Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

xanthan posted:

4LAZJJW3972QB8GLJWHQ
There you go.

That was fast. Thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Cheston posted:

One of the Elites makes a volcano!
Raging Volcano doesn't actually make a volcano, it makes you spin around and shoots chains at things near you. I really don't get it, but it's hardly alone in skills that look nothing like what their descriptions or icons would suggest (Rail Turret, Mortar Support, everything in Chaos).

e: Speaking of confusing spell appearances, it took me a bit to figure out that Reap and Sew was actually that and not some boss mechanic I was supposed to run away from.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 23, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OneEightHundred posted:

Raging Volcano doesn't actually make a volcano, it makes you spin around and shoots chains at things near you. I really don't get it, but it's hardly alone in skills that look nothing like what their descriptions or icons would suggest (Rail Turret, Mortar Support, everything in Chaos).

I think he's talking about Eruption. My elite of choice in my builds just for the range.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Think Cheston is talking about Eruption.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are enemies supposed to be kinda damage spongy? I'm in mostly QL4-5 gear and poo poo just takes forever to kill with my AR, it also makes handling multiple non swarm-type enemies a royal pain. Is this just something I need to grit my teeth and deal with or have I somehow hosed myself up? I'm focusing mostly on the damage trees with only shot of anima for some much needed self healing at the moment.

Also the aggro mechanics in some areas are baffling, it's usually fine but places like the north woods in the second Kingsmouth area is completely absurd. You basically are in a state of constant fighting with no time to rest.

e: Oh a positive note though, players seem pretty helpful. In most MMOs people just leave you to die if they see you struggling to fight things but almost everytime someone near me would throw a few heals up or help me kill the monster. :3:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 23, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
While leveling with AR it will seem sluggish most of the time. This is a combination of low attack rating from green gear and a tradeoff for being highly surviveable from the leech healing.

Aggro ranges and the clusters of akab usually spell painful deaths. Its been a long while since I was there, but akab seem to also have the ability to call for help , summon friends and be around objects that also summon more akab. It can be a real headache.

vvvv
Look under achievements, they are tracked there. After 30I you get the bux.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 23, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I can get more playtime and funbux for doing enough missions, correct? Is there a way to check how many quests I solved?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are enemies supposed to be kinda damage spongy? I'm in mostly QL4-5 gear and poo poo just takes forever to kill with my AR, it also makes handling multiple non swarm-type enemies a royal pain. Is this just something I need to grit my teeth and deal with or have I somehow hosed myself up? I'm focusing mostly on the damage trees with only shot of anima for some much needed self healing at the moment.

Also the aggro mechanics in some areas are baffling, it's usually fine but places like the north woods in the second Kingsmouth area is completely absurd. You basically are in a state of constant fighting with no time to rest.

e: Oh a positive note though, players seem pretty helpful. In most MMOs people just leave you to die if they see you struggling to fight things but almost everytime someone near me would throw a few heals up or help me kill the monster. :3:

On top of what Hugh said, your build might also not be great. Hard to tell just from your post.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I can get more playtime and funbux for doing enough missions, correct? Is there a way to check how many quests I solved?

There are no longer subscriptions for time, you don't need to "earn" playtime. There is a Funcom point reward for... 30 missions I think it is, but I believe that is one time only. I think the Achievements tracker will give you info on your quest completion numbers.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
They are on a trial account, doing 30 gives an extra two days.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Was playing with a friend when we got the Orochi Polaris dungeon at the bridge on Solomon Island. It's recommended for 5 players and I don't know what QL, but it's listed as "normal" on the mission difficulty. I'm assuming the two of us trying it by ourselves will just get rolled and should seek goon backup to do it at some point. Yes?

Also, I cannot express how insanely happy I am that the mission "The Labyrinth" allows you to keep the hat afterwards. It lets me play out my Lovecraftian junior safety Cthulhu inspector fantasies.

Wolvorine
Nov 15, 2011

I am not drawing that.

OneEightHundred posted:

e: Speaking of confusing spell appearances, it took me a bit to figure out that Reap and Sew was actually that and not some boss mechanic I was supposed to run away from.

I still haven't figured out why it's called Reap and Sew instead of Reap and Sow. Was it on purpose or did some dev somewhere along the line just not know the difference?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
It's a pun. Like 12-Gouge.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think the aggro with those umbral bugs is messed up. Sometimes I'll shoot one and just that one bug will attack. Other times I'll shoot one and 3-4 of the big ones will bum rush me. As for the little ones, I actually saw a big bug charge at me from the outer limit of my view distance when I shot at a group of little bugs. Very annoying.

