that I was new and open to advice. He had some good hints and even led me home when the ride ended (did not end where we started). All around great fellow. He rode a DL1000 and was an ATGATT guy. The third ride I went on, the group were talking about one of their fellow riders in the past tense. My buddy had died. :( My heart sunk. The few moments before they explained what had happened, I got the worst feeling "what if he crashed? Man that could totally happen to me..." It turned out to be a completely random heart attack. Still lovely, but for some reason I was relieved it wasn't motorcycle related. He died in his hotel room on a ride with his friends / wife. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
gently caress dude, that sucks. Being on the scene of an accident like that is never an easy thing :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

100 mph? Isn't that like ... 170km/h? That's insane. I can't imagine how lovely it would be to come up on a scene like that.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Shimrod posted:

100 mph? Isn't that like ... 170km/h? That's insane. I can't imagine how lovely it would be to come up on a scene like that.

It's like that, but it's exactly160km/h. :science:

Not to detract from this conversation, but I'm going to stand over here and spout facts rather than think about that gruesome poo poo. Sorry, dude. :\

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sad day a few days ago, a kind of a hero in the BMW community died on her bike. She was 81 and had logged something over a million miles in her lifetime.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/06/81-year-old_female_motoryclist.html

Edit: awkward. Uploaded totally the wrong picture. Can you even remove them? Anyway it's the old lady with the bike not the guy with the umbrella.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 1, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Stugazi posted:

Just found out they are taking him off life support tonight after the local family has a chance to say goodbye. From his Facebook page it looks like he may have had a couple small kids.

I feel for his family. :(

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Costly reminder to ride within your limits. Did his family take his cameras? I've thought about what it would be like for them if I died wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I saw at least one battered camera get stowed under a riders seat.

If I were them I would destroy the camera. I doubt his family wants to see the footage.

• Locked thread