Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Wait, so the Aztecs are hardcore mass-sacrificing, inter-dimensional invaders? That's pretty freaking awesome, but how the heck did that happen (and please tell you it'll happen again with Mongols or something riding their horses out of a flaming sky or something. Genghis Khan will be temporarily confused, but then figure "aw gently caress it" and proceed to conquer Sonendar).

The in game story goes that you learn in TOG as a viking ruler is that the Vikings discovered Greenland then three ships went on to find North America and go down the coast until they ran head-first into budding Aztec Empire. The Aztecs captured and sacrificed two of the ships and sent the third back with a warning that everyone who landed on their shores would die. They then dissect and reverse engineer the two long boats and metal working captured from the vikings and three hundred years a highly advanced Aztec Expedition lands in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Omnicarus posted:

The in game story goes that you learn in TOG as a viking ruler is that the Vikings discovered Greenland then three ships went on to find North America and go down the coast until they ran head-first into budding Aztec Empire. The Aztecs captured and sacrificed two of the ships and sent the third back with a warning that everyone who landed on their shores would die. They then dissect and reverse engineer the two long boats and metal working captured from the vikings and three hundred years a highly advanced Aztec Expedition lands in Europe.

I wonder what happened to all that smallpox etc then, mind you around the time of Erik the Red, there wasn't actually much European diseases in Icelandic communities.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AfroSquirrel posted:

You can grab the 'Girl Power' mod posted a couple pages back. It also lets ladies hold council positions under Absolute Cognatic if they have a suitable education.

I went back 10 pages and didn't see it. Could you link it, please? I actually have a Midas Touched Genius daughter right now and holy gently caress it's terrible that her massive intellect is going to waste.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

AdjectiveNoun posted:

What are some good Desmesnes within the Holy Roman Empire? Most of the German duchies seem rather unexceptional compared to, say, Byzantine, Persian or Egyptian duchies.

Holstein is also a good duchy, 22 holdings in 4 counties, and all four are coastal. Of course Holstein is only de jure HRE in the later start dates (Rise of the Hansa and later).

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Are there any good Roman Empire mods that are out? I know Mare Nostra is restarting, Lux Invicita definitely doesn't count, and I'm not sure what is going on with that Antiquity mod.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The latest patch broke the poo poo out of this game on macs, I hope it gets fixed soon. Can't play more than a minute without the game stuttering to poo poo and my laptop heating up into a small neutron star.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

My Fylkir died, and his son won the election to succeed him. Solid stats, some bad traits, but it turns out he'd been spending his reign in Scotland by repeatedly calling all my other vassals into war. I have five pissed off kings trying to decide which worthless non-kinsman should replace me. This is going to be a rocky transition, even with my two sons ruling Scotland and Sweden now.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I went back 10 pages and didn't see it. Could you link it, please? I actually have a Midas Touched Genius daughter right now and holy gently caress it's terrible that her massive intellect is going to waste.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/bacy8vdjbg9m5mq/Girl+Power.zip

It's not vanilla-save-compatible though.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

A Tartan Tory posted:

I wonder what happened to all that smallpox etc then, mind you around the time of Erik the Red, there wasn't actually much European diseases in Icelandic communities.

Less than 200 years after the Black Death Europeans had started committing trans-Atlantic genocide (not with 100k+ soldiers, admittedly), so I guess it's not that far-fetched.

Without the Europeans sticking around to kick them while they're down it might play out similarly to the Black Death, with the culture surviving mostly intact but with some pretty drastic social changes.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Just pulled the trigger on this game thanks the sale. Am trying out a newbies adventure in Ireland, following the relevant lets play and so on.

So far finding it difficult to keep track of my growing court (the old-Irish names certainly dont help) but I think I'm 'getting it' in terms of getting attached to certain characters and discerning personalities.

