Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

New (with a lax definition of new) dev diary for EU4. Can't wait to found the Royal Order of Saint George for the Defence of the Immaculate Conception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Best beer in the world my rear end. :colbert:

Other than that it's nice to see the amount of attention they're giving to the important nations in the HRE.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In Vicky 2 you can't get more than 100% warscore, right?

It's impossible to achieve Manifest Destiny for the US in one war.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
It's possible in the exact same way it was possible in real life: humiliate the gently caress out of Santa Anna and sign the Treaty of Guadaloupe Hidalgo. Make sure you have lots of cash on hand.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

quadrophrenic posted:

It's possible in the exact same way it was possible in real life: humiliate the gently caress out of Santa Anna and sign the Treaty of Guadaloupe Hidalgo. Make sure you have lots of cash on hand.

I think perhaps I need an explanation that focuses on the differences between playing a computer game and literally marching an army into Mexico City.

My war demands (for the cores I have on Mexico) come out to something around 114 warscore. The cap is 100. Mexico will give me 4 of the states I want but not all 5. Is there a way around this or do I need two wars?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Have you occupied all the territory you're fighting for? IIRC, the warscore needed to grab territories diminishes if you completely occupy it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

grancheater posted:

Have you occupied all the territory you're fighting for? IIRC, the warscore needed to grab territories diminishes if you completely occupy it.

Not since HOD came out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

And also gradually goes down in cost when you hold it for long, to about half (?). Not sure on the actual number, might have been tweaked in HoD since wars don't last that long in that expansion thanks to battle warscore and the tweaked AI.

I stand corrected.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

grancheater posted:

Yes. The problem is that the warscore appears to be capped at 100. The warscore needed to achieve all my aims is more than 100. I can occupy all of Mexico and it seems not get the peace I want.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Alchenar posted:

Yes. The problem is that the warscore appears to be capped at 100. The warscore needed to achieve all my aims is more than 100. I can occupy all of Mexico and it seems not get the peace I want.

Yepp. That's how it works.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
If you play NNM, you can activate the decision for the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo if (IIRC) you have occupied the manifest destiny states and you also occupy Mexico City? It signs a peace treaty with Mexico, gives you the manifest destiny and in exchange you pay Mexico a lump sum.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Is there a way to get rid of the constant province event things that constantly pause my game and I have to actually click each one? And with NNM elections are even more of a pain in the rear end with all the extra voting events during elections. I think I read earlier that someone was working on a mod that did that or something.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Well thanks to insomnnia and Steam sales, I'm about to get eaten alive by some new P-dox strategy games. Woo!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Alchenar posted:

Tag switch to Mexico and force them to accept the peace.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Is there a way to get rid of the constant province event things that constantly pause my game and I have to actually click each one? And with NNM elections are even more of a pain in the rear end with all the extra voting events during elections. I think I read earlier that someone was working on a mod that did that or something.

There was definitely a mod that moved the election and industrialization/mechanization events to become country-wide to cut down on the spam, but I think the creator never updated it for the latest patch.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Are the Great War mechanics in HoD completely borked? I am playing as Germany, and I was allied with the UK against a coalition of five states led by Russia. I was destroying Russia, had occupied the Caucasus up to St. Petersburg, etc, when they gave me a peace offer containing some of the demands I wanted and a "5x Great War Capitulation". I left the war, leaving the UK to it (still winning, obviously). Later on, a Russian ally (Netherlands) peaced out by offering a "15x Great War Capitulation" which I assume applied to the UK and all its allies, and then Hungary (another Russian ally) repeated the same. Even though both countries were destroyed, had no armies, etc. Why did that happen? Doesn't the capitulation basically destroy a country (disarming, reparations, etc?).

edit: At the end of the war, another Russia ally peaced out by imposing the 15x Capitulation on the UK, and then Russia surrendered by accepting a Capitulation :wtf:

az jan jananam fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 23, 2013

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Darkrenown posted:

Certainly there's a lot of things that could be streamlined a lot more, and trade is definitely one of them. Or do you mean you'd prefer not to have trade at all?

