Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I can't help but wonder what the mayor thinks of all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Maybe Dave can snap her out of it if he gets her snausages.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dave's weirdly compliant and conversational. Snide comments about "normal Jade" aside, he's handing over his sword and chatting to her like all this is pretty normal. I sort of assumed they'd have to fight. I guess Dave seems pretty emotionally fragile right now (after the weird John encounter and the mini-breakdown in his room) so maybe this is all a little much to take in. Jade seems pretty Jade-like at the moment, too, so that probably helps.

It's obvious why the Condesce would want to arm Dave to better fight their mutual enemy, but is she planning to just leave Dave loose and hope Lord English bumps into him, or is she planning to take control of him/get him to cooperate? Hopefully we'll stick with them for a bit longer and find out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dolash posted:

Dave's weirdly compliant and conversational. Snide comments about "normal Jade" aside, he's handing over his sword and chatting to her like all this is pretty normal. I sort of assumed they'd have to fight. I guess Dave seems pretty emotionally fragile right now (after the weird John encounter and the mini-breakdown in his room) so maybe this is all a little much to take in. Jade seems pretty Jade-like at the moment, too, so that probably helps.

What's he supposed to do, exactly? His powers aren't exactly developed. He wouldn't stand much of a chance against someone who was just a witch of space, let along one who also has the powers of a first guardian. Besides, fighting wouldn't get him anything. If he loses then he comes back, and then it's back to square one but with a more pissed off Jade. If he wins, Jade's death fits the definition of both Heroic and Just, so she would perma-die. That's bad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dolash posted:

He doesn't want to fight Jade because Jade is his friend, dude. That and he's probably well aware that he can't beat her anyway, so may as well go along with what she wants as long as she's not also hurting him or his other friends in the process.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Ariong posted:

What's he supposed to do, exactly? His powers aren't exactly developed. He wouldn't stand much of a chance against someone who was just a witch of space, let along one who also has the powers of a first guardian. Besides, fighting wouldn't get him anything. If he loses then he comes back, and then it's back to square one but with a more pissed off Jade. If he wins, Jade's death fits the definition of both Heroic and Just, so she would perma-die. That's bad.

I'd disagree about a Knight of Time barely standing a chance against a Witch of Space since that just seems to be something you straight pulled out your rear end, but yeah you're right.

Plus, he can always just get another sword.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, ohh. I had to have the joke explained to me.

Dave's sword was the "Royal Deringer". As in, De-ringer. A sword that cuts the ring off your enemy's hand. As it did when the bunny was used by Jack to kill the Black Queen way back when. But everyone misspelled it as the derringer, as in, the old one-shot pistol.

So what essentially happened here was that Deringer + Cue ball = weapon that can kill Lord English. As in, a pistol with a cue-ball bullet, which is exactly what Hussie tried to use against Lord English.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 22, 2013

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Prison Warden posted:

I'd disagree about a Knight of Time barely standing a chance against a Witch of Space since that just seems to be something you straight pulled out your rear end, but yeah you're right.

Plus, he can always just get another sword.

I'm not saying that a knight of time couldn't go toe to toe with a witch of space, I'm saying that a knight of time who hasn't trained, practiced, or even ever really used his own powers going toe to toe with a witch of space + first guardian combo who has mastered her ability doesn't stand much of a chance.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Ariong posted:

I'm not saying that a knight of time couldn't go toe to toe with a witch of space, I'm saying that a knight of time who hasn't trained, practiced, or even ever really used his own powers going toe to toe with a witch of space + first guardian combo who has mastered her ability doesn't stand much of a chance.

Ah okay, fair enough. It was this part that confused me:

Ariong posted:

He wouldn't stand much of a chance against someone who was just a witch of space, let along one who also has the powers of a first guardian.

Bobulus posted:

Dave's sword was the "Royal Deringer". As in, De-ringer. A sword that cuts the ring off your enemy's hand. As it did when the bunny was used by Jack to kill the Black Queen way back when. But everyone misspelled it as the derringer, as in, the old one-shot pistol.

That Strider would have a broken sword that cuts the ring off an enemy's hand is also a fairly obvious reference.

Hail to the King, baby.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

That Strider would have a broken sword that cuts the ring off an enemy's hand is also a fairly obvious reference.

Hail to the King, baby.

You would not believe how many livebloggers miss that connection. It's probably because everyone remembers the character as "Aragorn" and not "Strider".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Also, ohh. I had to have the joke explained to me.

So what essentially happened here was that Deringer + Cue ball = weapon that can kill Lord English. As in, a pistol with a cue-ball bullet, which is exactly what Hussie tried to use against Lord English.

