Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
How the hell does somebody even damage a cord enough to need to replace one. Its not like they can burn out or anything, maybe if you got some lovely cord chewing dog.

Now that I think about it they should start selling those at Petsmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Broseph Brostar posted:

How the hell does somebody even damage a cord enough to need to replace one. Its not like they can burn out or anything, maybe if you got some lovely cord chewing dog.

Now that I think about it they should start selling those at Petsmart.

I stretch a network cable through my house's crawlspace from the back of the house where the router (and the only half-way decent cable outlet is) to my office on the other side of the house. I have to replace it about once every year or so because of raccoons and poo poo chewing through it since I live in the drat jungle. But yeah, that's like a ten dollar fee every year so it isn't much of an issue.

Also they should totally start selling cables and videogame controllers at petsmart. That's kind of brilliant.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah, the only cord I have ever seen damaged was the one that came with my lovely $10 headphones back in college. I have a box full of perfectly good cords from gadgets I've bought over the years. The gadgets died or were replaced, the cords are fine.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
The Monster replacement stuff is really useful if you're a musician (your instrument cables are going to get hosed up pretty much guaranteed, so you might as well pay a lot for one once and then never pay for one again). I have no idea why anyone would buy from them for home electronics, other than getting hooked by snake oil salesmanship.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I'm pretty sure this isn't the case any more, but I distinctly remember a time where most major outlets (Best Buy, etc) simply didn't carry anything BUT monster cables, as a giant gently caress you to their consumers.

I remember I very nearly bought some for my PS2's S-Video out once when I decided to try one more store, a Radio Shack, which thankfully actually had some semblance of selection.

Even though they've tried to re-imagine themselves as a sort of Spencers meets a cell phone kiosk, I still respect Radio Shack for carrying hard-to-find pieces and actually carrying poo poo for the hobbyist electricians.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Off topic, but Mad Catz has a summer sale on right now. , which includes the WWE Brawl Stick for $19.99 (PS3 only). For the price it's a great "first stick".
Thanks for the heads-up. Decent cheap controllers are never off-topic in this thread.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Soulcleaver posted:

Thanks for the heads-up. Decent cheap controllers are never off-topic in this thread.

Anyone have any experience with the Hori EX2 and if so, anywhere to get a pair for cheaper? http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/

Looks like it'd solve every emulation need imaginable (with the 6-button face & twin sticks).

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

wixard posted:

What everyone forgets is you can return any non-working Monster Cable and get a new one free. Like you can buy one, walk into the parking lot, cut it in half, and go back in for a new one at any Monster Authorized Dealer. Most people I know who spend the money do it for the warranty, not the signal quality.

e: Monoprice is still probably cheaper in the long run, but if you're in Best Buy and have to choose between the $15 storebrand with no warranty and $30 Monster to make something work today...

"What everyone forgets"

That post you just made sounds exactly like the kind of stuff you hear from door to door vacuum salesmen. Monster is a tax on dumb/uninformed/lazy people and its pretty lame to try to make it sound like their demographic is refined, niche consumers.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 21, 2013

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

I'm struggling to think of one time I've had any kind of cable go bad in 25 years of plugging them into things.

I mean I'm sure it's happened but definitely not enough times to justify buying even one name brand cable.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I had a digital coaxial cable go bad a month ago. Cost me 11 bucks to get a new one at Target.

That's really the only time in my life I've had a cable go bad on me.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

40 OZ posted:

"What everyone forgets"

That post you just made sounds exactly like the kind of stuff you hear from door to door vacuum salesmen. Monster is a tax on dumb/uninformed/lazy people and its pretty lame to try to make it sound like their demographic is refined, niche consumers.

Monster cable is also sliiiightly less insulting when it comes to Analog cables.

