Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
yes the A3500 has HDMI, and Im running the latest Openelec build that in turn uses the latest XBMC official build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
I have the same Foxconn unit and mine will pass through DTS-HD to my receiver. I run Windows 8 however. It is a limitation of Openelec?

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
It might be

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Limitation of the AMD Linux drivers

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
So what htpc + openelc combo would work?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Zotac AD10 or AD12 will run OE out of the box. Get a small and fast USB stick and you're good to go.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Zotac AD10 or AD12 will run OE out of the box. Get a small and fast USB stick and you're good to go.

Those are AMD boxes though, which is what he is trying to avoid.

I don't know the exact reason for the problem you are having with bitstreaming but I know nVidia boxes, even the IONs, don't have that problem, so look for one of the Zotac boxes based on those.

I prefer the NUC these days, but it is (comparatively) expensive and some could argue over-powered for a dedicated media center, though the latter really depends on what "media center" means to you.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, sorry, I wasn't really following his previous posts, I only saw the one asking which would work with OE.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Anything that isn't AMD or ION1 should be fine, so either ION2, discrete nvidia graphics, or sandy bridge+ Intel graphics with the very latest Linux kernel.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Two questions:

-Since we live in the era of sharing way too much information, I was wondering if theres any type of XBMC add-on that will automatically post what content you're watching to social networks like Facebook. Does anybody know of such a thing?

-I set my girlfriend up with a Raspberry Pi and OpenELEC / XBMC. Is there a general consensus as to what is the best reasonably priced RF remote? I know Raspberry Pi has a wiki but there's almost too much information and I just want a couple options to choose from that don't take a ton of tweaking to work well.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

-I set my girlfriend up with a Raspberry Pi and OpenELEC / XBMC. Is there a general consensus as to what is the best reasonably priced RF remote? I know Raspberry Pi has a wiki but there's almost too much information and I just want a couple options to choose from that don't take a ton of tweaking to work well.

I don't know if you're interested in this, but you can install remotes on your smartphone. I use Yatse on my Android phone.

Saves me having to buy an additional remote.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I use the XBMC Official Remote on Android, works pretty well for me. I'll check out Yatse, as the Officla remote hasn't had much development in a while.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Two questions:

-Since we live in the era of sharing way too much information, I was wondering if theres any type of XBMC add-on that will automatically post what content you're watching to social networks like Facebook. Does anybody know of such a thing?

Check out Trakt. I'm pretty sure it has an option to annoy the hell out of your FB friends post to your wall when you watch something.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I wanted an XBMC client that would only play music, then pretty much anything would work right? Are they problems with the Rasberry Pi or Android devices other than not being powerful enough to decode video? I wouldn't even want it hooked up to a monitor, just control it with the remote app on my phone.

Also, my current clients are Windows machines, with the entries in the library in the form of smb://server/media/blah, I wouldn't have any problem with another OS trying to access those shares, as long as I have the sharing protocol specified in the library (as opposed to having the library on the G drive or something like that)?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

If I wanted an XBMC client that would only play music, then pretty much anything would work right? Are they problems with the Rasberry Pi or Android devices other than not being powerful enough to decode video? I wouldn't even want it hooked up to a monitor, just control it with the remote app on my phone.

Yeah pretty much anything will work if you only want music, the Rpi doesn't really have any problems at all and the problems with the Android devices are more due to XBMC still being early development on the platform and lots of compatibility issues with different chipsets for video hardware decoding.

quote:

Also, my current clients are Windows machines, with the entries in the library in the form of smb://server/media/blah, I wouldn't have any problem with another OS trying to access those shares, as long as I have the sharing protocol specified in the library (as opposed to having the library on the G drive or something like that)?

The shares will work fine.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

FISHMANPET posted:

I have just been setting pretty much this exact scenario up this week, I have found that after about 24 hours, I am no longer able to reconnect Yatse to the Rpi. Powercycling the Rpi resolves it, but it's hardly ideal. This is with OpenElec 3.0.6, and I have tried with two Rpis - a model A and a model B. I'm going to experiment with Raspbmc at some point this week, I'll let you know.

