Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Reo posted:

Man, there is always that one person who just doesn't coordinate.

Are you talking about the one with the different colored jacket or the one with the completely different logo? I can't remember from the movie if either are accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

SheepNameKiller posted:

Are you talking about the one with the different colored jacket or the one with the completely different logo? I can't remember from the movie if either are accurate.

Since that post I've been looking around and can't find any stills of the movie with the far right logo in it, but it does seem widespread among fan-made vests. I wonder what that's all about. As for the color, it looks like the one guy who's off from the rest just got it wrong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Visual Sneeze posted:

Since that post I've been looking around and can't find any stills of the movie with the far right logo in it, but it does seem widespread among fan-made vests. I wonder what that's all about.

It's the (incorrect) logo used in the computer game.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Reo posted:

Man, there is always that one person who just doesn't coordinate.

None of the vests are the same, the ones with the same logo all have other differences.

DanimalJenkins
Nov 15, 2010
Here's some of me and my friends from last weekend in Long Island.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy hell that's a good Sergeant Slaughter.

DanimalJenkins
Nov 15, 2010
He had the voice and attitude down. Absolutely brilliant.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Is that guy on the far right using the 80's Return of the Jedi action figure carry case blaster as his rifle!?

:aaa:

Edit: Sure as hell looks like it:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Apparently The Last Of Us is about humans infected with a sort of cordyceps fungus. I'm actually going to spoiler tag these because they're kind of gruesome. And awesome.

The gallery these are from is here.

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.

DanimalJenkins posted:

Woah, I was there! I saw you guys, you looked awesome! A friend of mine and I went in Star Trek uniforms. Here's some other pics of awesome costumes from that same day:

There was also a pair of tiny Anakins (first and third movie, scar and everything :3:) but I couldn't get a picture.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

LanceKing2200 posted:

Is that guy on the far right using the 80's Return of the Jedi action figure carry case blaster as his rifle!?

:aaa:

Edit: Sure as hell looks like it:

DanimalJenkins posted:

That belongs in a museum!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Ringo Star Get posted:

That belongs in a museum!

So do you!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Vanderdeath posted:

Poison was straight-up transgender in the original Final Fight from the get-go. I've always found the topic funny because a couple of my friends seem to hate admitting they find a transgendered character appealing to look at.

I hope your response to them is "It's a palette swap of another female character, and it's made of a bunch of pixels anyway, so it literally couldn't possibly matter less whether it's supposed to have a dick or not."

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

DIGGING the Alley Viper! He was my favorite action figure when I was a kid because of the flip up visor.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah dude. The visor was cool and all but the ORANGE AND BLUE CAMO was the poo poo.

The shield though, THAT was the reason to buy it. That is an amazing shield. The toy didn't even have a sword or anything, but god dammit you just KNEW he would bash the gently caress out of any Joe that somehow spotted him in his neon ORANGE AND BLUE camo.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Wow, I know it's been said already, but it bears repeating: that Sgt. Slaughter is loving amazing.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah dude. The visor was cool and all but the ORANGE AND BLUE CAMO was the poo poo.

The shield though, THAT was the reason to buy it. That is an amazing shield. The toy didn't even have a sword or anything, but god dammit you just KNEW he would bash the gently caress out of any Joe that somehow spotted him in his neon ORANGE AND BLUE camo.

Oh yes for sure. The guy was so loving cocky he didnt even CARE what Camo meant OR what it was supposed to do. Why loving blend in when you can BLEND OUT?

I swear he had a weapon like a baton inside his shield though.. but he'd be like.. HEY gently caress YOU and just begin hitting you with his shield and urinating on your grandma.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Timg'ed for space. This guy came up a few pages ago, but I cannot reiterate just how incredible this cosplay is:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Great Green Auk posted:

Please tell me he had a harmonica hidden in the mouthpiece.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jedit posted:

It's the (incorrect) logo used in the computer game.

Something I just learned is that the snake-and-flames logo had to be created because immediately after The Warriors, the movie, was released, The Hell's Angels prohibited further use of any logo featuring a skull and wings.

