Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Xun posted:

So, I just found my dad's fountain pen on the floor of my car and uh, he's been out of country for a couple months. It looks like it still has ink in it and I'm wondering if it's broken forever from sitting around in a car with nearly a full reservoir of ink or if it'll be okay if I let it soak in water for a while?

It'll probably be fine. I have a dad pen, and it spent 20-odd years with ink in it. It more or less works, except it doesn't feed properly. A few months is probably nothing, but if you're worried a little bit of ammonia or soap in the water (and flush that a few times) should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Yeah, you'll be fine, my stepdad gave me a pen set that had a minimum of 10 years dried ink in it, took a couple of days soaking in water + ammonia and it was fine after a lot of rinsing.

Edit: IF it happens to be a bladder fill, be very, VERY careful, do NOT operate the lever until it's soaked a LOT first. If the bladder is dried out you can crack it.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Guess what came today

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

poo poo, my Carene's had an accident and now it's writing like a firehose.

Used to be a fine nib.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Someone at my school liked my Lamy Safari so much they had to take it home with them.

Assholes.

Gives me an excuse to order some extra ink when I get a new one, since shipping costs a bunch no matter what!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tochiazuma posted:

Someone at my school liked my Lamy Safari so much they had to take it home with them.

Assholes.

Gives me an excuse to order some extra ink when I get a new one, since shipping costs a bunch no matter what!

Keep an eye on craigslist, fucker might try to sell it once the dumbfuck realizes it's a fountain pen.

Tank71
Jun 15, 2013
So is a "Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel GT" a good pen? I've recently purchased one and know nothing about fountain pens. I'd never seen this thread until now. I also ordered some parker ink. After reviewing this thread I will get something nicer!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Tank71 posted:

So is a "Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel GT" a good pen? I've recently purchased one and know nothing about fountain pens. I'd never seen this thread until now. I also ordered some parker ink. After reviewing this thread I will get something nicer!

The Parker GT is actually a good moderately priced pen from what I've seen.

Parker Quink (which, I assume is what you ordered) is a nice ink with nothing terribly special about it. It was originally designed for the Vac 51and reformulated over the years (super Quink). I actually have a pen inked in it right now and it works nicely, there's just no real shading or depth to it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:buddy: If only it fixed my handwriting. I love this pen. I'm torn on getting some kind of reservoir for the HoD ink I have in an eyedropper bottle because it belongs in this pen but I don't want to waste the Tsuki-Yo I have in there now because it's a gorgeous ink too.

It's marked as a fine nib, but I'm not sure what precisely constitutes a fine nib as far as Carenes go. I'll see if I can't dig up the scratch paper I wrote on to find out how bad the nib was hosed. It was feathering on cheap printer paper and wet as hell. Used the otoscope to check the alignment after each press on one tine or the other.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Guess what came today

How do you like it?

I have yet to have my defective replacement repaired. I've tried contacting the Canadian rep a few times to no avail, but it's been hard to muster up the energy to follow up since my Vac 700 and Micarta 2 are amazing.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
protip: don't wave away a fly with a fountain pen in your hand :gonk:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Inksplosion or unintended projectile implement?

teethgrinder posted:

How do you like it?

I have yet to have my defective replacement repaired. I've tried contacting the Canadian rep a few times to no avail, but it's been hard to muster up the energy to follow up since my Vac 700 and Micarta 2 are amazing.

I love it, but it seems to dribble a bit of ink down onto the nib but its quite earnestly the best pen I've ever possessed. It's smooth, but dry. And can keep up no matter what. Initially it was a bit of a hard starter because I'm used to the Al-Start triangular grip... but have quickly overcome this. I've yet to run out of ink, though I'm very much in the habit of refilling every morning so keep that in mind.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Inksplosion. I made blue splatters all the way across my desk, on my monitor, and finally up the wall. :downs:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I love it, but it seems to dribble a bit of ink down onto the nib but its quite earnestly the best pen I've ever possessed. It's smooth, but dry. And can keep up no matter what. Initially it was a bit of a hard starter because I'm used to the Al-Start triangular grip... but have quickly overcome this. I've yet to run out of ink, though I'm very much in the habit of refilling every morning so keep that in mind.
You should take the pen back or send it in or something. It's not supposed to dribble ink down the nib. My replacement does too, and will actually collect enough to drop a giant blob onto the page.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Everything Burrito posted:

Inksplosion. I made blue splatters all the way across my desk, on my monitor, and finally up the wall. :downs:

The one thing I hate about fountain pens...Pen spinning is a dangerous thing

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

teethgrinder posted:

You should take the pen back or send it in or something. It's not supposed to dribble ink down the nib. My replacement does too, and will actually collect enough to drop a giant blob onto the page.