The SMB entries should be fine as stated by Sendo above. I am using path substitution for the sources file with this entry in advancedsettings.xml;

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/sources.xml</from>
<to>smb://server/XBMC Data/userdata/sources.xml</to>
</substitute>

to keep all the clients in sync more easily, if you are doing this you may need to go into Browse>Files and open the source once in order to provide credentials. After that, everything will work fine.

kyojin fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 24, 2013

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

kyojin posted:

I have found that after about 24 hours, I am no longer able to reconnect Yatse to the Rpi. Powercycling the Rpi resolves it, but it's hardly ideal.
I'm having the same issues with OpenELEC 3.0.6. It basically just hangs after a while. If you happen to figure out what's causing it, please update :)

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

FISHMANPET posted:

Are they problems with the Rasberry Pi or Android devices other than not being powerful enough to decode video?

The analogue audio out isn't great on the RPi. There was a problem where it produced a loud click noise whenever you stopped or started playing any audio, though they might have solved that problem.. it's been a while since I've looked in to it.

If it's still a problem you can get decent audio from the HDMI port or use a cheap USB sound card.

edit: A quick google suggests the problem was fixed with a recent firmware update!

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So I moved my TV and Foxconn NT-A3500 Windows 7 XBMC system in to my Rec-room so we could watch shows while working out. This system hadn't gotten a whole lot of use before but I had found that the wifi only worked right if the system was powered on from cold boot. If you suspend it or reboot it or hibernate it or anything other than power off, wait, power on, the Wifi just will not transfer fast enough to stream anything except the lowest bit rate SD videos.

During the course of trying to troubleshoot this, I read someone say that the Linux driver for system's wifi was better than the Windows driver (What is this? Crazy Bizarro World?). So I got the latest version of OpenElec and sure enough, I can stream HD videos and everything without issue.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cornjob posted:

yes the A3500 has HDMI, and Im running the latest Openelec build that in turn uses the latest XBMC official build.

SInce I have been messing around with Openelec and this same system, I found this page: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_sound_foxconn_nta3500

I don't know if you went through those steps or not, but supposedly they are required to get HDMI digital audio working right.

edit: also there is a bios update for it here that adds updates the HD audio codec but I don't think that applies to your issue: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=NanoPC&U=en-us0000001

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 24, 2013

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

Gism0 posted:

The analogue audio out isn't great on the RPi. There was a problem where it produced a loud click noise whenever you stopped or started playing any audio, though they might have solved that problem.. it's been a while since I've looked in to it.

If it's still a problem you can get decent audio from the HDMI port or use a cheap USB sound card.

edit: A quick google suggests the problem was fixed with a recent firmware update!

I had the same problem where it was clicking really loudly,and I ended up getting a bluetooth receiver for my stereo. Since I mostly wanted to use pandora to listen to music this worked out well. If you are interested, I got this one on amazon for $27 (http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-...etooth+receiver)

It is NFC enabled so you can easily pair your phone and then just fire up your favorite music that way.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cixelsyd posted:

I had the same problem where it was clicking really loudly,and I ended up getting a bluetooth receiver for my stereo. Since I mostly wanted to use pandora to listen to music this worked out well. If you are interested, I got this one on amazon for $27 (http://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-NFC-...etooth+receiver)

It is NFC enabled so you can easily pair your phone and then just fire up your favorite music that way.

Would that work for the Google Play music? I use it on my Desktop and Phone but I'd really love being able to use my real speaker system for it. XBMC and Linux in general seem to lack options for native implementation for it. What I mean is, when synced with that reciever the phone doesn't need a "send to xyx device" confimation. Google Play is more or less a Flash/HTML5 webpage.

I've tried using Nuvola Player for native Linux and Flash is being a dickhead problem again since Adobe abandoned Linux.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 25, 2013

cixelsyd
May 22, 2010

YouTuber posted:

Would that work for the Google Play music? I use it on my Desktop and Phone but I'd really love being able to use my real speaker system for it. XBMC and Linux in general seem to lack options for native implementation for it. What I mean is, when synced with that reciever the phone doesn't need a "send to xyx device" confimation. Google Play is more or less a Flash/HTML5 webpage.