The one person who stands out is the 74 year old perv who has a strong claim on Tyrone and Oriel, I sent my 16 year old daughter to marry him as soon as she came of age (at this point he was 69) hoping to get in on his claim and pop out a sprog before he popped his clogs. 5 years later and his withered old self has given me 2 grandsons and a granddaughter while simultaneously pleasuring his lover; the widow of my father. Dirty old git.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What does Girlpower Mod actually do?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
It turns all male characters female.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Geokinesis posted:

Destroys the patriarchy.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A Tartan Tory posted:

Actually Sunset Invasion goes into that if you play long enough :) Eventually you start hearing about mass deaths across North America as Aztec conquistadors bring back smallpox and it leads to an internal collapse and total war between the Aztecs and Mayans, meaning no more reinforcements from North America and apparently an anarchic, Mad Max meets Apocalypto scenario across North America.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Rejected Fate posted:

Send him enough money for him to pay his way out. Or can you pay the ransom yourself? I forget. Check the diplomacy menu of whoever holds your heir.

I tried both, but the diplomacy menus didn't have anything about getting anyone out of prison. Oh well, his younger brother has better stats anyway, so I might just send an assassin to stab him in his dungeon cell :v:

Is raiding only for Pagan religions, or can I still raid after I reform the Norse religion?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Geokinesis posted:

Checking through diffs:
  • Adds a minor title for the appropriate culture of "shieldmaiden" (requires norse reformed or norse pagan culture, martial education, overall real minor).
  • Scraps is_female = no requirements from a ton of ambitions (because it's valid for women to do a lot of that stuff now, like become chancellor or become the heir).
  • Allows women to be the target of claimant factions.
  • Gets rid of female restrictions on some plots (some of which seem redundant - you no longer have to be male to plot to kill your old/barren wife :psyduck:)
  • Gets rid of the negative opinion modifiers men have for female rulers/heirs (seems dumb to me, these opinion modifiers are definitely historically accurate)
  • Gets rid of some of the negative opinion modifiers for retracting de jure vassals and giving wrong religion vassals to people (which has nothing to do with women at all, I have no idea why this is here)
  • There's a new 'warriorwomen_traits.txt' file that has a trait for women to be 'born on the battlefield'...this does pretty much exactly what you'd expect.
  • Councilor positions may now be held by women if you have True Cognatic succession and an appropriate education. Spymaster may now be filled by anyone who's 16, instead of only your spouse or mother. Women can even be chaplain if they have the appropriate education, or exactly 10 learning. Yes, I'm pretty sure that one's a bug. :v:

The True Cognatic restrictions must also be lifted because I modded my game directly to do that, and the file I modified shows up as identical. Truthfully at this point I think if someone wanted to use the meat of this mod without invalidating saves, they could just take the True Cognatic changes from last page and then copy the changes in this mod from common\job_titles.txt, and you'd have all the major changes without needing to restart your game. I think, anyway. I guess job_titles.txt might not take effect without a restart.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 23, 2013

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Coolguye posted:

Checking through diffs:
Gets rid of the negative opinion modifiers men have for female rulers/heirs (seems dumb to me, these opinion modifiers are definitely historically accurate)

Still the dumbest poo poo ever if you're true cognatic. People shouldn't give a gently caress at that point.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

nutranurse posted:

Destroys the patriarchy.

What does the mod have against Orthodoxy? :saddowns:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

JGBeagle posted:

Still the dumbest poo poo ever if you're true cognatic. People shouldn't give a gently caress at that point.

Those within your realm shouldn't, those that don't have true cognatic should have a negative modifier.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011
I've run into a weird bug in my Persia game. I'm trying to make Cherson into a merchant republic which I do, that works fine, but for some reason my son, who did not get the republic, is no longer my heir. Anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
New to the game thanks to the Steam sale. I'm already making friends

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Coolguye posted:

You could just use the Gender Equality module from ck2+, if you delete the event it'll work perfectly with an otherwise vanilla game. That way you don't have the dumb restrictions from the Girl Power mod, plus it'll still be save compatible.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Meliv posted:

One screenshot tells the story of a mortal enmity between two colossal power-hungry assholes. Beautiful.

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

One screenshot tells the story of a mortal enmity between two colossal power-hungry assholes. Beautiful.

