Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

blk posted:

Is this a good deal? All I've learned so far is that it has a clean title, no leaks and that the top is in "fair" shape with holes that need to be patched. From what I've read about E30 cabrios, when the top has a lot of holes, you should just replace it completely (although I'm not sure I follow the logic on the that). Waiting to hear on timing belt and if they still have the OEM wheels.

Is that a good deal?

Yes. it's a good deal.
I hate you so much right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

blk posted:

Is this a good deal? All I've learned so far is that it has a clean title, no leaks and that the top is in "fair" shape with holes that need to be patched. From what I've read about E30 cabrios, when the top has a lot of holes, you should just replace it completely (although I'm not sure I follow the logic on the that). Waiting to hear on timing belt and if they still have the OEM wheels.
Yeah, that's a great deal. Just make sure it's not too good to be true in person.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I was told the car has an oil cooler. The engine bay is a pile of plastic shrouds and sensor wires though so I haven't checked to see if it's actually there. I heard it was part of the sport package. The only time it hit the 250 range (maybe not quite that hot) was during spirited driving in 95 degree weather. I can probably avoid doing that. Driving across the country a couple weeks ago it was 220-230 and seemed happy.

The owner's manual for my 135i says that the normal operating range of the oil temp is 210-300 deg F, so 250 isn't anything to worry about.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Not really my style either, but if the MR2 I'm chasing falls through it might make a nice open-top alternative. That said, looks like I'd have to do timing, which I'm not sure I'm experienced enough for, and probably replace the top, which looks like a royal pain in the rear end. I'm not sure what to look for re: power steering fluid leaks. Just see if there's any fluid coming off the rack?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Bottom of the oil pan will accumulate both oil and power steering leaks so check the condition of it. I would assume it has a power steering leak on the lower hose because it seems to be a BMW thing.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
New 420 for page 420 :350:

I'm not sure how I feel about the 4 series yet. It seems a little dull, and I don't like the vent on the side, it looks too much like the sort of thing you buy at autozone to stick on your hoopty.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think all the new models are getting them side dooky things.

new X5:

...now that I think of it, I think Porsche started this "re-trend" a few years ago on the Panamera S.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 17, 2013

doogle
May 24, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I was told the car has an oil cooler. The engine bay is a pile of plastic shrouds and sensor wires though so I haven't checked to see if it's actually there. I heard it was part of the sport package. The only time it hit the 250 range (maybe not quite that hot) was during spirited driving in 95 degree weather. I can probably avoid doing that. Driving across the country a couple weeks ago it was 220-230 and seemed happy.

The line that is circled is the line that goes to the oil cooler. If you don't have an oil cooler, you won't have that line.

My modded 135i used to get to 250+ after spirited driving, but I installed the oil thermostat delete mod and now it barely ever goes over 230, even in 90+ degree weather. If you do have an oil cooler, I highly recommend this mod: http://burgertuning.com/low_temperature_thermostat_BMW_135_335.html. It forces all oil to go through the oil cooler all the time. The only issue with it is in 40 or below temperatures, it takes about 5-10 minutes longer to warm up than usual.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Speaking of oil coolers, are there any opinions on the 'Gulf Spec' optional filter housings with oil cooler connections that are available for the E39? I guess Gulf Spec means they were used on cars sent to the Middle East, and given the hot-rear end normal operating temp of the M62 (which I have made my peace with), it seems like it might be a good layer of insurance.

The housing is like $350-400 bucks, and then I assume I could just use whatever aftermarket cooler tucks down in the bumper or something, $100 for lines, done. As far as I know the housing has a thermostat, so it cuts the cooler out below a certain temperature.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
What is a fair price for a 2006 330i with just under 100K miles? The dealership I'm planning to visit has a sticker price of $15K (which is about $900 less than what they want for a same year 325i with 76K miles).

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ibntumart posted:

What is a fair price for a 2006 330i with just under 100K miles? The dealership I'm planning to visit has a sticker price of $15K (which is about $900 less than what they want for a same year 325i with 76K miles).