I've tried using Nuvola Player for native Linux and Flash is being a dickhead problem again since Adobe abandoned Linux.

I had paired it with my Galaxy Nexus and it played whatever was playing on the phone, so if you pair the bluetooth receiver with the phone, just open google music on it, and it will play via the stereo. You can then even control the volume from the phone. I assume it will also work from a tablet/laptop/computer as long as you can pair it with the bluetooth device.

Let me know if that covers it, or if you got any other questions!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going crazy trying to figure out why XBMC randomly has buffering problems playing videos. HD mostly, sometimes SD, being pulled from a server over gigabit ethernet. I just tested the exact same file using VLC on the same computer and it played absolutely perfectly, and copying it from the server to the desktop took less than 2 minutes (2.18gig file). I've tried changing every video and audio setting I can think of in XBMC but nothing seems to be a permanent fix. Occasionally if I quit and open the program over and over it'll eventually start working, or sometimes if I restart my computer 3-4 times, but nothing seems consistent with the problem. I'm using XMBC 12.1 on Windows 7, if that makes any differences here. Any ideas?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
XBMC does not buffer any source it considers local e.g. SMB, NFS, etc. While gigabit Ethernet will have the bandwidth to play the file size you're describing (and indeed anything including and beyond uncompressed blu ray disc images), what's probably happening is that there is some slight packet loss happening on your network, which as there's no buffer at all for the video is triggering buffering.

There's recently been a pull request merged that attempts to fix this by using buffering for SMB sources. If you grab the latest Gotham Alpha build at the start of next month it'll be included and you can see if it helps.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Really simple question I should have been able to Google but couldn't find an answer on.

I'm adding media files through SMB from my Windows 8 desktop. After a nightmare of having to change security settings I can't get the TV Shows section to show anything. I go to videos, added movies and TV. I selected the respective category and movies work but TV series shows nothing.

Does that make sense? I am lost.

Also for emulation would I be better using advanced launcher or the ROM collection add-on?

Thanks

Edit: one last one, any reason not to use SMB but use something else instead? I've been using PS3 media server for the past few years and wanted something much more pretty and media centric - forgive my very basic knowledge here.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 27, 2013

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Godinster posted:

Does that make sense? I am lost.

Go to Videos -> Add Videos. In this case, you want to browse to SMB and find your Share. Once you have it selected, choose whether the folder is TV or Movies and then it should begin scraping that folder for metadata. If it doesn't, select the folder and press menu (C on keyboard) and Scan for New Content. If you think you messed up, press C and choose Change content and edit what the content is. Mess around with it a bit and learn how it works. Feel free to message me here or on irc (doxinho freenode & SynIRC) if you have any more of these questions!

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I ordered a ODROID-U2 for XBMC now, lets hope it works as well as it looks.
I'm also finding libstagefright version not working on my Nexus 10, instead I have to find NEON versions from ages ago...

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Won't that have to run XBMC for Android, which from what I've read doesn't work that well?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
Also runs ubuntu, but android version seems fine thus far.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
XBMC Launcher solved the issue of XBMC randomly minimizing to a Windows 7 desktop, so thank you to whoever recommended it. However I still have this completely seemingly random issue where when I turn on my TV (the HTPC is always on, doesn't even go into sleep mode) XBMC will be in a resolution where it's around half the size that it should be.

It's driving me nuts because all of these issues are seemingly random. Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea WHY it would happen? I was thinking MAYBE it was some handshaking crap (like turning off my receiver or TV or whatever would cause my HTPC to change resolutions, kind of like when you plug a laptop into a monitor) but that's not the case because the Windows 7 desktop's resolution is staying put at 720p just fine. XBMC just seems to enjoy randomly showing up half the size it should and I have to go into Settings and Output Resolution all the freakin' time to fix it. Does anyone have any clue why this would keep happening, especially at random?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Milky_Sauce posted:

XBMC Launcher solved the issue of XBMC randomly minimizing to a Windows 7 desktop, so thank you to whoever recommended it. However I still have this completely seemingly random issue where when I turn on my TV (the HTPC is always on, doesn't even go into sleep mode) XBMC will be in a resolution where it's around half the size that it should be.