My opinion is that trade really doesn't matter in the HoI series at all and that its weaker for it. Don't get me wrong I love HoI games but trade and industry are simplified far too much for a time period where how national economies functioned largely dictated how they performed on the battlefield.

For example with England if you lose the U-boat war you (eventually) run out of (nationally produced) oil and rares to keep your industry going at which point you have to cut back construction to fund consumer goods. In reality England imported something like 70% of its food via shipping, losing your convoys should in my ideal HoI game should shoot up your dissent to giant amounts. In HoI2 IIRC losing convoy ships doesn't even affect trade between countries and I think in hoi3 if you lose all your transports then the transports of the other nation are used.

Really what I think paradox should do is somehow combine the combat/unit building aspects of HoI3 with everything Victoria 2 does now and release that as a grognerdy ww2 game and tweak HoI3/EvW into a 20th century sandbox game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

az jan jananam posted:

Are the Great War mechanics in HoD completely borked? I am playing as Germany, and I was allied with the UK against a coalition of five states led by Russia. I was destroying Russia, had occupied the Caucasus up to St. Petersburg, etc, when they gave me a peace offer containing some of the demands I wanted and a "5x Great War Capitulation". I left the war, leaving the UK to it (still winning, obviously). Later on, a Russian ally (Netherlands) peaced out by offering a "15x Great War Capitulation" which I assume applied to the UK and all its allies, and then Hungary (another Russian ally) repeated the same. Even though both countries were destroyed, had no armies, etc. Why did that happen? Doesn't the capitulation basically destroy a country (disarming, reparations, etc?).

edit: At the end of the war, another Russia ally peaced out by imposing the 15x Capitulation on the UK, and then Russia surrendered by accepting a Capitulation :wtf:

Hmm. This was supposed to be fixed in the patch; are you using it?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

CK2-EU3 savegame conversion question: The HRE dissolved in the 12th century in my CK2 game. Is there some other place on the map that could merit using the HRE mechanics in EU3, should I follow the CK2 game properly and totally remove the HRE, or should I ignore that bit and put the HRE back in anyways?

Current pic of the CK2/EU3 scenario-- still haven't redone bits of Russia and the Middle East:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

CK2-EU3 savegame conversion question: The HRE dissolved in the 12th century in my CK2 game. Is there some other place on the map that could merit using the HRE mechanics in EU3, should I follow the CK2 game properly and totally remove the HRE, or should I ignore that bit and put the HRE back in anyways?

Current pic of the CK2/EU3 scenario-- still haven't redone bits of Russia and the Middle East:

I think you should tell us what wonderful mapmod you're using :allears:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Beamed posted:

I think you should tell us what wonderful mapmod you're using :allears:
The base is just the DAO/Miscmods mod mashup, then the remove-the-map-folds map graphics whatchawhosit that EU3plus uses was also added in. That's it.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Rewrite history, throw it into India. Or China?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I picked up Vicky2 and its DLC during the recent sale, and I have to ask...are these costs normal?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

20,528? Yeah that sounds about right, honestly.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus, how does anything get built ever, then?

I'd been thinking about starting up as Haiti to learn the ropes, but given the local economy, the game would end before I could afford a factroy

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Raskolnikov38 posted:

My opinion is that trade really doesn't matter in the HoI series at all and that its weaker for it. Don't get me wrong I love HoI games but trade and industry are simplified far too much for a time period where how national economies functioned largely dictated how they performed on the battlefield.

For example with England if you lose the U-boat war you (eventually) run out of (nationally produced) oil and rares to keep your industry going at which point you have to cut back construction to fund consumer goods. In reality England imported something like 70% of its food via shipping, losing your convoys should in my ideal HoI game should shoot up your dissent to giant amounts. In HoI2 IIRC losing convoy ships doesn't even affect trade between countries and I think in hoi3 if you lose all your transports then the transports of the other nation are used.

Really what I think paradox should do is somehow combine the combat/unit building aspects of HoI3 with everything Victoria 2 does now and release that as a grognerdy ww2 game and tweak HoI3/EvW into a 20th century sandbox game.

Nah, you don't get to use anyone else's convoys in HoI3, the buyer always has to ship the goods and if they can't the trade goes inactive.