I think it's something with my batch of HoD. It seems to want to run down the tines on my other pen as well.

Edit: However, cleaning the tines with an orange peel seems to have made it CLEAN!

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 21, 2013

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I think it's something with my batch of HoD. It seems to want to run down the tines on my other pen as well.

Maybe it's because you're filling it so often, then the environment of the pen is changing? The heat from your hand could be warming the ink and making expand. I had a leak problem yesterday when I topped up my VP in a cold room, then brought it into a heated exam hall.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Jeez, thanks to this thread, I've felt so :smug: now that I can walk into antique stores and actually feel knowledgeable about something (I still consider myself very much a beginner, though, since the creation of this thread :ohdear:). Now I always ask for fountain pens first thing, and it's amusing how none of these dealers know nothing on fountain pens. The downside is that they don't tend to sell very good ones, ones in good shape, or any at all because of it.

I did come across one that looks fascinating. It's a McKinney custom fountain pen, and they look like these: http://www.mckinneypens-store.com/index.php/unique-custom-handmade-pens/item/05-pen-types/fountain/

One gorgeous looking brown one was for sale for $138, but the guy offered to mark it down to just $100. Is this something I should bother with? Should I haggle some more? Would this be a stupid impulse buy? I wish I could know more about the pen before leaving the store.

Also, another one for sale was something like this one, but I'm not considering it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Well, called my dad! Looks like I'm suddenly the owner of some sort of Parker pen.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Jeez, thanks to this thread, I've felt so :smug: now that I can walk into antique stores and actually feel knowledgeable about something (I still consider myself very much a beginner, though, since the creation of this thread :ohdear:). Now I always ask for fountain pens first thing, and it's amusing how none of these dealers know nothing on fountain pens. The downside is that they don't tend to sell very good ones, ones in good shape, or any at all because of it.

I did come across one that looks fascinating. It's a McKinney custom fountain pen, and they look like these: http://www.mckinneypens-store.com/index.php/unique-custom-handmade-pens/item/05-pen-types/fountain/

One gorgeous looking brown one was for sale for $138, but the guy offered to mark it down to just $100. Is this something I should bother with? Should I haggle some more? Would this be a stupid impulse buy? I wish I could know more about the pen before leaving the store.

Also, another one for sale was something like this one, but I'm not considering it.

I wouldn't bother. With those custom pens like that you can't really ascertain the nib maker, what parts it will need if it explodes on you, or anything like that. There's too many great pens for $100 or less from reputable (and well-known) makers that something like that wouldn't even register for me.

edit: The parker above me - if you can get a clearer picture of the nib, or post the nomenclature, it's pretty easy to find out the model and get a rough estimate of the year that parkers were made.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Two pens to share here that might be of interest.

Both of these are Sheaffer Targa pens, probably from the 1970s. The bottom one is the better pen - it belonged to my Granfather, and came to me about 5 years ago from my dad. It's lovely. It's quite fat but not too heavy, and the nib is both lovely to look at and to use. It was serviced just before it came to me - it's got the oddest filling mechanism. The last half inch, 12mm on the tail of the pen unscrews and as you turn it, a hypodermic point extends from inside the nib. It's this that is dipped into the ink. Here's a pic I found on how to fill the pen. As you can see, it's not as obvious as it might be!

I love it, but it's of too much sentimental value to use every day, or carry around, so I bought the other Targa from eBay. It's nice, but a bit more scratchy, and less pleasurable to use. (It's also a cartridge pen, so a bit more straightforward.)

Nice pens. And the eBay one cost me less than my new TWSBI, too!

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Your Granddad's pen there definitely isn't a Targa. It's a Sheaffer PFM, or Pen For Men. It has the same sort of inlaid nib as the Targa, but is larger. Men don't use small pens, duh!

