Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So as of this post I'm at chapter 252 of Vagabond, and am rapidly finding myself putting it on par with Vinland Saga for historical action. I'd still say the latter edges out, but again that might be purely a genre thing (i.e. I think Vikings are cooler than samurai). Inoue is clearly the superior artist (not that Yukimura isn't excellent, Inoue is just that good). Which has stronger writing is up for debate but whatever. Inoue's handled the characters very well. I think my favorite is his portrayal of Kojiro, who somehow comes out incredibly interesting even though the entire story is literally building up to him getting beaten with a loving paddle. One thing I will say though is that while it reads great in a continuous fashion (which is all that matters historically), I can see parts of it being absolutely torturous if you follow the weekly scans like the 70 man Yoshioka slaughter that goes on for chapter after chapter with not much in the way of interesting dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
As someone who has been up to date with it for years I will confirm that yes, it's loving torturously slow. Particularly the current arc.

I think the only reason we don't discuss it in here is because it's based on Japanese history, which is precisely the history that this thread isn't about.

I absolutely agree that it's Inoue's masterpiece, though. And he already HAS a masterpiece in Slam Dunk.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
I think Vagabond far exceeds Vinland Saga as a literary work. I totally dig its contemplative, ethereal vibe

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Rodyle posted:

I can see parts of it being absolutely torturous if you follow the weekly scans like the 70 man Yoshioka slaughter that goes on for chapter after chapter with not much in the way of interesting dialogue.

Not to put intentions in Inoue's mouth, but that seemed to me to be the point. It sort of puts you in Musashi's perspective, with this absurd, nondescript fight that lasts forever.

Would agree with Law Cheetah on the general point that Vagabond is the better piece. To me it's all about the characters, and I think Vagabond handles them a bit better.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Law Cheetah posted:

I think Vagabond far exceeds Vinland Saga as a literary work. I totally dig its contemplative, ethereal vibe

To me it's like comparing an action movie to a drama.

Vinland Saga has good character development and an interesting story, but so far at least at its heart it is still :black101: and horsepunching.

Vagabond gets a bit ethereal and goes often into the characters internal thoughts etc. Just hard to compare the two. Same for the artwork. Vinland has great hard line / details where Vagabond can get into some beautiful watercolor work that just would seem out of place in something like Vinland Saga.

I love them both, Vinland is more exciting to read from chapter to chapter though.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I can really recommend buying a hard copy of Vagabond, by the way. The translation is much better than what you'll find online, making all the philosophising MUCH easier to follow. The VIZ Big editions are good value and have really cool spine art. The cover art is a bit lovely, but at least they'll look great on your bookshelf. The spines combine!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well I'm all caught up with Vagabond now... and my Vinland Saga comparisons become rather hilarious in hindsight what with the farming and all.

I do think that stylistically they aren't all that comparable when you get down to it, but thematically they seem to, interestingly, come to draw from much the same well. Both Thorfinn and Musashi spend so long consumed by nothing but violence, aiming for a goal the story itself constantly mocks (vengeance/becoming the strongest), are forced to stop and consider the point of it all as a result of some shocking event (Askellad's death/the Yoshioka fight and fallout thereof, and take up a more sedentary existence where they are forced to consider the value of life... in both cases from agriculture. There are of course differences, since their goals are so different (although Vagabond certainly has a fair bit to say about vengeance, its not Musashi who seeks it) and of course their temporary change in lifestyle is taken under different circumstances (Thorfinn is put there in bondage, while Musashi chooses it as an attempt at self-refleciton).

My original comparison was just because they were both historical fiction/action series, but I do think the comparison is rather interesting.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I can really recommend buying a hard copy of Vagabond, by the way. The translation is much better than what you'll find online, making all the philosophising MUCH easier to follow.
Would that I could afford to actually buy all cool the anime and manga I've seen online over the years.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 20, 2013

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Gisèle Alain - Rich girl leaves home and starts an odd jobs business in 18th century France

Forgot about this after lack of translations years ago, glad I decided to look it up again on a whim. Occasional boobs warning.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

.Clash posted:

Gisèle Alain - Rich girl leaves home and starts an odd jobs business in 18th century France

Forgot about this after lack of translations years ago, glad I decided to look it up again on a whim. Occasional boobs warning.

So Elizabeth really did move to france after being rescued in bioshock infinite. Apparently following the steps of Booker in the detective business as well.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 23, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

.Clash posted:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/169938/gis%C3%A8le-alain_v3_ch14_by_4dawgz/10

The bottom two panels: is this line from a japanese idiom or did the translators put in a reference to Castlevania?

PaleIrishGuy
Feb 5, 2004
Pale as paper
New Vinland Saga!

Kiamet
Feb 2, 2007

In its early days, TV was like a nymphomaniac clairvoyant. A medium you could turn on with a knob.
Ch. 93, oh my god what an amazing chapter. I can't wait for where this story goes next. And I hope Snake can come too.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
"Life had already robber her of more than death ever could."