There's a few reasons why food isn't a resource in HoI, a couple are potential genocide stuff, and that we'd need to make a more detailed convoy model if we modelled the UK's reliance on imports that fully. I would like us to do better convoys sometime, but food as a resource will probably never happen.

Alchenar: Saw your post too, was interesting to read. I do agree doctrine paths were more interesting. I think initially research was intended to be harder and practical/theory less common, so you'd be guided along "soft" paths, but it ended up everyone could cherry pick the best parts with no real sacrifice.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Jesus, how does anything get built ever, then?

I'd been thinking about starting up as Haiti to learn the ropes, but given the local economy, the game would end before I could afford a factroy

Haiti is a really bad starting country. You've got an awful government, no income and no workforce to exploit. Haiti is a decently fun challenge game once you know what you're doing but the first few decades are really boring.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

uPen posted:

Haiti is a really bad starting country. You've got an awful government, no income and no workforce to exploit. Haiti is a decently fun challenge game once you know what you're doing but the first few decades are really boring.
Alright, then Haiti goes on the back burner for now. Let's say I start with Sweden, like in that screenshot...how the heck do I industrialize when a new factory costs 20 large?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Alright, then Haiti goes on the back burner for now. Let's say I start with Sweden, like in that screenshot...how the heck do I industrialize when a new factory costs 20 large?

A lot of the techs feature cutting factory cost.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Tax, wait.

When you get close, borrow the rest of what you need.

Grab a few finance techs to improve your tax rates and drop factory costs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Pin taxes at 100%, crank tariffs to 100%, research industrial techs. You can easily be pulling in several grand a day as a secondary power with a decent sized population.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Darkrenown posted:

There's a few reasons why food isn't a resource in HoI, a couple are potential genocide stuff, and that we'd need to make a more detailed convoy model if we modelled the UK's reliance on imports that fully. I would like us to do better convoys sometime, but food as a resource will probably never happen.

I haven't played the Vickys in a long time but the paradoxian indicates that pops need food resources as life needs and you can technically genocide through mass conversion and drafting of (at least some, like I said its been a while) pops to go die to enemy stacks.

Avoiding creating a genocide simulator is certainly a major concern when creating a game set in ww2 but since it is only a game not getting enough food resources could translate to dissent and revolts only. Maybe England isn't getting enough grain to make anything but open faced sandwiches and thus is enraging the population. :v:

Granted as you said its going to be a giant pain in the rear end to code so it'll never happen but a man can dream.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I never played enough of HOI3 to judge it on this front, but I've probably played more of HOI2 than is remotely healthy and I always found one of the biggest problems with the resource/convoy/supply/industry system to be the buildup of resource stockpiles. Playing as the UK in the 1936 start, you could build up hundreds of thousands of units of resources in your stockpiles before the war even started, so that by the time Germany actually has the chance to start convoy raiding, even if they're ridiculously successful at it and you have to stop all resource convoys just so you can ship supplies out to your troops, you still have huge enough stockpiles just sitting in London never spoiling that you can hold out for years by just running resource deficits to fuel industry. Even leaving aside the issues with convoy attacks not actually affecting the resources shipped on them, or trades being virtually invulnerable from interdiction, the game would have worked much better if there were caps on the amount of resources you could save at a time, so that maybe once you were over a certain number of units of any one resource they were converted into money or translated into a small IC boost or something, instead of building up a stockpile of 300k energy by January 1940.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Nah, you don't get to use anyone else's convoys in HoI3, the buyer always has to ship the goods and if they can't the trade goes inactive.

Alchenar: Saw your post too, was interesting to read. I do agree doctrine paths were more interesting. I think initially research was intended to be harder and practical/theory less common, so you'd be guided along "soft" paths, but it ended up everyone could cherry pick the best parts with no real sacrifice.

I think Raskolnikov38 is both right and wrong. It's tempting from a fan perspective to say that Vicky and HoI should be merged but they're different games with different themes and I think it would be a mistake to blend the two too much.

