Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fingers McGee posted:

I was opposed to the hatch too but there was something about the 2nd gen that really grew on me.

I love driving mine and I still think it looks dorky as poo poo from any angle where you can see the grille. But yeah if they'd have made a Speed version of the 2nd gen sedan I'da got that instead of the hatch.

Didn't I hear rumors that they were going to Speed the Skyactive-D in the 6, like those race cars that didn't do so hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In other news, Corksport is going hog wild with new MS3 parts, they now have coilovers and this week announced new 4 piston calipers. Their rep on Mazdas247 claims these parts are also in the works for the MS6 as well.

http://www.corksport.com/blog/

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Phy posted:

I love driving mine and I still think it looks dorky as poo poo from any angle where you can see the grille. But yeah if they'd have made a Speed version of the 2nd gen sedan I'da got that instead of the hatch.

Didn't I hear rumors that they were going to Speed the Skyactive-D in the 6, like those race cars that didn't do so hot?

What color? I think one thing that attracted me to the black was the front doesn't stick out as much. Back when I got my 3s I was hell bent on a sedan after owning a 2 door coupe. I'm interested to see what Mazda does. I thought that was going to be my last turbo hot rod. I'm not sure where I'll go after this mid life crisis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would be really stupid to buy a second MS6 right? Like even if it was a loving steal?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I really can't fathom why you would want two cars that are as near as possible to being absolutely identical.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, I really can't fathom why you would want two cars that are as near as possible to being absolutely identical.

The lady needs a better car than that loving Beetle. Other than that I can't fathom doing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ah, I forget you have that thing, and thought this was somehow supposed to be another car for you personally.

I'd still have a hard time owning two identical cars (I view needing a car for me and a car for the wife as an opportunity to have two vehicles that are each good at something different) but I think I'd take two MS6s over a MS6 and a Beetle. At least it makes more of a case for stocking up on consumables! :haw:

Speaking of which, I really need to photograph my stash of leftover MS3 parts so that I can put them up on SAMart.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It would be "mine" but she'd drive it. Plus it would give me a test bed for anything i do to mine.

I dunno, it would kill my savings and mean no Miata but it IS a really great deal. '06, white, 130K for $8000. Owned by a friends boyfriend who lost his job and needs to downsize his fleet.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Eight grand for a WWP is a steal! I'd just check the rear motor mount/2nd gear for notchiness, and RR rear diff mount for 'sick launches' gone wrong. I wish I held out for a white MS6 every time I see one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My god dude, there is nothing wrong with having two of the same car in the household. IOC kinda has a point but if the car is entertaining, standardizing on one model will simplify maintenance a good deal.

Back when the MS6 was a thing, I preferred the 3 over the 6 due to interior fitments, but good god drat I would kill to have the 2.3 turbo with an AWD setup.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Eight grand for a WWP is a steal! I'd just check the rear motor mount/2nd gear for notchiness, and RR rear diff mount for 'sick launches' gone wrong. I wish I held out for a white MS6 every time I see one.

I passed the dude's contact info along to a friend who loves my car, I just can't justify it when I want a Miata and maybe a small beater truck.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of which, I really need to photograph my stash of leftover MS3 parts so that I can put them up on SAMart.

In case anyone needs some oil filters, rear Hawk HPS pads, or maaaaaybe some rotors.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Finally got some decent pics of the car. Just washed and quick detailed last night.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Your MS3 makes me wish I had picked one up instead. Going to have to detail my MS6 tomorrow in a fit of jealousy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

Your MS3 makes me wish I had picked one up instead. Going to have to detail my MS6 tomorrow in a fit of jealousy.

Our cars have AWD. We win.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Rhyno posted:

I think NoDoze said he saw something about a Turbo Skyactive. I'd love to be able to stay in a Speed car down the line.

I don't remember hearing anything about a turbo skyactiv yet. The 6 has a turdo diesel engine that is supposed to be coming over, and supposedly going in the CX-5 too. Plus there's the long standing rumor of the next Miata being a turbo

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I am curious as to what Mazda uses to secure brake rotors to the hub assemblies on gen1 3 hatchbacks.