Of course, I also think I may have borked my build. Is Assault Rifle/Hammer any good? I'm alternating between the rifle shot that heals you and the hammer attack that increases your block chance while also using resource-using attacks when I can to put the hurt in (sorry for the lack of ability names, but there's a lot of info this game chucks at you). Even so, a lot of fights still come down to the wire, and if a second enemy joins in I'm proper hosed. Any advice on how to become a murder machine?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They are more spongy than in similar games, I think. A fight with one enemy is a bit more of a challenge and if you aggro a second or third you risk dying unless your build or gear is really good, the game is mostly designed that way but you can work around this somewhat. Potions can help, and so can specific builds or abilities.

And I know this area, I had the pleasure of getting my alt killed there repeatedly last week. The problem in that ak'ab area (actually all ak'ab areas) is that destroying things like brood marks will always spawn one or two more big ak'ab, and there are plenty of patrolling ak'ab which will aggro if their buddies get attacked nearby so it's easy to accidentally aggro a ton of them. I think at one point I was AoEing some little bugs for the item mission there and suddenly had like 10 ak'ab charging me from all directions.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Was playing with a friend when we got the Orochi Polaris dungeon at the bridge on Solomon Island. It's recommended for 5 players and I don't know what QL, but it's listed as "normal" on the mission difficulty. I'm assuming the two of us trying it by ourselves will just get rolled and should seek goon backup to do it at some point. Yes?
Dungeons generally require 5-man groups. You need quite a QL-advantage to 2-man or solo the lower level ones. Finding a group for them is easy though, there are almost always people who'll join a normal dungeon if you ask in general chat.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Can pubs/pugs be trusted? Not to say that I know what I'm doing or that I'm any good, but I'd rather not have a miserable time trying to play the game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pubbies are pubbies ie. it's a bit of a gamble - often you will have reasonably competent players, sometimes you will get the sort that makes a boss fight take three times as long as usual because their DPS is very low or they keep dying to every boss mechanic.

The first three normal dungeons (Polaris, Hell Raised and Darkness War) are easy enough thoush so they rarely go wrong. The probability for a miserable time sharply rises with Ankh and Hell Fallen which have DPS and execution checks a lot of pubbies in that level range can't do properly.

Things get slightly better in elite dungeons because there's often people in QL10 purples or full blues who know what they're doing (or have the raw numbers to compensate for being bad) and run the dungeon for money or aux upgrade kits. The chance to get utter failures in your group is always there, and Slaughterhouse has a very high chance to turn into a wipefest by the 2nd boss.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Flamethrower signet effects, for your consideration:

Augur - Increases the number of targets affected by Dragons Breath by x.
Binding - Every time Dragons Breath deals damage, the next hit deals x% more damage. The effect is cumulative.
Charge - Reduces the cooldown of Scorched Earth by x seconds.
Imprint - Increases the damage dealt by Scorched Earth by x%.
Mod - Increases the strength of the detrimental effect applied by "Smells Live Victory" to x.
Overdrive - Increases the critical hit and penetrating hit chance of Fire It Up by x%.
Seal - Increases the duration of the movement restriction effect applied by Cremate by x%.
Tune - Increases the damage dealt by the damage over time effect of Cremate by x%.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Expect Binding to be the most useful if it procs for every enemy hit.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Assuming your working with pubbies at what point should one do Polaris anyway?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Some are also gnarly old angries of an earlier mmorpg generation. Old habits die hard and for example in EQ it was considered really dickish to intervene with other peoples fights unless asked to do so. Etiquette was very different back then.

I'm one of those people. My sincere wish is that the people who help me in fights go drown themselves in the closest puddle. :reject:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fewd posted:

Some are also gnarly old angries of an earlier mmorpg generation. Old habits die hard and for example in EQ it was considered really dickish to intervene with other peoples fights unless asked to do so. Etiquette was very different back then.