So that one guy using the video game version of the Warriors' gang logo would probably be the one least likely to get his rear end kicked by a pissed-off biker gang.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Tewratomeh posted:

Something I just learned is that the snake-and-flames logo had to be created because immediately after The Warriors, the movie, was released, The Hell's Angels prohibited further use of any logo featuring a skull and wings.

So that one guy using the video game version of the Warriors' gang logo would probably be the one least likely to get his rear end kicked by a pissed-off biker gang.

On the other hand, "I got my rear end kicked by the Hell's Angels at an anime convention" makes one hell of a story for the grandkids.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.

Tewratomeh posted:

How exactly does that work? I mean they are a criminal organization according the U.S. Department of Justice, seems kind of odd that they can just claim any and all use of a skull and wings logo. I mean granted the original Warriors logo was literally just a front-facing view of the Hell's Angel logo, so I could see them maybe trademarking that, but saying nobody can make any other logo out of a skull and wings seems kind of...off.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Honey Badger posted:

How exactly does that work? I mean they are a criminal organization according the U.S. Department of Justice, seems kind of odd that they can just claim any and all use of a skull and wings logo. I mean granted the original Warriors logo was literally just a front-facing view of the Hell's Angel logo, so I could see them maybe trademarking that, but saying nobody can make any other logo out of a skull and wings seems kind of...off.

It's very weird. Officially, Hells Angels Motorcycle Corporation is a registered corporation with registered trademarks and legitimate business interests. The DoJ contends that they're a criminal organization, but the company's stance is that any crimes are the acts of the individuals involved (and, in extreme cases, possibly the franchise chapter).

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Yond Cassius posted:

It's very weird. Officially, Hells Angels Motorcycle Corporation is a registered corporation with registered trademarks and legitimate business interests. The DoJ contends that they're a criminal organization, but the company's stance is that any crimes are the acts of the individuals involved (and, in extreme cases, possibly the franchise chapter).
I remember reading a book about an ATF agent that went undercover in the Mongols MC and they mentioned that the Mongols guys talked a lot of poo poo about the Hells Angels being pussies because they trademarked their logo and 'went legit' with that part of the club. The ATF guy suggested the Mongols do the same because the Hells Angels were raking in boatloads of cash selling their merch at motorcycle events, and it would have solved a lot of the club's financial problems. The Hells Angels have sued for breach of trademark in the past, and in the case of Alexander McQueen/Zappos/Saks lawsuit came away with an out of court settlement and an agreement for the infringing merchandise to be destroyed.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Arcsquad12 posted:

Timg'ed for space. This guy came up a few pages ago, but I cannot reiterate just how incredible this cosplay is:

I thought the pictures of the costume was some kind of special model kit for a second there. If Games Workshop ever wanted to make a Space Marine movie they need to hire this guy.
I love that someone made a figure of the costume, thats so drat nerdy and awesome.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Supanova Sydney. I was hungover or something this year and only took a single photo of somebody.

The rest are here http://imgur.com/a/gXW8C

Hoff was there. It wasn't very memorable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Dreadwroth posted:

I thought the pictures of the costume was some kind of special model kit for a second there. If Games Workshop ever wanted to make a Space Marine movie they need to hire this guy.
I love that someone made a figure of the costume, thats so drat nerdy and awesome.

You can't brag about beating up some cosplayers so those kids are most likely safe.
I gt the feeling that dude with the space marine costume would get hit with a cease and desist and destroy order of GW got wind of the costume.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

LingcodKilla posted:

I gt the feeling that dude with the space marine costume would get hit with a cease and desist and destroy order of GW got wind of the costume.

I fail to see how that would be a legal option in any world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What a Judas posted:

All costumers are safe until they start making money. Lucasfilm hit some 501st guys with c&d orders a while back because they were selling stormtrooper helmets on forums for profit.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

All costumers are safe until they start making money. Lucasfilm hit some 501st guys with c&d orders a while back because they were selling stormtrooper helmets on forums for profit.

I don't see anything about him making money off of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What a Judas posted:

Copy right infringement on each piece of war gear and blood angel logo? Long story short GW giant money grubbing assholes.

