Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember how Jack Aubrey couldn't be arrested for his debt while he was at sea? Elliot's just never going to go back to port again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not sure why they thought sticking a guy between two 350 pound weights would save Buster. Also kind of goofy seeing Adam playing with his new toy with how he was wearing a throat mike for the runway scenes.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

trouser chili posted:

He also just mentioned in the last episode he was sending her flowers every week. Now I'm no expert in law, but that seem a particularly bad idea when the recipient has had a restraining order out on you.

I just got around to watching the last episode. Elliot really scares me and I can only imagine what kind of hell his ex went through, although it sounds like she might have been leading him on lately? And was he having a pity party up in the wheelhouse when that 50 foot wave almost wiped half of his crew off the deck? I also wanted to slap the poo poo out of the 19 year old greenhorn.

Wild Bill posted:

Two things a fisherman doesn't need. One is a wife, the other is a pickup. Both get used when you're out crabbing.

I'll admit, I chuckled a bit too hard at that one.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

SouthLAnd posted:

I just got around to watching the last episode. Elliot really scares me and I can only imagine what kind of hell his ex went through, although it sounds like she might have been leading him on lately? And was he having a pity party up in the wheelhouse when that 50 foot wave almost wiped half of his crew off the deck? I also wanted to slap the poo poo out of the 19 year old greenhorn.

It seems like a two way street with Elliot and his baby momma. He's a stalker, but she is definitely playing games with him. But I'm sorry, as a dude who learned morals and chivalry growing up, you don't yell at and call a girl a "loving bitch" for any reason, even if they are one. Especially if your goal is to reconcile with said loving bitch.

And there is no reasoning with a 19 year old kid who thinks he is in love. Now, I know that I couldn't do that job, but I still have the right to call him a pussy. "I don't want to do this anymore, I just want to go back to my girlfriend wah wah wah." He might be worse than that kid a couple seasons ago who checked out after one day.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

SouthLAnd posted:

I also wanted to slap the poo poo out of the 19 year old greenhorn.

He was really pissing me off. SO much wailing about his girlfriend he seems to barely know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

muscles like this? posted:

Not sure why they thought sticking a guy between two 350 pound weights would save Buster. Also kind of goofy seeing Adam playing with his new toy with how he was wearing a throat mike for the runway scenes.

Their small-scale test did show a reduced G load from being placed between two water-filled objects; I don't know if it's naive to think it would work at full size given that.

What I don't get is why they thought any impact that completely destroyed the car he was sitting in would ever be survivable no matter what padding or safety gear was present. Had they hit with much less force there might have been some cushioning effect.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Putting a small thing between two big heavy bags of unpressurized water in a full scale high impact lateral collision doesn't even seem on paper like it could ever be of any benefit as a safety device as opposed to a hydraulic murder-press. I mean, isn't +850Gs the highest single Buster damage they've ever recorded in a ground vehicle accident scenario?

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 16, 2013

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Exploder posted:

It seems like a two way street with Elliot and his baby momma. He's a stalker, but she is definitely playing games with him. But I'm sorry, as a dude who learned morals and chivalry growing up, you don't yell at and call a girl a "loving bitch" for any reason, even if they are one. Especially if your goal is to reconcile with said loving bitch.

And there is no reasoning with a 19 year old kid who thinks he is in love. Now, I know that I couldn't do that job, but I still have the right to call him a pussy. "I don't want to do this anymore, I just want to go back to my girlfriend wah wah wah." He might be worse than that kid a couple seasons ago who checked out after one day.

I would imagine the creepy personal life back home drama draws a small percentage of viewers but I can do without it. More fights on deck please :sun:

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

cycowolf posted:

He was really pissing me off. SO much wailing about his girlfriend he seems to barely know.

Especially considering how much money he is throwing away. I think that is what makes this situation so infuriating. This kid seems to be totally capable of cutting it on deck, which mean he could be pulling in drat near six figures a year in less time than most people would have to grind that out, and at a very young age, and he is throwing it all away because he likes some girl. Wild Bill can be a bit annoying, but he was 100% right about everything he said regarding the greenhorn.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Another year, another greenhorn for Keith to be pissed at over the stupidest poo poo. :wtc:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another year, another greenhorn for Keith to be pissed at over the stupidest poo poo. :wtc:
Keith is the guy who wouldn't leave dock for hours because they couldn't find him a cup of noodles. That kids got to learn that Keith is the most superstitious captain out there. And it pays to play with the team.