I am going to assume "the power of the gods"

Because them bitches REFUSE to come off, penetrating oil and sledgehammers be damned. Not a millimetre of movement from an HOUR of beating on both rotors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

I don't remember hearing anything about a turbo skyactiv yet. The 6 has a turdo diesel engine that is supposed to be coming over, and supposedly going in the CX-5 too. Plus there's the long standing rumor of the next Miata being a turbo

Well that stinks.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

MA-Horus posted:

I am curious as to what Mazda uses to secure brake rotors to the hub assemblies on gen1 3 hatchbacks.

Because them bitches REFUSE to come off, penetrating oil and sledgehammers be damned. Not a millimetre of movement from an HOUR of beating on both rotors.

bigger sledgehammer and have no mechanical sympathy?

That always works for me when I have a brake rotor that won't come free.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

Good, so it wasn't just me. Seemingly every time I had to work on a brake rotor / wheel hub / related part that poo poo did not want to come apart.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's so strange. The rotors on my old Protege were simple to remove. Pull the final bracket and lift right off.

Both my dad and I beat on the back of these with a 8 pound sledge. Nothing.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

I'll just post this again because it was like seeing the light of the gods when I discovered this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

opengl128 posted:

I'll just post this again because it was like seeing the light of the gods when I discovered this method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Black magic isn't allowed!

I'm still well under warranty on my '10 speed3 (still 100,000kms or 3 years), but are there any common causes for my power to be down. The turbo still kicks at 3k, but not like it did 2 weeks ago. I just drove 2000kms over the course of a week, and it was fine that whole time, then 5 days ago I was out and it's not the same.

I booked a service, but I live in Alberta and my highway washed out, so I'm heading in next week. This should really be a warranty issue, shouldn't it? I'm scared.

EDIT: Worth mentioning, the car informed me that I'm due for an oil change 2 weeks ago, I just haven't had a chance to go, it's an hour and a half drive. Can the car limit power if I'm not servicing it when it says?

While we're on the topic, any Calgarians recommend one way or another, which dealership is the best for service?

Everything is 100% stock.

BiRD BoY fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 23, 2013

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

The car won't limit power based on the service interval indicator.

If it feels off, take it in. Any smoking or anything? Might just be a leaky hose or bad gas. Any CEL?

Don't drive 3 hours round trip for an oil change. Find a local shop, bring your own oil (Rotella T6) and get a receipt.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

SynMoo posted:

The car won't limit power based on the service interval indicator.

If it feels off, take it in. Any smoking or anything? Might just be a leaky hose or bad gas. Any CEL?

Don't drive 3 hours round trip for an oil change. Find a local shop, bring your own oil (Rotella T6) and get a receipt.

No CEL, no code on my scanner. No smoking, runs smooth, but long starts when warm [just like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MBPXFNSAc without the rough idle] I told the dealership about it last time, and they told me they "ran a scan and nothing came back" then tried to charge me $90 telling me what I witnessed never happened. Got it on video this time, though. Fuckers.

Sound advice on the local shop, but I do like getting into the city every few weeks anyway, so it's also an excuse.

Checked hoses, but I'm not all that knowledgeable where engines are concerned.

I'll report back when they tell me I'm nuts and it feels less powerful because they fixed torque steer, or some bull.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Carbon build up? Lot of short trips?

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

Bovril Delight posted:

Carbon build up? Lot of short trips?

Actually, yes. Small town.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

SynMoo posted:

Or honestly, even if you've never done your own maintenance, this is a great time to try it out. 2nd gen MS3's are seriously the easiest oil changes I've ever done. They changed from cartridge filters to spin-on filters for 2010+, there's a cut-out in the plastic undertray for easy direct filter access, There's nothing to get in the way for oil to drip on or anything unlike my NA miata or old accord. I love it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Hey, I own a Legacy Gt wagon, which I am never selling but is getting closer to a track car as days on, and am currently shopping commuters because turbo subarus love to drink fuel.
In any event, I test drove a 2013 Mazda 2 touring with a 5 speed and love the poo poo out of it. Great gear box (almost as good as my brother's Rx-8) and more pick up that I would expect from 100hp. It drives like a go car and I actually fit (which is hard in this class as I'm 6'4").