I'm one of those people. My sincere wish is that the people who help me in fights go drown themselves in the closest puddle. :reject:

This. Stay the gently caress out of my fight unless I ask for help or am clearly running from a horde(If I am running from a horde, draw all the aggro cuz its funny as poo poo when someone dies trying to stop a train)

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Fewd posted:

It also depends a lot on the tapping and XP splitting mechanics. If someone sight-aggros a big blob of things and then someone dumps an AOE on a bunch of them, tapping them in the process, then that's kind of dickish. It XP splits regardless of tap, then that's also kind of being a dick. If it's something like GW2 and there are no taps whatsoever, then sure, go nuts.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

xanthan posted:

Assuming your working with pubbies at what point should one do Polaris anyway?

When you're wearing mostly QL 2-3 greens. It isn't that hard and pubbies are often better than goons in this game, you will be fine.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

guppy posted:

When you're wearing mostly QL 2-3 greens. It isn't that hard and pubbies are often better than goons in this game, you will be fine.

Literally every time I pug a dungeon there's a 1k DPS pubbie in 10.4 purps.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Half the time I pug the (normal difficulty) Ur-draug fight lasts 3 night phases, people do 200 DPS in QL10 blues or I get people who can't break the shield on NKL-107 to avoid 10k volts. YMMV.

The "some overgeared guy who makes the run much smoother" thing is always nice when it happens tho. Note: You can get goons to be that guy if you're on Mumble or in awful chat.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Is it just me or is the crafting system really buggy? If I hit the clear assembly items button, everything in the crafting window disappears completely from my inventory and only reappears if I exit and log in again. Also if place an extra ingredient into a recipe that already works, it "breaks" the recipe, so that I can't make the item, even if I remove the wrong ingredient. I'm forced to remove everything from the window and then place it all back, before I can actually make the item.

Also, is making weapons really as simple as just placing 7 identical pieces of metal in the right pattern along with a toolkit? The descriptions for the element ingredients seem to hint that they can add modifiers to "items" but it isn't clear whether that includes weapons or not.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 24, 2013

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I've been meaning to practice tanking (and maybe even testing out this heal set and build) so I'd totally be happy to run people through elites or normals if I'm around.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is it just me or is the crafting system really buggy? If I hit the clear assembly items button, everything in the crafting window disappears completely from my inventory and only reappears if I exit and log in again. Also if place an extra ingredient into a recipe that already works, it "breaks" the recipe, so that I can't make the item, even if I remove the wrong ingredient. I'm forced to remove everything from the window and then place it all back, before I can actually make the item.

Also, is making weapons really as simple as just placing 7 identical pieces of metal in the right pattern along with a toolkit? The descriptions for the element ingredients seem to hint that they can add modifiers to "items" but it isn't clear whether that includes weapons or not.
You can try ctrl-shift-f1 (I think?) or /reloadui if things disappear from your inventory. The inventory can be buggy at times but to me it's not constantly so. The crafting window frequently bugs out though, and the thing you noticed with "breaking" valid recipes with additional stuff is probably a side effect of Funcom disabling crafting of multiple items with stacks of materials in the past (due to bugs).

The elemental materials have effects on what sort of talisman/potion/gadget you create but weapons always consist of metal. In talismans the choice of material determines if you make a DPS, tank or healing item, but weapons just have the universal weapon power stat.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Oh man, not sure about the rest of the game, but the beginning made a hell of a good impression.

My handler is just straight insane.

Apparently I'm a beelord? Please tell me this goes insane places, and isn't just an excuse for Funcom to say "Oh yeah, all the beelords work together, that's why you can PvE with other factions! Because you are secretly all beelords, not Illuminati/Templars."

AR/Shotgun seems like it could make an interesting leech/tank build, although I haven't been able to check those skills yet. Does it matter whats my "first" ability, or will I be equally as tanky as AR/Shotgun as I would be as Shotgun/AR.

Do I only get to hang out with Geary in between mission hubs, or does she pop up to talk to me every now and then in the quest zones. Also I see Alex in that intro picture in the OP, so I assume that little group I worked with in the Tokyo subway will keep coming back.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You only get cutscenes with Geary before/after new regions, otherwise it's just text debriefings. You can always walk up to her and go through the conversations if you miss her, though. The trio from the tutorial flashback shows up in the raid and I think we're supposed to see them again in Tokyo but yeah, early 2013 and all that :woop:

Swalloing the bee (happens in the first seconds of starting the game so I won't spoiler that) enabled you to harness the life energy (anima) which makes you able to throw magic and shoot curveball bullets etc. All players are these bee-controllec mechas anima sorcerers which are needed to fight the impending doom. The plot's PoV is faction-centric but in the zones you're doing the same missions - it's presented as doing work in line with the interests of your faction and the survival of mankind, but that the factions are still very much in conflict with each other despite of a superficial truce.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 24, 2013

Unbearable
Apr 3, 2011

Is there some way to reset a tier of a mission? I'm on the fifth tier of 'They Never Stop Coming' and after I lit the fires someone else tagged the cultist leader I was supposed to kill, leaving me with a mission I can't complete because I can't light up the fires to summon the dude again.

e: nvm, picking another mission to pause the old one worked.

