Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mod seems pretty awesome from what I played. Got to Act 2 before calling it quits. Was not too impressed with the Alchemy tree which is what I went down. Never had enough ingredients to make the potions I wanted/needed but that was a problem with the vanilla game as well. It was always like 2-3 types of ingredients that were super rare. The others I would have hundreds. The rewards for going deep into alchemy also seemed pretty terrible. A more conservative number of points is probably a good idea. The only deep in talent that you want is no negative effects from potions. The end talents which got you adrenaline meter were not very good. Potions never last more than 10 minutes and during typical gameplay segments your will not reach anywhere near max meter before potions run out. The meter stays charged after potions run out, but it is still getting charged way too infrequently to really recommend it.

Potions still suffer from various problems that were present in vanilla game such as times when you can't drink them yet still need to do battles. They are worth using when you can however just don't over commit to the tree. The good news is at the end of Act 1 I had almost the entire tree maxed except for 2 talents that didn't seem very useful. So I think you will be able to fill out a lot more of the tree's overall than in vanilla due to no more double talents.

Game seems a lot easier than vanilla once you get use to the combat. I was playing on hard mode and found it pretty easy going at times if you use the right tactics. 15 nekkers coming at me at once seemed overwhelming until I realized 1 grapeshot would take out most of them. Same with use of traps. I was reading a lot of comments on other forums about people finding the game much harder with the mod however so your mileage may vary.

Will probably start a new game this weekend on dark mode once the patch comes out. There was a good number of bugs along the way including some potions being impossible to make and a major character having no head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Will probably start a new game this weekend on dark mode once the patch comes out. There was a good number of bugs along the way including some potions being impossible to make and a major character having no head.

Was it Foltest? Thats actually a plot point

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

No it wasn't him.

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I haven't played in quite a while and trying out the new mod; did Triss always 1 shot you with her fireball while battling in the hoardings?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Happened to me repeatedly too in this mod. Very annoying. You shouldn't have to worry about Triss killing you and it is bullshit that you do.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

cheesetriangles posted:

Happened to me repeatedly too in this mod. Very annoying. You shouldn't have to worry about Triss killing you and it is bullshit that you do.

So wait, is there global friendly fire now? Cause that could cause problems in a whole mess of scripted encounters.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Not that I noticed? Only time it happened to me was during the dragon attack with Triss throwing fireballs. They did exactly 90 damage with no chance of damage reduction. You start the game with exactly 90 vitality. Thanks.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm pretty sure friendly fire was on in the base game; I remember getting steamin' mad at Triss for backstabbing me with giant fireballs.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Hmm... I thought it always just did 'minimal damage' when it hit.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Perhaps that's CD Projekt's way of saying "Triss will be a boss in the next game" or perhaps it's revenge from Witcher 1 when you have to choose between giving Alvin to Shauni or Triss. Subtle things like that in combat would be amusing, sort of like in the beginning of Act 3 when you may or may not be attacked depending upon your faction choice from Witcher 1.

I'm only half-kidding

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition is a whopping $6 today on https://www.gog.com on the odd chance someone in this thread doesn't own it yet. Lots of other deals today too.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Holy poo poo Dark Mode with the mod is brutal. Is it normal that I can't access my inventory in the prologue in the castle? I remember actually accessing and changing that in the vanilla game.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Luisfe posted:

Holy poo poo Dark Mode with the mod is brutal. Is it normal that I can't access my inventory in the prologue in the castle? I remember actually accessing and changing that in the vanilla game.

Havent played the mod, but in vanilla you could acess your inventory, you even started with a number of traps and bombs.

Tony_Montana
Apr 1, 2010

Lyer posted:

Kind of off topic, but are the Witcher books worth reading?
I read them in the Spanish translation, which is excellent, and the books are superb. They are actually very good literature. The characters invented by Sapkowski and the conversations he devises are amazing.

I think the English translations are not that good.

Sapkowski is very well regarded as a writer in Eastern Europe.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is there a respec mod or a save file editor for the game?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

necrobobsledder posted:

Perhaps that's CD Projekt's way of saying "Triss will be a boss in the next game" or perhaps it's revenge from Witcher 1 when you have to choose between giving Alvin to Shauni or Triss. Subtle things like that in combat would be amusing, sort of like in the beginning of Act 3 when you may or may not be attacked depending upon your faction choice from Witcher 1.

I'm only half-kidding

I never got why you would give Alvin to Shani when he's already been shown to be incredibly dangerous and Shani is grossly under qualified to handle an eight year old demi-god.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Sharmat posted:

I never got why you would give Alvin to Shani when he's already been shown to be incredibly dangerous and Shani is grossly under qualified to handle an eight year old demi-god.