It uses Sheaffers ingenious snorkel filling mechanism, designed so you don't get ink on your fingers when filling.
Targas don't use the snorkel, they're too slim to hold all the parts needed.

You have some gorgeous pens there, I love Targas and snorkel fillers.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Vitamins posted:

Your Granddad's pen there definitely isn't a Targa. It's a Sheaffer PFM, or Pen For Men. It has the same sort of inlaid nib as the Targa, but is larger. Men don't use small pens, duh!

That's really good information - thanks a lot!

Related news - the replacement nib unit for my Vanishing Point will be with me tomorrow. I'll post some pics then.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Everything Burrito posted:

Lamy 2000 superiority :smug:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Pelikan superiority :agesilaus:

Also, congrats to Teach for getting an old PFM! I'm envious right now :v:

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

blowfish posted:

Pelikan superiority :agesilaus:

Also, congrats to Teach for getting an old PFM! I'm envious right now :v:

Speaking of Pelikans, I'm currently saving for a Pilot Elabo, but part of me wants to double down and get a Pelikan M400. I'm just on the fence about spending $300 on a writing instrument when there's so many Lamys and Pilots I could get for $200 or less.

Basically, tell me why I should choose a Pelikan.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's a piston filler with a good nib, but personally if you don't really care about the filling system as long as it works (plus filling pens is fun so who cares about reservoir size right??) go for any pen you like and get the nib done at a nibmeister. My Japanese EF writes smoother than my Lamy 1.1 italic and the 845 Custom in M that I tried because the guy who did the nib work worked for Sailor for over 20 years.

If you like the style, go for it, but remember to check out nibs.com and look at all the crazy offerings in your price range. For $300 I'd rather have a $200 pen with a $100 nib job than a $300 pen that's a good writer out of the box. Pen size, weight, and nib material (10k or 14k for a soft feedback or steel for a nail) are the largest factors for a pen you like.

That said, I'm fairly certain my next pen will be either a metal Falcon or a Custom 74 with a SF nib:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Xovaan posted:

It's a piston filler with a good nib, but personally if you don't really care about the filling system as long as it works (plus filling pens is fun so who cares about reservoir size right??) go for any pen you like and get the nib done at a nibmeister. My Japanese EF writes smoother than my Lamy 1.1 italic and the 845 Custom in M that I tried because the guy who did the nib work worked for Sailor for over 20 years.

If you like the style, go for it, but remember to check out nibs.com and look at all the crazy offerings in your price range. For $300 I'd rather have a $200 pen with a $100 nib job than a $300 pen that's a good writer out of the box. Pen size, weight, and nib material (10k or 14k for a soft feedback or steel for a nail) are the largest factors for a pen you like.

That said, I'm fairly certain my next pen will be either a metal Falcon or a Custom 74 with a SF nib:

Filling pens is fun, but some days I do worry about running out with the Safari. With the Lami 2k I can go for 2 days of 4 hour study sessions and ONLY THEN run out

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Even with an EF nib my Safari uses its ink supply quite fast. I can only write a few pages max before I see a noticeable loss of ink.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Xovaan posted:

If you love Pilot Blue, you should check out Sailor Jentle Sky High. It's the same general shade, but a little less purple and somehow more vibrant overall

Also Metal Falcons look cool as heck.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.

Xovaan posted:

I just picked up a resin Namiki Falcon. You know, the one that does not fit the larger-capacity CON-70 converter. Why that and not the metal one? Because it's half the price. To be fair, the CON-50 is not a terrible converter, but loads of people seem to hate it. I don't really mind it since it's easier to use than the CON-20.

I've got to say, the 14k SF nib writes super smooth, smoother than any fine nib has any right to be. If you've tried the VP fine nibs, you'll know what I mean. Except this nib actually gives you nice line variation without wrecking the nib. I have some iroshizuku yu-yake in it for now just to mess around with it, but I'm thinking it's going to get the Sailor Nano-black treatment and take over from my pelikan m205 as the workhorse pen.

What I'm trying to say is this: if you're on the fence about the Pilot falcon, get it now!

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I've enjoyed my Pelikan 205 a lot but I find myself using my Parker Jotter more at work. The Jotter occasionally requires a little space to get the ball moving and the ink flowing. I continue to use it because that click is just oh so satisfying and it's held up pretty well.