For digital cables, it's not that signal *never* matters (being above/below a certain threshold as far as any kind of error correction or tolerance exists) but most people are only dealing with 3-4 foot cables here, and so basically if they've got a good enough cable that HDCP isn't freaking the gently caress out on their HDMI cable, they're good - even with some low-rung quality cable. No 'quality' difference in that regard.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

40 OZ posted:

Their niche was already mentioned: musicians. The people who may need several cables that are more than 10' long, and who can spend the price of a new gaming console on cables every year or 2 depending on how clumsy, drunk, or flamboyant they are. I just pointed out if you're smart, you're paying for the warranty with Monster, not for your data to come out cleaner on the other side. If you're comparing $5 monoprice to $25 generic storebrand to $50 Monster, $50 isn't worth it for most people but I would call the storebrand cable the biggest rip-off.

The $125 Monster Super-Duper-Premium HDMI cables are absurd but someone has to sell stuff like that to idiots with too much money.

\/\/ - Oh you definitely get a high quality cable with Monster. But I think you correctly pointed out, most people won't notice especially with digital signals. But what Monster still has over other quality manufacturers like Mogami and Canare is the distribution and the warranty that let you walk into a store in whatever city you're in and replace it.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 21, 2013

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

wixard posted:

Their niche was already mentioned: musicians. The people who may need several cables that are more than 10' long, and who can spend the price of a new gaming console on cables every year or 2 depending on how clumsy, drunk, or flamboyant they are. I just pointed out if you're smart, you're paying for the warranty with Monster, not for your data to come out cleaner on the other side. If you're comparing $5 monoprice to $25 generic storebrand to $50 Monster, $50 isn't worth it for most people but I would call the storebrand cable the biggest rip-off.

The $125 Monster Super-Duper-Premium HDMI cables are absurd but someone has to sell stuff like that to idiots with too much money.
I wasn't really speaking to that case, because as you say it was covered.

I was just pointing out that (I can't speak for this being uniformly true, I just know some people have actually taken scopes to some of their cables/competitors to see how decent they are) sometimes they *are* better than some of the competition, but not the orders of magnitude better that the price tries to demand of course. Or their bullshit marketing that tries to say the (digital) picture/sound will be better.

Like those belkin GOLD PLATED ethernet cables for FASTER BITS.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

wixard posted:

most people won't notice especially with digital signals

Can you?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Probably if I'm looking at a production video switcher or an oscilloscope, which I do from time to time. If you can't tell, I work with cables a lot.

For instance, if you are going to play Angry Birds on a 75' wide video screen, I recommend using $50 Monster Cables.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 21, 2013

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
So you can. That is amazing and I will concede.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Hori EX2 and if so, anywhere to get a pair for cheaper? http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Pad-EX-Turbo-Black/dp/B002LT9PXQ/

Looks like it'd solve every emulation need imaginable (with the 6-button face & twin sticks).

Get the brawl sticks instead. They have better mechanisms and can be swapped out when they fail. The Hori sticks are all soldered in and use non-standard joystick components.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Antillese posted:

Get the brawl sticks instead. They have better mechanisms and can be swapped out when they fail. The Hori sticks are all soldered in and use non-standard joystick components.

Did you look at what he linked

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Can we please stop talking about Monster cables?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

systran posted:

Can we please stop talking about Monster cables?
What about Monster combos?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't speak for the Hori EX2, but the Fighting Game Commander I have is a drat good pad, good adjustable d-pad and awesome buttons. So they can make good six-buttons pads, I'm just not sure if that one, not being a fighting game pad, is anywhere as good.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Question Mark Mound posted:

What about Monster combos?

Wait, I thought we are talking about combos from a game called Monster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJNkJCz5uhs

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Dias posted:

I can't speak for the Hori EX2, but the Fighting Game Commander I have is a drat good pad, good adjustable d-pad and awesome buttons. So they can make good six-buttons pads, I'm just not sure if that one, not being a fighting game pad, is anywhere as good.

I have this already and it'd be decent if it wasn't made for midget hands. It's so tiny that my hands overlap.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Off topic, but Mad Catz has a summer sale on right now. , which includes the WWE Brawl Stick for $19.99 (PS3 only). For the price it's a great "first stick".

Just bought this, thanks.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
Do we know if any of the Tekken guys are working on the next Smash Bros.?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

More stuff from the Top 200 Fighting Game Endings countdown.