Unbearable fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 24, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Often (not always because of Funcom) you still get kill credit by attacking your target even if someone else tags mission mob first. But yeah resetting tiers works too although it's a bit clunky.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Did you get Whisper of Darkness testing done last night?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
How does recruiting a friend work in this? A friend of mine was wanting to recruit me to play this.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, I did /chat join awful, and am in channel #awful, but nobody else seems to be in it. Is it just usually dead around 2:30pm pacific time, or did I mess something up?

Also, where do I buy the Cairo expansion? Apparently the last two issues are not included with the base game? Don't really care about rebuying them, but can't seem to find them on the item store.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Toshimo posted:

Did you get Whisper of Darkness testing done last night?

We got started late, so no testing. Also one-shotted the boss. Still appears that no defensive stats, nor debilitate are worth anything on the raid.

Rookersh posted:

So, I did /chat join awful, and am in channel #awful, but nobody else seems to be in it. Is it just usually dead around 2:30pm pacific time, or did I mess something up?

Hardly anyone uses awful or cabal chat. Its all mumble at this point.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rookersh posted:

Also, where do I buy the Cairo expansion? Apparently the last two issues are not included with the base game? Don't really care about rebuying them, but can't seem to find them on the item store.

You can type /chat list awful to see who is in. It's usually not very many at any time.

Edit: Would it be worth popping onto testlive to check the Whisper thing? Two tanks and a healer would be all you need and you could test literally any stat build for free.

Len fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 24, 2013

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rookersh posted:

Let me rephrase what RevDr said. Of the people who just log in for raids and those who show up once a month to see if there's anything new, hardly anyone uses awful chat. No one uses cabal chat. Hugh, me and several of the people who joined more recently do log into awful chat either manually or with the auto-login scripts. It's just that number of players is pretty low, before maybe 5pm EST there's hardly anyone online (I often was but I can't really play for the next two weeks). As Plat said /chat list awful (I run that with the auto-login script so I see who's on every zone change) shows you if anyone is there. Mumble works more reliably if you want to get the veterans on the line, though. But facts are not a lot of goons still play TSW regularly. Raid nights see a lot of activity but that's it.

The DLC issues 5 and 6 are in the item store under "Boosts", then "Account". Everyone had to buy issue 6 (with monthly bonus points for subscribers) and issue 5 was only free for people who had an active subscription/were on their first months by the end of last year.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Talkc posted:

How does recruiting a friend work in this? A friend of mine was wanting to recruit me to play this.

register.thesecretworld.com has an "Invite a Buddy!" button on the left. You can enter a real email, or a junk email and just give out the code that it creates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rookersh posted:

Oh man, not sure about the rest of the game, but the beginning made a hell of a good impression.

My handler is just straight insane.

Apparently I'm a beelord? Please tell me this goes insane places, and isn't just an excuse for Funcom to say "Oh yeah, all the beelords work together, that's why you can PvE with other factions! Because you are secretly all beelords, not Illuminati/Templars."

AR/Shotgun seems like it could make an interesting leech/tank build, although I haven't been able to check those skills yet. Does it matter whats my "first" ability, or will I be equally as tanky as AR/Shotgun as I would be as Shotgun/AR.

Do I only get to hang out with Geary in between mission hubs, or does she pop up to talk to me every now and then in the quest zones. Also I see Alex in that intro picture in the OP, so I assume that little group I worked with in the Tokyo subway will keep coming back.

What you are is essentially

A white bloodcell. The bee flew into your mouth and reconfigured your body from the inside out to be a white blood cell of Gaia. You are empowered because the poo poo is hitting the fan and the Divine Machine needs you to kill the things attacking it, and you are likely to do so because you live on it.

The powers conferred by this make you useful, therefore the Secret Societies took an interest.

• Locked thread