Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

Makes sense, thanks for the comment. I noticed that while poking around--most of the sets that I've seen that go for ludicrous amounts now are fairly unique in their makeup or have lots of varied minifigs, or something like that. Since I don't know much about the selling process, in general is it better to use Bricklink or something like eBay? I'm packing the pieces in Ziploc bags by color, which I feel is appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
I almost couldn't believe minifigs sell for $200. Checking it out for myself, one of the Boba Fett's is only $25 dollars while the rest are that expensive. Might be a way for somebody to make a quick buck.

vvv Yea I figured it'd be something like that, too bad.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 22, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

The Royal Scrub posted:

I almost couldn't believe minifigs sell for $200. Checking it out for myself, one of the Boba Fett's is only $25 dollars while the rest are that expensive. Might be a way for somebody to make a quick buck.

I saw that but it's apparently part of a $13,000 "super lot" of starwars minifigs which presumably have to all be purchased together, the $25 price tag is pretty much just a placeholder, probably designed to get that superlot to the top of everyone's search lists (in fact, I think every figure in the lot has an arbitrary $25 price on it, even ones worth far far less like Santa Darth Maul who is normally like 5 bucks)

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 22, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I saw a Lego watch at Target today that came with a Boba Fett minifig, and the arms and legs were printed like that one from the Cloud City set. The pictures on Lego's online shop show a minifig with plain limbs, so maybe those parts come with the watch by mistake? I should go back and buy it, replace his helmet with the one from my Slave I Boba Fett minifig, and see if I can flip it for a hundred bucks or so.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
They're really trying to get as much mileage out of that airplane nosecone as they can.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

DrChud posted:

I just saw the new Coast Guard sets, on Lego's page they show a sea plane with a fishing boat. I could not find on their shop page and my target didn't even have a space for it on the shelf. Is it an exclusive to a certain store or maybe Lego stores only?

My local Target in Cincinnati just got the new Coast Guard and Castle sets in. They were on an end cap and nowhere near the other Lego sets, so might want to take another look.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Apparently when it comes to scoring Lego at yard sales it isn't the early bird that gets the worm by waiting around for a half an hour before the sale opens, it's the dickhole who e-mails the ad owner 5 minutes after it's posted online 5 days ago and asks to have the entire lot put on hold for him.

I think I'm done trying to score lots at yard sales that advertise online, every time I go this happens. Oh well, it was a lovely lot full of basic bricks and I tend to get my hands on much better stuff through different channels anyways.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Anakin's Podracer and the Rublic Fighter Tank are down from £30 odd down to £9.99. Grab them while you can!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
My date with the Lego store manager is delayed till Tuesday because he has to have dinner with his boss and the Head of European operations. He apologised and said he'd try and sort me a haunted mansion to make it up. I like this one. :3:

He asked if I had any questions I wanted to ask the head of Europe..?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 22, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oops, double post.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

My date with the Lego store manager is delayed till Tuesday because he has to have dinner with his boss and the Head of European operations. He apologised and said he'd try and sort me a haunted mansion to make it up. I like this one. :3:

Where's the drat DeLorean?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Rage posted:

Where's the drat DeLorean?

http://brickfanatics.co.uk/back-to-the-future-cuusoo-set-revealed/

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Hamburlgar posted:

Anakin's Podracer and the Rublic Fighter Tank are down from £30 odd down to £9.99. Grab them while you can!
Those aren't Lego?

I was definitely going to buy this, but now ... I really hope those pics aren't accurate. It looks a mess.

FreakyZoid fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 22, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Ugh. That is...depressing.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
They've somehow made something uglier than a DeLorean.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
The hood and lights now look all wrong, while the rest kind of always looked like a jumbled mess. The headlights might be a trick of the lighting, but that hood shape...

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Introduced my 4 year old son to Lego's this week. It started with building a free police car at ToysRUs, and so we came home and I dug out a 600+ basic block set I had purchased last Christmas from Walmart for $15. So far he really likes making cars, but he only has the set of wheels that came with his free police car, and the one set of wheels that came in the basics box. I took a look at Target today and the only thing I could really find with more wheels was a little car set for $7 that was only 1 set of wheels, or I could pay $12 for car that also came with 3 or 4 mini figures. These all seem very expensive to me compared to the set I had picked up originally (however no mini figures were included in that set).

So I am wondering what is the cheapest way to pick up a few extra sets of wheels somewhere, plus maybe a few mini figures? We live pretty close to a Lego Store and I know they have an area where you can fill up a little container, but I don't know if wheels & mini figures are included in that? Is it better to just look around on Ebay?

Thanks!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rathina posted:

Introduced my 4 year old son to Lego's this week. It started with building a free police car at ToysRUs, and so we came home and I dug out a 600+ basic block set I had purchased last Christmas from Walmart for $15. So far he really likes making cars, but he only has the set of wheels that came with his free police car, and the one set of wheels that came in the basics box. I took a look at Target today and the only thing I could really find with more wheels was a little car set for $7 that was only 1 set of wheels, or I could pay $12 for car that also came with 3 or 4 mini figures. These all seem very expensive to me compared to the set I had picked up originally (however no mini figures were included in that set).