Part Seven (80-61)
Part Eight (60-41)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I've been waiting for the KOF XI Fatal Fury team ending to show up! Drunk Kim is the best.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This is the best thing in the history of forever. :allears:

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

This is the best thing in the history of forever. :allears:

It's silly things like this that make the EX series my favorite Street Fighter series.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Gavok posted:

Part Seven (80-61)
Part Eight (60-41)

I don't know if you get any feedback on these, but they're consistently entertaining and I appreciate your work.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Gavok posted:

Part Seven (80-61)
Part Eight (60-41)

Really, really entertaining read. I'm bad at fighting games but I like the lore in them.

By the way, how are endings in Neogeo games? Garou, Last Blade? I saw Samurai Shodown represented only twice on your list.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

By the way, how are endings in Neogeo games? Garou, Last Blade? I saw Samurai Shodown represented only twice on your list.

Most Neo-Geo fighting game endings are very goofy with very little effort put into them. There are some really good King of Fighters ones, though, and I think Gavok has caught most of them.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

Really, really entertaining read. I'm bad at fighting games but I like the lore in them.

the best endings for snk games tend to be the picture only endings (ALA real bout fatal fury) their serious endings are waaaaay too convoluted for something that is only covered by maybe 2 prior cutscenes in a fight. (garou, kof)

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I never had any idea what was going on in Garou story-wise, to be honest. I just played it to admire the art.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

I never had any idea what was going on in Garou story-wise, to be honest. I just played it to admire the art.

I'm pretty sure the only thing you need to know about the Garou story is that here, THE MIGHTY RULE!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Veib posted:

I'm pretty sure the only thing you need to know about the Garou story is that here, THE MIGHTY RULE!

The best thing about Garou's story is that Geese is easily the most important and influential character despite not actually being IN the game.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Soulcleaver posted:

I don't know if you get any feedback on these, but they're consistently entertaining and I appreciate your work.

Thanks, man.

Terminally Bored posted:

Garou and Last Blade endings look really, really nice, but that's all they seem to have going for them. Especially since Garou looks like it's supposed to be the prelude for a bigger sequel that never comes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
It's a lot easier to keep up with once you know what games don't take place in the continuity (of which there are many and I'll be omitting here). Here's a Cliff's Notes version of the storyline in what pertains to Terry (and Andy), Geese (and Billy), Rock and Kain.

Pre-Fatal Fury: Geese Howard and Jeff Bogard train alongside each other. Jeff is chosen for advancement over Geese; Geese in his jealousy, kills Jeff Bogard. Adolescent Terry and Andy swear revenge.

Art of Fighting 2: Most don't know this, but Art of Fighting takes places quite some time before Fatal Fury (AoF is 80's vs FF's 90's). This is when he is revealed to be the man behind Mr. Big as the new head of the Southtown underworld. Curiously, in his youth, he bears a striking resemblance to Andy (introducing a minor subplot of history repeating itself as Andy becomes increasingly ruthless with each successive game).

Fatal Fury: Terry knocks Geese from his skyscraper (Geese Tower) and into what he believes to be certain death. However, before hitting the ground, Geese shoots an airblast (Shippu-Ken) to break his fall. He lives, but is seriously injured from the explosion of glass from the nearby cars and buildings hit from his air blast. From this point he goes into hiding to recover and runs his empire from behind the scenes with his subordinates Billy Kane and Mr. Big (of Art of Fighting).

Fatal Fury 3: Ryuji Yamazaki, a psychotic member of the Yakuza recently out of prison, starts tearing up Geese's operations to draw him out of hiding. Geese emerges, now covered in scars from his experiences at the end of the previous game. News of his survival draw Terry, Andy and Joe back to Southtown.

Geese discovers that Yakazaki is now a bodyguard for the Jins (Chonrei and Chonshu), who are said to hold the scrolls of immortality. Geese obtains the scrolls, but believes them to be nothing more than legend. However, in the process he discovers that Yamazaki is part of the Hakkesshu (the Heavenly Kings of Orochi). This ties into what he had heard from Billy Kane after he and Eiji Kisaragi were beaten nearly to death by their former teammate, Iori Yagami, who's blood is tainted by Orochi's power and drove him into a murderous rage. Intrigued by this mysterious power, Geese decides to investigate the matter himself.