Also its much more awesome to get into a game of dice poker with an evil spirit for Alvins life if you choose Triss vs whatever I cant remember happens with Shani.

Aslo Yennife has a way better and more realistic chance of being a boss than Triss in the next game.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it a free-for-all when it comes to stealing in the Witcher 2?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Yeah I think it is.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Luisfe posted:

I just saw earlier today that the mod creator is going to release a patch this weekend that makes Dark mode easier (along with other bug fixes).
There's a bug with Dark mode that makes it way harder than it was supposed to be. Something like enemies could constantly block all of your attacks?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Its my first time playing the Witcher 2, no idea what took me so long but it was on sale and I grabbed it, and holy hell it is great.

I am currently siding with the Elf starting off Act 2 and it wasn't 100% intentional Rorsch(god I am most likely getting his name horribly wrong) just seems like a rear end. Having said that I will play through again to side with him and not help so many people as I am on this playthrough.
I am trying to be "good" and I am having a absolute blast

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Its my first time playing the Witcher 2, no idea what took me so long but it was on sale and I grabbed it, and holy hell it is great.

I am currently siding with the Elf starting off Act 2 and it wasn't 100% intentional Rorsch(god I am most likely getting his name horribly wrong) just seems like a rear end. Having said that I will play through again to side with him and not help so many people as I am on this playthrough.

It's Roche. Most people seem to get the opposite impression at the start, liking Roche and thinking Iorveth as an rear end, though I never really had that issue myself since you and Iorveth start as enemies with no expectation of being polite.

And yeah, definitely worth a second playthrough. I'd go so far as to say you haven't actually finished The Witcher 2 unless you've played through both paths.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I am trying to be "good" and I am having a absolute blast
You poor bastard.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Sharmat posted:

It's Roche. Most people seem to get the opposite impression at the start, liking Roche and thinking Iorveth as an rear end, though I never really had that issue myself since you and Iorveth start as enemies with no expectation of being polite.

Hell, I liked Iorveth's path better and I still prefer Roche as a character. That sexy, sexy voice.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Roche is a great dude, and there's a lot of satisfaction in the last chapter with him. I do like the theme of Iorveths path better though, and the ending is a lot more positive.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
I kept hearing about, before the end of Act 1, that you could drink with all of your mates. I tried at all different times throughout all of Act to try and drink with everyone and I couldn't. What did I do wrong? I tried it throughout the day, morning, afternoon and after midnight.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I kept hearing about, before the end of Act 1, that you could drink with all of your mates. I tried at all different times throughout all of Act to try and drink with everyone and I couldn't. What did I do wrong? I tried it throughout the day, morning, afternoon and after midnight.

It's with the Blue Stripes, building to the left of the Inn I think.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's with the Blue Stripes, building to the left of the Inn I think.

More specifically, if you're facing the gallows and the inn is to your left, the Blue Stripes building is on the inn's left. If you imported a Witcher 1 save, Thaler's agent is hanging out next to it.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
I just picked up The Witcher 1 and 2, and hooo boy I just got to act 1 and I am already having trouble with how clunky the game plays. Are there any mods that help out with this, or should I just jump to 2 and give that a shot?

To clarify, I'll click an enemy multiple times and nothing will happen, trying to move is a chore in both movement modes, and it seems like sometimes my inputs are just flat out ignored. I like the game world, but I can't keep playing this.

I don't know if I'm fully patched up or not, I just downloaded the game through GOG before anybody asks.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ryen Deckard posted:

I just picked up The Witcher 1 and 2, and hooo boy I just got to act 1 and I am already having trouble with how clunky the game plays. Are there any mods that help out with this, or should I just jump to 2 and give that a shot?

To clarify, I'll click an enemy multiple times and nothing will happen, trying to move is a chore in both movement modes, and it seems like sometimes my inputs are just flat out ignored. I like the game world, but I can't keep playing this.

I don't know if I'm fully patched up or not, I just downloaded the game through GOG before anybody asks.

Crank the difficulty down to minimum, max out Igni and just enjoy the story. Then move onto 2, crank it up to Hard/Dark and enjoy an actual robust and interesting combat system.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That sounds like a straight up bug; the gameplay in W1 is garbage, but I've never had the game outright ignore inputs. If your game is labeled as the Enhanced Edition Director's Cut, then yeah you're running the most-updated version. I don't really know what to tell you.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Ryen Deckard posted:

In Witcher 1 combat is rhythm based. If you click on an enemy alot nothing will happen and the animations get screwed up. Click on an enemy once and (if your on normal or easy) click again when your cursor becomes a flamming sword.

