Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Voyager I posted:

I'm sure a bunch of mediocre pilots throwing 'stage' punches in assault mechs with cameras rolling will end hilariously.

I love you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

ActionZero posted:

Drift left! Shoot the Atlas! Get close to the explosion! Kick the Raven! Cut! Too slow!

Hit the boxes!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Well, drat. Sorry, PTN :( Yeah, it was probably me kicking at the Dragon. Cursed by my unreasonable love of melee yet again! :negative:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Although the situation does remind me of a video about a crazy director I saw recently.

Somewhat fitting to the current mission, the reason the native chief offered to kill Klaus Kinski is because he thought he was possessed. Too bad Hogarth doesn't have an actor of that caliber available to him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Enacting plan "It's All Part of the Script."

Update will be soon.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hogarth’s Heroes: Tactical Update 15

Combat Phase
Blue 1) Hogarth’s Atlas II
- Fires Ghost Hunter PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Rotary Autocannon 5 (Quint) at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Rotary Autocannon 5 (Quint) at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!

Blue 2) Steiner’s Awesome
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1519!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (29/44 armor remains)!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!

Blue 3) Vasquez’s Banshee
- Torso twists to threaten hex 1318!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!

Blue 4) Schultz’s Zeus
- Fires LRM-15 at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires PPC at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires Large Laser at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 12, hit Right Torso (32/45 armor remains)! TAC!
- Fires Large Laser at Behemoth (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement = 8): rolled 2, miss!

Red 1) Battlemaster
- Holds fire!

Green 2) Grand Dragon
- Resists ghostly control!

Green 7) Wolf Trap
- Resists ghostly control!

Behemoth
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Zeus Blue 4 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Zeus Blue 4 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (0/24 armor, 8/17 structure remains)! Cine-Crit!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Zeus Blue 4 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Zeus Blue 4 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (12/24 armor remains)!
- Fires LB-10X Autocannon (Slug) at Zeus Blue 4 (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 6): rolled 9, hit Right Leg (2/24 armor remains)!

End Phase:
Behemoth
- Through-Armor Critical in Right Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Gauss Rifle explodes (12/45 armor remains)!

Zeus Blue 4
- Cinematic Critical Chance! No cine-crits sustained!

Physical Combat Phase:
Blue 1) Atlas
- Kicks Dragon Green 2 (5 base + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods - 2 kick = 6): rolled 10, hit Head (0/9 real armor, 0/3 real structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

End Phase:
Grand Dragon Green 2
- Head destroyed, pilot (would normally) suffer 5 automatic pilot hits!
- Emergency Ejection, must pass a piloting roll to avoid pilot damage (5 base + 2 pilot landing in light woods + 3 per point of Head structure damage = 10): rolled 8, fails with 2 MoF!
- - Pilot suffers 1 damage in the ejection, pilot (would normally have been) killed!
- Must roll a piloting test to make it look good (5 base + 3 per point of Head structure damage = 8): rolled 9, succeeds!

It took a different sort to be a stuntman.

It took something else entirely to willingly let oneself get kicked in the head by a charging Atlas.

Lieutenant Miles Hawkins, AKA “Jake Finn,” adjusted his red beret almost fastidiously and popped open his cockpit as his borrowed Grand Dragon made its soon-to-be-final turn. The grim shape of General Hogarth’s Atlas was already lumbering towards him, cresting the short hill and bowling over a copse of trees. If all went as planned, Lieutenant Hawkins would have perhaps three seconds to dive from the Dragon’s cockpit into a conveniently deep pile of snow (which disguised an equally convenient air-cushion), and then scramble clear before the sixty-ton machine fell on him.

Of course, the moment Hawkins disconnected the damned Dragon was liable to start swaying like a drunkard, the longer he stayed in the more convincing the blow. With dozens of stunt-men, directors, and supposedly even the Archon himself telling Hogarth that the scene was a bad idea, Lieutenant Hawkins had proven the only dissenting voice. He’d volunteered straight away to be kicked in the head by an Atlas on camera, and it wasn’t just for the free drinks he’d earn at the bar whenever he told the story (although that was a fortuitous side-effect).

No, Lieutenant Hawkins had been onboard from the moment he’d been told the scene would result in the death of a Kurita-made Grand Dragon. It had been hastily repainted, of course, but the cockpit still bore the snake-in-a-ball emblem of the Draconis Combine. Miles sneered and, offering the symbolic representation of the Coordinator a furious one-fingered salute, tore off his neurohelmet and dove out the back hatch an instant before a hail of transplex shards could tear him to bloody ribbons.