It did crack me up when Keith was going on his rant "Fishing is dumb? Catching crabs is dumb? Superstition is dumb???" :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I honestly think Keith is just genuinely mentally ill.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I'd rather work for loving Wild Bill than Keith. He's a sociopath or something. Remember when he shoved a cameraman across the deck one year because he wouldn't make him coffee?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Keith definitely seems to have emotional problems.

Also, hahaha Elliot in just one segment manages to undo all of the respect he had been earning thus far. Once an rear end in a top hat, always an rear end in a top hat I guess. He is the mentally ill one on the show.

"I swear I am not cheating on you! I've been trying to bring our family back together for TWO YEARS! *Crying* I don't know what else to do!"
"I was totally cheating on her in exactly the way she accused me of... what, the girl I was seeing is cheating on ME?! How could someone do such a thing I will literally commit murder!"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'd rather work for loving Wild Bill than Keith. He's a sociopath or something. Remember when he shoved a cameraman across the deck one year because he wouldn't make him coffee?

Yeah, he has his tantrums and kills half his crew every season, but he brings the money. And I'm sure the guys would have any choice of boat if they want to, all of them veterans and hard workers, but they stay with Keith year after year, so it is probably more of learning how to handle his eccentric personality. I wouldn't be surprised if Mouse - even if we don't see him often - has a big part in keeping the peace between Keith and the crew.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
That kid needs to learn how to be a part of a team.

Yeah it is silly but if he ever watched the show and saw Freddy he would understand that is a part of the team. He is one of the most respected guys on that show and the kid just dissed him.

Not cool for a greenhorn.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

evilwaldo posted:

That kid needs to learn how to be a part of a team.

Yeah it is silly but if he ever watched the show and saw Freddy he would understand that is a part of the team. He is one of the most respected guys on that show and the kid just dissed him.

Not cool for a greenhorn.

I certainly understand that it was a stupid and almost certainly career ending move (on the Wizard at least) to refuse to buy into the stupid superstitious bullshit, but it wasn't disrespectful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus Christ, really Mythbusters? Yeah, lets waste time cross promoting that stupid high wire event show Discovery is doing!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Jesus Christ, really Mythbusters? Yeah, lets waste time cross promoting that stupid high wire event show Discovery is doing!

Number 1, Nic Wallenda is awesome.
Number 2, Duct tape island is the best episode of Mythbusters, Duct tape canyon is all upside.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

jscolon2.0 posted:

Number 2, Duct tape island is the best episode of Mythbusters, Duct tape canyon is all upside.

Number 3, Duct tape AND BUBBLE WRAP :allears:

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

IRQ posted:

I certainly understand that it was a stupid and almost certainly career ending move (on the Wizard at least) to refuse to buy into the stupid superstitious bullshit, but it wasn't disrespectful.

When you are low man on the totem pole you go along with the crew no matter what. He has to live with them every day for months on end. To someone like Freddy who never had someone say no it is like a slap in the face.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

They could have done this without the lovely tie-in.

Edit: This canyon rappel bit seems completely unsafe.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 20, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This entire episode seems like a safety nightmare. Also considering this, the highwire walk and the naked survival show it seems like Discovery is totally trying to get someone to actually die on one of their shows.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I thought tonight was going to be another "hey let's do some fun stuff with duct tape" episode, but Jesus Christ they repelled down a 120-foot cliff with duct tape ropes and harnesses, and then the fools tried to navigate Level 5 whitewater rapids in their duct tape canoes :stare:

Adam is lucky he didn't get hosed up.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I actually am really enjoying it. It's reminding me of good eats: really play with the format. Not everything will work, but hijacking survival shows for a mythbusters episode shows that they are a lot more playful and willing to experiment with the format than previous shows have suggested.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 20, 2013

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When it comes to actual survival techniques, Discovery has always been pretty crappy (Bear Grylls is a loving idiot and anyone following his "survival" techniques is on a short road to getting themselves killed). I know their harnesses were real ones just covered in tape and their safety line was also a real one covered in a layer of tape, but they really should have played that straight. There's no shame in being safe.

And on the complete opposite ends of things were the rapids. What a nightmare! I kayaked a lot when I was younger and one of the most basic things you learn is that, if you're not familiar with the river, you always get out and scout along the bank when you see white water. What looks like a small bit of rough water can quickly turn into a death trap.

Apart from that, it was still a duct tape episode, so I can't hate on it too badly. Duct tape is awesome.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

When it comes to actual survival techniques, Discovery has always been pretty crappy (Bear Grylls is a loving idiot and anyone following his "survival" techniques is on a short road to getting themselves killed). I know their harnesses were real ones just covered in tape and their safety line was also a real one covered in a layer of tape, but they really should have played that straight. There's no shame in being safe.