The King of Fighters '96: Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser (his half-sibling relation to Geese from the anime now made official by SNK) and Mr. Big enter the KOF tournament and have virtually everybody gunning for them from the start (no less than 4 teams: Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Team Korea and the Women's Team bear grudges). By the end of the tournament, Geese decides that the Orochi power just leads to destruction and trying to capture it tantamount to suicide.

At this point, Mr. Big makes his move by having a sniper attempt to kill Geese. However, Billy Kane blocks the shot and Mr. Big escapes before they can retaliate.

Real Bout Fatal Fury: Geese returns to his operations in Southtown with the Bogards in hot pursuit to finish him once and for all.

In his ending, Terry, upon realizing that Geese has a young son, attempts to save Geese so the child won't go without a father like he did. However, Geese throws Terry's hand away and falls to his death. Terry goes onto raise Rock as his own son so in hopes of breaking the cycle of revenge and to give him the life that Geese took away from him.

For his ending, Andy realizes that his pursuit of revenge has consumed his life and that he slowly turning into the man he's trying to kill. His attempt to save Geese was, in essence, and attempt to save himself. Like in Terry's ending, Geese throws Andy's hand away and plummets into the darkness. Finally realizing the life he's been neglecting, Andy retires from fighting, leaves Southtown and goes with Mai to Japan to open a dojo.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves: This takes place some ten years following the events of the previous game. Southtown's become peaceful since Geese's downfall; Rock's come of age, but is haunted by his father's legacy and begins to wonder about the family Terry is sheltering him from. A mysterious man, Kain R. Heinlein emerges with a keen interest in Rock.

As it turns out, Kain is his uncle (from his deceased mother's side), and wishes to take Rock in to help him understand his power and heritage. Terry opposes this, but respects Rock's wishes to reconnect with his family and hopes that Rock will resist Kain's influence.

Minor Note: Hokatumaru is from Andy and Mai's dojo. Whether he is their son has never been revealed.

The King of Fighters 2000: A very subtle clue here hints and what could have come in Garou 2. Amongst the strikers that are notorious in this game were a wide selection of hidden strikers. A number of these hidden strikers are characters that died in previous games (Yashiro, Shermie, Chris, etc). Whenever a living striker left the fight, they would leap off-screen; however, whenever a deceased striker left the fight, they would vanish. Geese was among these hidden strikers and when he was left the fight, he leapt off-screen.

The suggestion here was that the Scrolls of Immortality that he obtained in Fatal Fury 3 were real after all and that Geese was not only still alive, but was now immortal. Which opened all sorts of questions: why did he stay underground? Why did he let Terry raise his son? Did he send Kain to retrieve Rock? All of these things could've been answered in Garou 2; but it was a sequel that never came (the reasons of which are reserved for a whole 'nother post).

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Ghostpilot posted:

It's a lot easier to keep up with once you know what games don't take place in the continuity (of which there are many and I'll be omitting here). Here's a Cliff's Notes version of the storyline in what pertains to Terry (and Andy), Geese (and Billy), Rock and Kain.

Pre-Fatal Fury: Geese Howard and Jeff Bogard train alongside each other. Jeff is chosen for advancement over Geese; Geese in his jealousy, kills Jeff Bogard. Adolescent Terry and Andy swear revenge.

Art of Fighting 2: Most don't know this, but Art of Fighting takes places quite some time before Fatal Fury (AoF is 80's vs FF's 90's). This is when he is revealed to be the man behind Mr. Big as the new head of the Southtown underworld. Curiously, in his youth, he bears a striking resemblance to Andy (introducing a minor subplot of history repeating itself as Andy becomes increasingly ruthless with each successive game).

Fatal Fury: Terry knocks Geese from his skyscraper (Geese Tower) and into what he believes to be certain death. However, before hitting the ground, Geese shoots an airblast (Shippu-Ken) to break his fall. He lives, but is seriously injured from the explosion of glass from the nearby cars and buildings hit from his air blast. From this point he goes into hiding to recover and runs his empire from behind the scenes with his subordinates Billy Kane and Mr. Big (of Art of Fighting).