Primary Objectives
Rescue Melissa Steiner and Clovis Holstein! Defend the Red Corsair! (0/1)
Defeat Richard Cameron Put Richard Cameron to Rest (0/1)
Destroy Richard Cameron’s Behemoth (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
Thomas Hogarth duels the Red Corsair (1/1)
One of Hogarth’s Heroes “dies” dramatically, but no more than one (0/1)
Hogarth kills the ghost with his Ghost-Killer PPC (0/1)
Believe in Andrew Steiner (1/1)
Cross the Streams (0/4) (everyone has to hit with a PPC for it to count)

Hidden Objectives
Piles of Cardboard Boxes Destroyed: 2
Fruit Carts Destroyed: 1
Wilhelm Screams: 1
Flubbed Lines: 1
Fires Started: 1

Key:
Blue1) Atlas II
Blue2) Awesome
Blue3) Banshee
Blue4) Zeus
Red1) Battlemaster – Walked, 0

Enemy `Mech Key
Green2) Dragon – Ran, 2
Green7) Wolf Trap – Ran, 2
Behemoth – Stationary, 0

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

Cinematic Crit Table
2 – Railing Kill / Protagonist Injured!
3 – Stunned Enemy / Protagonist Flesh Wound!
4 – Huge Random Explosion!
5 – Fruit Vendor Demolished / Chickens Escape / Outhouse Detonates!
6 – Cardboard Boxes Destroyed!
7 – Wilhelm Scream / Flubbed Line!
8 – Cardboard Boxes Destroyed!
9 – Explosive Barrels Explode Unexpectedly!
10 – Something Catches Fire!
11 – Delayed Casualty / Protagonist Flesh Wound!
12 – Kneecapped / Protagonist Injured!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 23, 2013

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

THAT could have gone much worse. Someone got a little overzealous on the whole Justice Foot thing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I am in awe of PTN's spin-doctor skills.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bravo, PTN! :golfclap: This went from full Jeremiah Rose to :clint: in an instant.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
That man deserves a raise.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Artificer posted:

That man deserves a raise.
That man deserves whatever a Lyran Oscar is.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Arujei posted:

So do real stuntmen.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I'm sort of sorry we missed the superlative laden description of the Behemoth getting one of its big guns taken out by a precise hit (and only a precise hit!) and then having the smoke clear to show only scratch damage as a result.

Oh well, I'm sure Hogarth'll splice it together in post. That and the kick'd work well for a mini-'good guys winning' moment in the action.

Arujei posted:

It's a Golden Urbie. Not, like a statue of an Urbie. And actual golden UrbanMech.

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

A scenario-derailing mishap becomes something awesome for the highlight reel.

Well done, PTN.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

KnightLight posted:

A scenario-derailing mishap becomes something awesome for the highlight reel.

Well done, PTN.

Makes sense. Justice Foot is always a highlight whenever it appears.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I apologize again for almost derailing things :( I did get a little overzealous.

Jesus loving christ my guns can't hit the broad side of a bullet with a barn but I can kung-fu kick some poor schmucks head right the gently caress off? What the hell dice :psyduck:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 23, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Jesus loving christ my guns can't hit the broad side of a bullet with a barn but I can kung-fu kick some poor schmucks head right the gently caress off? What the hell dice :psyduck:

Running constantly has been ruining your shots, the Behemoth is probably going to hit you no matter what; so you might as well get in medium range and hit it back as hard as you can. This may be terrible advice.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
A palpable hit on the Behemoth for Schultz!

Of course, he got the worse of it in that exchange of fire, but them's the breaks when going up against this monster.

Anyway, I'm thinking of just walking forward to 1015 so I can get in range of my medium lasers. There's nothing I can do to not get hit, so I guess I'll be going with that advice of just trying to get as much of my own weapons fire on the Behemoth as I can (even if it's meant for my lancemate).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, walking and being in medium range will put you at 7 TH, and if you're already in medium range you can remain stationary for 6 TH. We've had a lot of rolls of 7 and 6 on to-hit numbers of 8, so everyone but Hogarth may want to stand their ground. Hogarth might want to enter the wooded hex in front of him first to get an easier shot next round, though standing still with a single intervening light woods hex would have the same TH as walking forward this round.

This advice is moot if the Behemoth is tall enough that light woods don't provide it with any cover, though, and it does look like intervening hexes haven't done much for it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

T.G. Xarbala posted:

This advice is moot if the Behemoth is tall enough that light woods don't provide it with any cover, though, and it does look like intervening hexes haven't done much for it.