And on the complete opposite ends of things were the rapids. What a nightmare! I kayaked a lot when I was younger and one of the most basic things you learn is that, if you're not familiar with the river, you always get out and scout along the bank when you see white water. What looks like a small bit of rough water can quickly turn into a death trap.

Apart from that, it was still a duct tape episode, so I can't hate on it too badly. Duct tape is awesome.

I assure you the river was scouted thoroughly, for shooting purposes at the very least, and that they probably even went down the rapids in a proper boat before trying it on their builds.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

This entire episode seems like a safety nightmare. Also considering this, the highwire walk and the naked survival show it seems like Discovery is totally trying to get someone to actually die on one of their shows.

They've already succeeded in accomplishing that goal.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

quote:

The suit, filed last week, alleges that the devices had not been manufactured by a licensed manufacturer, that neither Discovery nor Anthropic had obtained a permit for their use, and that there was no licensed pyrotechnics operator on the scene.

You know what, I could also see this being the case in a reality show. These kinds of shows are a real different beast compared to what most people normally think of when they think "Hollywood TV and Movies". There is an uncomfortable amount of winging it on these shows, and not very much money. Lot's of "ideas" and very little money for the people actually filming the damned things.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I know there's going to be a time delay and a dude standing next to a big red cut feed button in case that guy actually falls, but Discovery marketing this as "Hey this guy might die. Come watch this guy die maybe", makes me really uncomfortable.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I know there's going to be a time delay and a dude standing next to a big red cut feed button in case that guy actually falls, but Discovery marketing this as "Hey this guy might die. Come watch this guy die maybe", makes me really uncomfortable.

This is the marketing for every live "extremely deadly stunt" that has aired in the like, the last 20+ years. Especially tight rope walks, since that footage of the one falling to his death in the 80's (70's) made history.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

This is the marketing for every live "extremely deadly stunt" that has aired in the like, the last 20+ years. Especially tight rope walks, since that footage of the one falling to his death in the 80's (70's) made history.

That doesn't really make it any better. That makes it worse, actually.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've watched every episode of Mythbusters since its inception, and I've never seen them fake something like that cliff descent.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In the rafting section for some reason they pretended they made life vests out of duct tape. Which seems like a bad idea since life vests are bright orange for a reason.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That's my whole problem with the episode. They're doing a 'survival' episode and are obviously taking care that they're safe in dangerous conditions. But what they're showing on camera, the false narrative they're creating, is very much not safe.

They pretended to raft the river without scouting it. They pretended to climb down using only a rope and harness made from duct tape. The pretended to have fake lifevests - vests made from a dark material. There was no need for any of that. I've mentioned before that Discovery has a poor record when it comes to shows purporting to show survival skills that, in the real world, would get you hurt or killed. This episode continued that and I really wish they wouldn't.

Mythbusters might not always be a great show, but previously I could always count on them not to fake it and then try to pass it off as real.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I was surprised they didn't have any helmets for going through the rapids.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

FogHelmut posted:

I've watched every episode of Mythbusters since its inception, and I've never seen them fake something like that cliff descent.
What parts exactly did you think they faked the most? I'm not disagreeing that it was edited in a super questionable manner, but that terror from Jamie is literally the most human he's ever sounded. He can't act that well!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
If you find yourself stranded in the wild with a pallet of duct tape, don't do what the Mythbusters did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's my whole problem with the episode. They're doing a 'survival' episode and are obviously taking care that they're safe in dangerous conditions. But what they're showing on camera, the false narrative they're creating, is very much not safe.

They pretended to raft the river without scouting it. They pretended to climb down using only a rope and harness made from duct tape. The pretended to have fake lifevests - vests made from a dark material. There was no need for any of that. I've mentioned before that Discovery has a poor record when it comes to shows purporting to show survival skills that, in the real world, would get you hurt or killed. This episode continued that and I really wish they wouldn't.

Mythbusters might not always be a great show, but previously I could always count on them not to fake it and then try to pass it off as real.

There was also the terrible desert survival bit where they just glossed over running out of food and water.

It should be pointed out that Duct Tape Island was also super faked considering they didn't actually stay out on the beach and instead just shot their stuff and went to their hotel rooms to sleep. Although they were a little clearer in that of the survival stuff just being proof of concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheRationalRedditor posted:

What parts exactly did you think they faked the most? I'm not disagreeing that it was edited in a super questionable manner, but that terror from Jamie is literally the most human he's ever sounded. He can't act that well!

What stood out to me was that they were being lowered down the cliff. Adam did a particularly bad job of pretending to hold onto the triple rope they made, and I don't believe for a second he has the strength to do so anyway. And I really don't believe they were actually belaying each other.

• Locked thread