Assuming I can get a great deal (factoring the fact that it is end of the model), is there any reason not to buy one I'm missing? I don't care about interiors or NVH. Yes, I am considering buying some RPF-1s and Hoosier A6s and having fun stock class autocross.

I drove a 3 skyactiv, and it wasn't as fun and actually has less front leg room.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

BiRD BoY posted:

Actually, yes. Small town.
Time for...
The Italian Job Tuneup

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I missed an email from Corksport, my intake is in stock! Yay for parts!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

Hey, I own a Legacy Gt wagon, which I am never selling but is getting closer to a track car as days on, and am currently shopping commuters because turbo subarus love to drink fuel.
In any event, I test drove a 2013 Mazda 2 touring with a 5 speed and love the poo poo out of it. Great gear box (almost as good as my brother's Rx-8) and more pick up that I would expect from 100hp. It drives like a go car and I actually fit (which is hard in this class as I'm 6'4").

Assuming I can get a great deal (factoring the fact that it is end of the model), is there any reason not to buy one I'm missing? I don't care about interiors or NVH. Yes, I am considering buying some RPF-1s and Hoosier A6s and having fun stock class autocross.

I drove a 3 skyactiv, and it wasn't as fun and actually has less front leg room.

Do it so that I can live vicariously through you. I think they're fantastic little cars, I just can't get over the price versus the otherwise very spartan feature set. I test drove one when they came out and was smiling pretty much the whole time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
When you say it's the end of this model, do you mean this generation or entirely? I thought I read that Mazda is going to make a version for Toyota. How have the sales been in the U.S./Canada? I don't see that many around. I sometimes wonder if I would have bought a 2 instead of a 3 if they had been available.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CharlesM posted:

When you say it's the end of this model, do you mean this generation or entirely? I thought I read that Mazda is going to make a version for Toyota. How have the sales been in the U.S./Canada? I don't see that many around. I sometimes wonder if I would have bought a 2 instead of a 3 if they had been available.

My understanding is that 2013 is the last of this gen, but we will see a new one released in early 2014 (maybe as a 2015).

The new one supposedly is on a massively shortened mazda6/cx-5 platform and will have skyactiv engines.

Oh and compared to my subaru there are loads of features in a mazda 2. It has an aux-in AND steering wheel controls.

Edit: And a cabin air filter! (Yes, this was an option only on 2005 legacies -- an option my po did not check).

nm fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 25, 2013

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2014 Mazda 3 Official pics:

Only 2 launch engines confirmed so far: the 2.0l 155hp Skyactiv 4, and the 2.5l Skyactiv from the new 6 with 184hp. No Speed/diesel mentioned, yet.

Looks better in the new pics, but something about that new interior is offputting compared to the current.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 26, 2013

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

No manual trans with the 2.5L. Damnit! There really is no perfect car for me out there in the world.

http://imgur.com/a/2o84D

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SynMoo posted:

No manual trans with the 2.5L.
That's not what AutoBlog says:

quote:

...buyers can expect to find a Skyactiv-G 2.0-liter gasoline engine with 155 horsepower and 150 pound-feet of torque...Mazda also offers a 2.5-liter Skyactiv-G gasoline mill with 184 hp and 185 lb-ft of torque.

Both engines can be mated to either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/26/mazda3-officially-unveiled/

NY Daily News agrees:

quote:

Buyers have a choice of two “SkyActiv” 4-cylinder engines: the base 155-horsepower 2.0-liter, or a punchier 184-hp 2.5-liter. Either one is available with a 6-speed manual or 6-speed automatic transmission.
http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/mazda-updates-best-selling-model-sets-sites-civic-corolla-focus-sonic-article-1.1383116

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 26, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I can get why they want to tie higher trims with automatic only in a people-hauler like the CX5, and maybe only the highest trim in the Mazda6... but it seems like not offering the stick across the board in the 3 would be a horrible idea.

At any rate, that's one sharp looking car, easily better than the second gen and maybe even better looking than the first.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

treizebee posted:

Time for...
The Italian Job Tuneup

I did not know about this. The logic seems sound. Is this all they're going to do at the dealership?

If it's under warranty, is this a warranty issue?

drat my granny shifting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I hope that's the case. Info sent to dealers (in my prior post) disagrees.