Assuming it's using the superheavy rules (which I admit I'm not super familiar with), I'm pretty sure it ignores height 1 cover, including woods, and attackers ignore height 1 cover against it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

fool_of_sound posted:

Assuming it's using the superheavy rules (which I admit I'm not super familiar with), I'm pretty sure it ignores height 1 cover, including woods, and attackers ignore height 1 cover against it.

Yup.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, good. I don't care if someone gets their legs shot out from under them, I just wanna see some streams getting crossed!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... I feel like we should also have some sort of Death Star esque PPC laser where each mech fires at a spot 100 meters in front of the behemoth, and the combined super-ppc blasts the behemoth.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Calax posted:

... I feel like we should also have some sort of Death Star esque PPC laser where each mech fires at a spot 100 meters in front of the behemoth, and the combined super-ppc blasts the behemoth.

Hmmm, I'm...pretty sure that it could be done in post-prod. Let's make it happen.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Wow, glad Hogarth kicking the Grand Dragon's head off worked out like that. All part of the plan... :allears: That Lieutenant has balls of steel. Good to see that Malachite didn't do something that totally hosed over this movie and the mission and instead was spun into something that will make a great highlight for the movie.

Nice work by Schultz in taking out one of the Behemoth's Gauss Rifles, though holybat did get worked over pretty well by the rest of his firepower. Still, we're doing something!

Thinking of moving into 1016 to keep pace with Schultz's Zeus and to bring my Medium ranged weaponry to bear. Apparently, the cover of the ridge there doesn't affect the Behemoth's chances of hitting me? Should have figured on something like that, but since the Behemoth isn't currently targeting me, I should be OK, I hope.

Getting into a better position in order to finally deploy Berserk Mode, all while attempting to Cross those Streams, I think sounds like a plan.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 24, 2013

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

This is the best movie ever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's not like BattleTech has CGI.

Of course not, they have Enhanced Imaging Mode. Totally different!

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Oh, good. I don't care if someone gets their legs shot out from under them, I just wanna see some streams getting crossed!
I don't recall a film where they shoot a bad guy with crossed streams? They shoot a door?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Endomorphic posted:

I don't recall a film where they shoot a bad guy with crossed streams? They shoot a door?

Educate yourself, son.

.....wait. No, I get what you're saying now.

...that actually makes really good sense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endomorphic posted:

Excellent point!

Question is, which door?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Excellent point!

Question is, which door?

Paleo-Narnia :nod:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Excellent point!

Question is, which door?

W.T. Fits posted:

I might be missing something here, but does anyone else find it odd that even though the Behemoth has long since moved away from that area, there's still a bunch of ghostly green lightning in the upper-left corner of the map? And that it seems to be originating from hex 0303?

Also really glad to see PTN was able to spin that kick in such a way as to allow the mission filming to continue. The show must go on.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

Also really glad to see PTN was able to spin that kick in such a way as to allow the mission filming to continue. The show must go on.

That was incredibly generous of him. That headkick probably should've caused a mission failure. I mean, you're just shooting a (dumb, patriotic, action) movie here, ease up with the attacks... :stare:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Gimmick Account posted:

That was incredibly generous of him. That headkick probably should've caused a mission failure. I mean, you're just shooting a (dumb, patriotic, action) movie here, ease up with the attacks... :stare:

Worst case scenario: one more member of the 1st Somerset Strikers dead prematurely.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I said I was sorry! :saddowns: You have to admit an Atlas-II punting another mech's head off looks great on the big screen, at least.

Orders are in. I turn 23 tomorrow and intend to spend the day absolutely plastered, so if you need clarifications, PTN, best to ask them before midnight Central. I like to start things in a prompt manner :v:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 25, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Calax posted:

I like the sound of this.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Psion posted:

Of course not, they have Enhanced Imaging Mode. Totally different!
They also had Star League era hologram projectors that would fool mech sensors. Presumably including seismic :pseudo:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Orders are in. Not doing anything fancy this turn, just running forward, attempting to Cross the Streams again, and FIRING EVERYTHING else. Gonna save Berserk Mode for a couple more turns until I can get in closer to the Behemoth.

Oh, and Happy Birthday, Malachite!

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

GhostStalker posted:

Orders are in. Not doing anything fancy this turn, just running forward, attempting to Cross the Streams again, and FIRING EVERYTHING else. Gonna save Berserk Mode for a couple more turns until I can get in closer to the Behemoth.

Got my orders in too. Time for some particle-beam exorcism on Cameron's ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

GhostStalker posted:

One of these days you might actually stop talking about Berserk Mode and actually, y'know. Use it. :v:

• Locked thread