Fatal Fury 3: Ryuji Yamazaki, a psychotic member of the Yakuza recently out of prison, starts tearing up Geese's operations to draw him out of hiding. Geese emerges, now covered in scars from his experiences at the end of the previous game. News of his survival draw Terry, Andy and Joe back to Southtown.

Geese discovers that Yakazaki is now a bodyguard for the Jins (Chonrei and Chonshu), who are said to hold the scrolls of immortality. Geese obtains the scrolls, but believes them to be nothing more than legend. However, in the process he discovers that Yamazaki is part of the Hakkesshu (the Heavenly Kings of Orochi). This ties into what he had heard from Billy Kane after he and Eiji Kisaragi were beaten nearly to death by their former teammate, Iori Yagami, who's blood is tainted by Orochi's power and drove him into a murderous rage. Intrigued by this mysterious power, Geese decides to investigate the matter himself.

The King of Fighters '96: Geese Howard, Wolfgang Krauser (his half-sibling relation to Geese from the anime now made official by SNK) and Mr. Big enter the KOF tournament and have virtually everybody gunning for them from the start (no less than 4 teams: Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Team Korea and the Women's Team bear grudges). By the end of the tournament, Geese decides that the Orochi power just leads to destruction and trying to capture it tantamount to suicide.

At this point, Mr. Big makes his move by having a sniper attempt to kill Geese. However, Billy Kane blocks the shot and Mr. Big escapes before they can retaliate.

Real Bout Fatal Fury: Geese returns to his operations in Southtown with the Bogards in hot pursuit to finish him once and for all.

In his ending, Terry, upon realizing that Geese has a young son, attempts to save Geese so the child won't go without a father like he did. However, Geese throws Terry's hand away and falls to his death. Terry goes onto raise Rock as his own son so in hopes of breaking the cycle of revenge and to give him the life that Geese took away from him.

For his ending, Andy realizes that his pursuit of revenge has consumed his life and that he slowly turning into the man he's trying to kill. His attempt to save Geese was, in essence, and attempt to save himself. Like in Terry's ending, Geese throws Andy's hand away and plummets into the darkness. Finally realizing the life he's been neglecting, Andy retires from fighting, leaves Southtown and goes with Mai to Japan to open a dojo.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves: This takes place some ten years following the events of the previous game. Southtown's become peaceful since Geese's downfall; Rock's come of age, but is haunted by his father's legacy and begins to wonder about the family Terry is sheltering him from. A mysterious man, Kain R. Heinlein emerges with a keen interest in Rock.

As it turns out, Kain is his uncle (from his deceased mother's side), and wishes to take Rock in to help him understand his power and heritage. Terry opposes this, but respects Rock's wishes to reconnect with his family and hopes that Rock will resist Kain's influence.

Minor Note: Hokatumaru is from Andy and Mai's dojo. Whether he is their son has never been revealed.

The King of Fighters 2000: A very subtle clue here hints and what could have come in Garou 2. Amongst the strikers that are notorious in this game were a wide selection of hidden strikers. A number of these hidden strikers are characters that died in previous games (Yashiro, Shermie, Chris, etc). Whenever a living striker left the fight, they would leap off-screen; however, whenever a deceased striker left the fight, they would vanish. Geese was among these hidden strikers and when he was left the fight, he leapt off-screen.

The suggestion here was that the Scrolls of Immortality that he obtained in Fatal Fury 3 were real after all and that Geese was not only still alive, but was now immortal. Which opened all sorts of questions: why did he stay underground? Why did he let Terry raise his son? Did he send Kain to retrieve Rock? All of these things could've been answered in Garou 2; but it was a sequel that never came (the reasons of which are reserved for a whole 'nother post).

Cheesy as might be, the story is interesting. I remember reading somwhere that Terry and Andy were adopted by Jeff Bogard, is it true?

Shame about Garou that game was really fun and introduced Tizoc, one of my favorite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Whenever a living striker left the fight, they would leap off-screen; however, whenever a deceased striker left the fight, they would vanish. Geese was among these hidden strikers and when he was left the fight, he leapt off-screen.

:wth: How the gently caress did I not notice that sooner. holy poo poo.

• Locked thread