These guns look absolutely nothing alike.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bobulus posted:

You would not believe how many livebloggers miss that connection. It's probably because everyone remembers the character as "Aragorn" and not "Strider".

Oh gently caress how about that.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Seoinin posted:

Oh gently caress how about that.

I'll admit, I only made that connection when I re-watched Fellowship last year.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I have to say, call me unoriginal or something but if there's two characters I can NEVER get enough of in Homestuck, that'd be Dave and Karkat. The fact that they slowly became best bros on top of being the best characters is just magical. :allears:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Man, Dave's really been stealing the show post-Hiatus. I really like how he breaks down, honestly. Like crying at his ironic selfies, and flipping out Karkat style just now. The dude's cool as heck, but has so god drat many issues. It's really interesting to see him deal with them, when by definition being "cool" means you don't really have the tools to do so.

Fister Roboto posted:

These guns look absolutely nothing alike.
"Derringer" has become a generic term for a tiny pistol. That piratey looking thing he posted is just the original. There are apparently some derringer revolvers too. (Interesting aside, Derringer itself is a misspelling of the maker's name: Deringer.)

That said, in that picture, Hussie's pretty clearly wielding something bigger than a derringer.

Still, I like the idea of Jade/HIC trying to put the cueball in a gun to defeat Lord English enough that I think we can look past that, because it's funnier that way.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Am I the only one who thinks it's entirely possible the Condesce could be misinformed about Lord English's weaknesses? I mean, she hasn't displayed the best judgement in the past...

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

pumpinglemma posted:

Am I the only one who thinks it's entirely possible the Condesce could be misinformed about Lord English's weaknesses? I mean, she hasn't displayed the best judgement in the past...
It could be possible, but then again we also have the matter of Hussie announcing that a cueball bullet from Doc Scratch's gun could also defeat Lord English. So the cueball probably is somehow Lord English's weakness. If that's the case, it makes sense why Lord English would try to find a way to enlist Doc Scratch into service - the power could never be used against him. I'm hoping that these revelations mean that we may find out more about the nature of First Guardians, given how powerful they are. We don't even know where they really come from or what goes into making them other than a couple things lying around and sets of mysterious code.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How many Lord English weapons are we up to now? Calliope, the weird artifact Vriska found, Caledfwlch... Lot of cooks in the kitchen for whatever endgame battle.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cue balls are omniscient. I suspect it's not the ball itself that's Lord English's weakness, but the obscure and accurate knowledge within. Perhaps it is known that Lord English will at one point be harmed by a cue ball, so it was mistakenly concluded that the material was the relevant factor.

Perhaps it's a metaphor, and Lord English's weakness is Yaldabaoth, who caused the First Break after offering Caliborn a Choice between becoming Lord English or stopping someone who had hypothetically chosen similarly.

The Condesce is a bit out of her depth, here; for instance, in order to escape Lord English, she plans to steal the planet that is destined to become his nursery.

Edit: loving archons

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 22, 2013

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Bongo Bill posted:

Perhaps it's a metaphor, and Lord English's weakness is Abraxas, who caused the First Break after offering Caliborn a Choice between becoming Lord English or stopping someone who had hypothetically chosen similarly.

That was Yaldabaoth, not Abraxas.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Blackheart posted:

I have to say, call me unoriginal or something but if there's two characters I can NEVER get enough of in Homestuck, that'd be Dave and Karkat. The fact that they slowly became best bros on top of being the best characters is just magical. :allears:

Poor Karkat. Dave's been hanging out with one of his old friends for nearly five minutes and already he's saying he regrets the time he spent with his best troll bro.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Eiba posted:

That said, in that picture, Hussie's pretty clearly wielding something bigger than a derringer.

I was mostly focusing on the "one-shot" aspect of it. Doc Scratch only loaded his duedly firearm with one cueball.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nate RFB posted:

How many Lord English weapons are we up to now? Calliope, the weird artifact Vriska found, Caledfwlch... Lot of cooks in the kitchen for whatever endgame battle.

Don't forget the Lady Massé theory. That may or may not count separately from Calliope.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't forget the Lady Massé theory. That may or may not count separately from Calliope.