It's driving me nuts because all of these issues are seemingly random. Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea WHY it would happen? I was thinking MAYBE it was some handshaking crap (like turning off my receiver or TV or whatever would cause my HTPC to change resolutions, kind of like when you plug a laptop into a monitor) but that's not the case because the Windows 7 desktop's resolution is staying put at 720p just fine. XBMC just seems to enjoy randomly showing up half the size it should and I have to go into Settings and Output Resolution all the freakin' time to fix it. Does anyone have any clue why this would keep happening, especially at random?

Are you restarting the system with the display turned off? Or rather, is Windows 7 updating itself with the display turned off?

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Milky_Sauce posted:

when I turn on my TV (the HTPC is always on, doesn't even go into sleep mode) XBMC will be in a resolution where it's around half the size that it should be.

Unfortunately I can't tell you why it is happening, but I occasionally see this as well. Usually I sleep my Win7 HTPC when it isn't in use and I have XBMC close as it goes to sleep and reopen on wake. This works fine.

Sometimes it doesn't actually sleep for whatever random reason and occasionally when this happens (usually if overnight) I will get the little XBMC window issue. Instead of fixing it in the settings, I just close and reopen XBMC (have programed buttons on the remote to do this). Perhaps that would work for you to at least speed up the process of fixing it?

My theory on the "why" is also a handshake thing with HDMI. I didn't used to see this when plugged in directly to the TV, but only since I upgraded to an HDMI capable receiver. It doesn't happen often enough for me to actually worry about, so I haven't really tried to fix it.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Begall posted:

Are you restarting the system with the display turned off? Or rather, is Windows 7 updating itself with the display turned off?

Wow you might be right. I have the computer set to "auto reboot" every other day at 4am when no one is using it. I do this because as a low powered HTPC, it gets slow when it's on for too long. Also, I have XBMC set to update the library whenever XBMC is started, which happens whenever the computer reboots, so it's nice to not have to manually click "update library" and wait a few minutes just to watch something that aired last night.

Since you seemed to have stumbled upon to something, is there any way to prevent XBMC from doing this resolution change? What exactly is happening here? XBMC simply starting with no device attached and making up on its own what resolution to use or something?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It might not be Windows related because if I try to wake my AD10 using openelec before my receiver turns on I get no video. Probably some dumb hdmi handshake thing but I couldn't be bothered to troubleshoot it since I can just reboot OE which takes 15 seconds.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'm trying to get my Logitech Harmony to control my XBMC install on my Windows 8 HTPC.

I bought some no name Chinese infrared receiver and remote, and when I set up my computer as an MCE Keyboard in the Logitech settings I was able to learn some of the infrared commands from the remote and have it work with XBMC. The XBMC site has an "unofficial" setup to make it work which requires you to have BOTH Windows Media Center PC and MCE key lard in your devices on the remote. Problem is, my remote (Harmony 650) only supports up to 5 devices and I can't fit them both in.

However I'd like to add a couple of commands like sending F6 which I have set up as a hotkey to open XBMC. Just adding the F6 command in the Logitech software does not work.

Any suggestions?

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Look into getting a Flirc device (http://flirc.tv/). You can program it do any commands you want and it works great with the Harmony remotes.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm researching the droidstick options but am getting a bit lost... Could anyone give me a quick run down on the models I should really look at? I'm on a wdtv, but need a second box so would like to switch back again.

Ethernet, a USB port and a microsd slot would be nice...

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 30, 2013

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Most goons in this thread are saying the android xbmc sticks are not production worthy at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I've been out of the loop HTPC/XBMC wise lately, anything I need to add in to the OP? Or anything that needs to be updated?