Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Aliens. They're what have always been missing from CK2.

Willie Tomg posted:

Do republics get an artificial gold bonus, or is the massive trade income organic to the Italian peninsula? I never really spent much time there in the vanilla game except to sail past en route to a crusade, but the income per holding is INSANE. Our pair of duchies is making more money than when I held the Kingdoms of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and for some reason Aragon. What am I not getting here?
They get to build trade posts, which give additional gold. And even without that, they directly rule cities instead of castles (cities have better gold production), and their vassals are generally going to be republican government, which by default pays 40%(?) taxes instead of 0%.

So, it's neither artificial nor native to Italy specifically, it's just a republic vs. kingdom thing.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Aliens. They're what have always been missing from CK2.

Space Jews

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is there any benefit to converting to a catholic heresy? (Apart from rp/immersion benefit.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Geokinesis posted:

Is there any benefit to converting to a catholic heresy? (Apart from rp/immersion benefit.)
Immunity from excommunication, and holy wars on all your neighbors.

(At the cost of them being able to holy war you, of course.)

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I died and my heir was about 9 so sent myself to be educated at a high dip Duke. She must have been really good because as soon as I turned 16 I we became lovers.

She was 40. :gonk:

Edit: It probably didn't need to be said, but yes she is related to me.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 24, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
I for one am partial to Red Jews.

Dear thread, I have a modding question:

Is it possible to make it so that any character can offer to join any other character's war? Rather than it being restricted to holy wars/alliances?

Or is that hardcoded?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So the Norse keep launching prepared invasions on Aragon of all places in my most recent CK2+ game. :psyduck:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Dear god. The dark ages Britannia mod is certainly interesting and thorough, but there are a fair number of questionable design decisions. Like the one where if the High Kingdom of Britannia is inherited by someone with martial below 11 (or below age 20, or who has less than 500 prestige, or a number of other requirements), it immediately and completely dissolves.

Certainly a surprise when you've been destroying kingdom titles to get everything nice and unified under the High King, and suddenly you're dropped down to a count.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Strudel Man posted:

Dear god. The dark ages Britannia mod is certainly interesting and thorough, but there are a fair number of questionable design decisions. Like the one where if the High Kingdom of Britannia is inherited by someone with martial below 11 (or below age 20, or who has less than 500 prestige, or a number of other requirements), it immediately and completely dissolves.

Certainly a surprise when you've been destroying kingdom titles to get everything nice and unified under the High King, and suddenly you're dropped down to a count.

Holy poo poo that's absurd, I'm glad I didn't play a very long game of it so I never came across that :psyduck:

Also, crossposting this from the general Paradox thread because I'm kind of dumb and had both open at once when I wrote it.

Is there an easy way to make a new map or adjust the existing one extensively? Obviously more than one mod has done so but I'm wondering if things like Sonendar have taken months of work or what. Any tutorials? There's one or two on the Pox forums but it seems pretty darned longwinded to add one province and I can't imagine it'd be viable to come up with a whole new map all by yourself like DrSunshine has if every single province requires that much.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Anyone know how to manually set up a republic? I want Norse Iceland.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mister Adequate posted:

Holy poo poo that's absurd, I'm glad I didn't play a very long game of it so I never came across that :psyduck:
There's also an ambition and event chain to restore the Old Gods, for the worshippers thereof after Christianity starts spreading. It involves tracking down 13 artifacts, including Excalibur, over a period potentially of decades. Once you collect them all, you hold a grand ritual, and potentially sacrifice your own son in order to see the gods restored.

And then at the end, it has a 50% chance of failing. Or, rather, if have a couple of strongly positive traits or really high piety, it has a 50% chance of failing. Otherwise, it's certain to fail. Just...weird.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Give a duchy to a mayor.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 24, 2013

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Strudel Man posted:

Give a duchy to a mayor.

And they have to have access to the coast. Although with Iceland that won't be a problem.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So what happens if you give a landed title to a Muslim holy order? Thinking of Jihadding Nicaea and then giving it to the Ghazi.

Ah, wait saved and tried it out. Just turns into a regular Sultan.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Oh god.

He had it all (well all of Ireland, but still).

Then he died, and a fair amount of people hated his heir. However they'd just been crusading so hopefully they'd have as few troops as the new king. However when a revolt started they had an event where people flocked to the enemies banners giving them immense armies compared to the crusade ruined army of the king and loyal vassals.

Lost the war and consequently the Kingdom of Ireland but kept a 2 Duchys, then got stressed from having a wife and lover, then died of stress.

I am now a 12 year old girl with no heir, who is duchess of Wessex and hold some land in Ireland, and was already embroiled in a succession war for England and I have no troops to speak of.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How do you take those screenshots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

f12, just like any steam game.

Also I'm running a tavern now.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 24, 2013

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

Independence revolts can gently caress right off. You have 72 relations with me and I gave you the drat kingdom, not to mention you apparently don't remember the countless others who have tried to revolt against me and end up rotting in my dungeon. Oh well, at least it's better than putting the speed on fastest and sitting around doing nothing.