If she exists, I'm sure that someone will refer to her as 'The Rack'.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So...how is Dave actually going to use this? His specibus is 1/2 swordkind, and that's a whole one. Mechanics aside, we've seen him effortlessly shatter blades which played a pretty accurate reflection of his mood. I'd wager that he would snap that in half pretty easily since his mood has progressed from "relentless self hatred" to "complete and total breakdown." Funny he mentions his dislike of his quest, since he has done a pretty good job blowing off any attempt at personal growth; in fact the only growth he has undergone in the meteor session is branching out his social relations.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

So...how is Dave actually going to use this? His specibus is 1/2 swordkind, and that's a whole one. Mechanics aside, we've seen him effortlessly shatter blades which played a pretty accurate reflection of his mood. I'd wager that he would snap that in half pretty easily since his mood has progressed from "relentless self hatred" to "complete and total breakdown." Funny he mentions his dislike of his quest, since he has done a pretty good job blowing off any attempt at personal growth; in fact the only growth he has undergone in the meteor session is branching out his social relations.

Luckily there's still one hero with a fully-functioning bladekind specibus - and that hero also has a backup specibus that absolutely needs to be used in-comic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Dave has used unbroken swords before, and uses his time powers to rewind broken swords to when they were whole again.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Who What Now posted:

Dave has used unbroken swords before, and uses his time powers to rewind broken swords to when they were whole again.

I thought that only worked because he was rewinding his Strife specibus back to whole at the same time.

And who are we kidding, Dave's going to break this legendary piece of poo poo in five seconds flat of being handed to him by Jade.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The only swords Dave has used that weren't broken have been Caldescratch, which has a Timetable embedded in it that allows it to go back and forth at any point in its personal history, and the Snoop Dogg Snow Cone Machete, which was made with Caledscratch so presumably has the same powers. The present versions of the swords were still broken so he was still using his specibus properly. Just making use of his title, really.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
From what we've seen of how strife specibus work with john, if Dave were to repair a broken sword in his inventory, it would fix his strife specibus. It might need to be his lovely katana that was originally broken rather than just ANY sword I guess.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Dave used the Scarlet Ribbitar against Bec Noir actually. He probably got the full unbroken sword specibus from Bro's body, as depressing as that is.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Midway through this conversation, Jade's comments ("You really do have a one-track mind!", "i see its still impossible to have a serious conversation with you, whether you are a sassy bird or not; i thought regular dave might have matured a little over three years but i guess i was wrong!") reminded me that she's talking with the alternate-timeline version of her ex-boyfriend. (Though Dave doesn't know anything about the ex-relationship.)

Poor Evil Jade.

Eiba posted:

Man, Dave's really been stealing the show post-Hiatus.

Dave has never not been stealing the show.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Prison Warden posted:

From what we've seen of how strife specibus work with john, if Dave were to repair a broken sword in his inventory, it would fix his strife specibus. It might need to be his lovely katana that was originally broken rather than just ANY sword I guess.

Well, John repaired his sledgehammer. He allocated his specibus with a regular claw hammer, and that never broke.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Ablative posted:

Well, John repaired his sledgehammer. He allocated his specibus with a regular claw hammer, and that never broke.

The sledgehammer falling apart changed his hammerkind abstratus to handlekind, though, and ejected that claw hammer. Putting the sledgehammer back together turned it back to hammerkind. Similarly, Dave's specibus was originally allocated as full bladekind and then broke in half when his sword did. Maybe it's best not to take these things too seriously, but that does seem to be pretty much how it works.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

It's almost like this specibus horseshit is completely arbitrary and should be ignored in favor of things that are actually interesting.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I imagine that's why it's not really come up in the comic for a long time, yes.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kakumei posted:

It's almost like this specibus horseshit is completely arbitrary and should be ignored in favor of things that are actually interesting.

It isn't shipping or fantrolls so it's pretty benign with regard to the potential for Homestuck Chats.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Freudian posted:

It isn't shipping or fantrolls so it's pretty benign with regard to the potential for Homestuck Chats.

I'm shipping axekind with my OC fanspecibus powertoolsKi-:flame:

Seriously though, Jade is great when she's evil. It's kinda sad that eventually there'll be a Jade Goes Back to Normal Party, starring Normal Jade. Dave is great too, but that's par for the course with him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Seriously though, Jade is great when she's evil. It's kinda sad that eventually there'll be a Jade Goes Back to Normal Party, starring Normal Jade. Dave is great too, but that's par for the course with him.

Nope, Jade was always great:

quote:

JOHN: this game is actually really stupid in a lot of ways, now that i think about it.
JADE: noooooooooo!
JOHN: hey, shut up!
JOHN: i take it back, it's great in every way.
JADE: sure john
JADE: whatever you say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I ended up going to the Phillystuck meetup, it was a lot of fun and there were some really great cosplays :)

Here's the rest of the gallery. I really liked the Yaldabaoth.