But this kind of discussion also impact on the question 'What kind of game does HoI want to be?' If the answer is 'It's a grand-strategy game about guiding a nation through a modern total war' then the game is really all about managing resource stockpiles and critical war-material factories and protecting convoys. It's not about picking from twenty unit types with a mix of a dozen stats to form a division that looks indistinguishable on the map from any other, which is where HOI3 falls down in terms of vision - it tries to be an operational level wargame on a grand-strategy scale.

I do see what the intention was with research in HoI3, but the soft-factors 'guiding' priorities were waaaay too soft and couldn't ever be hard enough for a major power not to research everything it wanted. But even then because land doctrines were grouped by unit type rather than, well... doctrine, if you had those units then you had to research the relevant techs. So though Germany gets a big boot to Blitzkrieg research, that's just good for tanks: most of your army is still infantry so you still need to get all the other techs. As does everyone else.

As far as Doctrine goes, I don't really know what I want from a hypothetical HoI4 in terms of precise mechanics, but I do think it's something that should be approached from the presumption of having it's own tab at the top of the screen. I think that either the general AI needs to get a lot better and allow for a lot more player interaction, or the game needs to let go of some of the detail at the smaller end of the scale and focus the player's attention on the big choices about how their armies are going to fight this war.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

Victoria II question, the British just released Columbia, as a con-mon, I checked them out, they have absolutely no pops of accepted or primary culture, and have a party in charge of limited citizenship.

So my question is, how hosed is Columbia?

Things missed in these images, the entire Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Clergy is Hungarian, and Serbians run an almost entirely Native American army.

As far as I can see they have instituted a democracy where none of them are allowed to vote because they're not British or French enough.

And there are no Bureaucrats or Capitalists, so there are no Native American labourers, but plenty of unemployed labourers from the Balkans.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Stalingrad posted:

Victoria II question, the British just released Columbia, as a con-mon, I checked them out, they have absolutely no pops of accepted or primary culture, and have a party in charge of limited citizenship.

So my question is, how hosed is Columbia?

Things missed in these images, the entire Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Clergy is Hungarian, and Serbians run an almost entirely Native American army.

As far as I can see they have instituted a democracy where none of them are allowed to vote because they're not British or French enough.

And there are no Bureaucrats or Capitalists, so there are no Native American labourers, but plenty of unemployed labourers from the Balkans.

Pretty hosed until someone of an accepted culture migrates there. Then everyone will assimilate within a couple years.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I never played enough of HOI3 to judge it on this front, but I've probably played more of HOI2 than is remotely healthy and I always found one of the biggest problems with the resource/convoy/supply/industry system to be the buildup of resource stockpiles.

Darkest Hour imposes limits on resource stockpiles. They're too generous IMO, but they're moddable.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Pretty hosed until someone of an accepted culture migrates there. Then everyone will assimilate within a couple years.

I should point out it's been like this for about 20 in game years by this point, no one from an accepted culture is moving there, but plenty of Wallonians, Greeks, Serbs, Hungarians and Germans, for reasons I can't entirely fathom.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm trying to edit in an heir into EU3, but for some reason said heir ends up being 1400 years old for no reason.

quote:

1372.2.28 = {
heir = {
name = "Takanashi"
ADM = 7
MIL = 7
DIP = 7
id = {
id = 50
type = 37
}
dynasty = "Taira"
birth_date = "1372.2.28"
}
}

Current date is 1399 October 14th. Anyone know what's the problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I always hated HoI3's research because honestly research teams were my favourite part of HoI. HoI3's research just feels ridiculously generic, and the removal of research teams is a large part of that. I still like the game a lot though, but that's one of my biggest hangups with it. They could be annoying, but they added a lot of flavour to the game. I love the many ways to automate stuff, but it should never feel as if there's no difference between managing it yourself and letting the ai do it and that's what research in HoI3 feels like.

Also that Columbia isn't nearly as hosed as a Mexico released California or Deseret. Good luck getting a Yankee to immigrate to your country. It is an advantage in that pops like to immigrate where pops of the same culture are and without any assimilation you get a ton of culture and a ridiculous amount of immigration. But no soldiers or anything so they're still kind of screwed.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 24, 2013

• Locked thread