In good news, I managed to get the Arabian Empire into the hands of a Slavic ruler. Sunni Islam will fall before the might of Perun :black101:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Use console commands. I'm playing Norse Gotland from 867 atm and am tearing up.

Speaking of which. How Does the "connected to capital" bonus work? I assumed it was based on controlled sea zones, but some that should under those circumstances have it and others don't.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
So the fun of the Mighty Thor of the the Thunderbringer merchants.

Thor was born into a venician trading family, embraced the old religion of norse and went to Ireland to start up his own trading empire.

Took over the duchy of Munster, declared independence and proceeded to completely destroy the armies of the Venician trade empire.

I am currently the King of England, Scotland, and Ireland. I actively gatherd the land for Ireland, took scotland from Ivar's descendents, but my vassals handed me England.

Oh, and thanks to taking maximum concubines at all times, my dynasty has 10 unlanded me that are currently married and prepped for baby making. Through alliances I was invited into a prepared invasion of the Netherlands for one of my extended family. I died, said extended family moved one step closer to being my played character (since for some reason I'm in seniority succession instead of patrician). I die again and am now playing AS the guy that did the planned invasion. I throw the entire might of the Empire of Brittania behind the planned invasion, and take over the entirety of norther germany.

I have yet to reform my religion, and question the merits of doing so when I don't suffer from Gavelkind succession.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

f12, just like any steam game.

Also I'm running a tavern now.

That event chain is the best "Improve X". The choices actually matter! Also free money, and the mental image of an Emperor twice-over serving drinks at a tavern.

Speaking of double-Emperors, is there a reason I should have multiple Empires, or should I just pick the color I like best and destroy the other title?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
There needs to be Crusader Hotel

Take control of one of the feuding hotel dynasties! Put salt on your plate! Assasinate the local businessman's friend to get him to pay royalties!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Make a Mayor the count of one of the provinces in Iceland. Then give him the Duchy of Iceland. Instant Merchant Republic

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

How long does it usually take for a merchant republic to start making trade posts? I just gave the Grand Mayor of the Isle of Man the Duchy of the Isles, makes it a republic. It's been about 30yrs since and I've yet to see 1 trade post in the region. Is it because the Doge's vassal counties are ruled by counts?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Check to make sure they have the Trade Practices tech up to two, at least. If you go to the Archon's page you can see the Houses as vassals under him, to make sure they actually exist.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:argh: Stupid norse Jarl. I had 99% war score and you decide to convert to Catholicism?!!

Thor would be pissed if he wasn't a heathen fairy tale!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

AfroSquirrel posted:

Speaking of double-Emperors, is there a reason I should have multiple Empires, or should I just pick the color I like best and destroy the other title?
You should give the other empire to your second son.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I thought I'd try turning one of my kids into a Merchant Republic, playing as him, and then seeing what happened to the Empire.

I turned a 16 year old Genius son into the Doge of Galicia. I then saved and reloaded as him, and now that he is old and about to die, the world has gone to hell.

Brittania was made out of the Kingdoms of Ireland, Wales, Scotland, England, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Pommerania, Germany, Frisia, Brittany, Galicia, Asturias, Castille, Navarra, and large parts of Finland, Aragon, Bavaria, and Lithuania. Every kingdom but Frisia was ruled by a family member, had an Elective Monarchy, and was at Medium Authority. Brittania itself was also at Medium Authority. The entire Duchy of Flanders was owned by the Emperor as his personal desmense, with the capital in Brugge.

The first 30 years were great, but as soon as the Emperor died his heir immediately tried to raise authority to High. Scotland and Sweden decided to leave, and he let them. Denmark then left, and somehow I ended up a vassal to Denmark, which really screwed up my plans. Germany revolted later, during which the Emperor died, and then almost immediately the new Emperor died. I used the confusion to declare independence from Denmark, and formed the Kingdom of Aragon (although my capital is still Galicia).

Sweden and Germany are no longer ruled by my family, but all the other Kingdoms still are. I'm also rich as Croesus, and can't build anything because my tech levels are still too low.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Is there a way to pass a Duchy title to my liege?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SERPUS posted:

Is there a way to pass a Duchy title to my liege?