Jesus H. Christ that line hit so hard I was actually a little depressed after reading it. I was hoping Arneis would make it, but I guess if they wanted to drive home everyone's feelings of "gently caress this terrible place, let's just leave while we still can." then it couldn't have gone any other way. I'd love at some point for Ylfa to get a chapter or two thrown her way to lighten the mood a bit. She was a fun character and I'd like to see how things went with her being the man of the house.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Man, knowing that ultimately Vinland fails due to man's inhospitably to man is really buming me out right now. After this chapter I'm really hoping for an alt-history ending.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yess that chapter ruled. I also agree that I hope Snake comes with. That guy rules. I am skeptical of him doing it though; he is not exactly in the same place Thorfinn is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd like Snake to come with, but I don't think he'll leave Ketil behind and that dude's not coming.

I think Snake's in a pretty good place for Vinland, he doesn't seem to much like violence. Just doesn't see any other way to pay his debts at the moment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gyges posted:

Man, knowing that ultimately Vinland fails due to man's inhospitably to man is really buming me out right now. After this chapter I'm really hoping for an alt-history ending.

Askeladd's existence makes Vinland Saga an alternate universe already. Who knows? Maybe things will be different at the end too.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Let's learn about horses with Otoyomegatari: Chapter 29 Read Online / DDL

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gyges posted:

I'd like Snake to come with, but I don't think he'll leave Ketil behind and that dude's not coming.

I think Snake's in a pretty good place for Vinland, he doesn't seem to much like violence. Just doesn't see any other way to pay his debts at the moment.

Snake is almost there. I could see just about anything else relatively small pushing him over the edge and joining the rest. He would be a good antagonist to Thorfinn after they leave the present society

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

Let's learn about horses with Otoyomegatari: Chapter 29 Read Online / DDL

This chapter of Otoyomegatari brought to you buy the covers of every Harlequin romance novel ever.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

New Cesare.

Dudes sitting around talking about the history of the HRE. I love it!

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Otoyomegatari 30 (alternate title: poo poo Gets Real, A Prelude): Read Online / DDL

It's a little bit chilling that the tone of the discussion in this episode mirrors the wedding talks so closely. I'm interested to see if Azel and his brothers come up with a plan to subvert the direction things are going, or if we're going to see some action? I do just really want to see Mori draw some action, though it would probably be pretty heart-wrenching since poor sleepy little Anatevka will get loving rolled.

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 21, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
New Vinland Saga. I still can't get enough of that dad head. :allears:

EDIT: Fresh link, previous upload was missing one or two pages.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 22, 2013

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
The young master actually turned out to be a decent dude in the end. Sucks everyone died for it to happen, but hey! Manhood!

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
That moment between Canute and his dad really reminded me of Griffith's dream with Ubik during the Eclipse in Berserk.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really incredible chapter, it managed to deal very well with the concept of maturity and decisions. Canute reluctantly keeping his own decisions, Orman growing up by realizing his previous one was wrong and changing it and Thorfinn... Well, he'll do something?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

The young master actually turned out to be a decent dude in the end. Sucks everyone died for it to happen, but hey! Manhood!

Thing it, his brother was right in that it wasn't really HIS fault that this happened. In that sort of world, you often have no control. Orman provided the excuse, but another would have been found. However, Orman's conclusion is the correct one: they stand no chance, and ultimately their lives are far more important than "honor".

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Goddamn, this chapter. What the hell could Thorfinn possibly do at this point, except maybe meet up with Canute again briefly?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Goddamn, this chapter. What the hell could Thorfinn possibly do at this point, except maybe meet up with Canute again briefly?

Kick his rear end :black101:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'd like to see that actually.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Snake still need an evac.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Sounds like he wants to take old master Ketil with them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

YF-23 posted:

Sounds like he wants to take old master Ketil with them.
Betting on maybe Old Ketil, definitely Orman and Snake.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I wonder how Canute will react if he sees Thorfinn embracing the peaceful mindset in a greater way than he.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Arbite posted:

New Cesare.

Dudes sitting around talking about the history of the HRE. I love it!

Just started on this and I'd probably be happy if it was just "Fuyumi Soryo Draws the Hell Out of Renaissance Italy". Those backgrounds are fantastic.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I mostly just wonder if Canute would even recognize Thorfinn, given his change in appearance and demeanor. Seems to me he'd just look like another slave or worker of Ketil's, if Canute noticed him at all.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Zorak posted:

I wonder how Canute will react if he sees Thorfinn embracing the peaceful mindset in a greater way than he.

This is what I want to see.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
This narrows the scope of speculation a little bit, so skip it if you're having fun as is, but the untranslated Next Episode! stinger reads: "Thorfinn the warrior returns to the battlefield".

There's a little room for interpretation in the language, but I'm at least expecting some of that fancy viking karate leading up to a face off with Canute.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
If that happens I'm willing to bet it involves Thorfinn CQCing Brother Kill Everyone to save Canute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Zorak posted:

If that happens I'm willing to bet it involves Thorfinn CQCing Brother Kill Everyone to save Canute.

Assuming you're talking about Thorgil, I assume you're right. Thorfinn subdues all the violence in front of Canute, then he and Snake take the whole Ketil group back to the boat. Canute is left looking like the villain, dadhead laughs.

Wait, why are we spoiler tagging speculation?