I'm looking for a replacement on the ballpoint. Can anyone recommend something a few steps up from the Jotter?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

JP Money posted:

Even with an EF nib my Safari uses its ink supply quite fast. I can only write a few pages max before I see a noticeable loss of ink.

That seems crazy to me since I get at least 7 pages of notes out of my Safari with a 1.5 italic nib. Which is okay, but compared to the pens I have that have integrated filling systems it's not much. Hell I'm not even sure how many pages I can get out of my TWSBIs (haven't really come close to making a dent in the Vac's ink reservoir yet despite writing 6 full pages with it. Actually there is a dent now that I check, I had managed to get a completely full fill with it, could only see the smallest of bubbles if you tilted the pen, and now it has like 2 mm of space between the ink and one end.

Edit: Just remembered that I also used it for the pen pal letter I wrote and that was like 5 pages itself.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

kim jong-illin posted:

Thanks for the advice! Will grab some ammonia and see if that fixes it.

A 1:4 dilution of ammonia washed out a surprising amount of sediment and black ink from my Lamy Safari and it's now back to normal, albeit somewhat scratchier than before. Curious how Noodler's Bulletproof black did that to my pen and not other people's.

How does ammonia work over (eg.) alcohol and other sediments?

Also waiting on my Lamy 2000 to arrive, which has been stuck at customs for 4 days now. It's got some Noodler's Walnut Brown ink with it, which should be a nice change from my usual black.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thelonious Monk posted:

I just picked up a resin Namiki Falcon. You know, the one that does not fit the larger-capacity CON-70 converter. Why that and not the metal one? Because it's half the price. To be fair, the CON-50 is not a terrible converter, but loads of people seem to hate it. I don't really mind it since it's easier to use than the CON-20.

I've got to say, the 14k SF nib writes super smooth, smoother than any fine nib has any right to be. If you've tried the VP fine nibs, you'll know what I mean. Except this nib actually gives you nice line variation without wrecking the nib. I have some iroshizuku yu-yake in it for now just to mess around with it, but I'm thinking it's going to get the Sailor Nano-black treatment and take over from my pelikan m205 as the workhorse pen.

What I'm trying to say is this: if you're on the fence about the Pilot falcon, get it now!

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm not saying that I only get 4 or 5 pages or something. I'm just saying that it seems to run out very quick and often after I write 2 or 3 pages I start to notice how much ink has been used up.

I don't mind refilling it as it's quick and very easy it's just kind of annoying that it holds so little. If you look at the converter the red handle takes up way too much room and it doesn't even make it to the end of the pen body. They could easily have it hold 50% more ink by shortening the handle and extending the actual reservoir. I guess it's a good excuse to keep fresh ink in your pen though which is probably good.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

JP Money posted:

I'm not saying that I only get 4 or 5 pages or something. I'm just saying that it seems to run out very quick and often after I write 2 or 3 pages I start to notice how much ink has been used up.

I don't mind refilling it as it's quick and very easy it's just kind of annoying that it holds so little. If you look at the converter the red handle takes up way too much room and it doesn't even make it to the end of the pen body. They could easily have it hold 50% more ink by shortening the handle and extending the actual reservoir. I guess it's a good excuse to keep fresh ink in your pen though which is probably good.

They probably can't shorten the handle since that's what the plunger screws up into. They could make the whole thing longer, but I think they use the converter for several Lamy pens, and they'd have to produce a few converter models to cover the different sized pens. This is just a one-size-fits-all thing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Bahama.Llama posted:

I'm looking for a replacement on the ballpoint. Can anyone recommend something a few steps up from the Jotter?
Find something that uses the Montblanc rollerball refills (you can get an actual MB pretty cheap), they're incredible.

Inevitable Ross
Jul 1, 2007
Have you accepted Bob as your personal Lord and Savior?
If you like the Pilot G2, all it takes is a sharp knife and $15. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/10/pilot-g2-mont-blanc-ink-refill-cheap-amazing-pen/

I spent a few years using this trick, and apart from the refills clogging like fiends after awhile, was pretty happy with the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Well the thing to keep in mind about the safari is that the ink window covers about the top third of the pens actual reservoir, you will have all the ink between the bottom of the window and the feed, plus all the ink in the feed. which might consititute 3/4s of total ink capacity

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 25, 2013