Could they send in a dude to offer lunch in exchange for a photo shoot and then sue him for making money off their rights?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

What a Judas posted:

I don't see anything about him making money off of it.

I wasn't implying that he was. Now if he started charging for appearances at games stores he'd be in deep poo poo. There's lots of 501st guys who make money doing birthday parties and other events in their gear and if that got around to Disney they could C&D the entire organization.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Copy right infringement on each piece of war gear and blood angel logo? Long story short GW giant money grubbing assholes.

Could they send in a dude to offer lunch in exchange for a photo shoot and then sue him for making money off their rights?

Cosplay is a field day of this kind of "infringement", and there's really no legal recourse for it unless they're profiting from it. I can paint a Batman logo on my car all day, if I wanted to, that doesn't mean DC gets to sue me. The same thing applies here.

Rhyno posted:

I wasn't implying that he was. Now if he started charging for appearances at games stores he'd be in deep poo poo. There's lots of 501st guys who make money doing birthday parties and other events in their gear and if that got around to Disney they could C&D the entire organization.

Right, I wasn't sure if there was part of the conversation I was missing or what. I don't see any legal action being viable based on what I (we?) know right now. If he starts profiting from it, then you'd be right.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

What a Judas posted:

Cosplay is a field day of this kind of "infringement", and there's really no legal recourse for it unless they're profiting from it. I can paint a Batman logo on my car all day, if I wanted to, that doesn't mean DC gets to sue me. The same thing applies here.
I think you're mistaken there - though I have nothing to do with the legal profession I have worked for some fairly litigious companies... so take all this with a grain of salt, but don't forget the concept of damages. If a team of bored lawyers can prove that you've lowered the public's esteem of the intellectual property to a degree where the property is considered "less valuable", they can sue for damages. The situation would have to be pretty severe in order to bring the hammer down, but I believe it is possible, so don't make the mistake of thinking that they can't touch you because money hasn't changed hands.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Dreadwroth posted:

That's not just the figure that he's basing the costume on?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think you guys have forgotten that GW actually tried to say they owned the rights to the term Space Marine.

Those guys are loving insane when it comes to copyright enforcement. I can easily see them making this guy's life a living hell if they thought they'd get 20 bucks off it somehow.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think you guys have forgotten that GW actually tried to say they owned the rights to the term Space Marine.

Those guys are loving insane when it comes to copyright enforcement. I can easily see them making this guy's life a living hell if they thought they'd get 20 bucks off it somehow.

I really doubt that, considering the Games Days I've been to have always had a costume contest.

*Edit* Assuming that there was more than one person in a costume, of course.

DanimalJenkins
Nov 15, 2010
Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention that I'm the orange Alley Viper. There are 2 in our costume group, one in Cali and then me on the East Coast. We are 99% identical. He has a different gun and balaclava.

Anyways, I was working on a 40K costume, but it's such a pain. I can't buy a bolter from anyone in the 40K cosplay community because if GW's lawyers got wind someone sold a bolter they would build a time machine just to be able to sue at the exact second they felt profitable copyright infringement had occurred. Ditto for any component. So, you have to build everything yourself or find someone willing to do it for free. The Alley Viper I built myself (a lot of scouring surplus stores and websites, and modifications) aside from the shield and helmet, which were made by a friend of mine who owns Pit Viper Studios. So, not being good at casting helmets, I contracted a professional. PVS got around Hasbro's copyrights by renaming everything. Serpent Leader helmet, Snake Infantry, Urban Marine (that was the AV helmet name). Hasbro employees have actually told him in person at a con they love his creative ways around the lawyers. GW's lawyers are not so easily dodged.

Anyways, here's some content. My friend Mike at WW Philly this year. I was hoping to run across him while I was suited up as Alley Viper because I wanted some shootout pics, but I didn't see him until right after I changed back into shopping clothes.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Hydrolith posted:

That's not just the figure that he's basing the costume on?
Oh huh I think you might be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruggala
Oct 22, 2005

Coo coo cachoo
Wore my Sandman cosplay over the weekend.

• Locked thread