So I am wondering what is the cheapest way to pick up a few extra sets of wheels somewhere, plus maybe a few mini figures? We live pretty close to a Lego Store and I know they have an area where you can fill up a little container, but I don't know if wheels & mini figures are included in that? Is it better to just look around on Ebay?

Thanks!

Well you have a few options at the LEGO store. There's the Build-A-Mini where you can make 3 custom minifigures for $10, but if you want a nice deal for a 4 year old that has minifigs and wheels, I'd suggest this monster truck set. For $20 you get 3 minifigs, 3 vehicle chassis and their wheels, and a bunch of good parts and accessories for making some cars.

As for the Pick-A-Brick option, it's not a surefire way to get wheels or specific parts unless you know the store has the parts you want before you head over. Speaking from experience, we can only stock in our PAB wall what is shipped to us, and for the most part that consists of generic brick and plate, and maybe a handful of other parts. Wheels always sell out really quickly, so we have a hard time keeping those in stock in our PAB wall.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 22, 2013

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
drat, the DeLorean from that sneak peek looks...not that amazing. Which is too bad because I want to support a BTTF line and obviously the more popular Cuusoo products are, the greater the chance they do more of them. Curses!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

FreakyZoid posted:

Those aren't Lego?
I was definitely going to buy this, but now ... I really hope those pics aren't accurate. It looks a mess.

Oh wow, don't even know how I missed that! It popped up on my Hot UK Deals app as I have Lego as a filter on my notifications. Sorry about that!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Comparing the original submission with the Cuusoo version, they've kept more than they've changed, to be honest. Yes, the hood is different, but the piping assembly around the sides are all the same, as is the grill and bumper. Plus we appear to be getting a sweet flux capacitor brick!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The_Doctor posted:

Comparing the original submission with the Cuusoo version, they've kept more than they've changed, to be honest. Yes, the hood is different, but the piping assembly around the sides are all the same, as is the grill and bumper. Plus we appear to be getting a sweet flux capacitor brick!

Better be a printed brick. :argh:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Rathina posted:

Thanks!

Not too long ago, Lego had some sets set that were almost nothing but wheels. They've been discontinued, but you can find them elsewhere, occasionally for reasonable prices.
Amazon

Ebay 1

Ebay 2

I was just at the Bellevue Lego Store this week and their PAB wall had two different sets of wheels and tires, in generous quantities.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Rathina posted:

Thanks!

http://shop.lego.com/en-CA/LEGO-Monster-Trucks-10655 This set would be pretty good for someone his age, last year they had this set http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=4635-1 and it was great I ended up buying it for a bunch of friends kids but I don't see it on S&H anymore but you might find it in a store.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Thank you everyone! Looks like I will probably be picking up the Monster Truck set. I'd love to get my hands on the Fun With Vehicles set, but it looks like that must be retired now? How long ago was it retired is it possible I might be able to find it in store somewhere still?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Rathina posted:

Thank you everyone! Looks like I will probably be picking up the Monster Truck set. I'd love to get my hands on the Fun With Vehicles set, but it looks like that must be retired now? How long ago was it retired is it possible I might be able to find it in store somewhere still?

I think it's been retired for a few months. I want to say somewhere between 4 and 7 months. I can't rightly recall the last time I saw one in my store :shobon:

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

youareoffthehook posted:

I worked at a Lego store for a year and a half. Shoot me an email, my username @ gmail.

I emailed you as well, I hope thats okay :ohdear:

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Rathina posted:

It's still being sold on Amazon. A little pricey though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

My GF surprised me with The Battle of Helm's Deep this weekend, combining my love of Lego, LOTR and board games. It was more surprising because I didn't even know it existed. Looking at the online Lego Shop, it's available in Europe, Australia, New Zealand but not the UK or the US yet. Strange because I'm used to waiting 6 months longer for sets to hit the shelf.
I haven't had a chance to play it, just build the little stages. Looking at the rules, it looks like a reworking of the Heroica rules, and also players are in direct conflict.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blue River Crows - Model S3 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Dat blowup doll face

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

djfooboo posted:

Dat blowup doll face

I didn't even see that until you mentioned it, ahahaha

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blue River Crows - Model R1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I really want to pick up the three Man of Steel sets but $50-$60 for the main set is a little salty to me, does anyone other than TRU have Lego sales these days?

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So I really want to pick up the three Man of Steel sets but $50-$60 for the main set is a little salty to me, does anyone other than TRU have Lego sales these days?

Fred Meyer/Kroger does Lego sales pretty often.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Greeble greeble

greeble greeble

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can you spot the hidden face!?

(it's visible in that shot.. but maybe not recognizable)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The_Doctor posted:

I'm assuming this is too late, but their thoughts on success/failure of mr gold.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ika posted:

I'm assuming this is too late, but their thoughts on success/failure of mr gold.

Actually, this is something I'm going to ask about tomorrow. Presumably for Lego it was a good move. Collector's not so much.

In other news, apparently the DeLorean has Marty & Doc mini figs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
According to one Lego store dude(possibly the owner of that one) I spoke to, he said it's been kind of a bad blood PR disaster. It may be profitable but it's not sitting well with a lot of folks.