You could skip to Witcher 2 the story and decision making in 1 are fantastic but getting through the game ca0n 00be a chore and many have skipped it. I still reccomend trying0 to give it a go because behind the rough edges is a good and interesting game.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The story in Witcher 1 is enjoyable, and its worth playing for that.
But it's skippable if you really can't stomach the gameplay. All you really need to know from the first game to understand the second is explained in a 30 second cutscene at the very end which is unrelated to everything that came before.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway
Foltest pays Geralt his reward at the end of the game, and as he's leaving the castle he sees some dead guards and he turns around and runs back to the King to defend him from an assassin. This is why Geralt is Foltest's body guard during the prologue of Witcher 2

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SpRahl posted:

In Witcher 1 combat is rhythm based. If you click on an enemy alot nothing will happen and the animations get screwed up. Click on an enemy once and (if your on normal or easy) click again when your cursor becomes a flamming sword.

Yeah, I think this is your problem. Don't think the controls are like Diablo here. I made the same mistake when I first played it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ludwig van Halen posted:

The story in Witcher 1 is enjoyable, and its worth playing for that.
But it's skippable if you really can't stomach the gameplay. All you really need to know from the first game to understand the second is explained in a 30 second cutscene at the very end which is unrelated to everything that came before.

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler, but I'll tag it anyway
Foltest pays Geralt his reward at the end of the game, and as he's leaving the castle he sees some dead guards and he turns around and runs back to the King to defend him from an assassin. This is why Geralt is Foltest's body guard during the prologue of Witcher 2

The other important thing is The Wild Hunt, which remains an enigma throughout the first game, but does actually appear on several occasions to confront Geralt about his past and is used as the main device for rebuilding his character. And since it's going to be the focus of the next game, it's something that probably shouldn't be overlooked.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
I got this game when it was on that 66% off Steam sale and have been just playing little bits. I like it a lot, but the game stutters and the mouse control is just jerky, it's like it has a lot of frame skipping. Truth be told I did see someone in this thread say that the prologue and tutorial are quite heavy and slow, but I never thought I'd have this much jerkiness just moving around.

The Launcher detects my system as a high-specs configuration set, but even scaling down some options like Bloom, Motion blur or SSAO it's still doing the same thing. I'm hoping it goes away by the beginning of Act 1. My system is above recommended specs (i5 750 processor, 4GB RAM, factory-overclocked Powercolor ATI 4890 graphics card).

Did anyone else get this?

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

fspades posted:

Yeah, I think this is your problem. Don't think the controls are like Diablo here. I made the same mistake when I first played it.

Just to clarify, I figured out it's rhythm based during the tutorial. Wasn't explained super well but I did get it.

But there seem to be instances where the mouse cursor just seems to be blocked out and I can't attack until I move away or perform another action.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be skipping to 2 now then. I might go back and play 1 if I really get into the series.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Maverique posted:

I got this game when it was on that 66% off Steam sale and have been just playing little bits. I like it a lot, but the game stutters and the mouse control is just jerky, it's like it has a lot of frame skipping. Truth be told I did see someone in this thread say that the prologue and tutorial are quite heavy and slow, but I never thought I'd have this much jerkiness just moving around.

The Launcher detects my system as a high-specs configuration set, but even scaling down some options like Bloom, Motion blur or SSAO it's still doing the same thing. I'm hoping it goes away by the beginning of Act 1. My system is above recommended specs (i5 750 processor, 4GB RAM, factory-overclocked Powercolor ATI 4890 graphics card).

Did anyone else get this?

Disabling ubersampling fixed all those issues for me.

Maverique
Apr 25, 2010
Nah I never used that. I even scaled down Shadows which usually slow me down like crazy but the problem kind of remains the same.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Crank the difficulty down to minimum, max out Igni and just enjoy [Witcher 1's] story.

If I were to do this, would there be anything on the side that I should do, like crafting/potion making/minigames? I'm a big side-quest junkie and the thought of going gung-ho through the game only to find I've been missing sidequests because I skimped on boring, unnecessary stuff could kill it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloody Pancreas posted:

If I were to do this, would there be anything on the side that I should do, like crafting/potion making/minigames? I'm a big side-quest junkie and the thought of going gung-ho through the game only to find I've been missing sidequests because I skimped on boring, unnecessary stuff could kill it for me.

Witcher is actually very light on side quests and rewards. Important stuff (incl. significant side-quests) is conveyed through dialogue, fluff mostly through notice boards (and those quests can be fulfilled easily as you make your way through the chapter, without any extra effort).

• Locked thread