Can't you use the grant landed title diplo option? Maybe because he's not at your court..it won't work. I dunno why you'd want to anyway, though. Use the console unless you want to marry him to your daughter and kill all of your male heirs.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Is there some way to turn off the new custom music in the AGOT mod and go back to the normal CK2 music? It's great that the mod team went through the effort of composing a whole new original soundtrack and all, but it's... not very good.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Started an Irish game again, but to make life hard for myself, started as Ossory in stead of Desmond or Osmond. It's been a slow start, groomed my heir, he's strong, ambitious, diligent etc.
I got some claims on neighbouring counties, and I decided to press one. Turns out that count was on a crusade, and there was no army at all to stop me. Still had to hire mercs to sieze his holdings though :)
Oh, and I married my heir to the daughter of another count. Stabbed his son and now my daughter-in-law is the heir. I set up a complot to kill that count, and it's been sitting at 270% for almost 3 years now. Two failed attempts, and now nothing. If I do manage to stab him, my daughter-in-law inherits the county, and then my grandson (who is also strong, good bloodline) will ultimately inherit my county and hers right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Started an Irish game again, but to make life hard for myself, started as Ossory in stead of Desmond or Osmond. It's been a slow start, groomed my heir, he's strong, ambitious, diligent etc.
I got some claims on neighbouring counties, and I decided to press one. Turns out that count was on a crusade, and there was no army at all to stop me. Still had to hire mercs to sieze his holdings though :)
Oh, and I married my heir to the daughter of another count. Stabbed his son and now my daughter-in-law is the heir. I set up a complot to kill that count, and it's been sitting at 270% for almost 3 years now. Two failed attempts, and now nothing. If I do manage to stab him, my daughter-in-law inherits the county, and then my grandson (who is also strong, good bloodline) will ultimately inherit my county and hers right?

Yes. Hover over the titles to see a list of heirs, to be certain.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I guess I don't understand how I'm supposed to control decadence. Do I give away all of my land? Do I murder all of my children?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SERPUS posted:

Do I murder all of my children?

No. Just most of them.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

As Venice I managed to manipulate and stab my way into making my dynasty heir to a quadruple duchess (:psyduck:) in the Byzantine Empire. She only had daughters with my nephew, but it was all good as I married them to a couple of distant cousins. The duchess, who by this point loving hated me due to stabbing pretty much her entire family and 3 of her children, was in her 50s and had suffering from syphilis. Rather than stab her, I went off to stab some opposing families for some free inheritance gold while keeping an eye on her to make sure she didn't lose any of those duchies in independence revolts while I waited for her to die.

Out of the blue she joins a horribly doomed independence revolt, switches to Agnatic while in revolt, and then peaces out with the emperor within a year. At that point she promptly dies after disinheriting her own daughters and all of her titles go straight back to her liege.

:negative:

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 24, 2013

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
When y'all are doing all this stabbing, are these plots or just the assassination option in the diplomacy menu?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dirt Worshipper posted:

When y'all are doing all this stabbing, are these plots or just the assassination option in the diplomacy menu?

Both. Plot stabbing if possible and diplo stab as a last resort. Gifts, child education and chancellor relations boost are the easiest ways to get people in foreign courts to support your plots. If that fails, marrying off some of your courtiers into the target court can provide some extra backers (it's for this reason that I've stocked the Venetian court with horrible deceitful monsters and regularly educate my lesser dynasty members to be the same). If THAT fails, then send over the spymaster to build a spy network (for the diplo stab chance boost) and diplo stab away.

EDIT: You can also murder less favorable spymasters and such to get a more suitable replacement, but this is really only worth it with a difficult high value target.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 24, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Strudel Man posted:

It should certainly be better documented, but ultimately the Britons are a tribal people, and the tribal system they had was that someone among the kings was sometimes picked to be the high king. Being the High king was never a permanant thing. The Winter King is designed for a smaller scale, and composed of many fractured states to reflect the tribal peoples kicking about on the isles after the departure of the romans. Large states are generally designed to fall apart, otherwise you could conquer the whole map in two generations. but it is sadly too easy to not know that, he really ought to disable destroying the kingdom titles.

It's also worth bearing in mind that The Winter King is really based on the books by Betrand Cornwall, so cues are taken from that, including the outcome of the ambition to restore the old gods.

griffia
Dec 20, 2006
It can't be helped
I can't believe how this game has managed to suck me in so quickly, first play through in Ireland, and I decided to divorce my wife, due to her being to old to bear anymore children and only having daughters, I then married him off to the then princess of croatia, who through some crazy good luck ended up as the ruling queen, so now my current characters son will be king of both Ireland and Croatia.

It almost feels like I was some kind of strategic genius, but it more came down to picking some random person to marry and having something extreme luck as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iohannes
Aug 17, 2004

FREEEEEEEEEDOM
Is there any way to tweak diseases. Not too fond of my king dying of syphilis in the 10th century.

Strudel Man posted:

There's also an ambition and event chain to restore the Old Gods, for the worshippers thereof after Christianity starts spreading. It involves tracking down 13 artifacts, including Excalibur, over a period potentially of decades. Once you collect them all, you hold a grand ritual, and potentially sacrifice your own son in order to see the gods restored.

And then at the end, it has a 50% chance of failing. Or, rather, if have a couple of strongly positive traits or really high piety, it has a 50% chance of failing. Otherwise, it's certain to fail. Just...weird.

Give a duchy to a mayor.

Is that the Winter King one, because yeah, that's in the books.

• Locked thread