I usually start with private party "good" KBB value and go from there.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think all the new models are getting them side dooky things.

new X5:

...now that I think of it, I think Porsche started this "re-trend" a few years ago on the Panamera S.
mg]

drat, the new x5 is sexy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Welp I've gone through a gallon of distilled water since Memorial day topping off the coolant levels in my E30, sometimes I hate the summer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why BMW is so awesome BMW M3 Love Story

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Oh electronics :allears:

Friend pointed out the center running light on my taillight was out on my M3. I went to steal a bulb from my 328, except both those center ones were out. Then I tried both bulbs from my spare set of tails and both of THOSE were out.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Are they making LED automotive replacement bulbs in reasonable quantities now? I'm planning on doing an all-around LED upgrade if/when I get that E30. Fortunately the post facelift E92s are all LED :smug:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you talking about interior lights or headlights? Headlights are Xenon or HID.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Cojawfee posted:

Are you talking about interior lights or headlights? Headlights are Xenon or HID.

The context of Crustashio's post was rear brake light bulbs...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I didn't read his post.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Where do I buy OEM parts off the internet? I need a new diversity antenna amp for my e60 (the non-working keys were caused by corrosion on the amp board).
The sites in the link don't seem to carry a full set of parts.

Doctor Londom
Feb 24, 2006
I'm gonna get to the bottom of this and I don't give a fuck if you're at the top.
Get the part number on RealOEM and then search for it on ECS Tuning. GetBMWParts is also good.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Doctor Londom posted:

Get the part number on RealOEM and then search for it on ECS Tuning. GetBMWParts is also good.

Adding to this OEMBimmerParts, and Pelican Parts.

Really though you have to shop around, since some parts vary wildly.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
So for whatever reason it bothers me that I don’t think that I have an oil cooler on my 07 335i.  I read that the later years included a different oil filter housing with connection points for the OEM external oil cooler.  Mine was produced Jan. 2007.  What would I be looking for to determine whether or not I have the updated filter housing?  Blanked connections?

Next, if I insist on an oil cooler, should I go OEM or aftermarket?  I realize over cooling the oil is no good, but I would like to not be afraid of overheating the car.

A general question: what were the years for the N54 and N55? It looks like they were both available some years. It also looks like the later 335is models used the N54. Anyone care to tell this noob what and why?

I really like the way this car drives compared to my STi. Don't know if I should sell the one I have and buy one with a manual though :3

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So for whatever reason it bothers me that I don’t think that I have an oil cooler on my 07 335i.  I read that the later years included a different oil filter housing with connection points for the OEM external oil cooler.  Mine was produced Jan. 2007.  What would I be looking for to determine whether or not I have the updated filter housing?  Blanked connections?

Next, if I insist on an oil cooler, should I go OEM or aftermarket?  I realize over cooling the oil is no good, but I would like to not be afraid of overheating the car.

E39's had an option for a 'Gulf Spec' oil filter housing that had two extra lines for an oil cooler and I bet E90s did too. It's an OEM part, I'm sure if you dig on realoem or whatever that awesome site is with all the exploded diagrams, you can get the part number. The coolers/housings should have thermostats so they don't circulate cold oil.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

E39's had an option for a 'Gulf Spec' oil filter housing that had two extra lines for an oil cooler and I bet E90s did too. It's an OEM part, I'm sure if you dig on realoem or whatever that awesome site is with all the exploded diagrams, you can get the part number. The coolers/housings should have thermostats so they don't circulate cold oil.

Yea I looked on there briefly but didn't find what I think I need. I'll try again though. As far as oil thermostats, I figure the BMW ones have them but I don't want some shisty aftermarket one without.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
Try this VIN decoder and see if this result comes up for your car:

code:
S823A	 HEISSLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG	 Hot-climate version
I think the oil cooler is part of that package.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Mine does have the hot climate package. However, I read that it just means something about better AC performance or something blazed like that. I'm pretty certain my car doesn't have the cooler. I called BMW to see if they would install one for free since based on my reading, sport package cars produced after march 2007 had them. I feel like mine is within 2 months of that and I should get the cooler. Will update once they get back to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do you have any kind of warranty on it? I doubt they will want to do anything for free on a car that hasn't had a warranty in several years.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
BMW won't do anything without a class action lawsuit over it.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Up to now I've been dealing with a dealer. They said to call BMW customer care or relations or whatever and ask them. The dealer said that they've done this in the past and would go to bat for me but I have to initiate the process with BMW. Not looking too good, but could be worse. The manager of service at the dealership said he would definitely tell BMW that I needed it (high altitude) if he was asked by BMW. Still have yet to call them, and with the weekend coming I doubt anything will happen quickly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Wow, I'd have expected you to have been told to piss up a rope already. Good luck, I hope they sort you out. That'd be a pretty nice cookie

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
IIRC BMW had a TSB and/or voluntary recall on some of those due to overheating and limp mode complaints from customers. Not sure how long they uphold the TSB for but you might get lucky if you stick to saying the car overheats or goes into limp mode.

doogle
May 24, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Mine does have the hot climate package. However, I read that it just means something about better AC performance or something blazed like that. I'm pretty certain my car doesn't have the cooler. I called BMW to see if they would install one for free since based on my reading, sport package cars produced after march 2007 had them. I feel like mine is within 2 months of that and I should get the cooler. Will update once they get back to me.

I posted a picture of what to look for about 10 posts up, but here is another picture. It is of a N55, but it is in the same place as the N54 and is the same part.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

doogle posted:

I posted a picture of what to look for about 10 posts up, but here is another picture. It is of a N55, but it is in the same place as the N54 and is the same part.

I wonder how easy it would be to retrofit that cooler setup onto an M54. I wonder how much of the oil filter stand assembly is carried over from the M series engines to the N series, since they're located in the same place.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
:toot: Passed 2,000 of my own miles on the 540i this week.

I love it even more than the day I got it (may 3 iirc?).

Most annoying thing is that it does that weird glitchy thing and kicks the hazards on, turns on the interior light and turns the radio down. I gather it's some sort of crash sensor circuit but haven't nailed down if I can fix it or not. Other than that and a lowish idle (450-500) that i haven't quite licked, it's so perfect.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If the low idle bothers you, click the ac button on. Bumps the idle up to 700 ish. I could still never get over the low idle myself....

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I've been looking for some time for an e46 M3, but lately I have been toying with the idea of getting a much cheaper e36 M3. I have noticed one locally that has been price dropping on Craigslist for a few weeks. it's down to $6850 with 114k miles and seems to be in well kept condition. I have thoughts of going to check it out and seeing if I fall in love with it. What are your guys thoughts on the e36's? I don't know how good they are for reliability and what the going cost is on them as I have been so focused on e46's they never really crossed my mind. What should I look out for?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Cooling system, front & rear suspension. The car shares enough with the non M that replacement parts for most things aren't that bad. Will you be wrenching on it yourself? I couldn't recommend owning one of these cars if you aren't.

Post up the C/L ad and we can take a look to see if there are any other glaring issues.

e: one of the easiest ways to tell if its been in an accident is to look at the panels. If they are replacements, they'll have "DOT-R" listed on the labels. Reference the vin on the dash with the panels to see if they are factory.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
An e36 m3 is going to be a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain than an e46 m3 since it doesn't have many unique parts from a regular e36. Brakes + Suspension and the motor are the only big ones, the rest is pretty much a 325/328.

I love my e36 m3 but I bought it to autoX/track it, which is where the bulletproof motor and cheap parts are a plus. At this age they're going to be rattly and not super luxurious. It really depends on what you're looking for. If I wasn't tracking my car I probably would have kept my e46 ZHP, M3s never really crossed my mind.

With a 7k e36 definitely expect to spend 2-3k to get it "perfect".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So it has some dings especially on the front grille which is a minus and no e-brake because it sat awhile which could be an issue, but I feel like I could use it to talk the price down. I know a bit about cars and have done some work mostly minor on my 325i e30. I should note I will be keeping my 1987 e30 at my parents during the summer/spring/fall months and then swapping out cars in the winter leaving the m3 at their place. So I am in no rush or need to buy a car at this point.

http://madison.craigslist.org/cto/3889605458.html