He had the last laugh. My Duke died first

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
They should add in a thing that you get as a ruler to vassals that lasts 5 years that is "opinion of father" and it's half of what their opinion of the dad was when he died. This would prevent issues like the inheret and suddenly no one likes you at all, giving you a small amount of time to formalize the kingdom on succession, as well as causing dishonerable acts before death to carry over and make a succession war more likely.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fuligin posted:

The latest patch broke the poo poo out of this game on macs, I hope it gets fixed soon. Can't play more than a minute without the game stuttering to poo poo and my laptop heating up into a small neutron star.

There was a point when the mac version wasn't broken as poo poo? I've just been using bootcamp to play this game in windows but when I last tried the mac version (which was quite a while ago) it would always freeze up after playing for a while. Annoying as hell that it works fine on the exact same machine in windows.

Meliv posted:

Haha this is wonderful.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Qwo posted:

It turns all male characters female.
Amusingly enough, there's actually a matriarchy mod that works this way, swapping all the names and pictures of genders so that the game treats and presents men as women, and vice versa. It's a rather clever solution, frankly, one that I would probably not have come up with on my own. I haven't gotten it myself, but apparently the only real issue with it is pregnancies can behave a bit wonkily or something.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Meliv posted:

+20 Merciful, though :unsmith:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Have paradox given any indication on what they plan to do for further DLC? I'm just curious how much longer they'll keep tweaking things.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Lord Lambeth posted:

Have paradox given any indication on what they plan to do for further DLC? I'm just curious how much longer they'll keep tweaking things.

Comedy Dynastic China and Korea option.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Lord Lambeth posted:

A few weeks back they said they would be rolling out CK2 DLCs for another two years. Next month there's some celtic minor dlcs for faces, unit graphics and music and another dynasty shield pack. They also said that 2 other minor DLCs unrelated to the ones I just mentioned will be out a month afterwards.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
What dictates when you can 'Offer to join war' for someone. I don't understand what it bases the option of of? Is it relation or popularity?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Megadyptes posted:

A few weeks back they said they would be rolling out CK2 DLCs for another two years. Next month there's some celtic minor dlcs for faces, unit graphics and music and another dynasty shield pack. They also said that 2 other minor DLCs unrelated to the ones I just mentioned will be out a month afterwards.

If they dont at least try and implement naval combat im going to scream.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lawman 0 posted:

If they dont at least try and implement naval combat im going to scream.

Haha that is clearly never going to happen.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SkySteak posted:

What dictates when you can 'Offer to join war' for someone. I don't understand what it bases the option of of? Is it relation or popularity?
If you're an ally. And I think maybe you can also offer if they're of the same religion being attacked in a religious war.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lord Lambeth posted:

If I'm remembering right (And I might not be because I'm often an idiot), they said they've got a couple years of DLCs still planned out.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
It was a tweet from one of the Paradox guys: https://twitter.com/producerjohan/status/341505597478432768

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
The Aztec DLC seemed successful, both financially and with regards to trolling the Paradox forums, so maybe they will do another alt-history one. Though I can't imagine a fitting event. Maybe the second coming in the year 1000 or something. I would love a DLC that expands court life, religious interaction and holy orders though

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

meatbag posted:

The Aztec DLC seemed successful, both financially and with regards to trolling the Paradox forums, so maybe they will do another alt-history one. Though I can't imagine a fitting event. Maybe the second coming in the year 1000 or something. I would love a DLC that expands court life, religious interaction and holy orders though

Maybe a horde involving the mediterranean sea/central europe? Someone else suggested this earlier but having the mysterious "Sea Peoples" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples) appear and start pillaging would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
In the weekend sale I nabbed sword of islam, republic, and legacy of rome DLCs for about half my beer budget. I've only really gone into a game as Pisa in the Fourth Crusade scenario, but even that alone is shockingly good. It's like playing a mob boss! In far more ways than the Italian connection, I mean... Freakin' Genoese and their mercenaries hired at the last minute making me look a fool to the council of princes...

Do republics get an artificial gold bonus, or is the massive trade income organic to the Italian peninsula? I never really spent much time there in the vanilla game except to sail past en route to a crusade, but the income per holding is INSANE. Our pair of duchies is making more money than when I held the Kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and for some reason Aragon. What am I not getting here?

• Locked thread